HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-13 CBA Discussion Thread *NHL/NHLPA Please do Something!!*

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 12:41 PM
StumpNYI

vCash: 500
Oh its changed now lol. Thanks.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Hipietro

I wonder if the average Long Islander even remembers the Isles exist at this point...

Old
01-02-2013, 04:31 PM
CREW99AW

It looks like the 2013-2014 cap ceiling, is a big sticking point.

Hopefully, the owners won't budge off the $60m cap proposal. It's bad enough we have the amnesty buyout.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6855989/
The league is insisting on a limit of just $60-million, which is where the salary cap would be set based on the players receiving 50 per cent (instead of 57 per cent) of last year’s $3.3-billion in revenues.

(Quick calculation on that? Take $3.3-billion, times by 0.50, minus $90-million for benefits, then divide by 30 teams. That gives you a $52-million midpoint, which is always $8-million below the cap.)

The players, on the other hand, want a $67-million cap to give them options where to play.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Oh its changed now lol. Thanks.
To alleviate any misrepresentations I changed it.

01-02-2013, 07:28 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
It looks like the 2013-2014 cap ceiling, is a big sticking point.

Hopefully, the owners won't budge off the $60m cap proposal. It's bad enough we have the amnesty buyout.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6855989/
The league is insisting on a limit of just $60-million, which is where the salary cap would be set based on the players receiving 50 per cent (instead of 57 per cent) of last year’s $3.3-billion in revenues.

(Quick calculation on that? Take $3.3-billion, times by 0.50, minus $90-million for benefits, then divide by 30 teams. That gives you a $52-million midpoint, which is always $8-million below the cap.)

The players, on the other hand, want a $67-million cap to give them options where to play.
Is this for sure?

Old
01-02-2013, 10:16 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Is this for sure?
The press has been reporting a one time amnesty buyout, as an agreed upon point.

I wasn't happy with the league rolling over on that point,but guess the NHL needed to bend, get the talks back on.

Now we're reading that the NHLPA wants a $67m cap in 2013-2014, instead of a $60m cap.

I read an article earlier in this lockout, about the 2005 lockout. Reportedly the NHL felt they left too many loopholes in the last cba and was determined not to do the same this time.

Well, rolling over on key issues at the 11th hour to save a 48 game season, seems pretty foolish imo.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:26 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

An amnesty buyout with a $67M cap basically kills any leverage the Isles may have had in the search for cap casualties on the trade front. Great.

Anyway, foolish or not Crew... get it done because I want some damn hockey.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:53 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
An amnesty buyout with a $67M cap basically kills any leverage the Isles may have had in the search for cap casualties on the trade front. Great.

Anyway, foolish or not Crew... get it done because I want some damn hockey.
Nah. I'd rather see the talks fall apart and the season canceled, then see a bad deal for small-mid market teams.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

FYI:
The thread's title is odd:
Please So Something"

Old
01-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Tavaresfan91

https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelgr...52208551686144

This guys saying NHL has agreed to 2 free buyouts per team. Dipietro and who is other buyout? Reasoner? Idk

Old
01-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post

This guys saying NHL has agreed to 2 free buyouts per team. Dipietro and who is other buyout? Reasoner? Idk
While i hope we would buy out the rick. I find it unlikely that wang allows it. We will need his contract to reach the floor. So i personally think think he will nit go anywere. The yashin buyout is also already on the books for a few more years i think. I just cant see us buying out the rick. Although i hooe we do . The man is bad news for the future of this club.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Fantom

Quote:

I also do not think we woukd buy out anyone else. There is no one on a terrible deal other then the rick.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:54 AM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 100
I would probably stop being a fan of this franchise if we didn't buy out Rick. An oppurtunity to wipe is contract off the books without penalty makes sense in everyway.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:25 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

I think the 2005 cba would not let teams re-sign the players they had bought out, for at least a yr.

Can anyone confirm this?

Old
01-03-2013, 10:30 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I would probably stop being a fan of this franchise if we didn't buy out Rick. An oppurtunity to wipe is contract off the books without penalty makes sense in everyway.
Understanding Wangs fiscal prudence, Wang would rather keep DP on the books to avoid having to pay another roster player to make up the difference cap-wise AND he's better off letting DP retire due to injury where insurance picks up the tab vs Wang himself on the buyout.

Eitherway, DP will remain in the organization as long as Wang owns it. No question.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:32 AM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Understanding Wangs fiscal prudence, Wang would rather keep DP on the books to avoid having to pay another roster player to make up the difference cap-wise AND he's better off letting DP retire due to injury where insurance picks up the tab vs Wang himself on the buyout.

Eitherway, DP will remain in the organization as long as Wang owns it. No question.
I disagree. With the move to Brooklyn, Wang will likely want a "fresh start" for the franchise that's been terrible since the 80s. Any idiot knows a clean wipe of DP's contract would massively benefit this franchise, both on the ice and the court of public opinion.

If DP retiring due to injury and insurance picking up the tab was an option, it would have happened 3 seasons ago. They'll distance themselves from DP the same way they distanced themselves from Yashin.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Hipster Doofus

Insurance no longer pays for Rickeys cap hit, last season was his last year of coverage. Assuming the buyout is 2/3 total paid out over twice remaining left, itd be foolish not to buy him out unless he plans on using a non-amnesty one to keep the hit.

Not sure if what happens if he retires. Im under the impression the cap hit leaves but whatever insurance doesnt cover is on Wang (as opposed to a +35 contract where the hit stays).

Old
01-03-2013, 12:13 PM
IslesNorway

They'll buy out Rick for sure, simply because they have no other choice. Even Wang knows that the 4.5 million will be better spent on someone who can actually play. Furthermore with the new cap coming down, there is much less pressure on the Isles to keep signing players for the sake of reaching the floor and with the move to Brooklyn impending I think we may well see a different attitude from now on.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Hipster Doofus

That 4.5 is better spent cause for the first time it actually has to be paid by Wang and not insurance. Pure business, buying out Rick before his coverage expires would be a waste of money. This is an early water test.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:34 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Insurance no longer pays for Rickeys cap hit, last season was his last year of coverage. Assuming the buyout is 2/3 total paid out over twice remaining left, itd be foolish not to buy him out unless he plans on using a non-amnesty one to keep the hit.

Not sure if what happens if he retires. Im under the impression the cap hit leaves but whatever insurance doesnt cover is on Wang (as opposed to a +35 contract where the hit stays).
Are we talking cap hit or actual cash? Wang self insured DP bc his contract was outside the SPC insurance. If DP retires due to injury, then insurance picks up the cash payout to DP. If the isles buyout DP, then the Isles pay out cash to DP. Big difference. Wang doesn't want to pay out the cash. Would you? (if your goal was to contain costs, not win - which is Wang's goal). DP's not "hurting" the isles cap situation since they are not a Cap ceiling team.. Rather, he's helping it by padding the floor.

Also, there is nothing to date that indicates Wang will buyout DP to use his cap space for another player. Barclays move or not. He's riding DPs 4.5 million as long as he can.

Now, no one knows the cap hit rules based on the new CBA. They could stay the same or be amended. Too early to tell.

Last edited by blitzkriegs: 01-03-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old
01-03-2013, 12:37 PM
CREW99AW

I saw these tweets about DiPietro on another board.
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
To #Isles fans: Team doesn't see Rick D. as a distraction, so my feeling is he'll stay. That's a big check to write before the BK move.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL
Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL
@StapeNewsday Oh, I hear you, Arthur. Wasn't directed at your tweets, which were excellent. And I agree: Rick's not being bought out.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 01-03-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old
01-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
FYI:
The thread's title is odd:
Please So Something"
Sorry I'll correct it.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Are we talking cap hit or actual cash? Wang self insured DP bc his contract was outside the SPC insurance. If DP retires due to injury, then insurance picks up the cash payout to DP. If the isles buyout DP, then the Isles pay out cash to DP. Big difference. Wang doesn't want to pay out the cash. Would you? (if your goal was to contain costs, not win - which is Wang's goal). DP's not "hurting" the isles cap situation since they are not a Cap ceiling team.. Rather, he's helping it by padding the floor.

Also, there is nothing to date that indicates Wang will buyout DP to use his cap space for another player. Barclays move or not. He's riding DPs 4.5 million as long as he can.

Now, no one knows the cap hit rules based on the new CBA. They could stay the same or be amended. Too early to tell.
And it's never going to happen.

So buy him out.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:08 PM
JKP

Quote:

Totally agree. If he's insured, no reason to buy him out because his track record of being hurt will likely continue, so insurance will also eat up the bulk of his salary each year he keeps trying to play until he packs it in. Isles just need to play him for the three weeks it takes for him to have a season-ending injury.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Why would insurance be paying his salary? He's never been on IR.

Closed Thread