HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Matt Dumba - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

Old
01-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Any more opinions on him?

Seems like both his hype and play have completely fallen off the map since the Wild took him this summer.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:14 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Seems like both his hype and play have completely fallen off the map since the Wild took him this summer.
I don't know that his play has fallen off the map, and obviously with the WJCs on at the moment most of the hype/discussion is about guys who made their respective national teams. By all reports Dumba has improved a bit defensively, his numbers aren't outstanding but Red Deer are a fairly low scoring, defensive team this year. Personally I feel the same about him as I did before, great tools but questionable hockey IQ. Should be a top 4 dman at the NHL level IMO, but I think his hockey IQ prevents him from being a real star/#1 dman. Could be a pick that people end up questioning a bit, if the Wild could go back they might think a little harder about taking Dumba over guys like Trouba, Girgorenko and Forsberg.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:37 PM
sbtatter

Quote:

Is he going to end up a "Trouba-lite"?

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Wildfan10*

Trouba is looking great in the WJC's. Really wish we would have picked him... hopefully Dumba will make me eat my words though.

Wildfan10* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

I really like Dumba and I don't think think he gets enough love around as he should, he is in my honest opinion a lot like Phaneuf with better skating. Unfortunately for him, his size not suitable for his style of play nor does he have good hockey IQ to boost.

I was more than sure that Minnesota would have taken the local kid in Trouba at the draft. Trouba looks like a real deal.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
I really like Dumba and I don't think think he gets enough love around as he should, he is in my honest opinion a lot like Phaneuf with better skating. Unfortunately for him, his size not suitable for his style of play nor does he have good hockey IQ to boost.

I was more than sure that Minnesota would have taken the local kid in Trouba at the draft. Trouba looks like a real deal.
His size isn't the problem as he looks like a tank on the ice. 5-11 may not be tall but he's got alot of mass packed into that frame, I would be scared get hit by him, considering this and his speed.

But hockey IQ, I agree, he needs to work on it. He plays a high energy game, but sometimes, he just needs to slow things down and read the play.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:32 PM
InjuredChoker

When the Wild draft you in top ten, it's guaranteed you'll miss at least one WJC when you could/should have been there.

Granlund, after draft year out with concussion.
This year Brodin and Dumba out because of broken clavicle (?) and poor play, respectively.

Team Canada could have used one of Dumba's open ice hits today to change the momentum.. hindsights are awesome.

The kid is still young though (born july 1994) and will get in next year, I think.

InjuredChoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:43 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:

I was a huge fan of his last year but every time I've seen him this year, he has been downright bad. Missing the WJCs seemed like a fitting capper to a completely forgettable first half.

Hope he turns it around soon because I really like his game. Might just be one of those years though where you tough it out and try to erase the memory of it next year.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I see that Brent Sutter took over as coach in the middle of November. Is it a pretty different style he plays?

A coaching change a month into the season and a month before tryouts could certainly turn a young defenseman's head around some.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:09 AM
sbtatter

Quote:
I see that Brent Sutter took over as coach in the middle of November. Is it a pretty different style he plays?

A coaching change a month into the season and a month before tryouts could certainly turn a young defenseman's head around some.
Under Jesse Wallin sometimes Dumba got to play all 2 minutes of the PP, now under Sutter he get's to play a more conventional 1 shift on the PP, so that likely contributes to his underwhelming production this season. The other thing contributing to his regression is that his "big open ice hits" were actually often penalties in the new WHL (I don't agree with the new standard, it hurts Miller on the WK's a lot as well), he got away with a lot until this season, I think that early suspension took away a lot of his desire to get out and hit someone, and once you take the hitting away from a guy like Dumba, you take away a big piece of his game. I think he'll play his 19 year old season back in the WHL, and be a lot more composed, stronger player who puts up more points again and plays a lot better.

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Under Jesse Wallin sometimes Dumba got to play all 2 minutes of the PP, now under Sutter he get's to play a more conventional 1 shift on the PP, so that likely contributes to his underwhelming production this season. The other thing contributing to his regression is that his "big open ice hits" were actually often penalties in the new WHL (I don't agree with the new standard, it hurts Miller on the WK's a lot as well), he got away with a lot until this season, I think that early suspension took away a lot of his desire to get out and hit someone, and once you take the hitting away from a guy like Dumba, you take away a big piece of his game. I think he'll play his 19 year old season back in the WHL, and be a lot more composed, stronger player who puts up more points again and plays a lot better.
Very interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sounds like Dumba will be getting an NHL camp invite.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:13 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Doubt he will make the team though, probably just for experience.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Doubt he will make the team though, probably just for experience.
Obviously.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Sounds like Dumba will be getting an NHL camp invite.
Another camp he has no business being invited too this season based on his play to date.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:17 PM
InjuredChoker

Could be good experience and help his confidence.. could he get traded from Red Deer this season, any rumors/talk about that?

InjuredChoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:17 AM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Played amazingly well last time I saw him. Looks out to prove Hockey Canada wrong.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:55 AM
DouglasQuaid
Blabbed about Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
I agree with this. I saw him a few times last year and, comparatively speaking after watching him a few games over Christmas, a lot of the aggressiveness was gone. It could have just been a case of a few off games, could be Sutter trying to calm his game down a bit, but he wasn't looking to hit like he used to.

DouglasQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:22 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 1582
So did we get Keith Ballard. Reckless, physical good O up side but... something just aint right.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
So did we get Keith Ballard. Reckless, physical good O up side but... something just aint right.
We'll trade you Ballard for him.

Not to mention that Keith Ballard is a fine player, who just hasn't fit the Canucks team. He was a top pairing defensman on every other team he's played for.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Matthew Dumbass

This guy's hockey sense isn't that good.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:43 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
We'll trade you Ballard for him.

Not to mention that Keith Ballard is a fine player, who just hasn't fit the Canucks team. He was a top pairing defensman on every other team he's played for.
I agree that we'll trade Ballard for him, but Ballard isn't just someone who doesn't fit the Canucks' mold.

There's something more to it, something that can be covered by a good pairing defenseman, as he was able to show when he played better in stretches with Tanev. I think that's what Dumba will ultimately need... a stalwart defensive presence beside him to clean up his mistakes and let him play his game. He'll need to make that game pretty good to make him worth it, though.

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
I agree that we'll trade Ballard for him, but Ballard isn't just someone who doesn't fit the Canucks' mold.

There's something more to it, something that can be covered by a good pairing defenseman, as he was able to show when he played better in stretches with Tanev. I think that's what Dumba will ultimately need... a stalwart defensive presence beside him to clean up his mistakes and let him play his game. He'll need to make that game pretty good to make him worth it, though.
Interesting. We have recently acquired somebody that seems to fit that description...

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Interesting. We have recently acquired somebody that seems to fit that description...
Paul Mara?

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:02 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Indeed, but will Dumba be good enough to warrant playing on his pairing?

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote