HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs?

Old
01-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

vCash: 500
The only Canadian teams I care about are the Montreal Canadiens and Team Canada. I only cheered for Vancouver in the 2011 SCF because they were playing one of my team's biggest rivals.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Because I was born and raised to dislike anything Ottawa, Montreal and apparently Vancouver.

Its not like there is any more Canadian talent on a Canadian team as opposed to a team based in America.

01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Punkeater

I'm a Habs fan and I do cheer for the other Canadians club when they Habs are out of the playoffs... I might be a rare one but since there was no Stanley Cups in Canada since 1993, I do feel a little bit worried about the fact it's been so long since the last Stanley Cup in Canada.

Hopefully it will change soon but right now I don't think there's a team strong enough to win the Stanley Cup in Canada except Vancouver but there's stronger teams ahead too but you never know in playoffs

I do like the fact that it's been a different cup winner for the last 9 years tho. It brings variety and it gives everybody a little piece of the cake. I feel like with parity nowadays, the Stanley Cup is getting tougher to get every year. If there's a season this year, my "obvious" choice would be the Rangers... not a lot of weakness in their roster...

Last edited by Punkeater: 01-03-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Reign Nateo

Very strange, but I lived in BC when Calgary and Edmonton had their most recent runs and the majority of the people were for them winning in BC... Then I spent time in Alberta when the Canucks made their run and EVERYONE hated them...

The average fan in BC seemed to want the Flames and Oilers to win it all, the average Alberta fan would rather see a 1000 kittens die than the Canucks win the cup...

I really never understood it...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:54 PM
um

i dont care where the team is placed, i cheer for teams based on the players/ organization

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
colchar
The Keon Curse Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer View Post
Just dont get why Canadian fans don't like supporting the other teams in the country, while it seems they would rather cheer against them.

We saw this with Vancouver a few years ago. I suspect it would be the same with the Leafs if/when they make it, which is sad since Americans seem to not have any issues with the Leafs.

So whats the deal? Is the rivalry between Canadian teams too intense from all the divisional matches?

Rivalry and dislike of certain teams. I cannot stand Montreal, Ottawa, or Vancouver (or their fans) so cannot and will not support them. I don't have any issues with any other teams in the league though so will happily support Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Reign Nateo

Personally I cheer for whatever team/city deserves/would appreciate the Cup the most. Most of the Canadian teams fall into this catergory.

For instance, if the Cup went to Calgary or Vancouver this year, the party would still be going. LA? Was forgotten about 10 minutes later...

That's my point of view anyways...

Old
01-03-2013, 01:02 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
It's called rivalries, OP.

You can't hype up intra-Canada rivalries during the season, and then expect that animosity to disappear during the playoffs.

As a Sens fan, I could never cheer for the Leafs. I try not to cheer for Montreal. I love the Oilers, and while I like the Flames and the Canucks, I may cheer on an American team if there's a number of personal favourites on that team.

01-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Karter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Very strange, but I lived in BC when Calgary and Edmonton had their most recent runs and the majority of the people were for them winning in BC... Then I spent time in Alberta when the Canucks made their run and EVERYONE hated them...

The average fan in BC seemed to want the Flames and Oilers to win it all, the average Alberta fan would rather see a 1000 kittens die than the Canucks win the cup...

Albertans have an unhealthy dislike for BC in general.

I worked in Calgary for a couple of years and lots of people would bring up hating Vancouver even in non hockey talk. It almost came off as jealous because when I went there for the Olympics it was beautiful. And the people were extremely nice. Maybe it's cause us Quebecois are kind of snobby in comparison but the Vancouverans(?) were awesome. Especially in comparison to Calgary.

Just my experience anyways.

Karter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:44 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
Albertans have an unhealthy dislike for BC in general.

I worked in Calgary for a couple of years and lots of people would bring up hating Vancouver even in non hockey talk. It almost came off as jealous because when I went there for the Olympics it was beautiful. And the people were extremely nice. Maybe it's cause us Quebecois are kind of snobby in comparison but the Vancouverans(?) were awesome. Especially in comparison to Calgary.

Just my experience anyways.
I think that's pretty local to Calgary. Everyone in Edmonton loves BC. I have a ton of friends and family that moved to Van and I take trips out there all the time. Love it. Calgary as a city has an infiriority complex they are constantly striving to get into the same category as Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver and will put down those cities in order to make themselves feel closer.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Inkling
"Let's win it all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
The main reason I do it is a sense of identification with other hockey fans, regardless if they, as a fanbase, like the Canucks or not. Hell, nearly everyone hates the Canucks, so WHATEVER. We're "villains". Every story needs a villain.

I know what it means to a Canadian city to win a Stanley cup. I know how engrained that is, where even non-hockey fans get swept up into it, and the whole city goes nuts. Frankly, it's a beautiful thing. I lived in Calgary in 1989, I was here in Vancouver in 2010... so I know EXACTLY what that means. How powerful it is, and how it brings the whole city together. I love to see that for other fans... and I hope that I get to experience it one day in my lifetime as well.
This is pretty much exactly the way I feel as well. I don't care where the players are from (my favourite Senator has been a Swede for years); I don't care if the US-based team has more Canadians on it, I feel that's irrelevant. I identify with the fans and the cities and in most cases I'd like to see my fellow Canadians experience the Cup win. Part of it is the absence of a Cup win in Canada since 93, if we were winning the Cup almost every year like back in the 80's, I might feel differently. Also, in my case, I've lived in Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa and I've had relatives in Cgy, Edm and Van so I have a lot of first-hand experience with Canadian cities (except for Wpg) which helps with having an affinity for them, compared to if you only saw them as dots on a map.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:04 PM
TowMater14

Just like many have said, most of the biggest rivals are Canadian. In Western Canada I will NEVER cheer for Calgary or Vancouver. It's not like it's the Olympics or anything.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:05 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 333
Quote:
Part of it was that when the Flames and Oilers made their runs they were overachieving underdogs, which makes it easy to get behind them.

Vancouver was a heavy favorite, and by the time the playoffs rolled around Canucks fans had already been telling us how they were going to win the cup, making unfavourable comparisons between all time greats like Gretzky and Fuhr with their leaders like the Sedins and Luongo.

people were already sick of the smack talking by fans of a team who have never won anything. I even found myself defending the Flames of all things, in the bar (I live in Calgary,) the fact that Canuck fans drove me to that low point is an unforgivable crime.

UnrefinedCrude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Frankie Spankie

I root for the team that I like more. Where each team is located in North America has literally no weight in my decision at all.

Frankie Spankie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
don't you already do this?
Hahahah Zingggggggg

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:12 PM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Quote:

It's simple really, Edmonton and Calgary were teams of classy players that people could look up to. Vancouver was filled with diving pukes and dirty hitters, and crybaby biters who called out refs for having imaginary vendettas against them. Seems pretty obvious, no?

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:31 PM
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeyMonster View Post
It's simple really, Edmonton and Calgary were teams of classy players that people could look up to. Vancouver was filled with diving pukes and dirty hitters, and crybaby biters who called out refs for having imaginary vendettas against them. Seems pretty obvious, no?
The fact that players as classy as the Sedins are characterized as "diving pukes" and the team as a whole as "dirty hitters" (as if the team they were up against in the SCF was a clean bunch) is enough proof that when it down to sports, people have selective memories and will choose to love or hate players and teams depending on their own biases and what's shown on the media.

And had the Canucks actually won Game 7, a lot of people here would have a completely different opinion of them. Winners are respected because they did whatever it took to win and losers are outcasts because no matter what they did they couldn't overcome their own wickedness.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Karter

Quote:
Oh the irony. Why don't you cry about it some more?

Old
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
I think that's pretty local to Calgary. Everyone in Edmonton loves BC.
You haven't met Ogopogo.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Quote:
Part of it was that when the Flames and Oilers made their runs they were overachieving underdogs, which makes it easy to get behind them.

Vancouver was a heavy favorite, and by the time the playoffs rolled around Canucks fans had already been telling us how they were going to win the cup, making unfavourable comparisons between all time greats like Gretzky and Fuhr with their leaders like the Sedins and Luongo.

people were already sick of the smack talking by fans of a team who have never won anything. I even found myself defending the Flames of all things, in the bar (I live in Calgary,) the fact that Canuck fans drove me to that low point is an unforgivable crime.
These guys must be from Alberta...

And I buy the jealousy angle a lot more than the "Canucks were a bunch of jerks" angle personally...

Old
01-03-2013, 03:40 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Personally I cheer for whatever team/city deserves/would appreciate the Cup the most. Most of the Canadian teams fall into this catergory.

For instance, if the Cup went to Calgary or Vancouver this year, the party would still be going. LA? Was forgotten about 10 minutes later...

That's my point of view anyways...
Aside from the blatant and meaningless hyperbole that is the second paragraph, cities don't "deserve" championship trophies. The teams that win deserve it, and the fans who spend their money supporting their team deserve to celebrate when their team wins it.

With that said, I don't think Canadians should be expected to cheer for Canadian teams in the SCF or playoffs. What? Are we expecting Canadians to always display some sort of inferiority complex where they have to band together to cast off the horrible oppression that comes with living north of the United States ()? Canadian sports fans are no different from American sports fans. They cheer for their team. Maybe they have secondary teams for whom they also cheer. After that it's either picking sides based on which team you hate less, or just watching the game to watch the game.

01-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Karter

Quote:
These guys must be from Alberta...
I'd definitely say so.

Even the Chicago and Boston fans give them credit where credit is due. I'd be bitter too if I had a team like Calgary does.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Aside from the blatant and meaningless hyperbole that is the second paragraph, cities don't "deserve" championship trophies. The teams that win deserve it, and the fans who spend their money supporting their team deserve to celebrate when their team wins it.
You did read where I said "that's my point of view anyway" right? Meaning that the entire impetus of my post was that I cheer for teams and cities I deem deserving of a Cup. So in that context, I can decide how and whom I want to cheer for no? You don't get to tell me I'm wrong. It's my opinion and my own set of standards that dictates who I cheer for, nothing else. My standards for a team deserving a Cup are completley my own. And that was clear in my post.

And I'm not sure the second part is even that much of a stretch really, never mind hyperbole...

Old
01-03-2013, 03:45 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
The fact that players as classy as the Sedins are characterized as "diving pukes" and the team as a whole as "dirty hitters" (as if the team they were up against in the SCF was a clean bunch) is enough proof that when it down to sports, people have selective memories and will choose to love or hate players and teams depending on their own biases and what's shown on the media.
A couple of years ago Sports Illustrated did a story on the most dirty teams off all time and Michael Farber selected the 2002 Toronto Maple Leafs. When I first heard about that I knew the only reason he picked them is because Farber is from Montreal, so he is pro Canadiens and anti Maple Leafs. His reason was the hit Darcy Tucker put on Michael Peca even though it was clean and the history Tie Domi had. Now I didn't agree with anything he said because I took it as someone who wanted another reason to bash the Maple Leafs. The fact he is from Montreal makes his bias towards them even worse.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Some people do, some people don't.

Its not such a nationalistic thing when the american franchises also have a massive canadian flavour on their roster...in some cases, the american franchises have a much greater concentration of canadian players than the canadian franchises themselves! If that weren't the case, you would probably see a greater affinity for rallying around a certain canadian team, but again, not always

I think there was a greater gathering around the 04 flames and 06 oilers. But you could attribute that to both teams being small market underdogs at the time, who were on cinderella runs. They were great stories above all else. Alot of people gravitate towards the underdog story....

Simply being a team from canada isn't a compelling enough story to galvanize an entire nation. There has to be more to it or its just not that big of a deal.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote