HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Blue Bombers 2013 Season Thread (next game: 08/05 @ BC)

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 05:12 PM
TroubaFan1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
JJ got burned on a long ball every game. Thats great JJ was ODP in 2011. Cheechoo scored 50+ goals in a season. "What have you done for me lately?"
lol terrible comparison. How did JJ get burned for a long ball every game when he played a third of the season at LB? As far as I know LBs dont cover the deep ball.

Old
12-16-2012, 01:43 AM
blueandgoldguy

Came across this gem of a video about the history of the Osborne Stadium - the Bombers old stadium from 1930s to 1953.

http://vimeo.com/43772530

For anyone who is a fan of the history of sports in Winnipeg, this is a must-watch!

Some notable things in the video..

I forgot there were two Winnipeg teams in the old Western Canadian Rugby Football Union, the Winnipeg Winnipegs and the St. John's Johnnies. Very original names - why did we change them?

Those teams merged to form the Winnipeg Pegs.

The football field dimensions at Osborne Stadium were like hybrid CFL/NFL field. Width was like the CFL field, but the length was like the NFL field! 100 yards in length and 10 yard endzones.

Imagine being a receiver running full speed into the endzone with no buffer between the back of the endzone and a 10-15 foot high wooden wall!

Didn't realize Satchel Paige and Jesse Owens made appearances at the stadium for baseball games either.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:42 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

vCash: 50
The CFL should do away with the minimum Canadian players on the roster rule. Instead create an incentive to having canadians on your team by not having their salary count against the cap.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
The entire secondary should be released starting with Hefney. It was a complete embarrassment .
Hefney was voted a CFLPA all-star, which is voted on by his peers. I think I'll take their word over yours.

He didn't even really have that bad of a year. He got caught on a few nice throws by quarterbacks, but that's what happens when you have a safety having a below average year and you play the inside half, especially in a zone defense. Watching him play, it was pretty obvious that being sandwiched between Jovon (who had a pretty bad year, imo) and Logan (who DEFINITELY had a bad year) didn't leave him with much confidence and he often cheated over to either side and occasionally got burnt for it.

That being said, I'd still take him over anybody in our secondary other than Johnny Sears. They had a down year as a unit, but that's one year. No reason they can't bounce back and hey, if they don't, there's always Sears and Washington to push for jobs.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:46 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaFan1 View Post
lol terrible comparison. How did JJ get burned for a long ball every game when he played a third of the season at LB? As far as I know LBs dont cover the deep ball.
I know this is only one play, but it pretty much sums up JJ season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaVK_...e_gdata_player

Old
01-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Bombers poach the man who is PROBABLY the league's best ST coordinator from Saskatchewan in Craig Dickenson.

Suck it Mack haters.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Bombers poach the man who is PROBABLY the league's best ST coordinator from Saskatchewan in Craig Dickenson.

Suck it Mack haters.
By this I assume you mean the overwhelming majority of Bombers fans? Ok then.

It's a freaking ST coordinator. Come talk to me when the Bombers re-sign or sign a single player of note...

Old
01-03-2013, 01:21 PM
sully1410

Quote:

Suck it Mack haters.
I really don't see how this absolves him from the travesty of an off season last time around.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
By this I assume you mean the overwhelming majority of Bombers fans? Ok then.

It's a freaking ST coordinator. Come talk to me when the Bombers re-sign or sign a single player of note...
If you don't think a ST coordinator is important, then your opinion really means nothing in this matter. If coaches weren't important, they wouldn't make as much as MOST players.

Oh, and they signed Johnny Sears today to keep him from hitting free agency. Excellent signing. Good extensions to Palardy, January, Watson and Greaves over the past few days too, but I suppose you missed those.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
If you don't think a ST coordinator is important, then your opinion really means nothing in this matter. If coaches weren't important, they wouldn't make as much as MOST players.

Oh, and they signed Johnny Sears today to keep him from hitting free agency. Excellent signing. Good extensions to Palardy, January, Watson and Greaves over the past few days too, but I suppose you missed those.
Did I say that? How exactly is he one of the best coaches in the league? Saskatchewan had fine special teams last year, but far from world changing. Maybe he is a great coach, hell I don't know, and quite frankly neither do you, unless your inside the locker room, not like the Roughriders destroyed everyone with amazing ST last year. Stop praising this as the greatest thing ever, it's a ST coordinator.

Finally managed to retain some talent, excellent to see. Sears and Watson are good signings. Greaves has had his time to adjust, he improves next year early or he is gone. Palardy had a good season and is solid, but his lack of leg strength is very annoying, hope they bring in somebody to challenge him. January, well whatever. But good on Mack, learned his lesson from the disaster that was last off-season? Maybe, we'll see.

And seriously I have not been checking cfl.ca everyday to see if the Bombers re-sign everybody. Wow, what a terrible fan I am.

C'mon. There is a reason most people hate Mack, he completely and utterly ****ed up last off-season and screwed the team for an entire season, in a league that it only takes one season to turn a franchise around. That's indisputable. It also doesn't mean he can't make good moves, or improve. Just because I think he has been bad so far, does not mean I will think everything he does is bad.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 01-03-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: toned it down
Old
01-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:

Suck it Mack haters.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while

01-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while
Are you saying Dickenson is crazy?

Old
01-03-2013, 06:13 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Did I say that? How exactly is he one of the best coaches in the league? Saskatchewan had fine special teams last year, but far from world changing. Maybe he is a great coach, hell I don't know, and quite frankly neither do you, unless your inside the locker room, not like the Roughriders destroyed everyone with amazing ST last year. Stop praising this as the greatest thing ever, it's a ST coordinator.

Finally managed to retain some talent, excellent to see. Sears and Watson are good signings. Greaves has had his time to adjust, he improves next year early or he is gone. Palardy had a good season and is solid, but his lack of leg strength is very annoying, hope they bring in somebody to challenge him. January, well whatever. But good on Mack, learned his lesson from the disaster that was last off-season? Maybe, we'll see.

And seriously I have not been checking cfl.ca everyday to see if the Bombers re-sign everybody. Wow, what a terrible fan I am.

C'mon. There is a reason most people hate Mack, he completely and utterly ****ed up last off-season and screwed the team for an entire season, in a league that it only takes one season to turn a franchise around. That's indisputable. It also doesn't mean he can't make good moves, or improve. Just because I think he has been bad so far, does not mean I will think everything he does is bad.
Rough day buddy?

I agree though. Palardy is hardly an extension worth celebrating. They guy can't hit a field goal outside of 35yds and he's easily replaced. Watson and Sears were good resigns though, but I'm not certain why we're celebrating our GM doing his ****ing job.

I get that special teams is important...but I'm with HC on this one. The Bombers have MUCH bigger problems then getting a new ST coordinator.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 01-03-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: quoted edited post (mine-Holden)
Old
01-05-2013, 07:23 AM
TroubaFan1

Its been nice to see day after day the Bombers getting things done. Garrett, Volny and Goltz. Watson and Greaves. Sears and Palardy. I really like bringing in Dickenson as the STC. We just got to get on that whole QB situation now.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:35 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Its been nice to see day after day the Bombers getting things done. Garrett, Volny and Goltz. Watson and Greaves. Sears and Palardy. I really like bringing in Dickenson as the STC. We just got to get on that whole QB situation now.
The only problem is the winds are too strong for the cranes to work, the stadium won't be ready till week 6 and we're starting the first five on the road.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:05 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
New stadium photos: (looking good)

http://www.bluebombers.com/photo_gal...allery/id/9319

Old
01-11-2013, 04:43 PM
TroubaFan1

Signed Hefney today. Another FA down only a couple left to go.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Signed Hefney today. Another FA down only a couple left to go.
**** YEAH! Sweet, already this off-season has last beaten by a country mile, but hopefully we can continue to retain talent and hopefully improve a little later on this off-season...

Old
01-29-2013, 12:52 AM
sully1410

Whoa whoa whoa...did I see that right?

BC traded Geroy Simon? To Saskatchewan?

WTF!!!???!!!?!??!

Old
01-29-2013, 01:00 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa...did I see that right?

BC traded Geroy Simon? To Saskatchewan?

WTF!!!???!!!?!??!
Yup, what is he now about 42? Blue Bombers also lost Vega to the New England Patriots.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:22 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Yup, what is he now about 42? Blue Bombers also lost Vega to the New England Patriots.
Oh well. I wish him the best, hopefully he sticks.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=414823

Als Assistant GM Marcel Desjardins named GM for as of yet unamed Ottawa CFL franchise.

Ottawa will be selecting 4 underclassmen in this draft, before an expansion draft and full participation in the draft next year and kicking off in 2014.

Very good news as they continue to move forward.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:52 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Also good news that the Als keep losing talent....but no matter, we'll have to move back to the West anyway.

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=414823

Als Assistant GM Marcel Desjardins named GM for as of yet unamed Ottawa CFL franchise.

Ottawa will be selecting 4 underclassmen in this draft, before an expansion draft and full participation in the draft next year and kicking off in 2014.

Very good news as they continue to move forward.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:20 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Edmonton traded for Reilly from BC

Now everyone has a qb but us

Edit: Lions asked to switch firsts, and for the bombers to give up a 3rd.

Last edited by King Woodballs: 01-31-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Edmonton traded for Reilly from BC

Now everyone has a qb but us

Edit: Lions asked to switch firsts, and for the bombers to give up a 3rd.
Is that just for a straight swap of firsts or for Reilly?

If its just for the firsts I don't see why we would do that...but for Reilly...I don't know.

Closed Thread