HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Everything Canada (goaltending, coaching, future)

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 83 55.70%
No 41 27.52%
Maybe/Depends on the situation 25 16.78%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Wings13

vCash: 500
Canadian National Junior Coach?

It has become very clear that Canadian coaching at the WJHC's hasn't been up to par over the last few years. By no means is this an excuse or sole explanation for the last 4-5 years worth of poor performances, but it is undeniable that it has been a contributing factor.

I don't buy into the theories that coaches like Dave Cameron from a few years ago or that Steve Spott are bad coaches, they wouldn't be employed if they were. But just like players and chemistry on the ice, it's tough for a head coach to just parachute into a staff and team he is not familiar with on a day-to-day basis.

The way our top level Junior program has changed significantly in recent memory (last 10 years even), but the off-ice component has remained stagnant. We now have an almost year-round national junior program between the summer series against Russia, summer camps, the Super Series, and then a month long World Junior Hockey tournament from selection camp to Gold Medal game. Why is it then that the coach who is supposed to make these players "come together" with the players for just over a month? The players know more about each other than the coaches do.

If I could make one suggestion to Hockey Canada on how to "cure' our slump at the WJHC it would be to hire a full-time National Junior Coach on a 2 year cycle. We've developed our program to be a year long it's time the head coach is a part of that (assistants can remain as CHL coaches). Our coach needs to be more familiar with the players than they are with each other for us to be successful - that is the mark of a great coach; not the other way around.

Having a coach make a two year commitment to the team would also allow for more consistency year-to-year (and perhaps encourage the selection of more talented 17 year olds ala Drouin over less talented older players). Two year commitment also doesn't limit the career of any coach who may have ambitions of returning to the CHL or advancing to the AHL, NHL, etc. Look at what kick-started our last 5 year run of gold medals; Brent Sutter for 2 years. Following that I believe that one of the assistants became the HC the following year.

Thoughts?

Wings13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
The answer is Pat Quinn.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

I agree. I didn't mind Cameron but was never sold on Spott.

The answer is Brent Sutter. Excellent track record with junior, especially in the WJ and Russian summit series in 2007. (our junior program had higher quality players at the time mind you but still).

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:36 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Brent Sutter. Canada's gotta get back to farmboy hockey.

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:44 PM
FF de Mars

Team Canada should hire Patrick Roy. He said on TV he might be interested in the near future.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:45 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Team Canada should hire Patrick Roy. He said on TV he might be interested in the near future.
Where does he coach now?

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:47 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Brent Sutter. Canada's gotta get back to farmboy hockey.
And from the WHL. The type of hockey that is effective at these tournament. His teams always play rough

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
Where does he coach now?
Quebec City. He is also the Owner and GM.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:53 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
he'll encourage his players to get suspended.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:07 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
it would reduce the attention on the kids, because he'd suck up all the limelight himself.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Jerkini

I think it's a great idea. I was actually going to suggest it this morning but didn't want it lost in the shuffle of a few dozen angry Canadians complaining about the embarrassing loss.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:16 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
The answer is Pat Quinn.
No thanks. He's out of touch at this point. This is the guy who was playing JF Jacques on the Oilers first line and Ryan Stone in the top 6 as well.

SephF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
I would definitely like to see this.

I'd go further and get a full year round coaching, training, scouting and all that staff. And fire Pendergast. Look what he did to Edmonton, he's a **** scout.

HC needs to go through an overhaul. Times are changing, time to change with them.

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Everest

Its a great idea.

In fact...enough has transpired the last few years for Hockey Canada to feel compelled to seriously look at some tweaks and this idea would be an obvious direction.

Back in the day...the Mens National Program had a full time coach. And while... as with any hiring...your never garunteed to have "the right guy" in place...the Mens Program often had some great coaches helping out that squad. Guys like Dave King, Tom Renney et al.

The JR program could easily do something like this. Especially when you look at the giant heaps of $$$ Hockey Canada throws at this "crown jewel"...it seems silly NOT to have a full time Coach.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:33 PM
timekeep

This is not a part time position anymore, needs to be a full time coach dedicated to the position with the responsibility to go along with it. Spott still has his job to go back to, he is losing any money because of this performance. A full time HC should have bonuses related to success as well.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:19 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
Canada loses 1 game to a very good team and people are up in arms. This is the same US team Canada beat less than a week ago. This is hockey. There are competitive teams from a number of countries and in single game, any of them can win on any given night.

All this talk about how Canada can only play one way is a joke. Canada has the skill and speed to compete with any nation in any tournament. People need to realize that other countries have caught up and even the weaker nations can have a strong tournament with some lucky bounces and good goaltending.

As far as the CHL allowing imports, it's good for everyone. These guys are taking the place of a 4th line player and while it may suck if you're that fringe player, it's better for all countries and therefore better for hockey. I personally enjoy having players like Yakupov play in the CHL. The 2 imports is not hurting Canada's chances at WJC gold.

Just relax. Canada's doing just fine, and while there is always room for improvement, lets not go overboard.

This argument is ridiculous. It wasn't "just one game". From the red/white intersquad games, university all star games and pre tournament all star games clear through the entire tournament outside of the Russia game Canada looked very shaky and flat.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Since1989
Bring Back Sjostrom

No Tim Hortons in Ufa was obviously the problem.

Since1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Deezzy22

Pressure on Canada's WJC team?

Has anyone ever thought that the immense pressure to win gold we place on these 17-19 year old kids may have an adverse effect on their performance. I 'd be hard pressed to find another tourney other then the Olympics that we place so much pressure on the players to win. What other hockey country other then Russia is a Gold medal expected at every event we are in?

Deezzy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Sticks and Pucks

I agree. The World Juniors wasn't a big deal in the past until Canada strung off that impressive five in a row streak. It seemed that every year the pressure got bigger, there was more marketing and players were participating in more and more advertisements as well. I think it finally began to snap when the streak was snapped a few years back and now the pressure is getting bigger as Canada is expected to redeem themselves from previous years' losses. I think the players would be a bit more loose if they were not scrutinized by the fans and media 24/7. It is the same reason why I think a Canadian team has not won the Stanley Cup for 20 years - too much media pressure for the players.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:44 PM
12345*

I would agree if the tourney was in Canada. But this is Ufa. Yeah, there is some media. But once you hit the ice, I can't see there being much pressure. The Leafs, now thats pressure.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Qrispy

Canada demands excellence in hockey. Players need to get used to the pressure. That's just how it is and always will be. I don't accept that as an excuse for the team's poor performance these past few years.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
I would agree if the tourney was in Canada. But this is Ufa. Yeah, there is some media. But once you hit the ice, I can't see there being much pressure. The Leafs, now thats pressure.
That's assuming the players don't go online and read all the news articles being written about them. The media coverage is crazy and the power of social media grows by the year as well.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Deezzy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Canada demands excellence in hockey. Players need to get used to the pressure. That's just how it is and always will be. I don't accept that as an excuse for the team's poor performance these past few years.
Don't get me wrong this isn't an excuse and i agree with you this pressure will make them better pros but with all the hype,pressure and expectations you would think they re fighting a war for our freedom or something.

Deezzy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:15 PM
WarriorofTime

I feel bad for whichever kid is selected to be the Canadian Goaltender at the World Juniors each year. The tournament is such a big event in Canada and they are expected to win every single year. Anything other than Gold is a huge disappointment and becomes cause for a national panic. The goaltender is almost always assured to get blamed if things don't go right.

I can't think of any worse situation to be in as a 19 year old kid. That's a ton of pressure to live up to at that age. There's nothing really similar in the world of sports. Being the QB at a big time college football program but even then it's not National Championship or bust. You expect professionals to deal with that kind of pressure well but it's tough when you're 19.

If I'm a Canadian kid watching the World Juniors I want to be a forward like guys like Crosby and Toews or maybe a shutdown defender like Weber or Doughty. But a goalie? No way. I'm not surprised Canada struggles with goaltending. Too much pressure/too high of expectations from a Hockey-mad nation.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Oyabun

What has the Canadian media had to say about the loss to the US ?

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote