HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau

Old
01-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Machinehead
Because Rongos

vCash: 50
We just beat Canada and people are still talking about US forwards feasting on terrible competition.

Not sure how much higher we can go before we're the NHL here

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Deen

vCash: 1172472
Disagree with everyone who said he is only worth a 2nd. This kid would go top 3 in 2013 easily. He's the Rey Mysterio of the league in my opinion.

Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:41 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
Disagree with everyone who said he is only worth a 2nd. This kid would go top 3 in 2013 easily. He's the Rey Mysterio of the league in my opinion.
What?

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
He didn't go top 3 in 2012, and the top 3 in 2012 would be lucky to sniff the top 6 in this draft.

NO

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Rolen
setoguchi sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Kinda like how he said Jankowski will be the best player taken in this past draft, eh?
I don't see the correlation, and he didn't say that.

If it's true that Feaster is asking for the moon for Gaudreau, I'd say that's good. We don't need to trade a huge potential player for scraps because he is a 'longshot' such as Savard and St. Louis again, because those scraps do us no good. Gaudreau's potential is worth more to the flames then any present pieces teams could offer up. Unless it was a lateral deal that made sense I do not see why the flames would trade Gaudreau.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:55 PM
NEWFowler
hi

This kid is an absolute treat to watch. His hands and his ability to create chances in traffic are really rare. I used to shake my head when I seen Flames fans gloating about him on HF, but now I really do see why. I'm a believer.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:57 PM
PhilaFlyers

Top 3? No
First round? Yes

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
How about no, I think JG is a great young player and person and it would be a great story to see him succeed with the Flames. It would take a massive over payment.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:18 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
How about no, I think JG is a great young player and person and it would be a great story to see him succeed with the Flames. It would take a massive over payment.
What about Boone Jenner for Johnny Gaudreau?

Colombus fans qualifies Jenner as an untouchable and it would take an overpayment to trade him.

So we trade 2 blue chip prospects for each other.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:24 PM
domon

Would it be unreasonable to assume that he could still be growing?

domon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:52 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post

Colombus fans qualifies Jenner as an untouchable and it would take an overpayment to trade him.

The kid has a lot of talent, but I do not see Columbus doing this trade because Jenner is a lot more of a sure full time NHLer than Gaudreau.

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:53 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Sorry, but this is far from true. I think late first round would be more of a true statement.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:

I'd love to have Jenner but not if it meant trade Gaudreau.

Gaudreau is about as untouchable to the Flames as Baertschi. Unless you offer something that is too good to pass up, he will remain a Flames prospect.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
I'd love Jenner, but the Flames have more of a need for a Gaudreau than a Jenner type of player. We lack high end skill prospects and we are in no position to be trading what little we do have unless we get something comparable coming back.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Aceonfire
Connor McOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
I'd love to have Jenner but not if it meant trade Gaudreau.

Gaudreau is about as untouchable to the Flames as Baertschi. Unless you offer something that is too good to pass up, he will remain a Flames prospect.
This^^

A 5'9 LW is untouchable?

Jenner is a 2 way center that destroys people.

If Boone Jenner was offered for JG....

Feaster would take it and run.

This guy is going to have a massive homer fanbase now.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:16 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by club57 View Post
145 Lbs in the NHL is a serious problem! I don't care what type of talent you are. That is weight for all you Flames fans, I don't care what the program says. FACT
At the start of his year at BC he weighed in at 153, 5'8".

If you're interested in "facts".

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
"Stares into crystal ball"

I see a large man by the name of Clutterbuck crushing him into the boards, but due to his small size his head was the main contact point. He ends up with a major concussion that sidelines him for the rest of the year.

Doesn't take a psychic to see that coming...
Did your crystal ball forget to tell you that small shifty players are much harder to crush than normal sized ones?

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:22 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
2nd round pick or something around that. No team would offer a 1st because he's still far from a sure thing.
Neither are 1st round picks.

Look at this from the Flames perspective, would they ever trade one of the top WJC and NCAA scorers for a second round pick? Give your heads a shake people. Anyone who actually watched the game from tonight should be able to see why he's regarded as a top NHL prospect at this point in his career.

Flames got burned on St. Louis. They will not make the same mistake with Gaudreau and trade him for scraps.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:26 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Why does he especially worth more to the flame?

Does he fit a special need in the flame organization right now, more than he would with any other team in the league?

For example, would he worth a bit more to NJ, since he is born around there?
There is no added value to trade for a local guy, really.

And he's worth more to Calgary because he has great potential but serious flaws. No need to trade him because you wouldn't get enough value to have it make sense to move him. This is not really a bad thing, but he's a guy you hold on to to see if he develops and can handle the AHL.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Aceonfire
Connor McOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Did your crystal ball forget to tell you that small shifty players are much harder to crush than normal sized ones?
Where is that stat? I would imagine crushing Chara would be much more difficult than Nathan Gerbe.

Gerbe has yet to play a full season and probably won't. Yes smaller players can be "shifty", but so can guys like Sutton, Brown, Clutterbuck etc..

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:30 PM
tfong

Quote:
This^^

A 5'9 LW is untouchable?

Jenner is a 2 way center that destroys people.

If Boone Jenner was offered for JG....

Feaster would take it and run.

This guy is going to have a massive homer fanbase now.
Different skillsets, Flames don't need a Jenner type as much as they a Gaudreau home run. Jenner as great attributes and qualities to be power forward and the floor of being a 3rd line checker. But Gaudreau has the possibility of being a high end scoring forward, something Flames need more.

Granted I haven't seen Jenner much outside of WJC, but his statline doesn't scream scoring forward to me. In fact what I've seen from the WJC leads me to believe he may have issues scoring in the NHL and might be seen more as a bottom six guy than a top six. To me, the flames have a similiar player in Max Reinhart already, maybe with less power.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:35 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Could he be the next Theoren Fleury ?
Doesn't play anything like Fleury. He'd be a lot more along the lines of the aforementioned guys like MSL or Briere in terms of style.

As to his size, BC's site has him listed at 5'8, 153. That seems fairly reasonable, and they're probably going to have the most accurate measurements. Still very light, and a tad on the short side (he's honestly probably more like 5'7, from what I've seen). Add 15 lbs of muscle and you've got something for sure, though.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Where is that stat? I would imagine crushing Chara would be much more difficult than Nathan Gerbe.

Gerbe has yet to play a full season and probably won't. Yes smaller players can be "shifty", but so can guys like Sutton, Brown, Clutterbuck etc..
Sutton is shifty? You must have the best dealer around.

Smaller targets are generally harder to hit than big ones. Smaller players are also generally shiftier since their center of balance is lower and they need to overcome much less inertia to move around and change direction. Not exactly rocket science.

Chara gets put on his ass every other game. He's impossible to miss if you're gunning for him and all you need is a little speed to knock him off balance.

Desharnais, St. Louis, Briere, Perreault never get crushed, usually other teams have to resort to holding and stick infractions to slow them down.

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:38 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
At the start of his year at BC he weighed in at 153, 5'8".

If you're interested in "facts".
When my team did my height and weight thing it listed me as 6'2", and I was only 5'11" 205. General rule of thumb is teams usually add 2 inches to your height and a couple of pounds.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:40 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Sutton is shifty? You must have the best dealer around.

Smaller targets are generally harder to hit than big ones. Smaller players are also generally shiftier since their center of balance is lower and they need to overcome much less inertia to move around and change direction. Not exactly rocket science.

Chara gets put on his ass every other game. He's impossible to miss if you're gunning for him and all you need is a little speed to knock him off balance.

Desharnais, St. Louis, Briere, Perreault never get crushed, usually other teams have to resort to holding and stick infractions to slow them down.
Did you not hear about Briere getting a concussion last season? One doesn't get those from harsh language.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote