HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

More Luongo Talk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
  #901
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJets View Post
I am not a fan of either team so in saying that I think it is crazy Canucks fans think they are getting anything close to a package that involves a good young player like Gardiner for Loungo. The lower the cap goes the less return they will get. Maybe a mid round pick and a B prospect
If that's the return then Luongo won't be dealt, it's pretty simple. Teams that want to win don't trade top 5 goalies for garbage returns.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
01-03-2013, 03:41 PM
  #902
bobbyflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
lockout is almost over. that means Luongo will be a Leaf soon.

I'll guess Bozak, Franson + 2nd

bobbyflex is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 03:47 PM
  #903
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
lockout is almost over. that means Luongo will be a Leaf soon.

I'll guess Bozak, Franson + 2nd
That would be like the Canucks offering Lapierre, Ballard and a 2nd for Kessel. No thank you.

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
01-03-2013, 03:49 PM
  #904
bobbyflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
That would be like the Canucks offering Lapierre, Ballard and a 2nd for Kessel. No thank you.
you're comparing Kessel to Luongo now? lulz

bobbyflex is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 03:51 PM
  #905
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
you're comparing Kessel to Luongo now? lulz
Luongo is a top 5 goalie, and you don't trade top 5 goalies for bad 3C's, 7th defensemen and a 2nd round pick.

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
01-03-2013, 03:53 PM
  #906
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJets View Post
I am not a fan of either team so in saying that I think it is crazy Canucks fans think they are getting anything close to a package that involves a good young player like Gardiner for Loungo. The lower the cap goes the less return they will get. Maybe a mid round pick and a B prospect
A few months ago it was reported that at the 2012 Draft, Brian Burke had turned down a deal for Luongo which involved Vancouver getting Jake Gardiner, Matt Frattin and their 1st round pick. So my personal opinion is I can't see Gardiner being traded and Burke didn't want to include him for Rick Nash when that talk was out there.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 03:54 PM
  #907
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
A few months ago it was reported that at the 2012 Draft, Brian Burke had turned down a deal for Luongo which involved Vancouver getting Jake Gardiner, Matt Frattin and their 1st round pick. So my personal opinion is I can't see Gardiner being traded and Burke didn't want to include him for Rick Nash when that talk was out there.
Was Toronto even on Rick Nash's list?

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
01-03-2013, 03:55 PM
  #908
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Was Toronto even on Rick Nash's list?
Before Nash produced his list, there was talk about a TO deal and that Burke said no because of Gardiner.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:00 PM
  #909
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
And a goid idea. But if you buy out Komi, who fills the other spot? And who is your 7th.
well that depends on who else is bought out if for example a guy like volchinkov is bought out he could be a fit and could be had for less then 4.5 million i'd guess 3 mll. If you want someone with more offense is flaorida going to keep campbell at 7 mil? I think they do but if not i'd love some campbell on the Leafs.

as for the 7th D give holzer a shot or campoli

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:00 PM
  #910
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser
 
Marco Esquandolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,592
vCash: 1170
Raymond's a pretty underrated player around here eh?

I would've been on board with those saying something along the lines of Kadri + Bozak/Franson, but in light of where the CBA seems to be headed, etc., I'm inclined to agree with Tim Wallach. I think Gillis may be left wishing he had traded Luongo sooner. But we'll have to wait and see what happens.


Last edited by Marco Esquandolas: 01-03-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Marco Esquandolas is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
  #911
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If that's the return then Luongo won't be dealt, it's pretty simple. Teams that want to win don't trade top 5 goalies for garbage returns.
It's not your decision to make. We're all speculating but it helps when you express your opinion to support it with something.

There have been numerous reasons why he will be dealt... all the way from here to Sweden.

There is nothing concrete to suggest he would be dealt for anything but a premium return. Even 99% of people posting here - Canuck's fans too - don't agree with your value.

To add something to the conversation you have to realize these realities otherwise you're adding nothing to the conversation.

marty111 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:18 PM
  #912
kthsn
Registered User
 
kthsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,719
vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
If Gillis wants more than about a 3rd round pick, if I'm TO, I wait on the buyout. Call their bluff.
As a nuck fan i doubt luongo gets bought out.

If it did happen why does an UFA Luongo sign with TO?

More likely he signs a short contract in FLA to mentor Markstrom.

kthsn is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
  #913
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
As a nuck fan i doubt luongo gets bought out.

If it did happen why does an UFA Luongo sign with TO?

More likely he signs a short contract in FLA to mentor Markstrom.
Why would he sign a short term deal with Florida and not a longer term deal? Money talks and as my understanding Toronto would have the first offer. Makes no sense.

marty111 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:27 PM
  #914
kthsn
Registered User
 
kthsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,719
vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Why would he sign a short term deal with Florida and not a longer term deal? Money talks and as my understanding Toronto would have the first offer. Makes no sense.
He gets paid a large sum from the buy out.

kthsn is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
  #915
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
He gets paid a large sum from the buy out.
This is what people seem to forget when they say Luongo will be bought out. Frank Aquilini isn't going to sign a $30M buy-out cheque so Luongo can go play elsewhere.

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
  #916
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 27,968
vCash: 500
IMO, players will only be bought out if there is no market for them.

Even the expected minor return for Luongo is better than buying him out.

ACC1224 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
  #917
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
As a nuck fan i doubt luongo gets bought out.

If it did happen why does an UFA Luongo sign with TO?

More likely he signs a short contract in FLA to mentor Markstrom.
Luongo is not getting bought out....The owners are not going to pay that much for nothing when the option to trade either of Luongo or Schneider exists.

That being said you won't get fair value for Luongo. His contract is outrageous and you cannot afford to take substantial salary back, even in the short term. You're going to get bent over regardless of how "top 5" Luongo is.

blankall is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:32 PM
  #918
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Luongo is not getting bought out....The owners are not going to pay that much for nothing when the option to trade either of Luongo or Schneider exists.

That being said you won't get fair value for Luongo. His contract is outrageous and you cannot afford to take substantial salary back, even in the short term. You're going to get bent over regardless of how "top 5" Luongo is.
Disagree completely. There are teams without legitimate number 1 goalies that would be interested in Luongo. I can see GM's getting desperate, especially in a shortened season, and giving the Canucks what they want in order to take a run at the playoffs. Toronto, Edmonton come to mind. I can also see Chicago and possibly Washington getting involved too.

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
  #919
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
He gets paid a large sum from the buy out.
Perhaps you should clarify what you mean by short term? I'm assuming a 2-3 year contract? What if he get's injured? What if he plays poorly? It would significantly affect his ability to make even more money or even have a job in the NHL next time he is due for a contract.

If Luongo hits a FA market at 33 he will shoot for a long term big dollar contract regardless of the buyout. Not a two year deal so he can move to Florida. Really?

From all I heard he's going to play till he's 39 at an elite level. Now he's going to take a short term contract and turn down/risk millions more just to play for Florida?

I've heard it all now.

marty111 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:37 PM
  #920
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Luongo is not getting bought out....The owners are not going to pay that much for nothing when the option to trade either of Luongo or Schneider exists.

That being said you won't get fair value for Luongo. His contract is outrageous and you cannot afford to take substantial salary back, even in the short term. You're going to get bent over regardless of how "top 5" Luongo is.
But come on, Gillis has too much pride. If he doesn't get a premium for his top 5 goalie he'll squander his asset if he had to and pay tens of millions just to do it. Haven't you heard?

It's the fundamental reason why any team with interest in him will HAVE TO pay a big price or face losing their jobs.

Gillis holds all the power in his asset Luongo

marty111 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:43 PM
  #921
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Disagree completely. There are teams without legitimate number 1 goalies that would be interested in Luongo. I can see GM's getting desperate, especially in a shortened season, and giving the Canucks what they want in order to take a run at the playoffs. Toronto, Edmonton come to mind. I can also see Chicago and possibly Washington getting involved too.
history suggests vancouver and the hawks won't be doing business anytime soon

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:44 PM
  #922
Christina Woloski
Registered Something
 
Christina Woloski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Narnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Luongo is not getting bought out....The owners are not going to pay that much for nothing when the option to trade either of Luongo or Schneider exists.

That being said you won't get fair value for Luongo. His contract is outrageous and you cannot afford to take substantial salary back, even in the short term. You're going to get bent over regardless of how "top 5" Luongo is.


How are you going to get bent ?

His annual salary vs his production is favorable and after this CBA, salaries will rise as his contract goes on. The only issue is when he retires, what type of hit the team will take, but now apparently the Canucks can trade him and keep some of his cap space or include cash.

There's a lot of people that view his contract as OMG - Worst contract ever, but it's not. Right now, his cap hit is lower than his production/value. That's awesome. It's years down the road that could/would be the problem. And even then, it's all dependent on unpredictable variables. His ability to play at a later age. His willingness to play a back up role, if he does stay longer in the contract, the state of other salaries in the NHL and the CAP space.

In short, his contract is a big risk, which will be much better defined once the CBA talks wrap up, but it's not a 'bad contract'. There's a risk there, but not enough to deem is this horrific deal like everyone on here does.

Christina Woloski is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:45 PM
  #923
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
history suggests vancouver and the hawks won't be doing business anytime soon
What history? The history that includes a rumor of Bowman offering Dave Bolland for Luongo?

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:47 PM
  #924
Christina Woloski
Registered Something
 
Christina Woloski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Narnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
They will trade Schneider before buying out Luongo as well. The idea is just ridiculous.

Christina Woloski is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
  #925
kthsn
Registered User
 
kthsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,719
vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Perhaps you should clarify what you mean by short term? I'm assuming a 2-3 year contract? What if he get's injured? What if he plays poorly? It would significantly affect his ability to make even money
3 years.

He can afford to take the risk when the Canucks pay him 30+ million for the buy out.

Why would Luongo pick money over location + playoff team when he's already getting paid a ridiculous amount?

kthsn is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.