HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Taylor Hall - The most under appreciated player on HF

Old
01-03-2013, 09:24 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Never know... how many canadian natural LWers are there and how many of them would be around for Sochi? Unless they are moving Tavares\Stamkos etc to wing Hall will be fighting against the likes of Seguin and Benn for a spot on the left side (both of which are also C)
i think Hall's chance at Sochi will be determined by the success of eberle, RNH and hall. Canada showed brains last time in taking linemates to eliminate the time to gel and have chemistry. If Hall, Eberle and RNH do in the NHL what they have been doing in the AHL all 3 of them will have a shot at Sochi imo

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The fact that Smyth was immediately named the captain at the Spengler Cup should speak volumes. He commands respect and is well liked.
He's also got, what, one or two years left in the tank? Great guy, but if you're going to go ahead and pass the C on, you gotta give it to one of the kids.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:28 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
Same, and I'll add never give the C to a guy who left the team over a small amount of money in a contract dispute. Sure Lowe deserves heat for letting him go over a small amount, but that goes both ways. It wasn't a big amount, it was small. that makes the tears the crocodile variety. I say this as a guy who owns a new Smyth jersey.
i agree completely, and Hall is already the leader among the kids, he is a natural leader and will be the captain anyway so why not cut the BS and give it to him. Crosby, Toews, deserved it because they are faces of the franchise and natural leaders some people just are and by all accounts Hall has that factor.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

I think Oilers fans overrate him, however, hes underrated by everyone else.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
I think people also fail to take into account the location of fans.
I'm sure there are many people here on the Oiler board who see very few games from eastern teams and can't fairly judge players from the other conference.
It's worse in the east, where I think even more eastern fans don't see many games for teams in the west. Even if they have centre ice or something, how late the games can start out west make a difference, too.
I think it's common for all of us to make judgements on players from the limited amount we see. This is probably happening with hall. all people hear about are the injuries and only perhaps see one or two games of his in a season.
when Hall is being compared to Tavares, for example, how many of you actually see enough games of Tavares to fairly judge?

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Qrispy

I've seen a lot of Tavares and I'd take him over any of our boys.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:56 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
I would not..Eberle looks at another level..his shot is beyond anything in the league right now..seriously.
Hall is a machine, a machine that can put up points..those don't grow on trees..not even pine trees..or oak for that matter..
Yakupov is dynamic..like Ovechkin except he DOES care about defence..he's like Hall except he hasn't proven himself at the NHL level..
RNH is Gretzky junior..transfer him back to the Gretzky era and he puts up similar numbers.

Tavares is great in his own right..but I'm in love with oilers youngsters...man crush love that is. Tavares is like a mix of Bossy and Trottier..and a lil Spezza.

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:03 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Absolutely but we've got some pretty nice consolation prizes. Tavares is already one of the best players in Canada.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:09 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Well Tavares was once thought to be Crosby's successor

None of our players is at his level yet but it's possible.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:28 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
I disagree. Nuge and Hall both could easily end up better, and I've learned better than to doubt Eberle. Tavares is definitely the best right now, but its no guarantee it stays that way

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:30 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I disagree. Nuge and Hall both could easily end up better, and I've learned better than to doubt Eberle. Tavares is definitely the best right now, but its no guarantee it stays that way
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
I would not..Eberle looks at another level..his shot is beyond anything in the league right now..seriously.

You guys are crazy, I'm sorry but Tavares is clearly the better player.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Hall is a machine, a machine that can put up points..those don't grow on trees..not even pine trees..or oak for that matter..
Yakupov is dynamic..like Ovechkin except he DOES care about defence..he's like Hall except he hasn't proven himself at the NHL level..
RNH is Gretzky junior..transfer him back to the Gretzky era and he puts up similar numbers.

Tavares is great in his own right..but I'm in love with oilers youngsters...man crush love that is. Tavares is like a mix of Bossy and Trottier..and a lil Spezza.
this is why people rag on hall, hate Oiler fans and hate how Oiler fans pump the tires of the young players.
your hyperbole is very embarassing. your only correct comment is Yakupov hasn't proven himself on the NHL level.

hall is a machine. if he was a machine he would have played more than 60 games a year already. and RNH is gretzky jr?

even Eberle. I think he's the real deal and going to be a huge star. but to be realistic, he does have to play as good as last season more than once before he will begin to get his due.

I really hope you just forgot to use a

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Cam98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
agreed, id take Tavares over anyone except Hall (just cause im a huge Hall homer)

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:43 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Tavares is a stud, but he is still some what over rated from him junior days. He still has not lived up to his potential phenom status. His skating is still sub par for the NHL. I would take Nuge ahead of him personally, between him and Hall I would say its a coin toss. I would take him over Yaks and Eberle though, but it is pretty dam close.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:50 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Well Tavares was once thought to be Crosby's successor

None of our players is at his level yet but it's possible.
Ya, but Tavares has clearly not lived up to that. At this point Nuge looks more like the air apparent to Crosby than Tavarez.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:59 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
I said that Tavares is currently the better player...

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:40 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Ya, but Tavares has clearly not lived up to that. At this point Nuge looks more like the air apparent to Crosby than Tavarez.
Tavares' style is comparable to Crosby. Nuge is nothing like them TBH.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Tavares thinks the game on a high level but he's just an OK skater. I agree that he's better than all of the Oilers' youngins though. He was getting Crosby-like hype, especially after he broke Gretzky's "Most goals in a single season by a 16 year old" OHL record.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I said that Tavares is currently the better player...
As he should be, given that he's older and more experienced. I bet Hall has a better career, though.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Hall is great, and only going to get better.

Tavares is better right now, but we'll see who ends up with the better career. It may come down to the quality of teams they end up on and as bad as Oiler's management has been they aren't in the same realm as NYI when it comes to ineptitude, nor have the Islanders accumulated anywhere near the level of organizational talent.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:12 AM
workedforme

Quote:
Yakupov is dynamic..like Ovechkin except he DOES care about defence..

workedforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:31 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Tavares isn't like Crosby and isn't even close to Crosby. People need to stop making this comparison. Crosby got over 100 points in his rookie season, he's scored 50 goals and won a Stanley Cup, Art Ross trophies, Maurice Richard and the Hart. JT has NONE of those and is less likely to win them than RNH. He's not even close to being on the same level of Stamkos and the hype machine said he was going to be much better. Tavares is great but he's way over-hyped right now. He's barely better than Eberle and is worse defensively than a 22nd overall pick who plays for a worse team.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:33 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Tavares isn't like Crosby and isn't even close to Crosby. People need to stop making this comparison. Crosby got over 100 points in his rookie season, he's scored 50 goals and won a Stanley Cup, Art Ross trophies, Maurice Richard and the Hart. JT has NONE of those and is less likely to win them than RNH. He's not even close to being on the same level of Stamkos and the hype machine said he was going to be much better. Tavares is great but he's way over-hyped right now. He's barely better than Eberle and is worse defensively than a 22nd overall pick who plays for a worse team.
Crosby is without a doubt a much better player, I'm just talking about the way they play the game. How they stick handle, pass, skate. Just their style.

Not saying he's on Crosby's level but I'd say he's the player in the league who plays closest to Crosbys style of game.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Taveres is no where near Crosby.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:43 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
Taveres is no where near Crosby.
Can you guys read? I said his style, the way he plays. There is no question that Crosby is on a whole other level but if I could pick one player in the NHL who plays a similar style to Crosby I'd say it's Tavares.