HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/W William Nylander - Modo, SHL (2014, 8th overall, Toronto)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2013, 03:21 PM
  #76
vippe
Registered User
 
vippe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,083
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I've read that he's not going to play in the Allsvenskan as he wants to keep his NCAA options open.
If he has a junior contract with SSK that wouldnt make him a professional in the eyes of NCAA or would it?

vippe is online now  
Old
01-01-2013, 03:38 PM
  #77
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
If he has a junior contract with SSK that wouldnt make him a professional in the eyes of NCAA or would it?
Well, what does a junior contract actually entail?
It's rare but players from European countries do commit to colleges straight from their respective junior leagues and their eligibility is fine as long as they don't play in their respective top senior leagues (aka SEL and SEL-2 in Sweden, Division 1 and lower are fine).
Even if he receives some sort of stipend, I think he may be fine as the real issue the NCAA has is leagues that have players signed to senior contracts.
The SuperElit technically has a few of those, but of course everything the NCAA does is asterisked and they apply rules selectively.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 04:10 PM
  #78
Jim Morrison
Registered User
 
Jim Morrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I've read that he's not going to play in the Allsvenskan as he wants to keep his NCAA options open.
There have been rumors, yes. But the latest rumor is that his father, Michael Nylander, will sign with SSK in Allsvenskan to play with William. It looks like he will stay in Sweden afterall.
http://translate.google.se/translate...n.html&act=url

Jim Morrison is online now  
Old
01-01-2013, 04:22 PM
  #79
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,538
vCash: 500
I never understood the secrecy in all this. Maybe he just hasn't figured it out, and since he's probably not going to be a regular on the men's team it makes sense to keep all options open.

joe89 is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 05:25 PM
  #80
Urgi
Registered User
 
Urgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Norway
Posts: 478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I never understood the secrecy in all this. Maybe he just hasn't figured it out, and since he's probably not going to be a regular on the men's team it makes sense to keep all options open.
http://mrmadhawk.se/2012/december/so...r-och-son.html

Interesting

Urgi is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 07:46 PM
  #81
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
There have been rumors, yes. But the latest rumor is that his father, Michael Nylander, will sign with SSK in Allsvenskan to play with William. It looks like he will stay in Sweden afterall.
http://translate.google.se/translate...n.html&act=url
Would playing on a team with his father be his best hockey move?

Would be neat but not sure that it would be the best thing for his development.

Hardyvan123 is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 08:39 PM
  #82
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Would playing on a team with his father be his best hockey move?

Would be neat but not sure that it would be the best thing for his development.
I don't see how it would matter tbh.

bottomofthefoodchain is online now  
Old
01-02-2013, 02:56 AM
  #83
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Would playing on a team with his father be his best hockey move?

Would be neat but not sure that it would be the best thing for his development.
Playing in SEL-2 would be a step up from SuperElit, but also a bit riskier I think with injuries and such I can imagen, puck-hogs are targeted...

Question; is the NCAA competitve enough for elite talent? Will it hold him back playing for a NCAA team or would it be a great way to get used to NA hockey?

Tomas W is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 05:22 AM
  #84
Hockeyfrilla
Registered User
 
Hockeyfrilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 500
goal and assist vs Russia:


Hockeyfrilla is online now  
Old
01-02-2013, 09:13 AM
  #85
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Playing in SEL-2 would be a step up from SuperElit, but also a bit riskier I think with injuries and such I can imagen, puck-hogs are targeted...

Question; is the NCAA competitve enough for elite talent? Will it hold him back playing for a NCAA team or would it be a great way to get used to NA hockey?
Toews played NCAA for two seasons(draft year, and then another year). Yes, NCAA is very competitive for a 17 year old. Obviously you have to be an exceptional talent to play at his age, but I think he qualifies. Unless he's planning to go there post-draft, in which case I don't think it's a good alternative anymore, because he has to play SuperElit another year then where he's already too good.

joe89 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 02:32 PM
  #86
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Playing in SEL-2 would be a step up from SuperElit, but also a bit riskier I think with injuries and such I can imagen, puck-hogs are targeted...

Question; is the NCAA competitve enough for elite talent? Will it hold him back playing for a NCAA team or would it be a great way to get used to NA hockey?
Come play WHL and since he was born in Calgary he probably wouldnt count as an import, similar to David Musil.

HabLover is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:06 AM
  #87
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,538
vCash: 500
Official: Michael has signed with Södertälje(SEL2), and William will be promoted to play with the men's team aswell.

Looking forward to watch it!

edit: William's contract is for this year and next, with out clause(SEL, CHL, whatever) for 2013/14.


Last edited by joe89: 01-03-2013 at 11:21 AM.
joe89 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 11:23 AM
  #88
Swedelicious
Registered User
 
Swedelicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Under the whip of Sisyfos
Country:
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Official: Michael has signed with Södertälje(SEL2), and William will be promoted to play with the men's team aswell.

Looking forward to watch it!
Great news. I think Nylander junior will make an impact right away.

I would hate to be the third part in a Nylander-Nylander-line, by the way. Two puck hoggers, and when the passes finally comes you probably will be too stupid to understand them in their almighty geniusness.

Swedelicious is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:02 PM
  #89
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Official: Michael has signed with Södertälje(SEL2), and William will be promoted to play with the men's team aswell.

Looking forward to watch it!

edit: William's contract is for this year and next, with out clause(SEL, CHL, whatever) for 2013/14.
AWESOME!

Tomas W is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:06 PM
  #90
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Official: Michael has signed with Södertälje(SEL2), and William will be promoted to play with the men's team aswell.

Looking forward to watch it!

edit: William's contract is for this year and next, with out clause(SEL, CHL, whatever) for 2013/14.
That's pretty awesome, reminds me of the Ken Griffey's playing together. William looks ready for a better league.

bruinsfan46 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
  #91
sg58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,206
vCash: 500
Plan is for William to play for the big team as soon as he's rested after Canada trip, so that'll be exciting.

sg58 is offline  
Old
01-03-2013, 04:55 PM
  #92
tmlms13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstroms pads View Post
Most Swedes picked high have not been very touted long before the draft but rise once the draft approaches.
Tell that to Filip Forsberg

tmlms13 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 02:40 AM
  #93
1912
Exalted User
 
1912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Babylon
Country: Sweden
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlms13 View Post
Tell that to Filip Forsberg
Oh look. You found an exception. Good for you.

1912 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 06:12 AM
  #94
sg58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstroms pads View Post
Oh look. You found an exception. Good for you.
Larsson, Hedman, Pääjärvi, Landeskog..?

sg58 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 07:36 AM
  #95
fredligh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iceland
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Reminds me of Patrick Kane, all offensive tools and flashiness combined with playmaking and some goalscoring but as Kane not at all interested in defense.

fredligh is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 08:45 AM
  #96
Jim Morrison
Registered User
 
Jim Morrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredligh View Post
Reminds me of Patrick Kane, all offensive tools and flashiness combined with playmaking and some goalscoring but as Kane not at all interested in defense.
edit: oops, delete my post

Jim Morrison is online now  
Old
01-04-2013, 09:39 AM
  #97
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredligh View Post
Reminds me of Patrick Kane, all offensive tools and flashiness combined with playmaking and some goalscoring but as Kane not at all interested in defense.
He's certainly no defensive expert but he always backchecks.

bottomofthefoodchain is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 05:16 AM
  #98
sg58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,206
vCash: 500
What he did at the Canada tournament becomes more impressive in hindsight with the news of him playing on a botched shoulder. Apparently the Swedish medical team messed up and he will miss some time with that now.

Too bad, because I know we were all excited to see what he could do with SSK.

sg58 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:01 AM
  #99
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
What he did at the Canada tournament becomes more impressive in hindsight with the news of him playing on a botched shoulder. Apparently the Swedish medical team messed up and he will miss some time with that now.

Too bad, because I know we were all excited to see what he could do with SSK.
I'm pretty sure I know where he got injured. Late in the Finland game he fell awkwardly into the boards and favored his arm/shoulder. Makes sense because he was much better at the start the tournamemt. Did they *really* mess up though or just let him play through it to win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredligh View Post
Reminds me of Patrick Kane, all offensive tools and flashiness combined with playmaking and some goalscoring but as Kane not at all interested in defense.
You're on to something, he will play with #88.

joe89 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
  #100
Huffman
Registered User
 
Huffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I'm pretty sure I know where he got injured. Late in the Finland game he fell awkwardly into the boards and favored his arm/shoulder. Makes sense because he was much better at the start the tournamemt. Did they *really* mess up though or just let him play through it to win?



You're on to something, he will play with #88.
Yup, thats the injury. http://lt.se/sport/ssk/1.1937449-ska...altelius-debut

He will be out for 3 weeks.

Huffman is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.