HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Offseason (6-10; Gailey and staff fired, Brandon now President)

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 08:02 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
Warming up to Horton.

Whisenhunt though would have NEVER been hired under Ralphie.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I think the best thing the Bills can do is interview as many people as they can. I'm not opposed to Horton, but bring in Smith too. Bring in Marrone, and McCoy, and Arians (hope the Ravens win so his season ends and he can then be pursued). I hope they don't leave Arizona already decided on their guy.

Should be noted: Lovie Smith would be great with a competent off coordinator...but he has always chosen horrible OCs. Horton supposedly already has an offensive staff in place, but we're not privy to that (I assume he gave names to the Bills). If Horton's OC choice sucks...then he suddenly goes from intriguing to stay-the-hell-away.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:49 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

TBN blog says that Chip Kelly will interview with Philadelphia, Cleveland, and Buffalo. Also the Bills have set up an interview this weekend with Denver OC Mike McCoy.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
20 years ago today:

Old
01-03-2013, 12:12 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
TBN blog says that Chip Kelly will interview with Philadelphia, Cleveland, and Buffalo. Also the Bills have set up an interview this weekend with Denver OC Mike McCoy.
Just saw that on an ESPN crawl during the Sugar Bowl. Good to get an interview even though Kelly will just probably use the Bills offer for leverage to get the Philly job.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Williams, Mularkey and Gailey were hungry. I'll leave Jauron out since he was a walking corpse.
Zombies are hungry, aren't they?

Old
01-03-2013, 02:40 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Any interest in Bri Guy Kelly?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nfl-attention/

Old
01-03-2013, 10:32 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Since this thread is almost kicked, proposed title for the next one:

Buffalo Bills: Offseason #54 - Fans everywhere unanimously declare "Exodus of Israelites was easy by comparison."

Old
01-03-2013, 10:45 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
I'm intrigued, but I don't see it as a viable option, mostly because if you are a successful coach at Notre Dame, you are set for life...there's no reason for Brian Kelly to leave...ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Since this thread is almost kicked, proposed title for the next one:

Buffalo Bills: Offseason #54 - Fans everywhere unanimously declare "Exodus of Israelites was easy by comparison."
Offseason #54: 55th time's the charm!!

Old
01-03-2013, 10:56 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

ESPN reporting Lovie will interview this weekend with the Bills.

Also, with Reid looking like he's going to the Chiefs, Lovie's other preferred job (Arizona) is still open...Bills might need to move faster than I'd like to get Lovie if they want him. Really hope they get a chance to interview Arians before having to make a decision on Lovie or anyone else.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

This is a great article from a couple months ago on Chip Kelly and his numbers-based methodologies.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-...revolution-nfl

Quote:
This is how and why Chip Kelly will modernize the game in the same way that Billy Beane's triumphs showed baseball executives that getting on base is more important than batting average. Soon enough Kelly will take over an NFL team. (A national championship is possible this season, but those Bama boys are a different breed and that Saban fella is a pretty incredible coach in his own right.) Whenever Kelly does enter the league, he'll play the game aggressively, with "aggressively" meaning in a mathematically logical fashion. By the end of the season every coach will be going for it on fourth down, attempting fake punts, fake field goals, two-point conversions, and they'll likely do all of this oblivious to the fact that there's astounding mathematical evidence supporting the decisions they're making.
I just ranted on this topic on Twitter, I apologize for any of you who follow me.

It is so frustrating to watch coach after coach around the league make decisions that are just flat out dumb. It's a league right now where decisions are based in risk-aversion rather than what's actually best for the outcome of the game, though (obviously) most have no idea that's the case.

Case in point, the article says how their complex statistical model says that not only is it dumb to kick a field goal on 4th and short from the 20, it's ludicrous. Yet Chan Gailey tells us he punted twice from the 34 yard line on 4th and short in the final few games because he was "playing the percentages".

How is it taking so long for these numbers to start creeping into the game. The evidence is overwhelming, and it's right in front of their faced unless they are actively trying to avoid it.

I would love to see a coach in Buffalo that embraces this side of the game. It doesn't have to be revolutionary or extreme, but like this article says, Belicheck and Sean Payton seem to have a firm grasp on these numbers and use it in their decision making. I want a guy like that, that's at least willing to employ some of these philosophies.

I understand to a certain extent why a coach would be hesitent, because in the world of the NFL, if you fail with an unconventional method, you're going to be fired in a heartbeat, it makes it easy. That's why it will take sweeping changes, and an organization that really embraces this change rather than simply one coach.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:56 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
This is a great article from a couple months ago on Chip Kelly and his numbers-based methodologies.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-...revolution-nfl

I just ranted on this topic on Twitter, I apologize for any of you who follow me.

It is so frustrating to watch coach after coach around the league make decisions that are just flat out dumb. It's a league right now where decisions are based in risk-aversion rather than what's actually best for the outcome of the game, though (obviously) most have no idea that's the case.

Case in point, the article says how their complex statistical model says that not only is it dumb to kick a field goal on 4th and short from the 20, it's ludicrous. Yet Chan Gailey tells us he punted twice from the 34 yard line on 4th and short in the final few games because he was "playing the percentages".

How is it taking so long for these numbers to start creeping into the game. The evidence is overwhelming, and it's right in front of their faced unless they are actively trying to avoid it.

I would love to see a coach in Buffalo that embraces this side of the game. It doesn't have to be revolutionary or extreme, but like this article says, Belicheck and Sean Payton seem to have a firm grasp on these numbers and use it in their decision making. I want a guy like that, that's at least willing to employ some of these philosophies.

I understand to a certain extent why a coach would be hesitent, because in the world of the NFL, if you fail with an unconventional method, you're going to be fired in a heartbeat, it makes it easy. That's why it will take sweeping changes, and an organization that really embraces this change rather than simply one coach.
Brandon said he was adding an analytics department, so that would be the organization embracing that change one would think.

I like that mindset, but I just have an uneasy feeling about Kelly personally...dunno why, but I just can't shake the feeling that he's going to bust in the NFL.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Brandon said he was adding an analytics department, so that would be the organization embracing that change one would think.

I like that mindset, but I just have an uneasy feeling about Kelly personally...dunno why, but I just can't shake the feeling that he's going to bust in the NFL.
I know but I'm guessing a lot of other teams have some kind of analytics department too. But it doesn't appear any one team has really fully embraced it top to bottom yet. I would love to see Buffalo be the one to do that.

I'm not completely sold on Kelly either.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:41 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Lovie Smith or Chip Kelly, I'll be happy with either of the two. If it's anyone else, OBD won't get a penny from me ever again.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Lovie Smith or Chip Kelly, I'll be happy with either of the two. If it's anyone else, OBD won't get a penny from me ever again.
Those are the only two I want, as well. Unless OBD does something crazy like pulls Gruden out of the broadcast booth.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:11 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Those are the only two I want, as well. Unless OBD does something crazy like pulls Gruden out of the broadcast booth.
RB is chummy with Chuckie but I hear Chuckie wants too much control.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:12 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I'm intrigued, but I don't see it as a viable option, mostly because if you are a successful coach at Notre Dame, you are set for life...there's no reason for Brian Kelly to leave...ever.

Offseason #54: 55th time's the charm!!
Charm for what???

Old
01-03-2013, 07:28 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Knowing the Bills I can almost guarantee Ken Whisenhunt will be named coach. He's a "Pittsburgh" guy and friends with Doug Whaley. it's pathetic we are enamored with a bum coach who got fired from the ARIZONA CARDINALS

Last time I checked, Tom Donahoe, Mike Mularkey and Chan Gailey were all Pittsburgh guys too

Besides Chip and Lovie, I could live with Mike McCoy (Denver OC) being named coach also. Doug Marrone too but I don't see him leaving SU so soon.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Old Navy Goat

While you're at it, isn't Whatley a Pittsburgh guy also

Old
01-03-2013, 08:31 PM
dma0034

I'm not as big on Chip Kelly as everyone else is. Would like to see Lovie Smith or Mike Holmgren (but it will probably be the Wiz)

Old
01-03-2013, 09:04 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
While you're at it, isn't Whatley a Pittsburgh guy also
Yes Whaley is.That's why the first 2 people we interview are Horton and Whisenhunt.All 3 were in Pittsburgh together.We need to stop with the good ol boy system and look outside of the box.I don't want to hire Wiz or Horton because he is friends with Whaley.Bring in a proven winner (head coach), not a proven winner "assistant".That dumb quote that Whaley said where he and Wiz "won" a few Super Bowls together made me shake my head.Wiz was an OC, he was hardly the reason why the Steelers won the 2 Super Bowls.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:57 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Knowing the Bills I can almost guarantee Ken Whisenhunt will be named coach. He's a "Pittsburgh" guy and friends with Doug Whaley. it's pathetic we are enamored with a bum coach who got fired from the ARIZONA CARDINALS

Last time I checked, Tom Donahoe, Mike Mularkey and Chan Gailey were all Pittsburgh guys too

Besides Chip and Lovie, I could live with Mike McCoy (Denver OC) being named coach also. Doug Marrone too but I don't see him leaving SU so soon.
Yeah, I don't want Whisenhunt. I'm warming up to Horton. I don't know enough about McCoy or Marrone to really know one way pr the other. But I don't want Chip because I just think he'll be a pro flop.

WGR suggested that Hue Jackson was a name being linked to the Bills. It also suggested that he has a good relationship with Lovie Smith...so Smith with Jackson at OC would be probably my favorite scenario at this point (Jackson is right now the Bengals secondary coach, so no doubt he would take an OC job to get back to the offensive side).

Old
01-03-2013, 10:02 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Time to ditrch the loser mentality?

http://wgr550.com/pages/15183793.php...entId=12127659

White is kind of a tool....

I feel like it needs to be earned. They have showed me nothing yet.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Job is Whisenhunt's if he wants it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisTrap...23602921005056

Quote:
Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso
Can confirm: Buffalo #Bills head coaching job is Ken Whisenhunt's if he wants it.

2:32 a.m. Fri, Jan 4

Old
01-03-2013, 10:08 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Job is Whisenhunt's if he wants it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisTrap...23602921005056
Worst fears...they'd fall in love with one guy and not do a thorough search. I mean...at least listen to what Lovie Smith has to say!

And of course they pick the worst option to fall in love with...

So...3 years from now, who we looking at for coaches?

Closed Thread