HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs?

Old
01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Few simple rules to explain this.

1) No one cheers for TOR/VAN
2) Everyone cheers for WPG
3) Everyone except TOR fans cheer for OTT
4) Everyone except TOR fans cheer for MTL
5) Everyone except EDM/CGY + VAN fans cheers for CGY/EDM
I don't.

I'm so glad they got a team again, now I can go back to disliking them.

Last edited by Puritania: 01-03-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

vCash: 500
Keep the thread on track please. Trolling and flaming isn't necessary.

01-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Lacaar

I hate other Canadian teams because it's fun to hate them.
It's fun to heckle your friends and families teams and being from Canada most of my friends and family cheer for a Canadian team.

I've never enjoyed the playoffs more when my team isn't in it like when Vancouver went to the cup final. I had fun cheering against them every series.

For some reason I can't pick a second favorite team and cheer for them but I can sure pick some teams to cheeer against and have fun doing it.

It's just really easy to find Motivation.
Toronto - Center of the universe! booo
Montreal - Those darn French! boo
Vancouver! - They play like a bunch of panzies! boo

Booing is fun too btw.

In the end it's just a game. Me cheering for or against a team shouldn't be taken personally. Cheer for or against the team that makes it fun i say.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:17 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I don't.

I'm so glad they got a team again, now I can go back to disliking them.
I don't cheer for Winnipeg either.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:30 PM
black charger

Leafs fan here.Once the leafs are eliminate I usually cheer for the team that I think is the best.If they go out,I cheer Canadian,unless of course it's Montreal.
When I was in Montreal last spring I got to joking about the Canadiens with some relatives and they didn't take it lightly.I thought I was going to get beat up for pretending to rip a Canadiens flag.
They even forced me to take a picture wearing a Canadiens jersey before they would let me leave.

My dislike for the Canadiens is more of a joke than anything,but,these guys were serious.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:08 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
I cheer for any Canadian team not named Canucks or Oilers. Would be hard pressed but I can even imagine cheering for the leafs..

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
I hate other Canadian teams because it's fun to hate them.
It's fun to heckle your friends and families teams and being from Canada most of my friends and family cheer for a Canadian team.

I've never enjoyed the playoffs more when my team isn't in it like when Vancouver went to the cup final. I had fun cheering against them every series.

For some reason I can't pick a second favorite team and cheer for them but I can sure pick some teams to cheeer against and have fun doing it.

It's just really easy to find Motivation.
Toronto - Center of the universe! booo
Montreal - Those darn French! boo
Vancouver! - They play like a bunch of panzies! boo

Booing is fun too btw.

In the end it's just a game. Me cheering for or against a team shouldn't be taken personally. Cheer for or against the team that makes it fun i say.
Truer words have never been written.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Truer words have never been written.
Sure you get used to it & begin to like it more & more after years of only booing.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 50
To me it doesn't matter if the team is Canadian or not, I'll pull for the team that deserves to win.

In fact, when the Canucks were in the Finals I was initially pulling for them. But their style of play got to be so embarrassing to watch that I quickly started cheering for the Bruins.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Gungagalunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer View Post
Just dont get why Canadian fans don't like supporting the other teams in the country, while it seems they would rather cheer against them.

We saw this with Vancouver a few years ago. I suspect it would be the same with the Leafs if/when they make it, which is sad since Americans seem to not have any issues with the Leafs.

So whats the deal? Is the rivalry between Canadian teams too intense from all the divisional matches?
Actually, having been a Jets season ticket holder back in the 80's and 90's, I hated Vancouver just because they were in the Smythe. Having maggots like Momesso and Sandlak in their lineup didn't help either. However, after seeing what's transpired in recent years in downtown Vancouver after playoffs, it makes it very difficult for anyone to cheer for Vancouver and their riots.

Gungagalunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:14 PM
billybobjoe1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Another one of those internet myths that you guys like to perpetuate. Public opinion polls done last spring showed that 4% of Canadians hated Vancouver. So much for your "everyone".

The most hated team was Toronto (19%).
I live in B.C. and during the cup run three quarters of the province were cheering for the Canucks and everybody else hated them. There was no in-between.

billybobjoe1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:17 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

Being from calgary I would cheer for all the teams except Van and EDM.

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:19 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

The answer is simple : there are big rivalries between many of the canadian teams in each respective conference. Would Pens fans rally around Philadelphia or vice versa in the finals vs a canadian team? I don't think so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF007
Similarly being from MTL I'd cheer for all teams except TML and OTT. I have some empathy for western conference canadian teams but the eastern conference ones? screw them!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Choralone

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
You did read where I said "that's my point of view anyway" right? Meaning that the entire impetus of my post was that I cheer for teams and cities I deem deserving of a Cup. So in that context, I can decide how and whom I want to cheer for no? You don't get to tell me I'm wrong. It's my opinion and my own set of standards that dictates who I cheer for, nothing else. My standards for a team deserving a Cup are completley my own. And that was clear in my post.

And I'm not sure the second part is even that much of a stretch really, never mind hyperbole...
Since you gave no specifics of what you think constitutes a "deserving" city, and just used this thread topic to dump on an entire fanbase, your post is pretty dumb. That's my opinion. And since you think that LA only celebrated for 10 minutes - literally, with no hyperbole - you are objectively wrong.

Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:23 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF007 View Post
Yeah exactly. Being from Edmonton I would cheer for any Canadian team aside from Vancouver and Calgary.

Ehhh I guess Toronto too. Not that I hate them or anything I'm just not a big fan of any of their players, they have a very boring roster IMO.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Very strange, but I lived in BC when Calgary and Edmonton had their most recent runs and the majority of the people were for them winning in BC... Then I spent time in Alberta when the Canucks made their run and EVERYONE hated them...

The average fan in BC seemed to want the Flames and Oilers to win it all, the average Alberta fan would rather see a 1000 kittens die than the Canucks win the cup...

I really never understood it...
Speaking as an Albertan there was definitely no shortage of casuals jumping on the Canucks bandwagon (which most Canadians are - they aren't like us who talk about hockey online). I would guess about 95% of people on my facebook were cheering for the Canucks in 2011, not to mention the year before that vs. the Blackhawks. But that's strictly Edmonton + northern Alberta, I can't speak for southern Alberta.

I of course was cheering against them and hordes of people were like "Why don't you move the states then, why don't you want the cup to come back to Canada?". So yeah many Albertans wanted them to win. But I'll also add the antics in the first two games turned some people off and they ended up cheering for Boston.

What about in '94? That Canucks team seemed pretty likable - didn't Canada get behind them? Of course it was only a year removed from a Canadian team winning the Cup, not twenty.

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer View Post
Just dont get why Canadian fans don't like supporting the other teams in the country, while it seems they would rather cheer against them.

We saw this with Vancouver a few years ago. I suspect it would be the same with the Leafs if/when they make it, which is sad since Americans seem to not have any issues with the Leafs.

So whats the deal? Is the rivalry between Canadian teams too intense from all the divisional matches?
Unless Montreal is the other team I will actively cheer against them.
I do NOT want Toronto to win, EVER! Yes they should win one to end their drought but not on my watch!

Ottawa/Montreal or NOTHING.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I like when Canuck fans say Albertans are "jealous" and don't actually hate the players on the team.

Well guess what, most of us didn't mind the Canucks going to the finals in '94. I was cheering them on and most people I knew were as well and these were huge Oiler fans.

So ya... We didn't want them to win in the last few years because of the current ratty players.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Yeah exactly. Being from Edmonton I would cheer for any Canadian team aside from Vancouver and Calgary.

Ehhh I guess Toronto too. Not that I hate them or anything I'm just not a big fan of any of their players, they have a very boring roster IMO.
That's your opinion and I fully respect that.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:31 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
The fact that players as classy as the Sedins are characterized as "diving pukes" and the team as a whole as "dirty hitters" (as if the team they were up against in the SCF was a clean bunch) is enough proof that when it down to sports, people have selective memories and will choose to love or hate players and teams depending on their own biases and what's shown on the media.

And had the Canucks actually won Game 7, a lot of people here would have a completely different opinion of them. Winners are respected because they did whatever it took to win and losers are outcasts because no matter what they did they couldn't overcome their own wickedness.
Well the whole finger biting incident definitely didn't help the Canucks gain any fans. Keep in mind this is from a guy who has pulled hair before, and publicly stated that he was happy that Avery suck punched Smid (who suffered a concussion). Then you have Kesler who was diving all over the ice. The Sedins (who I thought played fine in the playoffs) but they let themselves get pushed around too much. Marchand treating Daniel like a punching bag, Thomas crushing Henrik infront of the net... etc etc.

Boston is by no means a super clean team but Vancouver did it all to the MAX.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:45 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeyMonster View Post
It's simple really, Edmonton and Calgary were teams of classy players that people could look up to. Vancouver was filled with diving pukes and dirty hitters, and crybaby biters who called out refs for having imaginary vendettas against them. Seems pretty obvious, no?
I don't do well at interpreting emoticons, so if this was meant sarcastically then good job!

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:23 AM
Kadri43

I will cheer for any Canadian team except Vancouver. I used to like them until they went to the finals and really found out what kind of team they had. I cannot stand the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, and Lapierre. They all dive, and dive alot. That team is also really dirty. Least favourite team in the league easily.
As I posted on the leafs board which I got a lot of hate from, I have grown a fondness for the Sens. I cheered for them last year because of the heart and never say die attitude. They were not even supposed to make the playoffs with many people predicting last place in the east. They brought the rags to 7 games and fought right to the bitter end. They are a team deserving of praise. I will find myself cheering for them this upcoming year.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:34 AM
sharks9

I'll cheer for Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and Winnipeg.

Ottawa is borderline, depends who they're facing in the west.

And I hope Toronto never makes the playoffs again, let alone wins the Cup. I'm a Habs fan in the GTA and I couldn't handle the crap I'd get from my friends if they won.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
I think it depends on the team. The only Canadian team I cheer against is Toronto (Habs fan), it's just too much of a rivalry to cheer for them. I cheer for every other Canadian team in the playoffs, the Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver cup runs come to mind.

The other thing is a lot of Canadian fans are borderline Don Cherry xenophobes about hockey, people got behind Boston for being good ol' tough Canadian boys (despite their best players that year being an American and a Slovak), and were against the Canucks because of the Sedins.
So it was all Thomas & Chara? What about Bergeron, Seguin, Horton, Lucic, Marchand, Ryder... they all played pretty significant roles during that playoff run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Generally canadian fans do rally around the last canadian team standing. Vancouver was the exception because their team was so unlikeable and filled with douches. When Edmonton and Calgary made it, especially Calgary, it was bandwagon galore.
A lot of leaf & habs fans were cheering for Vancouver, leaf fans because of Seguin/the Kessel trade and habs fans because of the rivalry.

Last edited by Neely2005: 01-04-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
I'll cheer for Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and Winnipeg.

Ottawa is borderline, depends who they're facing in the west.

And I hope Toronto never makes the playoffs again, let alone wins the Cup. I'm a Habs fan in the GTA and I couldn't handle the crap I'd get from my friends if they won.
If Toronto wins the cup, life as we know it is over in Canada.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote