HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

John Gibson

Old
01-03-2013, 05:28 PM
DeflatedFootball7

vCash: 500
John Gibson

Curious what his value would be after the way he's been playing. The Ducks are loaded with talented goalie prospects so that's something to consider.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Nothing. Not saying he is untouchable but he is the perfect replacement for Hiller after his next contract.

Noone would overpay for an unproven prospect enough to make it worth it.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:35 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Curious what his value would be after the way he's been playing. The Ducks are loaded with talented goalie prospects so that's something to consider.
No they're not. Gibson is the top G prospect and after that, there's no top notch blue chippers there at all. Gibson's ascent to the bigs should be in perfect time to replace Hiller, and it would take a big overpay to pry him away from the Ducks. I bet BM would only move him in a deal for an elite player.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:37 PM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Gibson was great. Before annointing him anything, I recall Jack Campbell being great in a WJHC. Where's he now? I could name several Canadian goalies I could say the same about over the years. He looks like a good prospect. But he hasn't proven a thing professionally.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:39 PM
sabresfan129103

There is no way in hell Anaheim trades this guy. He's a future allstar.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:52 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
No they're not. Gibson is the top G prospect and after that, there's no top notch blue chippers there at all. Gibson's ascent to the bigs should be in perfect time to replace Hiller, and it would take a big overpay to pry him away from the Ducks. I bet BM would only move him in a deal for an elite player.
Frederik Andersen (born 2 October 1989) is a Danish ice hockey goaltender, who currently plays for Norfolk Admirals.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
Gibson was great. Before annointing him anything, I recall Jack Campbell being great in a WJHC. Where's he now? I could name several Canadian goalies I could say the same about over the years. He looks like a good prospect. But he hasn't proven a thing professionally.
Except that his performance in the WJC is basically how he has always played in the OHL also. This is him, not him playing fantastic.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Well, this took a bit longer than I expected.

Quote:
He doesn't need to be "annointed" anything. Not having proven a thing professionally is inherently true for any prospect at that level - it doesn't change anything about the subjective value to a hockey club. And when looking at Gibson's play, I feel more confident in his style than in Campbell's, in terms of how good of a basis he has to move his game to the next level. There's no guarantees, obviously. But there's no question whatsoever that he's a premier goaltending prospect, and those hold very real value around the league.

Quote:
Frederik Andersen (born 2 October 1989) is a Danish ice hockey goaltender, who currently plays for Norfolk Admirals.
That doesn't really contradict what he says, since Andersen can't really be considered a "top notch blue chip goaltending prospect". He's an intruiging project, but he certainly has significant holes in his game that he'll have to work on to make it to the NHL. His numbers in the AHL indicate that even with the struggles he did face, there's some upside, but there shouldn't be any doubts about him being a long-shot, and not coming close to the value of Gibson.

Ultimately, the Ducks most likely won't trade him. They have been looking to achieve some sort of depth in the goalie pipeline for quite a while, and Gibson is the safest bet (he's not a sure bet, obviously, he's just the safest in comparision) to take over from Hiller when he's ready. It's a very comfortable situation for the Ducks, and since we don't really lack prospect depth in any area far more than in net, it's very hard to imagine a deal the Ducks would be tempted with.

Organisations tend to not give away prospects that they have every reason to be excited with.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Sevanston

If he gets the #1 spot in Anaheim in a few years, how about kicking Hiller our way?

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
If he gets the #1 spot in Anaheim in a few years, how about kicking Hiller our way?
Since it is indeed still very much a question of "if", rather than "when" (which unfortunately you edited out, but I still wanted to make that statement... ), that's a question that can't really be sensibly answered today.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:20 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
I didn't say Gibson is their only goalie prospect. I said Gibson is their only blue chipper, as Vipors already mentioned. Anderson, Fasth and even Bobkov are all big, intriguing prospects but not nearly on the same level as Gibson.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:22 PM
DisneyDucky

Quote:
I didn't say Gibson is their only goalie prospect. I said Gibson is their only blue chipper, as Vipors already mentioned. Anderson, Fasth and even Bobkov are all big, intriguing prospects but not nearly on the same level as Gibson.
Fasth gotta be pushing the age-limit to be called a prospect

DisneyDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:32 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Gibson is one of the few goalie prospects right now that seem like sure-fire number ones in the next 2-3 years.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDucky View Post
Fasth gotta be pushing the age-limit to be called a prospect
For my own sake, being just a few years younger than Fasth, I would love to be able to disagree, but yeah - at 30 years of age, Fasth certainly still is intruiging with the path he took, but he certainly can't be considered a prospect.

Suffers from the same issue as Hiller, actually, who many slightly more casual fans would never expect to be 30 years old, either. Perception always gets a little distorted when guys make it to the stage a little late.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:42 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Fair enough. Sorry if I came off as rude.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Hey guys! Have you heard about this Steve Mason kid? He was unbelievable at the world juniors. He is clearly a blue chip prospect and is worth 8 1st overalls.

Fast forward a few years...

Goalies are so unpredictable. Draft pedigree and how they play in junior means nothing towards their NHL careers. Guys like Price were an exception. I would rather trade for someone like Holtby who stepped up cold against a very good team and played with everything he had.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Gibson is one of the few goalie prospects right now that seem like sure-fire number ones in the next 2-3 years.
Gibson is far from a sure-fire number one in the NHL.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Hey guys! Have you heard about this Steve Mason kid? He was unbelievable at the world juniors. He is clearly a blue chip prospect and is worth 8 1st overalls.

Fast forward a few years...

Goalies are so unpredictable. Draft pedigree and how they play in junior means nothing towards their NHL careers. Guys like Price were an exception. I would rather trade for someone like Holtby who stepped up cold against a very good team and played with everything he had.
Please. If he was your prospect you'd be salivating over him.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Please. If he was your prospect you'd be salivating over him.
In total honesty, I would much rather have a guy like Holtby. Gibson's greatest strength was his spread. It forced the Canadians to aim higher but they were being so sloppy about it so they kept hitting the glass.

He will still most likely turn into a great goaltender. But at this age it is so hard to tell. For whatever reason, goaltenders can go from boom to bust in just a few years.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
That's fine. Anaheim will happily hold on to their blue chip prospect, and let him develop. With Hiller between the pipes, we don't need to rush him. Gibson is one of the best G prospects in the world, and more than anything, I think he's defined by his consistency and mental strength. He has the potential to be a star goalie. Maybe he doesn't become one, but naming one flop doesn't cast his future into doubt.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:40 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

What do you want??? McNeill, Olsen, Beach, + goalie prospect your choice.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:41 PM
DisneyDucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
What do you want??? McNeill, Olsen, Beach, + goalie prospect your choice.
Toews

DisneyDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Gibson was great. Before annointing him anything, I recall Jack Campbell being great in a WJHC. Where's he now?
The AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
In total honesty, I would much rather have a guy like Holtby.
You'd rather have the top goalie prospect in the world than Gibson? Going real far out on the limb there.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:25 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 831
Quote:
Gibson
Andersen
Bobkov
Call if premature, but Gibby is the best of the bunch. Bobkov will be lucky to make it to the NHL.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:04 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Goalie prospects don't have that much value, no way anaheim trades him because his value would probably be a 2nd rounder or something, but he has franchise type goalie upside

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote