HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Alberta's Wildrose party proposes lottery to fund NHL arenas

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2013, 05:46 PM
  #1
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,609
vCash: 500
Alberta's Wildrose party proposes lottery to fund NHL arenas

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412721

Quote:
Alberta's Wildrose party has come up with a lottery scheme that it hopes will skate around the politics of funding new NHL hockey arenas in Edmonton and Calgary.

The idea is to use the Oilers and Flames brands and expand a digital lottery game called Keno into 1,000 bars and pubs across the province. Much of the proceeds would help pay for the new facilities.

Wildrose Leader Danielle Smith says about $20 million a year would flow to each city, not directly to the Edmonton Oilers or Calgary Flames organizations.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:08 PM
  #2
bromine
Registered User
 
bromine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WPG
Posts: 288
vCash: 50
Don't current digital lottery games and other similar gambling devices generate revenue that goes towards public services like health care?

Simply adding more machines will siphon gambling cash used for other more important expenses.

bromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:26 PM
  #3
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Na'ē panjā
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromine View Post
Don't current digital lottery games and other similar gambling devices generate revenue that goes towards public services like health care?

Simply adding more machines will siphon gambling cash used for other more important expenses.
This is what I was thinking. And encouraging more gambling doesn't sound very responsible either.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:33 PM
  #4
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,627
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromine View Post
Don't current digital lottery games and other similar gambling devices generate revenue that goes towards public services like health care?

Simply adding more machines will siphon gambling cash used for other more important expenses.
It would be an interesting social experiment. Have the machines and post labels to describe where their money is directed and see which ones get more play.

Then use all the money for public services anyway.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:41 PM
  #5
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromine View Post
Don't current digital lottery games and other similar gambling devices generate revenue that goes towards public services like health care?

Simply adding more machines will siphon gambling cash used for other more important expenses.
You could say that about anything. Hell, the mere existence of the Flames and Oilers means that the money that Albertans spend on hockey tickets is money that they can't donate to hospitals and other charitable organizations. Should the Flames and Oilers just relocate to Alabama for the good of hospitals across the country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
This is what I was thinking. And encouraging more gambling doesn't sound very responsible either.
If it was the state's responsibility to discourage behavior because someone somewhere might take it too far, then we wouldn't be able to buy booze, cigarettes, lottery tickets, medication, caffeine, porn, and junk food. What magically makes this different?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:48 PM
  #6
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
You could say that about anything. Hell, the mere existence of the Flames and Oilers means that the money that Albertans spend on hockey tickets is money that they can't donate to hospitals and other charitable organizations. Should the Flames and Oilers just relocate to Alabama for the good of hospitals across the country?



If it was the state's responsibility to discourage behavior because someone somewhere might take it too far, then we wouldn't be able to buy booze, cigarettes, lottery tickets, medication, caffeine, porn, and junk food. What magically makes this different?
No you can't. This is giving money to millionaires to pay other millionaires and avoid property taxes.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:02 PM
  #7
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
So do they want to shift current lottery spending from funding other civic functions, or are they actually talking about trying to encourage more gambling amongst the middle class...?

  Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:36 PM
  #8
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,554
vCash: 772
Lottery: The tax on the mathematically challenged

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:50 PM
  #9
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,539
vCash: 2960
I have nothing wrong with holding lotteries to fund an arena. If it's now considered fine for teams to force "Personal Seat" Licenses to fund arenas, then a lottery shouldn't be considered wrong either.

__________________
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:58 PM
  #10
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromine View Post
Don't current digital lottery games and other similar gambling devices generate revenue that goes towards public services like health care?

Simply adding more machines will siphon gambling cash used for other more important expenses.
Not a bad idea, in theory. Better than corporate welfare cheques from municipal governments. Too bad neither of Alberta's two main political parties can be trusted to handle something like this. The right-wingers in the Wild Rose Party, for ideological reasons, will find a way to privatize the profits and socialize the losses once the arena is actually built, while the Tory crooks in power now will give the profits to Redford's relatives and the bills to Albertans.

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:01 PM
  #11
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Lottery: The tax on the mathematically challenged
It's a little bit more complicated than that. From a pure expected value concept, this is almost always true. With the exception of certain progressive jackpot lotteries, you will lose an infinite amount of money if you played a lottery or a scratch ticket an infinite number of times. From an expected utility perspective, however, winning a $10 million lottery jackpot will help you more than the $5 a week you spend on tickets will hurt you, assuming you play responsibly. I rarely play lotteries because I prefer playing poker (as well as other card or dice games) when I have the urge to gamble, and I find it more stimulating to play against people rather than against a house, which is why I don't set foot in casinos even though I'm all for having one in Ottawa proper.


Last edited by StoneColdFlower*: 01-03-2013 at 11:48 PM.
StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:11 PM
  #12
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Lottery: The tax on the mathematically challenged
That's one limited perspective.

There are many others where it becomes clear why it is in fact quite rational for people to play the lottery.

  Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:18 PM
  #13
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,554
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
There are many others where it becomes clear why it is in fact quite rational for people to play the lottery.
If you're playing a buck or even $10 a week, I mean yeah, who cares it's not a big deal.

It's when people start dropping $100+ on their own when people are idiots, because mathematically your odds aren't that much better with 100 tickets than they are 1.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:45 PM
  #14
bromine
Registered User
 
bromine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WPG
Posts: 288
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
You could say that about anything. Hell, the mere existence of the Flames and Oilers means that the money that Albertans spend on hockey tickets is money that they can't donate to hospitals and other charitable organizations. Should the Flames and Oilers just relocate to Alabama for the good of hospitals across the country?
Your argument makes no sense. Hospitals aren't funded by private donations, they're funded by taxes and other sources of government revenue.

Private citizens like us are free to spend our cash however we want, including on frivolous things like hockey games and ipods - though we have a strong incentive to spend our money wisely. Governments are mandated to spend our money wisely.

My point is that adding more gambling machines isn't "free money" as is being implied by the Wildrose. Spending new gambling revenues on a hockey arena is equivalent to spending ordinary tax dollars on one. Therefore it's not immune to scrutiny.

bromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:22 AM
  #15
xlnc66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 500
In B.C., the government has their own legalized sportsbook style betting site called playnow.com. They figure since so many people are using the offshore sportsbooks to wager, they might as well try to keep some of that money in province.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:45 AM
  #16
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Lottery: The tax on the mathematically challenged
It's money the tax payers are willingly giving away so they cannot whine about it.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:33 AM
  #17
gmyx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sensville
Country: Canada
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromine View Post
Your argument makes no sense. Hospitals aren't funded by private donations, they're funded by taxes and other sources of government revenue.
Hospitals do benefit from private donations either through direct donations or the plethora of 'lotteries' they run every year. They are usually targeted funding but still from private sources.

As for the lottery, for most people it's voluntary and harmless. For the rest, it's a mental addiction and is a problem for them.

gmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:39 AM
  #18
Grimmas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
That's one limited perspective.

There are many others where it becomes clear why it is in fact quite rational for people to play the lottery.
Loto 649 has a 1 in 26 million chance to win the jackpot.

Grimmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:53 AM
  #19
Swarez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Can someone in Alberta correct me if I am wrong here about the party it self.

They are a far right wing border line libratarion party?

They talk about being responsible for yourself, not using government for everything etc. Than they have this which is private business, getting benefit from government run program? Is this not counter to what there party stands for, they are just adding a new layer of government.

This to me from the outside, just seems like pandering, which sure will get votes but than they will become just a regular party, that everyone will hate.

Edit: If anything they should open up gambling laws, let the teams run it themselves and if people chose to buy tickets teams will get money. Wouldn't that be the far right/small government approach.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
  #20
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,045
vCash: 500
The only way it would work (without hurting existing lottery revenues) is if the Flames and Oilers brands were directly associated. But there's no way in hell that the NHL would allow gambling to use its brands as a label.

Typical well thought out policy from the Wildrose party.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
  #21
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmas View Post
Loto 649 has a 1 in 26 million chance to win the jackpot.
On aggregate what are the chances of somebody winning it? The chances of my house burning to the ground are pretty slim. But I still buy insurance. Insurance companies make money so mathematically speaking it doesn't make sense to buy insurance. But we do because its better to spend a small amount for the potential savings in case of a huge disaster. The logic behind the loto is no different.

And its 1 in roughly 14 million not 26

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:55 PM
  #22
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
 
Diamondillium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,424
vCash: 50
Ugh, I disagree on all their political platforms, but I really want a new arena. It's not fair that they make me choose.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:09 PM
  #23
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,487
vCash: 500
It's a good idea, we're going to have to start funding arenas. Owners will just move the team to a city that gives them a free arena.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
  #24
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
good move , the city pushed for that here too but the provincial govt prefered to give us a check

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:57 PM
  #25
algernon
Registered User
 
algernon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
The only way it would work (without hurting existing lottery revenues) is if the Flames and Oilers brands were directly associated. But there's no way in hell that the NHL would allow gambling to use its brands as a label.

Typical well thought out policy from the Wildrose party.

No doubt, I'll quickly be set straight, but I'm certain there was a Flames/Oilers branded lottery back in the .60 Canadian dollar days...
I think they set a target amount, and when reached, the lottery was finished.

algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.