HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NJD 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
If Lou wanted to take a goalie, I'm glad he was robbed of the chance.
I doubt it, but this.

Don`t make assumptions that don`t make much sense.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:31 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Regardless, we're drafting Jonathan Drouin and that's that. Lou will work his magic and the Prudential center will go ****ing ape **** when Bettman will say "We have a trade announce. The NJ Devils get the 3rd overall pick for..." (while looking like a human bobble head).

Old
01-03-2013, 03:33 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Matteau was slotted to go around where we were going to draft on most lists that I saw.

It's really doubtful that one of Lou or Conte didn't at least kick around the idea of using the pick on Matteau beforehand.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
Would like to see us pick up another 2nd or at least a 3rd rounder this year and want us to go with forwards in the first three rounds that have the ability to score and at least 1 or 2 to play the right side. We went with some project picks last year and seem fairly stocked on bottom 6 type guys. We need a stud forward to add to the stable. I could also see us adding a young goalie prospect later in the draft but probably more for use in Albany if Wedgewood and Kincaid pan out over the next few years.
Stick with picking the BPA regardless of position. By the time any 2013 picks are competing for NHL spots, who knows what our roster looks like. I'm sure if we dug up a "Predict the 2013 roster" thread from just before the 2009 Draft, we'd see plenty of prospective lineups with Patrice Cormier, Nic Bergfors, and Matt Corrente.

I like our current prospect depth at D, but it's usually a bad assumption that all of them are going to pan out like we expect.

If the BPA is D (like this past draft with Severson at the end of round 2), you might as well take him even if it isn't a position of need. Team always has the option of trading him down the line or making another D expendable in a trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
Personally I think Samuelsson was the guy we were hoping for, but he got picked a couple of picks before us. But I do also hold to the idea that Matteau will be ready before anyone from the 2014 draft, even if that player turns out better overall. It's just a difficult situation to assess. At least Matteau seems to be developing well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
He had to forfeit his pick before the draft even got underway, so he had to go based on assumptions more then anything else.

You rarely see two goalies get picked in the 1st round, so that maybe threw him off when both Vasilevski and Subban were off the board when it was our time to pick someone.
I still don't think the Devils staff could/would have focused on one or two players in particular while picking at #29. They more likely approached it having a handful of players that they'd figure might be available. The hypothetical situation I can imagine is that they were okay with keeping the 2012 pick knowing they could land one of ~dozen prospects.

By the time the pick was forfeited, many had Tampa taking a goalie at #19. The night before the draft, Tampa acquired Anders Lindback which made me think that they might wait on a goalie. Boston at #24 seemed a logical spot for a goalie as well since they could have used a top tier goalie prospect as insurance for Tuukka Rask eventually.

Teams do plenty of internal mock drafts in preparation for the draft. I have to think it's unlikely that they weren't at least prepared for a scenario where Vasilevski and Subban were both off the board by #29.

Two goalies going in the first hasn't been too uncommon. 2010 had Jack Campbell (11th) and Mark Visentin (27th). 2008 had Chet Pickard (18th) and Thomas McCollum (30th). 2006 had Jonathan Bernier (11th), Riku Helenius (15th), Semyon Varlamov (23rd), and Leland Irving (26th). 2005 had Carey Price (5th) and Tuukka Rask (21st).

Plus it's highly dependent on the draft year. Some years just feature better goalies than others.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:52 PM
CerebralGenesis

Mini-Brodeur is probably fine with them not taking a goalie last year. Leaves the gateway for him later in this year's draft.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Mini-Brodeur is probably fine with them not taking a goalie last year. Leaves the gateway for him later in this year's draft.
He better start growing, I don't think the NHL is going to bother with many 5'10" goalies anymore.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
CerebralGenesis

There's always the other mini Brodeur

Old
01-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
I would just like to understand the logic behind it all and no, I don't buy the "we'll get Matteau 2 years earlier, so he'll be able to help us sooner rather then later". As a Devils fan for so many years, I know and about 99% of this board knows, that our prospects aren't rushed to the big league so I'm not bying that one bit. If we were talking about a top 5 pick ala Larsson, maybe, but Matteau is light years away from being in the same class and I see him "helping" us in about 5 years.
Right, we don't rush any prospects, so even our hypothetical 2014 pick wouldn't be rushed either. Any way you slice it, we still end up with Matteau being two years ahead of that guy in development.

Quote:
If Lou wanted to take a goalie, I'm glad he was robbed of the chance.
Goalies are such a crapshoot. We got lucky with Marty, but in most years, taking a goalie with a first rounder is a gamble, with a low success rate. The forwards are the most likely to pan out, I believe.

Quote:
There's always the other mini Brodeur
I hear one of the twins is pretty good, the one who is a forward.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:54 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Right, we don't rush any prospects, so even our hypothetical 2014 pick wouldn't be rushed either. Any way you slice it, we still end up with Matteau being two years ahead of that guy in development.
You're absolutely correct... But odds are that we'll be selecting in the mid teen's/earlier teen's in the next 2 years and that right there should be enough of a reason to not be thrilled about using the 29th overall pick.

If we end up with a lottery pick and we have to forfeit it, I can already imagine the riot around here.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Devils731

Quote:
You're absolutely correct... But odds are that we'll be selecting in the mid teen's/earlier teen's in the next 2 years and that right there should be enough of a reason to not be thrilled about using the 29th overall pick.

If we end up with a lottery pick and we have to forfeit it, I can already imagine the riot around here.
I just went eyeballed from 2007 to 2003, there are plenty of mid first round busts and there are late first round scores, doesn't look to me like there is a huge difference between picking 18th and 29th.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Of course you can, you`ll most likely be in charge of the pack.

Quote:
I just went eyeballed from 2007 to 2003, there are plenty of mid first round busts and there are late first round scores, doesn't look to me like there is a huge difference between picking 18th and 29th.
What he said.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Jack Griffin

Quote:

Based on how the Devils have finished the last 20 years our average draft position is 22nd place. So I'm not sure how the odds are we'll be picking in the mid to earlier teens.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:45 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Precisely.

If the Devils finish with another lottery pick in 2014, the forfeited pick will be the last of 1,000 things I'll be worried about concerning the team.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Tretyak 20

Quote:

I think Lou's plan is to not let the team deteriorate in the first place. Maybe in 2014 we'll be drafting at the bottom again.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Devils1029

I remember reading last year that we had Tom Wilson come to Newark for additional testing after the combine. Also heard that we had liked Colton Scissons..throw in Samuelson rumors and the actual pick of Matteau and it says to me that Conte had in mind to draft a player with toughness who could chip in some goals. With #29, they were going to try to get the best player available matching that skillset. Arguably, you had Wilson, Laughton, and Samuelsson all go in the first round before we picked but going in, I think we had identified these 5 guys as potential picks that filled a need and were sure we'd get at least one of them. That's why they kept the pick.

Look at last bunch of top picks and none of them exude any sort of toughness overall....Larsson, Josefson, Tedenby, Merrill? Then we added Severson who also has an edge to his game. The two Ben's as well....see the pattern here?

Personally, I could see this years theme as being focused on either a) adding RW depth, b) speed, c) snipers (possible boom/bust) or d) nabbing a top rated goalie if available and we're picking 20th or worse.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:20 PM
apice3*

Has anyone been to the NHL draft before? Is it worth going to? Is it common/easy to run into the players?

Old
01-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

in the first round i suspect we'd draft bpa, afterwords we'll probably hunt for boom/bust forwards. most good teams get a surprise top 6 forward and top 4 d-man every few years.

i think we can all agree that we have enough options on d to pretty much guarantee that two or more will pan out. unfortunately we can't say the same about the forwards. we have a few guys that could become solid bottom six players, but there are only a few options for the top 6 and they all seem like outside shots.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Parise9Crosby87

i hope we get all fowards and maybe 1 goalie

Old
01-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
in the first round i suspect we'd draft bpa, afterwords we'll probably hunt for boom/bust forwards. most good teams get a surprise top 6 forward and top 4 d-man every few years.

i think we can all agree that we have enough options on d to pretty much guarantee that two or more will pan out. unfortunately we can't say the same about the forwards. we have a few guys that could become solid bottom six players, but there are only a few options for the top 6 and they all seem like outside shots.
I really hope that Lou gets Andrighetto in the fifth or sixth rounds, if the 7th rolls around and he's still there, we better get him.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Has anyone been to the NHL draft before? Is it worth going to? Is it common/easy to run into the players?
I would think it's worth going to, you watch it every year on TV, it'd be cool to see it live in your home state because it won't be happening soon again and it's not an event your likely going to travel to a nearby city to see - and you'll get to see some players drafted that can have big impacts in the NHL in their future

Old
01-03-2013, 08:52 PM
CerebralGenesis

I think its worth going to once. I went last year.

Doubt I would go again though, its fun but hectic and hard to tell what is happening unless you really really really follow the prospects for every round.

Meeting some cool media guys is interesting too. Waved at Burnside last year in my Brodeur jersey.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Devils1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
i hope we get all fowards and maybe 1 goalie
Me too..assuming a possible pick in the 10-20 range here are a few forwards that I like:

1st round
1. Hunter Shinkaruk (if he drops)
2. Adam Erne
3. Max Domi
hm: Burakovsky
hm: Anthony Mantha
hm: Frederik Gauthier

2nd round (assuming they are available)
1. Hudson Fasching
2. Connor Hurley (possibly overlooked high school player)
3. Bo Horvat
hm: Valentin Zykov
hm: Wenneberg
hm Anthony Duclair

Old
01-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
I think its worth going to once. I went last year.

Doubt I would go again though, its fun but hectic and hard to tell what is happening unless you really really really follow the prospects for every round.

Meeting some cool media guys is interesting too. Waved at Burnside last year in my Brodeur jersey.
...with your fist I assume (and hope). haha

Old
01-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
...with your fist I assume (and hope). haha
nah **** that, I hope it was with those fingers in the middle of both of his hands

Old
01-04-2013, 05:15 AM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
Me too..assuming a possible pick in the 10-20 range here are a few forwards that I like:

1st round
1. Hunter Shinkaruk (if he drops)
2. Adam Erne
3. Max Domi
hm: Burakovsky
hm: Anthony Mantha
hm: Frederik Gauthier

2nd round (assuming they are available)
1. Hudson Fasching
2. Connor Hurley (possibly overlooked high school player)
3. Bo Horvat
hm: Valentin Zykov
hm: Wenneberg
hm Anthony Duclair
Right now I'd say Wennberg is ahead of Burakovsky. Wennberg will most probably be drafted in the 1st round, going to be rising in the rankings. He's going to be the unknown Swede who comes out of nowhere like Lindholm did last year. Obviously not going to be drafted that high but 20-30 is a good bet.

Closed Thread