HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the Oilers benefit from a 48 game season?

Old
01-03-2013, 05:28 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Well with a similar start to last season, they could really set themselves up to make the playoffs quite easily. They started 7-2-2 last year. If by basically the quarter way point of the shortened season we ended up around there we'd be golden.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
The Oilers had a horrendous November/December two years ago.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I do not think the two sides are as close as some people are saying
Ditto.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Soundwave

I'm gonna say it will probably help.

It's given Taylor Hall a lot longer to get his shoulder back into shape while being under the radar without much pressure in OKC.

Schultz has had a nice transition period in the AHL so moving to the NHL won't be as large of a shock.

Whitney has had more time to rest and fewer games only seems like a positive to me in his case.

I think Whitney honestly is the most important piece of the puzzle in a lot of ways. If we can get a healthy 40+ games from him in a 48 game season, that would be big for us.

The downside I think will be an extremely short training camp with a new coach (granted he has been here for a while) and a young group could lead to a slow start, versus the hot start we had last year.

Last edited by Soundwave: 01-03-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:03 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I'll be "that guy"...

The Oilers will EASILY make the playoffs. I'll say ~5th in the West. Too much talent in that top 6/9 not to at least be in strong contention all season long. Defense is still mediocre and goaltending is also a question mark but I think over a shortened 48 game schedule, the Oilers will be surprisingly good.

Everyone will think it's a fluke and just a product of luck and the shorter season and will expect a "sophomore slump" next year in a full season... but the Oilers will do even better next year. Onward and upwards from here.

Rose coloured glasses off and crystal ball put away.

Honestly though I'd be surprised if the Oilers miss the playoffs under a short 48 game schedule.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:56 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

I am amused that some talking heads are acting like it is a done deal

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Baggers

I think losing half the season helped the Oilers, but I think a season-long lockout hurts the Oilers.

Reasons?
- I see Hall and Eberle (and possibly Schult and Nuge) becoming disinterested with playing at the AHL level
- Too much of a layoff for the rest of the team (Dub, Petry)
- not enough AHL time for B level prospects
- almost no chance of a high draft pick (in a "good" draft year)
- I could be wrong, but I think it's preferable for Yak to be in North America, improving his English and playing sheltered minutes at the NHL level.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:55 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'll be "that guy"...

The Oilers will EASILY make the playoffs. I'll say ~5th in the West. Too much talent in that top 6/9 not to at least be in strong contention all season long. Defense is still mediocre and goaltending is also a question mark but I think over a shortened 48 game schedule, the Oilers will be surprisingly good.

Everyone will think it's a fluke and just a product of luck and the shorter season and will expect a "sophomore slump" next year in a full season... but the Oilers will do even better next year. Onward and upwards from here.

Rose coloured glasses off and crystal ball put away.

Honestly though I'd be surprised if the Oilers miss the playoffs under a short 48 game schedule.
Sounds like someone is up for another avatar bet!

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Agreed.

We can't really take every single producer out of the AHL, and Hartikainen is not a top-six NHL player. I get the size element, but he has no hope in the world of actually producing in that hole.

It seems pretty obvious that it will be Yakupov.
Hartikainen has been very good in OKC. He shows some real flashes of ability around the net. He's like Dustin Penner with an attitude. I do think he's going to have some solid 20 goal seasons in his career. He can't carry the offense on his own but he compliments skill very well from what i've seen. In saying that he's playing bottom 6 if i'm coach by far and away most nights at this point. I just mean to say a top 6 role isn't beyond him and he could probably do pretty decent in stretches i'm thinking.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:57 AM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
I think losing half the season helped the Oilers, but I think a season-long lockout hurts the Oilers.

Reasons?
- I see Hall and Eberle (and possibly Schult and Nuge) becoming disinterested with playing at the AHL level
- Too much of a layoff for the rest of the team (Dub, Petry)
- not enough AHL time for B level prospects
- almost no chance of a high draft pick (in a "good" draft year)
- I could be wrong, but I think it's preferable for Yak to be in North America, improving his English and playing sheltered minutes at the NHL level.
Also, off-ice issues, the arena

A season long lockout would definitely dampen chances of us getting the arena thing solved.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Well last year Horcoff and Smyth started off very quickly but couldn't sustain their production, if Horcoff isn't bought out and we see a similar first 30 games from them as well as our kids firing on all cylinders, there's no telling what we might be able to do.

01-04-2013, 02:53 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Well let's see if the grinches give us all a season 1st... then it's on like Rae Dawn Chong.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:06 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well let's see if the grinches give us all a season 1st... then it's on like Rae Dawn Chong.

you ladies would need to go far to top Richard Simmons and then the banishment of BBO to the leaf board for a fortnight

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:39 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

I feel we could do loads better this year because we may have more players actually have been playing for the last 3 months. Other teams hopefully have more rust. Oilers usually do well for the last 2-3 months of a season. Middle month or so is where they fail.

Don't think Yak is ready for the show from what I have seen (and read on these forums). Has skill but needs to be properly coached and maybe just age. Would be helpful somewhat to the Oil but will hinder his progress. AHL for half a year would do him good. Better shot at a rookie title next year as well.

Of course this is all moot as there is not going to be a season this year.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote