HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Warrior review

Old
09-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Warrior review

SPOILER WARNING - There are a few spoilers here. If you want to just read a quick review, scroll to the bottom without reading the text in between the lines:

----------

So, I got a chance to see the movie tonight.

First off, the cinematography is amazing. This is a gorgeous movie. It's such a gritty filming job and it doesn't come off as cheesy at all. I loved every scene the way they were filmed.

The acting is pretty fantastic. This is not your typical MMA movie. These guys don't come off as hokey tools. They come as real people with real problems and fighting for real reasons. Nolte was damn near tear-jerking as the father trying to put his life back together. Edgerton and Hardy were both fantastic, but Hardy really stole the show.

Hardy's portrayal of Tommy, the war hero, was incredible. He was straight up ice cold at times and really nailed the role. Dude has a LOT of demons, with losing his best friend and all. It was a very, very realistic portrayal in terms of his character arc. I mean, it was a bit unrealistic to have him go in and just curb stomp top flight MMA vets, but he played "the prodigy" well.

Edgerton was also great as Brendan. I loved his angle of going in to save his family's house and viability. It was a great story and something we actually hear about in the sport: guys fighting paycheck to paycheck. I loved his build-up as going from a washed out UFC scrub to beating Koba (the Fedor character). A true underdog story to the fullest.

They had a great use of real MMA fighters (Nate Marquardt and Rumble Johnson) and Kurt Angle was bad ass as Koba. I liked that they didn't give any of those guys any real lines because why bother? They are there to fight. Let the actors act.

Also, Yves Edwards has a cameo in the movie, which was fun.

It is really a must see for any MMA fan. The fight scenes were PHENOMENAL. Sure, a bit over the top in terms of action, but they really portrayed the sport well here. Everything was realistic and everything looked like it hurt. I had no idea how they would get the filming right, but they got all of the raw brutality into it and it seemed as real as watching a UFC PPV.

All in all, the movie was solid. There were a few hokey areas in the movie (especially the end -- when I am playing Undisputed, I am FOR SURE going to be using the lines they used to troll the **** out of people), but thankfully none of them overshadowed all of the good. This is one of the better sports movies in general I have seen in a long time and is easily the best MMA movie to ever come out.

--------------

READ HERE FOR NO SPOILERS:

Movie kicked ass. Filming was AMAZING. Nolte, Edgerton and especially Hardy just blew me away in terms of acting. Best MMA movie of all time and one of the better sports movies I have seen. An absolute must see for any MMA fan. Hell, for any sports fan.

8.5/10

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Jasper

vCash: 707
Thanks for the review, I just saw the preview for this last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
SPOILER WARNING - There are a few spoilers here. If you want to just read a quick review, scroll to the bottom without reading the text in between the lines:

----------

So, I got a chance to see the movie tonight.

First off, the cinematography is amazing. This is a gorgeous movie. It's such a gritty filming job and it doesn't come off as cheesy at all. I loved every scene the way they were filmed.

The acting is pretty fantastic. This is not your typical MMA movie. These guys don't come off as hokey tools. They come as real people with real problems and fighting for real reasons. Nolte was damn near tear-jerking as the father trying to put his life back together. Edgerton and Hardy were both fantastic, but Hardy really stole the show.

Hardy's portrayal of Tommy, the war hero, was incredible. He was straight up ice cold at times and really nailed the role. Dude has a LOT of demons, with losing his best friend and all. It was a very, very realistic portrayal in terms of his character arc. I mean, it was a bit unrealistic to have him go in and just curb stomp top flight MMA vets, but he played "the prodigy" well.

Edgerton was also great as Brendan. I loved his angle of going in to save his family's house and viability. It was a great story and something we actually hear about in the sport: guys fighting paycheck to paycheck. I loved his build-up as going from a washed out UFC scrub to beating Koba (the Fedor character). A true underdog story to the fullest.

They had a great use of real MMA fighters (Nate Marquardt and Rumble Johnson) and Kurt Angle was bad ass as Koba. I liked that they didn't give any of those guys any real lines because why bother? They are there to fight. Let the actors act.

Also, Yves Edwards has a cameo in the movie, which was fun.

It is really a must see for any MMA fan. The fight scenes were PHENOMENAL. Sure, a bit over the top in terms of action, but they really portrayed the sport well here. Everything was realistic and everything looked like it hurt. I had no idea how they would get the filming right, but they got all of the raw brutality into it and it seemed as real as watching a UFC PPV.

All in all, the movie was solid. There were a few hokey areas in the movie (especially the end -- when I am playing Undisputed, I am FOR SURE going to be using the lines they used to troll the **** out of people), but thankfully none of them overshadowed all of the good. This is one of the better sports movies in general I have seen in a long time and is easily the best MMA movie to ever come out.

--------------

READ HERE FOR NO SPOILERS:

Movie kicked ass. Filming was AMAZING. Nolte, Edgerton and especially Hardy just blew me away in terms of acting. Best MMA movie of all time and one of the better sports movies I have seen. An absolute must see for any MMA fan. Hell, for any sports fan.

8.5/10

Last edited by Jasper: 09-05-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Sound like it's a theatre movie for sure.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:45 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Thanks for the review, sounds like (from early reviews) this is going to be a fantastic movie.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiasIndustries View Post
Thanks for the review, sounds like (from early reviews) this is going to be a fantastic movie.
It's REALLY, really good. Well worth $10 or whatever it costs to see it. I'll be buying it, for sure, when it comes out on Blu Ray. The fight scenes were just ****ing awesome. That alone made it worth it. There was a lot of fighting in the movie (more than I thought there would be), too. A lot of fun.

Old
09-13-2011, 12:25 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
It's REALLY, really good. Well worth $10 or whatever it costs to see it. I'll be buying it, for sure, when it comes out on Blu Ray. The fight scenes were just ****ing awesome. That alone made it worth it. There was a lot of fighting in the movie (more than I thought there would be), too. A lot of fun.
I've managed to watch it twice already and it holds up just as well on the second viewing. Definitely one of my favourite, if not my favourite, movie I have seen all year. There were a few unrealistic things about the fighting, but overall I thought they did a really good job of portraying the fights realistically. What I really liked about the movie is that it helps to humanize the fight game, too many people seem to assume that MMA is just a bunch of meatheads running around fighting each other...but really, many of the guys that fight have really interesting stories that deserve to be told. Also loved the inclusion of The Nationals "About Today", thought it just blended into the scene so well and really helped to sell the mood. Brilliant movie IMO.

I definitely agree with you about buying it though, in this day and age where media is so easily accessible it takes something that really does mesh with you for it to be a purchase. This movie is definitely a must buy for me.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Fanpuck33

I was really excited for this movie, but didn't really like it. Nothing unexpected happened the whole time. It was entirely too predictable and was not the least bit believable. I understand "suspension of disbelief" in movies, but this movie tried to be realistic. I laughed out loud when the principal said he had no idea that Brandon used to be in the UFC. You can't get a job teaching without undergoing a background check, and it's obvious that not even Google was utilized when checking out his past. Then Tommy gets into a big time tournament having never fought professionally? Give me a break. It also made no sense to hold the event in the US, where such a tournament would not get approved.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanpuck33 View Post
I was really excited for this movie, but didn't really like it. Nothing unexpected happened the whole time. It was entirely too predictable and was not the least bit believable. I understand "suspension of disbelief" in movies, but this movie tried to be realistic. I laughed out loud when the principal said he had no idea that Brandon used to be in the UFC. You can't get a job teaching without undergoing a background check, and it's obvious that not even Google was utilized when checking out his past. Then Tommy gets into a big time tournament having never fought professionally? Give me a break. It also made no sense to hold the event in the US, where such a tournament would not get approved.
It's a movie.

First off, they have had one night tournaments in the past in the US. Why would one not be approved? I mean, SHINE just held a one night Grand Prix in the US last year. The format wasn't banned.

The background check is a bit much, but how many times do you search for guys who fight only to not find a wiki page or anything? ****, maybe he was getting paid under the table at the time and while the name came up there was nothing linking him to the actual fighter of the same name?

Thirdly, I think the ending was not exactly predictable. I had no idea who was going to win the fight. You knew the whole time that the two were going to meet because they showed that in the trailer. But did you REALLY know who was going to win for sure? I highly doubt it. For a bit, I was thinking Tommy was going to win (and pay off his brother's debt). Whole soldier angle.

Tommy was the Kimbo of the movie. Dude beat the **** out of a top contender on camera and became the next big underground sensation. Look at how much money such a sensation like Kimbo made $kala before he blew it all?

Old
10-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
It's a movie.

First off, they have had one night tournaments in the past in the US. Why would one not be approved? I mean, SHINE just held a one night Grand Prix in the US last year. The format wasn't banned.
SHINE first tried to hold the event in Virginia and couldn't get licensed. They ended up on an Indian Reservation in Oklahoma because the state of Oklahoma wouldn't license them either. Reservations are not subject to state athletic commission, so they can hold these kinds of events that are illegal elsewhere. Atlantic City, where the event in the move was held, is under SAC rules, so they could not have gotten license there under that format.

Quote:
The background check is a bit much
No, a background check is not a bit much. Do honestly believe they would just put someone in a room with 30 kids without checking them out? I used to be a teacher. I know for a fact that you have to pass a background check for employment. Heck, you even have to submit fingerprints to volunteer at schools these days.

Quote:
how many times do you search for guys who fight only to not find a wiki page or anything? ****, maybe he was getting paid under the table at the time and while the name came up there was nothing linking him to the actual fighter of the same name?
They stated he was in the UFC. He wasn't just fighting in parking lots and getting paid under the table. I've never had trouble finding information on a fighter who made it to the UFC. In addition to wikipedia, it's easy to find info on sherdog and mixedmartialarts.com. I've easily tracked down nobody fighters simply by searching their name in Google.

Quote:
Thirdly, I think the ending was not exactly predictable. I had no idea who was going to win the fight. You knew the whole time that the two were going to meet because they showed that in the trailer. But did you REALLY know who was going to win for sure? I highly doubt it. For a bit, I was thinking Tommy was going to win (and pay off his brother's debt). Whole soldier angle.
I thought it was very obvious that Brandon, who had to work harder for it, would get the win in the fight and that Tommy's "win" would be beating his demons and finally forgiving his brother for not leaving with him and his mom.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanpuck33 View Post
SHINE first tried to hold the event in Virginia and couldn't get licensed. They ended up on an Indian Reservation in Oklahoma because the state of Oklahoma wouldn't license them either. Reservations are not subject to state athletic commission, so they can hold these kinds of events that are illegal elsewhere. Atlantic City, where the event in the move was held, is under SAC rules, so they could not have gotten license there under that format.
It's a MOVIE.

Quote:
No, a background check is not a bit much. Do honestly believe they would just put someone in a room with 30 kids without checking them out? I used to be a teacher. I know for a fact that you have to pass a background check for employment. Heck, you even have to submit fingerprints to volunteer at schools these days.
If he was fighting in the old days of the UFC without a wiki page and with getting paid under the table? I'm sure he could go unnoticed. The principal KNEW Brandon was a fighter, but said he didn't know he was in the UFC. Perhaps the check just said he was in mixed martial arts? Who the **** knows.

Again, it's a movie.

Quote:
They stated he was in the UFC. He wasn't just fighting in parking lots and getting paid under the table. I've never had trouble finding information on a fighter who made it to the UFC. In addition to wikipedia, it's easy to find info on sherdog and mixedmartialarts.com. I've easily tracked down nobody fighters simply by searching their name in Google.
And back in the old wild West UFC days, I'm sure there were some shady financial deals. I would pretty much guarantee it. The dude had such a common name, so as I said -- maybe it came up as something different? Who the **** knows.

Again, it's a movie.

I thought it was very obvious that Brandon, who had to work harder for it, would get the win in the fight and that Tommy's "win" would be beating his demons and finally forgiving his brother for not leaving with him and his mom.[/QUOTE]

You're the first one I know who thought it was "very obvious". I probably know about 40 or so people who have seen the movie so far. Some thought Brandon was going to win. Some thought Tommy was going to win. Neither side thought anything was obvious.

I've seen hundreds of movies. This ranks very, very low on the obvious scale.

Old
10-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Fanpuck33

I understand that it was a movie and that there is such a thing as suspension of disbelief. But like I said, when a movie is trying to have a realistic feel to it, you can't get away with as much. It would not have been difficult for the writers or director to fix all these things and make it a far more realistic movie, which is what they seemed to be trying to do. I easily could have overlooked Tommy's meteoric rise into the tournament had all those other things not already ruined the realistic feel of the movie.

Anyways, why argue this much about it? It was a movie. You liked it, I didn't. Big deal. You have your opinion and I have mine.

P.S. The principal did not know he was a fighter. It was only after he found out that he asked if he was in the UFC.

Old
12-10-2011, 02:56 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I've managed to watch it twice already and it holds up just as well on the second viewing. Definitely one of my favourite, if not my favourite, movie I have seen all year. There were a few unrealistic things about the fighting, but overall I thought they did a really good job of portraying the fights realistically. What I really liked about the movie is that it helps to humanize the fight game, too many people seem to assume that MMA is just a bunch of meatheads running around fighting each other...but really, many of the guys that fight have really interesting stories that deserve to be told. Also loved the inclusion of The Nationals "About Today", thought it just blended into the scene so well and really helped to sell the mood. Brilliant movie IMO.

I definitely agree with you about buying it though, in this day and age where media is so easily accessible it takes something that really does mesh with you for it to be a purchase. This movie is definitely a must buy for me.
Well said, and I totally agree. I don't really buy too many hard copies of movies now but this was a beautiful movie. Over-the-top at times? Absolutely, but not in a cheesey, ridiculous manner.

And to anyone who says nothing unexpected happened.... I'm sure no one expected Rocky to lose in the end...

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 02:45 AM
Spawn

I just saw it. It was pretty good. A little unrealistic at times, but the acting was top notch from the two leads and there was good drama leading up to the final fight.

Solid 7.5/10

Definitely a legit film. Probably the first for MMA.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:24 AM
nightfighter

Can't wait to pick this up on dvd.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:44 PM
invictus

Just saw this. Damn fine film. Sure, a few things were a stretch, but it isn't a documentary. I enjoyed it and plan to buy.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I liked it too ...
Good soundtrack too

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote