HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLIII: A Change Is Gonna Come

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 03:31 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Maybe the players sense this is it and on the conference call say "were making a deal tonight"

Owners say, let's figure out this cap and pension issue guys and get you back on the ice.

Maybe....just maybe...
I'm jealous of how you can be so optimistic all the time

Old
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Some of my dislike for the NHLPA comes from their venom spewed about the very folks who write their paychecks; about the folks who attempt to make the league profitable; and specifically about the guy they will gladly take the Stanley Cup from when it is won.
Yeah, because not liking your boss, or not trusting your boss is SOOOOO unheard of.

Old
Confound
-Vindicated-

Pensions are the biggest roadblock and the reason we might have a cancelled season. Sucks but it's the truth.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
You're kidding yourself if you don't think that same venom is being spewed against the players by the owners, but it's a lot easier to keep a leash on 30 people than 700+.
Especially when those 30 owners face fines of up to $1 million for not towing the Bettman line.

Old
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Uhm, maybe they want to update the membership on what happened today? Nah, not necessary, players can just come to this thread to see what is going on.

and a 6pm vote for DOI again.
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Players will start voting on the disclaimer starting at 6pm tonight. Vote will end in 48 hours.

https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS
Based on the article I posted on Jason Chimera's quotes it sounds like an update would go like this..............

We are still locked out Bettman is mean. Fehr is great. Kool Aid for everyone - grape tonight.

Old
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Making money in a "bad" market isn't a good thing? Get off your ****ing high horse.
If you're selling 4 tickets and 4 hot dogs and 4 beverages for $200 along with free parking then yes, it is.

Ask fans in Vancouver paying $150 a ticket, $10 a beer and $40 to park if they want to prop up bad markets, all the while the quality of the product suffers.

Same cap this year as was scheduled.

67 million (with a floor set to the 60 million dollar level) for 13/14.

Fully linked cap for 14/15.

This allows well built and planned teams to stay how they INTENDED. With no cap on escrow there is no risk for owners.

Old
Legionnaire11

Quote:
and a 6pm vote for DOI again.
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Players will start voting on the disclaimer starting at 6pm tonight. Vote will end in 48 hours.

https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS
At least we know that there won't be any significant meetings or a deal agreed to in the next 48 hours. I'd bet it's Monday night at the earliest before anything productive starts up again.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Socal View Post
I completely disagree with the "neither side can afford to lose this season" The damage has already been done to the league because this will kill the growth of the league. All diehard fans will be back (that is why we waste our days here hoping for a deal) but this lockout is going to keep the casuals away. The length of this lockout has already done damage to the $$$. I really think the cancellation of the season is just a formality (but that is just me).

I do agree, if there were to be a deal, one side would HAVE to cave. There is no middle ground here, and that is a shame.
I don't agree with this at all. The vast majority of the U.S. national TV schedule is still ahead of us, as is the entire NBC schedule, and the playoffs. The only big loss as far as "casual" fans is the Winter Classic. I would imagine that most people start paying attention to hockey in January, when the NFL season is over (be it the regular season or the playoffs depending). If they fix this right now all they'll have lost is two weeks.

Old
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
You're kidding yourself if you don't think that same venom is being spewed against the players by the owners, but it's a lot easier to keep a leash on 30 people than 700+.
especially when the leader of the 30 has said, "speak and it will cost you $1MM."

Old
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
Pensions are the biggest roadblock and the reason we might have a cancelled season. Sucks but it's the truth.
If only Fehr was an actually good negotiator.

Fehr doesn't care about the game therefore he doesn't know how to use the PR of saying it would grow the game by taking away the risk of trying to get to the NHL and wasting youth.

Instead of merrrrrrr evil owners merrrrrr!

Old
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
I really wonder how the last lockout was handled on this site without twitter and all.

Old
Shoalzie

I'd be curious to see if we see a deal in the next 48 hours in response to another vote so we don't have another Mexican standoff during talks. The last time they voted was post-Bettman meltdown. This vote is going on during some fairly productive talks...will it play a factor?

My thoughts are this won't play a factor but if we get to next week and nothing is done, the players may reach for this again to pressure the league.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:34 PM
frivolousz21

So essentially the owners have caved over and over and when this deal is up another lockout will ensue.

Awesome.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:35 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
At least we know that there won't be any significant meetings or a deal agreed to in the next 48 hours. I'd bet it's Monday night at the earliest before anything productive starts up again.
Everyone knows how the vote's going to turn out, it was 700-20 last time...it's not like both sides don't know the bullet goes back in the gun Saturday night and stays there for the rest of the week until the drop-dead day. There's no reason for negotiations to stop for 48 hours just to wait for a fait accompli vote to take place.

Old
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Yeah, because not liking your boss, or not trusting your boss is SOOOOO unheard of.
Go elsewhere and work, seriously. I'm ready for replacement players and/or those willing to cross the lines.

Old
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
I don't agree with this at all. The vast majority of the U.S. national TV schedule is still ahead of us, as is the entire NBC schedule, and the playoffs. The only big loss as far as "casual" fans is the Winter Classic. I would imagine that most people start paying attention to hockey in January, when the NFL season is over (be it the regular season or the playoffs depending). If they fix this right now all they'll have lost is two weeks.
Aahhh, a voice of reason. Pretty sure everyone on here knows a few people that don't pay attention until the play-offs or until football is over. I would label them as casual fans and seriously doubt they are going to boycott the NHL when it does come back. Hell, by the time the league comes back those people won't even realize they had a lockout.

Old
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I really wonder how the last lockout was handled on this site without twitter and all.

Great question...I definitely don't remember following those talks as close. I can't even remember how I found out they were cancelling the season.

Old
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
lol season isn't getting canceled over pensions

Old
Stuck in Socal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
People in Los Angeles have already forgotten the Kings and their Stanley Cup. It would have helped to have their banner already raised and a season going on. I saw so many people get introduced to hockey during the playoff run and it would have been great to continue the momentum into this season.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Go elsewhere and work, seriously. I'm ready for replacement players and/or those willing to cross the lines.
haha, replacement players. Arenas would have 1000 people and that is only if they slash ticket prices 90%.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
players voting on DOI has nothing to do with a CBA agreement though..

Old
01-03-2013, 03:37 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Socal View Post
People in Los Angeles have already forgotten the Kings and their Stanley Cup. It would have helped to have their banner already raised and a season going on. I saw so many people get introduced to hockey during the playoff run and it would have been great to continue the momentum into this season.
Same was said about the Rangers winning in 94.

Old
I Am Classless

Quote:
Literally no one else is, including Bettman and the saintly owners

Old
SelleckStache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I know this is rhetorical but I was getting all of my info from SpectorsHockey and here.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:38 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
While true, 99.8% of people who think it aren't able, under any circumstances, to speak it publicly and still keep their job.

There is a severe lack of respect there. These players are paid handsomly for their skills, suggesting it is NOT the owners who lack respect for what the players bring to the table.

On the flip side, the owners... being filthy rich and having managed the league to record revenues are also at the top of their field. Meanwhile when asking their employees to help shoulder the load to build a profitable league, they get.... well, you've seen the tweets.

Closed Thread