HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Mandatory winter/snow tires.....

Old
12-31-2012, 03:08 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
With the VERY VERY VERY limited driving talent the majority of the population has in quebec , I'm glad we have this law.I would suggest it to any nordic population.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:32 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
With the VERY VERY VERY limited driving talent the majority of the population has in quebec , I'm glad we have this law.I would suggest it to any nordic population.
Don't even start about this. Montreal drivers piss me off so bad. They suck.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:50 PM
chuckdobbins

In ten years driving in Boston I've never had any winter tires and never had any troubles in the snow. I'm not over confident by any means, just cautious.

I'm sure a good set of winter tires would help, but I still think safe driving habits trump everything.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Mandatory winter tires are a fantastic idea. I read about the Quebec law in Car and Driver. I wish states above the Mason Dixon line in the US would put into place a law. I've been using winter tires on my cars since I first got my own 9 years ago.

A RWD car with winter tires will outperform, outstop, and outmaneuver an AWD car with all-seasons. That should be reason enough to purchase winter tires. The stopping distance is dramatically reduced.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
All seasons aren't that good in the snow even if you have all-wheel drive. All seasons have bad performance when it comes to cornering and stopping in bad conditions. It is always recommended to get a set of winter tires. This is fact and there are many studies which show this.

If you buy both sets from the same store they'll usually do it for free.
All season tires may as well just be known as no season tires.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:55 AM
LSnow

Its almost impossible to drive without winter tires or equivalent so i thought it was standard everywhere that has winter.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

There's no such thing as an 'All Season' tire in Canada. More like a 3 Season tire. I have Winter Tires & Winter Rims for both our vehicles (and one is a Jeep with AWD) and it makes a huge difference. It's not just the snow and wet roads it's the cold temperatures. Regular tires become brittle below 7C where as Winter tires use a softer rubber compound.

I really hope that Ontario makes Winter tires mandatory soon as I'm tired of other people putting my family at risk because they were to cheap to buy Winter tires.

And AWD/4WD makes no difference if you can't get traction. It also makes no difference when braking.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushin Joo View Post
My winter tires might as well be all seasons they're so useless. My fault for buying used I guess. I think knowing how to drive in winter is more important than having winter tires.
This -- I have never had winter tires, my last car had all season tires though. People just really need to learn how to drive in the snow moreso than have winter tires. Best thing you can do is go to an empty parking lot with an inch or two of snow and just try to go sideways, learn how to control the car when it gets loose. I did that a lot with my old RWD, admittedly moreso to have fun than to learn how to control it, but it really does help. There was a couple times where I accidentally went sideways and just calmly corrected it because I knew how to. Although I am a little nervous though because now I have a FWD car and I never really took it sideways in the snow. I know FWD is supposed to be better in the snow but I was very comfortable with my RWD.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:39 AM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
This -- I have never had winter tires, my last car had all season tires though. People just really need to learn how to drive in the snow moreso than have winter tires. Best thing you can do is go to an empty parking lot with an inch or two of snow and just try to go sideways, learn how to control the car when it gets loose. I did that a lot with my old RWD, admittedly moreso to have fun than to learn how to control it, but it really does help. There was a couple times where I accidentally went sideways and just calmly corrected it because I knew how to. Although I am a little nervous though because now I have a FWD car and I never really took it sideways in the snow. I know FWD is supposed to be better in the snow but I was very comfortable with my RWD.
Front drives in the snow tend to be the opposite of a rear drive. You'll get a ton of understeer, and the front end will sometimes turn when it feels like it. I still think it's much better than RWD though.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:03 AM
stingo

I usually use winter tires in the winter, but this year I've been using my all seasons. I'm hoping to jet off to warmer temperatures for awhile, so won't be driving much in the winter, and if it snows or storms, I'll stay in.

stingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:14 AM
sabrefan27

Never used snow tires in my life, and I've almost always had light, compact cars. Plus I live in Rochester, so we get 100+ inches of snow in the average winter. Never had an issue, never spun out, never got stuck. Driving safe and the proper precautions are all you need.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
not having winter tires on your car is like playing goal without a mask... sure a puck never it you in the face, but chances are if you do get hit in the head with a puck you'll sure wish you were wearing a mask.

Oh, and if you need more proof...

http://tirf.ca/publications/PDF_publ...e_Report_7.pdf

Quote:
In a braking test (from 50 km/h to a full stop), the car with winter tires took 18 metres to stop whereas the car with all-season tires took 27.1 metres (33.6% less distance or a two car-lengths difference).

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
There's no such thing as an 'All Season' tire in Canada. More like a 3 Season tire.
Not 3 season tires at all. No season tires.

Summer tires are far, far better in weather above 50 degrees and winter tires far, far better in under 50 degree weather. I strictly use a summer tire and winter tire set-up. All season tires are pretty much worthless.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:51 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

Summer tires are far, far better in weather above 50 degrees and winter tires far, far better in under 50 degree weather. I strictly use a summer tire and winter tire set-up. All season tires are pretty much worthless.
Exactly, all season tires are a poor compromise that doesn't perform satisfyingly in any condition.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:59 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Live in North Dakota.

Drive a Toyota Yaris.

No winter tires.

Absolutely zero issues on snow/ice.

Seriously, it's all about knowing how to drive and having an ounce of sense.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
not having winter tires on your car is like playing goal without a mask... sure a puck never it you in the face, but chances are if you do get hit in the head with a puck you'll sure wish you were wearing a mask.

Oh, and if you need more proof...

Quote:
In a braking test (from 50 km/h to a full stop), the car with winter tires took 18 metres to stop whereas the car with all-season tires took 27.1 metres (33.6% less distance or a two car-lengths difference).
http://tirf.ca/publications/PDF_publ...e_Report_7.pdf

Yeah that pretty much says all you need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Exactly, all season tires are a poor compromise that doesn't perform satisfyingly in any condition.
Fair point, I was being generous.

But at least in the non winter seasons they aren't as much of a danger to the driver and everyone else on the road.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Sakic
Extra B is for BYOBB

Send a message via MSN to Sakic Send a message via Yahoo to Sakic
I work in a tire shop and would like to chime in here...in Calgary I would be all for a mandatory law. We are busy enough as it is but the amount of cars on the road with bald tires or garbage tires is downright scary.

When all-season tires are made and designed they are barely even considering Canada I'm sure...a market the size of California. All-weather tires are just as bad...everyone thinks they are the best option to winter tires but why? Because they have a mountain snowflake symbol on them? That symbol has become nothing more than a glorified m+s symbol (which used to be the standard for "all-season"). I can't remember the exact number but in order to get stamped with a mountain snowflake symbol you only have to be ~10% better stopping distance than the AVERAGE all-season, not the best. A dedicated winter tire is the safest thing to have installed during the winter.

As some posters have mentioned before it's all about how you drive and people need to learn how. Well guess what? When you're put in a bad position from a bad driver you will be relying on your tires not your ability.

So much effort has been spent trying to cut down on traffic accidents and deaths in Alberta recently (the change to .05 and the distracted driving law) but I'd be extremely surprised if either of those even comes close to the number of accidents caused by winter driving. The first day the snow hits the ground there is >500 accidents.

Bring on the mandatory law, just let me know so I can quit this job before it gets even busier.

Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic View Post
I work in a tire shop and would like to chime in here...in Calgary I would be all for a mandatory law. We are busy enough as it is but the amount of cars on the road with bald tires or garbage tires is downright scary.

When all-season tires are made and designed they are barely even considering Canada I'm sure...a market the size of California. All-weather tires are just as bad...everyone thinks they are the best option to winter tires but why? Because they have a mountain snowflake symbol on them? That symbol has become nothing more than a glorified m+s symbol (which used to be the standard for "all-season"). I can't remember the exact number but in order to get stamped with a mountain snowflake symbol you only have to be ~10% better stopping distance than the AVERAGE all-season, not the best. A dedicated winter tire is the safest thing to have installed during the winter.

As some posters have mentioned before it's all about how you drive and people need to learn how. Well guess what? When you're put in a bad position from a bad driver you will be relying on your tires not your ability.

So much effort has been spent trying to cut down on traffic accidents and deaths in Alberta recently (the change to .05 and the distracted driving law) but I'd be extremely surprised if either of those even comes close to the number of accidents caused by winter driving. The first day the snow hits the ground there is >500 accidents.

Bring on the mandatory law, just let me know so I can quit this job before it gets even busier.
Like I said before, i used to think that way so I do understand where they are coming from.

I wonder, if these same people were given snow tires for a week, a month or as long as a season, would they change their tune?

I know I did.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Unless your driving skill defies physics, facts are facts.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:11 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic View Post

Not to mention summer tires, also referred by some as "all season tires", slow you down to a ridiculously low speed (and thus everyone following). And those claiming they never get stuck with summer tires just haven't driven in bad enough weather. Try taking an exit that's blocked by the snow that was cleared off the highway, with 45 cm of snow covering that exit and black ice hiding underneath it. Take the next exit? Yeah, exactly. It's what I did with WINTER tires. Thing is if I had summer tires the next exit wouldn't have been an option either. And I'm not a bad driver.

I should have taken pictures some scenarios I have come across during the huge snow storm we had in Montreal two weeks ago. I guarantee the posters here boasting about their driving skills would suddenly change their minds about summer tires. I'm talking ridiculous amounts of snow that fall at such a rate that city workers can not keep up with its removal.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Unless your driving skill defies physics, facts are facts.

Thanks for this....

Old
01-05-2013, 10:05 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Here's another one

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:16 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

or you can know that there are such things as safe driving distances and that you might need more of a stopping distance in the winter. There's also the thought of not driving up somebody's ass like you're drafting Nascar-style.

I drive an all wheel drive with all seasons. I have no problem getting around, and this includes having to drive a steep hill to get to my apartment that is poorly maintained in the winter. If I know the roads suck, I back off of the driver in front of me.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
or you can know that there are such things as safe driving distances and that you might need more of a stopping distance in the winter. There's also the thought of not driving up somebody's ass like you're drafting Nascar-style.

I drive an all wheel drive with all seasons. I have no problem getting around, and this includes having to drive a steep hill to get to my apartment that is poorly maintained in the winter. If I know the roads suck, I back off of the driver in front of me.
This can also be read.....

Hey everyone behind me who prepped their car for winter please forgive me for driving 20 miles an hour slower than I should be since I didn't bother getting ready for winter.

If I drive slow enough my all seasons are just fine, and since I don't give a rats ass about anyone else but myself I really don't care if you're late for work, I'm just going to the corner store to pick up milk.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:32 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
This can also be read.....

Hey everyone behind me who prepped their car for winter please forgive me for driving 20 miles an hour slower than I should be since I didn't bother getting ready for winter.

If I drive slow enough my all seasons are just fine, and since I don't give a rats ass about anyone else but myself I really don't care if you're late for work, I'm just going to the corner store to pick up milk.
or you can stop assuming how I drive in the winter. I never said I drove slower than anybody else. I said I keep with the flow of traffic but I also keep my distance.

But hey, whatever works for you.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote