HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

PGT: Semifinal #1: USA vs. Canada

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 07:29 PM
HanSolo
aka DuckJet

vCash: 68
I'll say before the lock that it's annoying that from now on USA is apparently going to have medaled because Subban choked, Spott should be flipping burgers not coaching, and Murphy was atrocious. That's the majority of what I've seen here and on Twitter.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:30 PM
LiquidSnake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I'm a Canadian and I would cheer for the Russians over the US. I want the chsmpuonship to go to a country that actually gives a damn about winning it.
If they had lost, most would have said they dont care about this tournament so I agree.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:31 PM
MISC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I'll say before the lock that it's annoying that from now on USA is apparently going to have medaled because Subban choked, Spott should be flipping burgers not coaching, and Murphy was atrocious. That's the majority of what I've seen here and on Twitter.
Dude, Canadian here. Americans played world class hockey.

No excuse. We got thumped.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:31 PM
jimmycarter

canada has more talent for sure...but talent doesn't always mean you're the best team.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Why do you care? Be happy that US is playing in the Gold medal game.

For the record, the whole team sucked.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Warm Cookies
Til Death Do Us Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Only one I can think of that did that was Castillo. Corona was with the US team first. Gomez, Bornstein, Torres etc never played for Mexico. The youth program is full of latino players.
See, this is why Canadians hate when the US wins. When we win, the conversation never descends into soccer analogies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
I can see that, a bit. I mean I know that's partially why. But I never crossed the two. I never mixed up international affairs with the NHL. Up until I started getting called a traitor, I never really differentiated between American players and Canadian ones or American teams and Canadian ones. I didn't care. It was a non-issue. Canadians need to stop acting like they wanna take their ball and go home. I don't mean to you, but it's the attitude of many. I mean hey, makes for a good rivalry and heated match-ups, but I just wish my fellow Canadians weren't so offended at anything and everything that has to do with the US. And when the US does win a game or a tourney, handle it with class and admit that we aren't as dominant as we once were rather than opening up the big book of excuses, and getting in to politics.

And as far as a player's roots, what truly matters is where they're trained, not where their dad or mom or grandfather was born. If we traced everyone's roots I think European nations would be the only ones playing. Heck Mike Modano would be on Team Italy.
There's nothing political about it, just nationalistic. If there were no such thing as national pride, there'd be no value in teams divided by national allegiances. US population and money occasionally threaten in various ways to appropriate what makes Canada unique, and some people don't like it. That's understandable to me, even if I don't turn into an arrogant and insulting goof on account of it. There's no excuse for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowline View Post
Of course they don't but the point is they exist.
What? Idiotic Canadians with internet access?

Yep, we have those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I have a question on this. I do see a lot of Canadian kids as well, but how do you account for the fact our US system and developmental program seems to really pump up these kids values? They target them and make their development paramount. Team USA is filled with lots of second generation pro kids, but man they seem to do a lot more with them and I find that interesting.

Also could point out Zack Parise and some of the other guys constantly pointed out here think of themselves as American. It is their choice that is how they view themselves as individuals and their say in the matter is ultimately what matters. For the most part these guys aren't the Brett Hull type situations anymore. Some of them with options to pursue Canada or in one kids case this year Russia have made the choice that they are American and people should repsect that.
I don't begrudge these kids for choosing to represent the country they grew up in. For Candians, it's just the unfortunate inevitability of hundreds of Canadian pro hockey players following the money, which usually follows population.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Hurt

Thread over limit. New one up.