HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

More Luongo Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJets View Post
I am not a fan of either team so in saying that I think it is crazy Canucks fans think they are getting anything close to a package that involves a good young player like Gardiner for Loungo. The lower the cap goes the less return they will get. Maybe a mid round pick and a B prospect
If that's the return then Luongo won't be dealt, it's pretty simple. Teams that want to win don't trade top 5 goalies for garbage returns.

01-03-2013, 03:41 PM
bobbyflex

lockout is almost over. that means Luongo will be a Leaf soon.

I'll guess Bozak, Franson + 2nd

Old
01-03-2013, 03:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
lockout is almost over. that means Luongo will be a Leaf soon.

I'll guess Bozak, Franson + 2nd
That would be like the Canucks offering Lapierre, Ballard and a 2nd for Kessel. No thank you.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:49 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
That would be like the Canucks offering Lapierre, Ballard and a 2nd for Kessel. No thank you.
you're comparing Kessel to Luongo now? lulz

Old
01-03-2013, 03:51 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
you're comparing Kessel to Luongo now? lulz
Luongo is a top 5 goalie, and you don't trade top 5 goalies for bad 3C's, 7th defensemen and a 2nd round pick.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:53 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJets View Post
I am not a fan of either team so in saying that I think it is crazy Canucks fans think they are getting anything close to a package that involves a good young player like Gardiner for Loungo. The lower the cap goes the less return they will get. Maybe a mid round pick and a B prospect
A few months ago it was reported that at the 2012 Draft, Brian Burke had turned down a deal for Luongo which involved Vancouver getting Jake Gardiner, Matt Frattin and their 1st round pick. So my personal opinion is I can't see Gardiner being traded and Burke didn't want to include him for Rick Nash when that talk was out there.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
A few months ago it was reported that at the 2012 Draft, Brian Burke had turned down a deal for Luongo which involved Vancouver getting Jake Gardiner, Matt Frattin and their 1st round pick. So my personal opinion is I can't see Gardiner being traded and Burke didn't want to include him for Rick Nash when that talk was out there.
Was Toronto even on Rick Nash's list?

Old
01-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Was Toronto even on Rick Nash's list?
Before Nash produced his list, there was talk about a TO deal and that Burke said no because of Gardiner.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:00 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
And a goid idea. But if you buy out Komi, who fills the other spot? And who is your 7th.
well that depends on who else is bought out if for example a guy like volchinkov is bought out he could be a fit and could be had for less then 4.5 million i'd guess 3 mll. If you want someone with more offense is flaorida going to keep campbell at 7 mil? I think they do but if not i'd love some campbell on the Leafs.

as for the 7th D give holzer a shot or campoli

Old
01-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Raymond's a pretty underrated player around here eh?

I would've been on board with those saying something along the lines of Kadri + Bozak/Franson, but in light of where the CBA seems to be headed, etc., I'm inclined to agree with Tim Wallach. I think Gillis may be left wishing he had traded Luongo sooner. But we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Last edited by Marco Esquandolas: 01-03-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old
01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
marty111

Quote:
If that's the return then Luongo won't be dealt, it's pretty simple. Teams that want to win don't trade top 5 goalies for garbage returns.
It's not your decision to make. We're all speculating but it helps when you express your opinion to support it with something.

There have been numerous reasons why he will be dealt... all the way from here to Sweden.

There is nothing concrete to suggest he would be dealt for anything but a premium return. Even 99% of people posting here - Canuck's fans too - don't agree with your value.

To add something to the conversation you have to realize these realities otherwise you're adding nothing to the conversation.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:18 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
If Gillis wants more than about a 3rd round pick, if I'm TO, I wait on the buyout. Call their bluff.
As a nuck fan i doubt luongo gets bought out.

If it did happen why does an UFA Luongo sign with TO?

More likely he signs a short contract in FLA to mentor Markstrom.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post

Why would he sign a short term deal with Florida and not a longer term deal? Money talks and as my understanding Toronto would have the first offer. Makes no sense.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:27 PM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Why would he sign a short term deal with Florida and not a longer term deal? Money talks and as my understanding Toronto would have the first offer. Makes no sense.
He gets paid a large sum from the buy out.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
This is what people seem to forget when they say Luongo will be bought out. Frank Aquilini isn't going to sign a $30M buy-out cheque so Luongo can go play elsewhere.

Old
ACC1224
Burke was right.

IMO, players will only be bought out if there is no market for them.

Even the expected minor return for Luongo is better than buying him out.

Old
blankall

Quote:

Luongo is not getting bought out....The owners are not going to pay that much for nothing when the option to trade either of Luongo or Schneider exists.

That being said you won't get fair value for Luongo. His contract is outrageous and you cannot afford to take substantial salary back, even in the short term. You're going to get bent over regardless of how "top 5" Luongo is.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:32 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Luongo is not getting bought out....The owners are not going to pay that much for nothing when the option to trade either of Luongo or Schneider exists.

That being said you won't get fair value for Luongo. His contract is outrageous and you cannot afford to take substantial salary back, even in the short term. You're going to get bent over regardless of how "top 5" Luongo is.
Disagree completely. There are teams without legitimate number 1 goalies that would be interested in Luongo. I can see GM's getting desperate, especially in a shortened season, and giving the Canucks what they want in order to take a run at the playoffs. Toronto, Edmonton come to mind. I can also see Chicago and possibly Washington getting involved too.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
marty111

Quote:
Perhaps you should clarify what you mean by short term? I'm assuming a 2-3 year contract? What if he get's injured? What if he plays poorly? It would significantly affect his ability to make even more money or even have a job in the NHL next time he is due for a contract.

If Luongo hits a FA market at 33 he will shoot for a long term big dollar contract regardless of the buyout. Not a two year deal so he can move to Florida. Really?

From all I heard he's going to play till he's 39 at an elite level. Now he's going to take a short term contract and turn down/risk millions more just to play for Florida?

I've heard it all now.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:37 PM
marty111

Quote:

But come on, Gillis has too much pride. If he doesn't get a premium for his top 5 goalie he'll squander his asset if he had to and pay tens of millions just to do it. Haven't you heard?

It's the fundamental reason why any team with interest in him will HAVE TO pay a big price or face losing their jobs.

Gillis holds all the power in his asset Luongo

Old
01-03-2013, 04:43 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Disagree completely. There are teams without legitimate number 1 goalies that would be interested in Luongo. I can see GM's getting desperate, especially in a shortened season, and giving the Canucks what they want in order to take a run at the playoffs. Toronto, Edmonton come to mind. I can also see Chicago and possibly Washington getting involved too.
history suggests vancouver and the hawks won't be doing business anytime soon

Old
01-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:

How are you going to get bent ?

His annual salary vs his production is favorable and after this CBA, salaries will rise as his contract goes on. The only issue is when he retires, what type of hit the team will take, but now apparently the Canucks can trade him and keep some of his cap space or include cash.

There's a lot of people that view his contract as OMG - Worst contract ever, but it's not. Right now, his cap hit is lower than his production/value. That's awesome. It's years down the road that could/would be the problem. And even then, it's all dependent on unpredictable variables. His ability to play at a later age. His willingness to play a back up role, if he does stay longer in the contract, the state of other salaries in the NHL and the CAP space.

In short, his contract is a big risk, which will be much better defined once the CBA talks wrap up, but it's not a 'bad contract'. There's a risk there, but not enough to deem is this horrific deal like everyone on here does.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:45 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
history suggests vancouver and the hawks won't be doing business anytime soon
What history? The history that includes a rumor of Bowman offering Dave Bolland for Luongo?

Old
01-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

They will trade Schneider before buying out Luongo as well. The idea is just ridiculous.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Perhaps you should clarify what you mean by short term? I'm assuming a 2-3 year contract? What if he get's injured? What if he plays poorly? It would significantly affect his ability to make even money
3 years.

He can afford to take the risk when the Canucks pay him 30+ million for the buy out.

Why would Luongo pick money over location + playoff team when he's already getting paid a ridiculous amount?

Closed Thread