HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

What's with Canada's obsession with role players?

Old
01-03-2013, 12:05 PM
dmacgreg37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
How is it overrated? Hockey Canada brought together the best junior players from across Canada + an NHL player in a lockout year. Minus a couple of questionable selections like Murphy and Lipon, this is the best possible team they could have fielded.

Not sure how anyone could predict that Hamilton, Rielly, Huberdeau, Ritchie would play so miserably.
Think Ritchie was alright with the time given, but totally agreed on general point.

dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Matte99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
This thread doesn't make any sense.

The only line that wasn't playing in their own end in the first 10 minutes was the 4th line.

And Drouin and MacKinnon did zilch today.

The loss wasn't about team selection, it was about getting the best players to show up.
This!

I never seen such a weak Canadian team ever. Played without an ounce of heart and pride. I'd say RNH isnt capten material for sure and you can also question the preparation from the coaching staff. Kudos to the american team but Canada was just passive like a dear looking into headlights...

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Statsy

To go back to the original point of this thread, Canada has tried to put all-star teams together before and failed miserably. We have won many championships across different events by understanding that you have to make a "TEAM". That includes having role players. As it happens, the role players on this team happen to be big time goal scorers as well, which is a best case scenario. We didn't lose this game because of roster issues, we lost it because we didn't show up today ready to play and the American team did in a big way.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Garyboy

They lost one game to a much better team. No need to reinvent the wheel. You're not always going to have the best team.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Dr Quincy

Generally speaking, if I had to pick a roster and had to choose between a player who really isn't a threat offensively but is good on d, and a player who isn't good on d but is a threat offensively (in other words, 2 incomplete players), I'd go with the skill guy.

Now of course if my whole team was made up of guys with no defense I might change that, but Canada has enough top 6 guys that can play in their own end too, that they really don't need to put defense 1st grinders on the team. I'd roll with offense, offense and offense in a tourney like this because no other country's defense could handle 60 minutes of facing an offensive line on every shift.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote