HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-13 CBA Discussion Thread *NHL/NHLPA Please do Something!!*

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2013, 12:41 PM
  #951
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,682
vCash: 500
Oh its changed now lol. Thanks.

StumpNYI is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 12:56 PM
  #952
Hipietro
Registered User
 
Hipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,432
vCash: 500
I wonder if the average Long Islander even remembers the Isles exist at this point...

Hipietro is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 04:31 PM
  #953
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,673
vCash: 500
It looks like the 2013-2014 cap ceiling, is a big sticking point.

Hopefully, the owners won't budge off the $60m cap proposal. It's bad enough we have the amnesty buyout.


http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6855989/
The league is insisting on a limit of just $60-million, which is where the salary cap would be set based on the players receiving 50 per cent (instead of 57 per cent) of last year’s $3.3-billion in revenues.

(Quick calculation on that? Take $3.3-billion, times by 0.50, minus $90-million for benefits, then divide by 30 teams. That gives you a $52-million midpoint, which is always $8-million below the cap.)

The players, on the other hand, want a $67-million cap to give them options where to play.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 06:06 PM
  #954
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Oh its changed now lol. Thanks.
To alleviate any misrepresentations I changed it.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 07:28 PM
  #955
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,752
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
It looks like the 2013-2014 cap ceiling, is a big sticking point.

Hopefully, the owners won't budge off the $60m cap proposal. It's bad enough we have the amnesty buyout.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6855989/
The league is insisting on a limit of just $60-million, which is where the salary cap would be set based on the players receiving 50 per cent (instead of 57 per cent) of last year’s $3.3-billion in revenues.

(Quick calculation on that? Take $3.3-billion, times by 0.50, minus $90-million for benefits, then divide by 30 teams. That gives you a $52-million midpoint, which is always $8-million below the cap.)

The players, on the other hand, want a $67-million cap to give them options where to play.
Is this for sure?

seafoam is online now  
Old
01-02-2013, 10:16 PM
  #956
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Is this for sure?
The press has been reporting a one time amnesty buyout, as an agreed upon point.



I wasn't happy with the league rolling over on that point,but guess the NHL needed to bend, get the talks back on.

Now we're reading that the NHLPA wants a $67m cap in 2013-2014, instead of a $60m cap.

I read an article earlier in this lockout, about the 2005 lockout. Reportedly the NHL felt they left too many loopholes in the last cba and was determined not to do the same this time.

Well, rolling over on key issues at the 11th hour to save a 48 game season, seems pretty foolish imo.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 10:26 PM
  #957
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
An amnesty buyout with a $67M cap basically kills any leverage the Isles may have had in the search for cap casualties on the trade front. Great.

Anyway, foolish or not Crew... get it done because I want some damn hockey.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 11:53 PM
  #958
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
An amnesty buyout with a $67M cap basically kills any leverage the Isles may have had in the search for cap casualties on the trade front. Great.

Anyway, foolish or not Crew... get it done because I want some damn hockey.
Nah. I'd rather see the talks fall apart and the season canceled, then see a bad deal for small-mid market teams.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 09:12 AM
  #959
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,912
vCash: 500
FYI:
The thread's title is odd:
Please So Something"

Mr Wentworth is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 09:37 AM
  #960
Tavaresfan91
Registered User
 
Tavaresfan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelgr...52208551686144


This guys saying NHL has agreed to 2 free buyouts per team. Dipietro and who is other buyout? Reasoner? Idk

Tavaresfan91 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 09:45 AM
  #961
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelgr...52208551686144


This guys saying NHL has agreed to 2 free buyouts per team. Dipietro and who is other buyout? Reasoner? Idk
While i hope we would buy out the rick. I find it unlikely that wang allows it. We will need his contract to reach the floor. So i personally think think he will nit go anywere. The yashin buyout is also already on the books for a few more years i think. I just cant see us buying out the rick. Although i hooe we do . The man is bad news for the future of this club.

Fantom is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 09:47 AM
  #962
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelgr...52208551686144


This guys saying NHL has agreed to 2 free buyouts per team. Dipietro and who is other buyout? Reasoner? Idk
I also do not think we woukd buy out anyone else. There is no one on a terrible deal other then the rick.

Fantom is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 09:54 AM
  #963
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,752
vCash: 100
I would probably stop being a fan of this franchise if we didn't buy out Rick. An oppurtunity to wipe is contract off the books without penalty makes sense in everyway.

seafoam is online now  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:25 AM
  #964
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelgr...52208551686144


This guys saying NHL has agreed to 2 free buyouts per team. Dipietro and who is other buyout? Reasoner? Idk
I think the 2005 cba would not let teams re-sign the players they had bought out, for at least a yr.

Can anyone confirm this?

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 10:30 AM
  #965
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I would probably stop being a fan of this franchise if we didn't buy out Rick. An oppurtunity to wipe is contract off the books without penalty makes sense in everyway.
Understanding Wangs fiscal prudence, Wang would rather keep DP on the books to avoid having to pay another roster player to make up the difference cap-wise AND he's better off letting DP retire due to injury where insurance picks up the tab vs Wang himself on the buyout.

Eitherway, DP will remain in the organization as long as Wang owns it. No question.

blitzkriegs is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:32 AM
  #966
CodeE
Registered User
 
CodeE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Understanding Wangs fiscal prudence, Wang would rather keep DP on the books to avoid having to pay another roster player to make up the difference cap-wise AND he's better off letting DP retire due to injury where insurance picks up the tab vs Wang himself on the buyout.

Eitherway, DP will remain in the organization as long as Wang owns it. No question.
I disagree. With the move to Brooklyn, Wang will likely want a "fresh start" for the franchise that's been terrible since the 80s. Any idiot knows a clean wipe of DP's contract would massively benefit this franchise, both on the ice and the court of public opinion.

If DP retiring due to injury and insurance picking up the tab was an option, it would have happened 3 seasons ago. They'll distance themselves from DP the same way they distanced themselves from Yashin.

CodeE is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
  #967
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,413
vCash: 500
Insurance no longer pays for Rickeys cap hit, last season was his last year of coverage. Assuming the buyout is 2/3 total paid out over twice remaining left, itd be foolish not to buy him out unless he plans on using a non-amnesty one to keep the hit.

Not sure if what happens if he retires. Im under the impression the cap hit leaves but whatever insurance doesnt cover is on Wang (as opposed to a +35 contract where the hit stays).

Hipster Doofus is online now  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:13 PM
  #968
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,792
vCash: 500
They'll buy out Rick for sure, simply because they have no other choice. Even Wang knows that the 4.5 million will be better spent on someone who can actually play. Furthermore with the new cap coming down, there is much less pressure on the Isles to keep signing players for the sake of reaching the floor and with the move to Brooklyn impending I think we may well see a different attitude from now on.

IslesNorway is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:16 PM
  #969
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,413
vCash: 500
That 4.5 is better spent cause for the first time it actually has to be paid by Wang and not insurance. Pure business, buying out Rick before his coverage expires would be a waste of money. This is an early water test.

Hipster Doofus is online now  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:34 PM
  #970
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Insurance no longer pays for Rickeys cap hit, last season was his last year of coverage. Assuming the buyout is 2/3 total paid out over twice remaining left, itd be foolish not to buy him out unless he plans on using a non-amnesty one to keep the hit.

Not sure if what happens if he retires. Im under the impression the cap hit leaves but whatever insurance doesnt cover is on Wang (as opposed to a +35 contract where the hit stays).
Are we talking cap hit or actual cash? Wang self insured DP bc his contract was outside the SPC insurance. If DP retires due to injury, then insurance picks up the cash payout to DP. If the isles buyout DP, then the Isles pay out cash to DP. Big difference. Wang doesn't want to pay out the cash. Would you? (if your goal was to contain costs, not win - which is Wang's goal). DP's not "hurting" the isles cap situation since they are not a Cap ceiling team.. Rather, he's helping it by padding the floor.

Also, there is nothing to date that indicates Wang will buyout DP to use his cap space for another player. Barclays move or not. He's riding DPs 4.5 million as long as he can.

Now, no one knows the cap hit rules based on the new CBA. They could stay the same or be amended. Too early to tell.


Last edited by blitzkriegs: 01-03-2013 at 12:40 PM.
blitzkriegs is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:37 PM
  #971
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,673
vCash: 500
I saw these tweets about DiPietro on another board.
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
To #Isles fans: Team doesn't see Rick D. as a distraction, so my feeling is he'll stay. That's a big check to write before the BK move.


https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL
Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL
@StapeNewsday Oh, I hear you, Arthur. Wasn't directed at your tweets, which were excellent. And I agree: Rick's not being bought out.


Last edited by CREW99AW: 01-03-2013 at 12:43 PM.
CREW99AW is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:40 PM
  #972
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
FYI:
The thread's title is odd:
Please So Something"
Sorry I'll correct it.

Homeland Security is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 12:49 PM
  #973
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,128
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Are we talking cap hit or actual cash? Wang self insured DP bc his contract was outside the SPC insurance. If DP retires due to injury, then insurance picks up the cash payout to DP. If the isles buyout DP, then the Isles pay out cash to DP. Big difference. Wang doesn't want to pay out the cash. Would you? (if your goal was to contain costs, not win - which is Wang's goal). DP's not "hurting" the isles cap situation since they are not a Cap ceiling team.. Rather, he's helping it by padding the floor.

Also, there is nothing to date that indicates Wang will buyout DP to use his cap space for another player. Barclays move or not. He's riding DPs 4.5 million as long as he can.

Now, no one knows the cap hit rules based on the new CBA. They could stay the same or be amended. Too early to tell.
And it's never going to happen.

So buy him out.

Kevin27nyi is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:08 PM
  #974
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Are we talking cap hit or actual cash? Wang self insured DP bc his contract was outside the SPC insurance. If DP retires due to injury, then insurance picks up the cash payout to DP. If the isles buyout DP, then the Isles pay out cash to DP. Big difference. Wang doesn't want to pay out the cash. Would you? (if your goal was to contain costs, not win - which is Wang's goal). DP's not "hurting" the isles cap situation since they are not a Cap ceiling team.. Rather, he's helping it by padding the floor.

Also, there is nothing to date that indicates Wang will buyout DP to use his cap space for another player. Barclays move or not. He's riding DPs 4.5 million as long as he can.

Now, no one knows the cap hit rules based on the new CBA. They could stay the same or be amended. Too early to tell.
Totally agree. If he's insured, no reason to buy him out because his track record of being hurt will likely continue, so insurance will also eat up the bulk of his salary each year he keeps trying to play until he packs it in. Isles just need to play him for the three weeks it takes for him to have a season-ending injury.

JKP is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 07:49 PM
  #975
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Why would insurance be paying his salary? He's never been on IR.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.