HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLIV: The Night and the Silent Water

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 10:32 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Doubt it was him specifically as the WFP is a reputable paper that identified the source as a BOG member (Bettman is not a governor). I have no doubt this is part of the NHL's strategy and Bettman knew about but its not Bettman himself.
Maybe it was Bettman's mouthpiece, Jacobs lol

Old
01-03-2013, 10:33 PM
CerebralGenesis

Just about movement towards a deal by Thursday. so if we get a repeat of today then it's probably gone.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:36 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Why is fear setting up another vote for DoI? I will have zero respect for this guy until I die.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:36 PM
CerebralGenesis

It is embarrassing they got this far. A lost year would just be the cherry on top. Embarrassed

Old
01-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Langdon Alger*

More last-second posturing to squeeze the other side. The players came out with their "Do what we say, or we'll decertify!" Now, the owners respond with their "Do what we say, or we'll cancel the season!" It's all leading to the inevitable compromise once we get to Monday or so and neither side caves.

That being said, if we do lose the season over what's left on the table, then both sides deserve what they'll get.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Stuck in Socal

I'm fully braced for the lost year. It will be hard to stomach no doubt, but we are all powerless bystanders.

I guess you can hope tomorrow goes well, but it reeks of negativity.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:39 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Has it ever come up even once where exactly these replacement players would be coming from?

Junior players? So the entire NHL season would be like watching the World Juniors or the same experience I had when I went to a 67's game at SBP this season?

AHL players? Even than.....not feeling it.

Really just not a good idea, good in theory but wouldn't look good if things actually went that route
When you ask someone, they always say "AHL and juniors."

This, however, ignores that the vast majority of AHL players, including every single one who is remotely worth a damn, are NHLPA members and are, thus, locked out of NHL hockey.

And it also ignores that any junior player who has a legit chance of making the NHL is an aspiring PA member and isn't about to cross a picket line and have to live with the treatment by his coworkers that comes with being a scab for the entirety of his career.

The only players likely to sign on as replacements are

a) PA and non-PA guys in inferior leagues who know they'll never get an honest shot at an NHL paycheck because they aren't good enough and have no compunction about their name being mud
b) PA guys who are broke
c) PA guys who know their time as NHLers has passed
d) non-PA guys who had their jobs stolen by NHL players abroad because they were the worst player on a team in a 2nd to 5th rate league

And "D" is the only group I'd categorize as "likely."

In any event, the depth you'd need to reach to find 750 such guys, would result in an on-ice product that's not at all credible.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:42 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Interesting read. I guess Fehr and the PA will probably read that and still think the NHL is bluffing.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:45 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Why is fear setting up another vote for DoI? I will have zero respect for this guy until I die.
Empty threat

Old
01-03-2013, 10:51 PM
HavlatMach9

Imminent? Cancel the season on Thursday if a deal isn't imminent? So if a deal is imminent past the deadline, then season isn't cancelled? Is there still a hard cancellation deadline?

Old
01-03-2013, 10:53 PM
brom7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Interesting read. I guess Fehr and the PA will probably read that and still think the NHL is bluffing.
Donald Fehr is like a little boy.

You give a kid, lets call him Johnny, the new NHL game. Then, after a year or so Johnny wants the newer NHL game and you get it for him. Then, the year after that you get the game AGAIN for Johnny. Then, the year after that he asks for the game again.

There comes a time where you have too say "**** that, get a job and buy it yourself."

Donald Fehr is a child and I do believe he thinks the NHL is bluffing. He is a child and I ****ing hate him.

Sorry for the harsh language mods.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:54 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Imminent? Cancel the season on Thursday if a deal isn't imminent? So if a deal is imminent past the deadline, then season isn't cancelled? Is there still a hard cancellation deadline?
Basically we know we have a deal or not by thursday

we will not have less than 48 games.

IMO all signs point to a deal so im not too worried.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Crows*

I wonder if the nhl baited the pa with that Hrr stuff.

Two other points :

The players are easily manipulated

And secondly if they think the nhl is bluffing. Well then.... Ha ha ha.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:57 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

Kristopher Letang will be in Russia soon. He'll play in the KHL until the lockout is over.

https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS/sta...41153197563904

Players still going overseas
Nobody seems to be making a big deal about this but to me it seems like the final nail in the coffin for the season. Im sure letang didnt just decide to go to russia today without talking to the union. Even if Letang thought there was a 50/50 chance for a deal im sure he would wait it out another week.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:58 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I don't think Fehr gives a **** if the NHL is bluffing.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Nobody seems to be making a big deal about this but to me it seems like the final nail in the coffin for the season. Im sure letang didnt just decide to go to russia today without talking to the union. Even if Letang thought there was a 50/50 chance for a deal im sure he would wait it out another week.
For every letang, there 5 other guys coming back. He could be getting in games before the season to prep himself.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:59 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OduyaLaichBoyes View Post
Donald Fehr is like a little boy.

You give a kid, lets call him Johnny, the new NHL game. Then, after a year or so Johnny wants the newer NHL game and you get it for him. Then, the year after that you get the game AGAIN for Johnny. Then, the year after that he asks for the game again.

There comes a time where you have too say "**** that, get a job and buy it yourself."

Donald Fehr is a child and I do believe he thinks the NHL is bluffing. He is a child and I ****ing hate him.

Sorry for the harsh language mods.
Don Fehr is an accomplished man who doesn't flip out in the most stressful situations, let alone on an internet discussion board.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:00 PM
brom7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I don't think Fehr gives a **** if the NHL is bluffing.
Exactly, Thank you.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
For every letang, there 5 other guys coming back. He could be getting in games before the season to prep himself.

Next week is the deadline for a deal u really think hes gonna go to russia to play like 2 games then come back next week. Doesn't make any sense

Old
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
brom7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Don Fehr is an accomplished man who doesn't flip out in the most stressful situations, let alone on an internet discussion board.
Well me being irrelevant to this entire process, in my eyes, gives me some sort of right too haha. I mean, I can voice my opinion, but it wouldn't matter too these guys. They're going to get the best deal possible for their respective sides. I just don't like the guy negotiates is all.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:06 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Letang being in Russia 'soon' could mean next Friday though.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Next week is the deadline for a deal u really think hes gonna go to russia to play like 2 games then come back next week. Doesn't make any sense
Pretty much every sen came back this last couple weeks. I have to admit tho it is weird that letang is leaving now..

Old
01-03-2013, 11:07 PM
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
If we start seeing more guys going over there than coming back then we know we are in big trouble. Hopefully this Letang thing is an aberration.

Old
Langdon Alger*

Didn't a bunch of these insiders tell us there'd be loads more posturing and threats leading up to the final deal being struck?

Old
Crows*

Quote:
If he was so certain the season was going to be cancelled then there should be 50-100 more players going in the next few days.

And yes... I do think he would do that.

Closed Thread