HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 07:29 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
I'd actually like Gomez on the LW as a Whitney replacement (if we can get him for a million bucks). He's still a good playmaker and I think he'd be a good fit on the Czech line. I also don't doubt he'd fit well into a structured system. Afterall, he was at his best as a New Jersey Devil, and they were known for trapping.

Sullivan, on the other hand, I think would be good with Korpikoski and a newly acquired center. I think Sullivan is more of a trigger man than Ray, and less of a playmaker. Might not make him the best candidate for fitting in on that line.

Just waive Nick Johnson and Bissonnette, and you've got a fit:

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Gomez-Hanzal-Vrbata
Sullivan-XXXX-Korpikoski
Torres-Gordon-Moss
Chipchura

Old
01-03-2013, 07:29 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
The Coyotes are currently at 48 contracts. i don't think they'll take on a contract without giving one up. IMO, Gomez would not be an improvement on (unsigned) Langkow.
Limit is 50. We could also just choose to buy out 2 farm team players.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:35 PM
hbk

Would Horcoff from Edmonton be a possibility? He strikes me as a Tippett type player. He could allow the coaching staff some flexibility on how to use Hanzel.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Would Horcoff from Edmonton be a possibility? He strikes me as a Tippett type player. He could allow the coaching staff some flexibility on how to use Hanzel.
Haha. I was JUST going to edit my post and suggest him for that XXXX spot on my third line. I'm not sure Edmonton would bother with the buy-out, though. The rumors are each team will get two, and have two seasons to use them. In that case, they might. If they do, I think he'd be a GREAT fit, so long as we get him cheap.

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Gomez-Hanzal-Vrbata
Sullivan-Horcoff-Korpikoski
Torres-Gordon-Moss
Chipchura

Old
01-03-2013, 07:50 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Haha. I was JUST going to edit my post and suggest him for that XXXX spot on my third line. I'm not sure Edmonton would bother with the buy-out, though. The rumors are each team will get two, and have two seasons to use them. In that case, they might. If they do, I think he'd be a GREAT fit, so long as we get him cheap.

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Gomez-Hanzal-Vrbata
Sullivan-Horcoff-Korpikoski
Torres-Gordon-Moss
Chipchura
I think we are onto something. I like both options. Horcoff seems like a better fit to me though. I would hold off on 1 of our buyouts in the event that Sullivan doesn't turn out to be a fit.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Rutkowski

I really really don't want Gomez anywhere near the Coyotes organization. He is a bigger offensive black hole than Gordon these days and his defensive play is mediocre at best. I'd rather bring up Miele next season and give him a proper shot because he'll be what, 26 by then and if he isn't ready for the NHL by then he never will be.

And I write that as a total Miele fanboy.

But seriously, no Gomez. That dude isn't worth a contract slot.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:19 PM
DesertDawg

Buy out contracts to sign Gomez? If I'm not mistaken, the amnesty buy outs would be for next season and before free agency. I would expect better options and I guess my comment about contracts wouldn't be an issue.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:31 PM
hbk

Quote:
Buy out contracts to sign Gomez? If I'm not mistaken, the amnesty buy outs would be for next season and before free agency. I would expect better options and I guess my comment about contracts wouldn't be an issue.
Teams would have to get below the cap by the time a NHL season started (within 7 days). It will be chaotic for those teams like the Rangers who will need to make moves.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
I really really don't want Gomez anywhere near the Coyotes organization. He is a bigger offensive black hole than Gordon these days and his defensive play is mediocre at best. I'd rather bring up Miele next season and give him a proper shot because he'll be what, 26 by then and if he isn't ready for the NHL by then he never will be.

And I write that as a total Miele fanboy.

But seriously, no Gomez. That dude isn't worth a contract slot.
He can still skate, his zone entries are still excellent, and he still has great vision. He's a shell of his former self, but his former self was good enough that that the shell is still decent. Montreal was just about the worst team in the NHL last season. I expect he'd have better numbers on a better team. Especially given injury problems last year. He's only one season removed from 30 assists. He also had 17ppp that year which would've been good for 2nd on our team last season.

Last edited by rt: 01-03-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old
01-03-2013, 10:48 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Teams would have to get below the cap by the time a NHL season started (within 7 days). It will be chaotic for those teams like the Rangers who will need to make moves.
From my understanding, it won't happen this season, but before next. Rangers are not one of those teams. Minnesota is. Toronto has about 1/3 of it's NHL roster going to be UFAs. A few teams will have a hard time re-signing their free agents (both RFAs & UFAs) and may need to make roster moves prior to free agency. Some will have to be creative and make minor trades to reduce their cap. I really don't see many Amnesty buy outs. Really, I don't see Chaos except for Minnesota. Vancouver will most likely trade Luongo. Another question is can Calgary re-sign Iginla (and the reason why I made that earlier post).Philadelphia will lose Pronger's hit and it shouldn't be an issue but they will have difficulty re-signing 38 yo Timonen. SJ may lose Clowe...
The Coyotes may be able to take advantage of teams that are trying to reduce payroll. The teams that tend to be the top draw for UFAs may not be in play as much as in the past, the next off-season will likely be a buyers market. About 1/2 of the teams are currently over $60 mil, all the teams will have UFAs coming off the books.
I wouldn't say chaotic, but it will be interesting. Jamison will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact, and I'm hoping he tries.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:07 AM
hbk

Quote:
From my understanding, it won't happen this season, but before next. Rangers are not one of those teams. Minnesota is. Toronto has about 1/3 of it's NHL roster going to be UFAs. A few teams will have a hard time re-signing their free agents (both RFAs & UFAs) and may need to make roster moves prior to free agency. Some will have to be creative and make minor trades to reduce their cap. I really don't see many Amnesty buy outs. Really, I don't see Chaos except for Minnesota. Vancouver will most likely trade Luongo. Another question is can Calgary re-sign Iginla (and the reason why I made that earlier post).Philadelphia will lose Pronger's hit and it shouldn't be an issue but they will have difficulty re-signing 38 yo Timonen. SJ may lose Clowe...
The Coyotes may be able to take advantage of teams that are trying to reduce payroll. The teams that tend to be the top draw for UFAs may not be in play as much as in the past, the next off-season will likely be a buyers market. About 1/2 of the teams are currently over $60 mil, all the teams will have UFAs coming off the books.
I wouldn't say chaotic, but it will be interesting. Jamison will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact, and I'm hoping he tries.
I believe that teams will no longer be allowed to hide players like Wade Redden in the minors. That would take place immediately for this season I believe so either some buyouts have to happen this year or teams like Rangers go into full panic mode to get contracts off the book. Under the latter scenario we become the prettiest girl in school and may be able to pick some teams off for extra picks and/or prospects.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:52 AM
hbk

Don't rule out Briere. Philli may be desperate as well. It all depends on what they do with Bryz. If they buy him out its ok. If not Briere may have to be moved. Phoenix may have a Michalek type attraction to playing in Phoenix.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:32 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
I believe that teams will no longer be allowed to hide players like Wade Redden in the minors. That would take place immediately for this season I believe so either some buyouts have to happen this year or teams like Rangers go into full panic mode to get contracts off the book. Under the latter scenario we become the prettiest girl in school and may be able to pick some teams off for extra picks and/or prospects.
The Rangers are currently at ~ $59 mil, with Redden they will still be below $70 mil for this season. It may make them to rethink about playing him since he will be a cap hit anyways, but they do not have to address the issue of salary cap compliance. Next season they can buy out his last year. The cap will not go down this season and all the teams currently are below $70 mil. I don't see any problems for this season with any teams. I don't see any team buying out anyone if the season were to start, until the amnesty buy outs happen in June (?). The cap will not go down until next year and teams will have UFAs off the books, That's when the Coyotes will be able to do something. Of course some teams will try to do something about getting in a position to comply with next season's cap drop (if there is a season) beforehand (anticipate signing UFAs), so Maloney may be able to tweak the roster, but he won't take on a bad contract (except maybe a rental) and it wouldn't be wise to help teams this season to prepare for compliance by trading with them if they are anticipating pursuit of top free agents by competing with the teams they just traded with. In anotherwords, I think it would be smart if the Coyotes only pursue rentals (players with expiring contracts) for this season. Of course if a good deal comes along then they should jump at the chance. I just don't believe a good deal will come along during this season (maybe leading up/during the draft).

Old
01-04-2013, 09:00 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Don't rule out Briere. Philli may be desperate as well. It all depends on what they do with Bryz. If they buy him out its ok. If not Briere may have to be moved. Phoenix may have a Michalek type attraction to playing in Phoenix.
With his contract going down to $3mil next season and $2mil the following (but $7mil this season) they shouldn't have a problem trading him to a team that can absorb his cap hit. I remember him feeling hurt when he was traded, but I think it was an initial reaction to his 1st trade and feeling under-appreciated. Wouldn't mind him coming back, but I would prefer more of a Tippet type player for that roster spot.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Kaibur

Quote:
The Rangers are currently at ~ $59 mil, with Redden they will still be below $70 mil for this season. It may make them to rethink about playing him since he will be a cap hit anyways, but they do not have to address the issue of salary cap compliance. Next season they can buy out his last year. The cap will not go down this season and all the teams currently are below $70 mil. I don't see any problems for this season with any teams. I don't see any team buying out anyone if the season were to start, until the amnesty buy outs happen in June (?). The cap will not go down until next year and teams will have UFAs off the books, That's when the Coyotes will be able to do something. Of course some teams will try to do something about getting in a position to comply with next season's cap drop (if there is a season) beforehand (anticipate signing UFAs), so Maloney may be able to tweak the roster, but he won't take on a bad contract (except maybe a rental) and it wouldn't be wise to help teams this season to prepare for compliance by trading with them if they are anticipating pursuit of top free agents by competing with the teams they just traded with. In anotherwords, I think it would be smart if the Coyotes only pursue rentals (players with expiring contracts) for this season. Of course if a good deal comes along then they should jump at the chance. I just don't believe a good deal will come along during this season (maybe leading up/during the draft).
If the Cap stays at $70M for this season, is the Cap floor still $54M? If so, aren't we below it by 4 or 5 million with only one roster spot really open?

Old
01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
If the Cap stays at $70M for this season, is the Cap floor still $54M? If so, aren't we below it by 4 or 5 million with only one roster spot really open?
yes absolutely.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:31 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I'm guessing if Philly buys out Briere, he'll end up in New Jersey. It's as close as he'll get to his kids in Philly, and they're probably desperate to replace Parise's scoring on the wing.

I'd LOVE to sign him here, but if there is actually anything to this whole custody drama that keeps Briere in the Philly area, than New Jersey seems like the likely fit.

EDIT: I guess MSG is only fifteen minutes further than Prudential Center from Wells Fargo arena, so I could see him sign with the Rag$, too.

Last edited by rt: 01-04-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old
01-04-2013, 10:10 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm guessing if Philly buys out Briere, he'll end up in New Jersey. It's as close as he'll get to his kids in Philly, and they're probably desperate to replace Parise's scoring on the wing.

I'd LOVE to sign him here, but if there is actually anything to this whole custody drama that keeps Briere in the Philly area, than New Jersey seems like the likely fit.

EDIT: I guess MSG is only fifteen minutes further than Prudential Center from Wells Fargo arena, so I could see him sign with the Rag$, too.
Rags will be well over a $60 M cap w. Reddens salary. Devils would only have $4 mill cap wise for this year. Isles have room.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Rags will be well over a $60 M cap w. Reddens salary.
That's why it's likely they'll buy him out next season
Quote:
Devils would only have $4 mill cap wise for this year.
I don't see it likely that the Flyers will move Briere's contract until the end of the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
I don't think the floor will be enforced this season as long as teams stay above (the equivalent of) next season's floor #.I Haven't read anything about it, but it wouldn't make any sense to force teams To $54mil when the cap ceiling gets lowered to $60 mil the following season. There would be a lot of needless trades between the 2 seasons (in regards to actual improving rosters). There are currently 6 teams under $54mil for the season.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:30 AM
hbk

Quote:
That's why it's likely they'll buy him out next season I don't see it likely that the Flyers will move Briere's contract until the end of the season.
I don't think the floor will be enforced this season as long as teams stay above (the equivalent of) next season's floor #.I Haven't read anything about it, but it wouldn't make any sense to force teams To $54mil when the cap ceiling gets lowered to $60 mil the following season. There would be a lot of needless trades between the 2 seasons (in regards to actual improving rosters). There are currently 6 teams under $54mil for the season.

Bettman is looking for the immediate cap with a min/max. If he doesn't get the $60 Million it won't mean the NHLPA will forego the requirement to have a cap floor. Defeats the purpose of the entire system in the first place so there is no way the PA would agree to that. Once there is an agreement it will force teams into making deals. There's nothing wrong with that. That was the choice of each franchise in how they built their squads. Franchises were warned about potential consequences so I honestly have zero sympathy that they placed themselves into a position where they have to make a deal to fall in line. That's life. Keep in mind the NHL was asking that all players making X number of dollars would count against the overall cap; regardless of whether or not they were in the AHL, ECHL, etc. A portion of a players salary like Bolduc who are on a one way deal would likely count and reduce our cap variance.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:48 AM
cobra427

Quote:
I agree with this post. GMDM likely only takes on rentals or a really good deal if he can get the right player. Other wise, wait and keep the assets, sign castaways next summer. I am most concerned with resigning Smith and OEL, as there will be plenty of interest in both of them.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:07 PM
DesertDawg

I was referring to this season, if there is a season. I expect a floor once the '13-'14 season starts. It's pretty much agreed to that the current cap will be ~$70mil. The $60mil won't be enforced until the '13-'14 season and after the amnesty buy outs. It will give the teams time to comply with the cap drop. I can not see them enforcing a cap floor this current season if it was to start. All teams have total contractual obligations under the $60 mil for the '13-'14, what no teams have for next season is a full roster lined up. There might be 1 or 2 teams that will not be able to fill a complete roster with minimum paid players to fill those spots, but the vast majority will be able to. The question is do the individual team want to field that type of team.

I wonder if the difference between the top players who will receive the most and the ones with the least cap hit will be the ones most targeted in free agency which would allow frugal teams like the Coyotes to get the best players that are in between. The reason why there are so many free agents is that teams can't negotiate with a player until the season starts. A team may want to re-sign a player but may not be able to until after the amnesty buy out because they can not go over the $60 mil in contractual obligations for next season. It will be an interesting off season, especially if the season is cancelled.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:20 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
I agree with this post. GMDM likely only takes on rentals or a really good deal if he can get the right player. Other wise, wait and keep the assets, sign castaways next summer. I am most concerned with resigning Smith and OEL, as there will be plenty of interest in both of them.
and Gordon, Boedker, and Korpikoski. I wouldn't worry about the 3 RFAs though, seems unlikely anyone will try to sign them this off season. I wonder how many RFAs won't be re-signed because of the cap? This is another scenario that I hadn't thought about.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:26 PM
hbk

Quote:
I was referring to this season, if there is a season. I expect a floor once the '13-'14 season starts. It's pretty much agreed to that the current cap will be ~$70mil. The $60mil won't be enforced until the '13-'14 season and after the amnesty buy outs. It will give the teams time to comply with the cap drop. I can not see them enforcing a cap floor this current season if it was to start. All teams have total contractual obligations under the $60 mil for the '13-'14, what no teams have for next season is a full roster lined up. There might be 1 or 2 teams that will not be able to fill a complete roster with minimum paid players to fill those spots, but the vast majority will be able to. The question is do the individual team want to field that type of team.

I wonder if the difference between the top players who will receive the most and the ones with the least cap hit will be the ones most targeted in free agency which would allow frugal teams like the Coyotes to get the best players that are in between. The reason why there are so many free agents is that teams can't negotiate with a player until the season starts. A team may want to re-sign a player but may not be able to until after the amnesty buy out because they can not go over the $60 mil in contractual obligations for next season. It will be an interesting off season, especially if the season is cancelled.
That is one of the main issues they are still fighting over.

Bettman wants an immediate move to $60 M this year whereas the NHLPA has softened their stance from $70 M down to $65 M. The NHL isn't moving which is why the NHLPA has their shorts in a not and are threatening decertification again.

The NHLPA is concerned that current free agents may be hooped whereas the league is more concerned with setting an immediate correction and punishing those GM's which they warned about the potential consequences of a new CBA. It's no coincidence that a NHL run team in Phoenix is sitting where they are on their salary structure. It's like they knew....

interesting note i'm currently reading the book on Gary Bettman. Actually a very good read. Under the interesting notes.... Bill Daly grew up a huge Rangers fan where his idol growing up was our General Manager Don Maloney.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:46 PM
DesertDawg

from my understanding, it's not this season they are haggling about, but next. http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-l...anuary-4-2013/
it would be too much for them to implement now. Anyways, if they play a 48 game season it will reduce each cap hit by 2/3...
I also read a rumor that the league may go up to $62 mil... they're also haggling about the length of term for contracts.

and now it looks as though the cap for next season will be $64.3 and teams will be able to negotiate with their impending free agents.

Last edited by DesertDawg: 01-06-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Closed Thread