HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Highest Potential: RNH vs Tavares vs Landeskog vs Hall

View Poll Results: Who has the highest potential
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 83 18.99%
John Tavares 323 73.91%
Gabriel Landeskog 19 4.35%
Taylor Hall 12 2.75%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-02-2013, 11:42 PM
bsmith14

vCash: 500
Tavares/RNH
Hall
Landeskog

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 61
RNH/JT/HALL

Landy

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Falcons93

RNH
Tavares

Hall

Landeskog

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
I never said best player I said best forward

97 & 98 the 2 best forwards were Federov and Yzerman and they hovered around 60-70 points. I could also make an argument for Rob Brind A'mour in 06(30/70) and Jarome Iginla in 04(41/73)
What?

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:20 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
RNH
Tavares

Hall

Landeskog

On Earth, it's Tavares and then everybody else. Let's not grasp for straws, here.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:37 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Tavares
RNH
Hall
Landeskog

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:55 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post

On Earth, it's Tavares and then everybody else. Let's not grasp for straws, here.
Is RNH over Tavares really as outrageous as you make it out to be? Is it because of what he did in Juniors? About how he has no teammates?

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:01 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
Is RNH over Tavares really as outrageous as you make it out to be? Is it because of what he did in Juniors? About how he has no teammates?
Tavares was the most hyped prospect in hockey going back to Sidney Crosby, and he's followed up that potential with a PPG season the last time there was NHL hockey. RHN is PPG this season in the AHL.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:02 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak5holeguy View Post
RNH and it's not particularly close for me.

The next Joe Thornton offensively.
I wonder if RHN will shrink under pressure like Thornton too?

Old
01-04-2013, 02:29 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Tavares was the most hyped prospect in hockey going back to Sidney Crosby, and he's followed up that potential with a PPG season the last time there was NHL hockey. RHN is PPG this season in the AHL.
Took him 3 seasons to reach that mark... looks like he's much closer to a Spezza then a Crosby.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Danglesnipe
52-22-8

vCash: 50
Tavares
RNH
Hall
Landeskog

Danglesnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Frankie41987

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Took him 3 seasons to reach that mark... looks like he's much closer to a Spezza then a Crosby.
I think anyone who is looking at Tavares's game and making comparisons for him based on his point totals is doing him a complete and utter disservice. Watch a few games, much more so than his physical tools, its his incredible work ethic and intelligence that sets his ceiling so high. And thats not knocking RNH's intelligence at all, just to say I think its useless to use point totals in this this argument.

Frankie41987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:46 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Tavares will be as good as he wants to be... and I think he wants to be really good.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:14 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Even as an Oiler fan, i have to admit that Tavares will likely top out a level above all these guys. It goes beyond stats, just watching him play, you can see the flashes of dominance that he displays, it's truly elite level stuff. He became a lot more consistent with those flashes last season, he seems to be on the brink of becoming an elite player and very soon, he's just so good in all areas offensively, needs to work on his defensive game though.

RNH is next up IMO. RNH's vision is on par with JT's although i'm inclined to give RNH a slight nod here, his vision is truly exceptional. JT has him on goal scoring ability, he can score in so many ways while RNH depends more on his very underrated shot to score.
I think that RNH has more ability defensively than Tavares, he always knows where to be defensively, has an active stick and surprisingly gets physical to attempt to separate the opposition from the puck which he will be even more effective at once he gains stength.
The reason why i pick Tavares over RNH is that he has more ability to completely carry a line, i think he's more diverse offensively. Can't go wrong with either though.

This is where i don't understand the HF mentality.... I think that Hall is one of the most underrated players around here and there's not stronger evidence of that than all these votes of Landeskog over Hall, i don't get it.
I understand that Landeskog is well liked around here and that Hall is very much disliked for some reason but i think that's clouding the assessment of these players.
I just don't see the high end upside in Landeskog that others see. I see him more as a slightly more offensive Shane Doan than a Jarome Iginla. He's the type of player that everybody wants on their team, he's a leader who will do whatever it takes to win. I see him as good in all areas but a master of none.
Hall brings a lot of the intangibles that Landeskog brings with a higher end skillset IMO. The only question is Hall's health going forward but if all things are equal and lets say for the sake of argument that Hall stays relatively healthy, i just don't see Landeskog being the more impactful of the two.
I think that Hall's offensive advantage over Landeskog will outweigh Landeskog's defensive advantage over Hall.
It's fairly close but i feel comfortable taking Hall over Landeskog.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:22 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
Tavares with ease for me.

After that, I'd go RNH, then Landeskog, then Hall.
This. Tavares and it's so easy.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:24 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Even as an Oiler fan, i have to admit that Tavares will likely top out a level above all these guys. It goes beyond stats, just watching him play, you can see the flashes of dominance that he displays, it's truly elite level stuff. He became a lot more consistent with those flashes last season, he seems to be on the brink of becoming an elite player and very soon, he's just so good in all areas offensively, needs to work on his defensive game though.

RNH is next up IMO. RNH's vision is on par with JT's although i'm inclined to give RNH a slight nod here, his vision is truly exceptional. JT has him on goal scoring ability, he can score in so many ways while RNH depends more on his very underrated shot to score.
I think that RNH has more ability defensively than Tavares, he always knows where to be defensively, has an active stick and surprisingly gets physical to attempt to separate the opposition from the puck which he will be even more effective at once he gains stength.
The reason why i pick Tavares over RNH is that he has more ability to completely carry a line, i think he's more diverse offensively. Can't go wrong with either though.

This is where i don't understand the HF mentality.... I think that Hall is one of the most underrated players around here and there's not stronger evidence of that than all these votes of Landeskog over Hall, i don't get it.
I understand that Landeskog is well liked around here and that Hall is very much disliked for some reason but i think that's clouding the assessment of these players.
I just don't see the high end upside in Landeskog that others see. I see him more as a slightly more offensive Shane Doan than a Jarome Iginla. He's the type of player that everybody wants on their team, he's a leader who will do whatever it takes to win. I see him as good in all areas but a master of none.
Hall brings a lot of the intangibles that Landeskog brings with a higher end skillset IMO. The only question is Hall's health going forward but if all things are equal and lets say for the sake of argument that Hall stays relatively healthy, i just don't see Landeskog being the more impactful of the two.
I think that Hall's offensive advantage over Landeskog will outweigh Landeskog's defensive advantage over Hall.
It's fairly close but i feel comfortable taking Hall over Landeskog.
I don't think it's a knock on Hall. A lot of people just love Landeskog's game. I think it comes down to which type of player you'd prefer. I think a lot of the Landeskog-skeptics thought he'd probably become a 2nd line, 50+ point player in the NHL, and thought his upside wouldn't be much higher than that. IMO the fact that he was that exact player in his rookie season is what has started the hype train.

Had Hall been healthy these first two years, I think this would look a lot different.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie41987 View Post
I think anyone who is looking at Tavares's game and making comparisons for him based on his point totals is doing him a complete and utter disservice. Watch a few games, much more so than his physical tools, its his incredible work ethic and intelligence that sets his ceiling so high. And thats not knocking RNH's intelligence at all, just to say I think its useless to use point totals in this this argument.
Exactly. People who don't watch JT on a daily basis just won't get it, his game is much more than his point totals and you can just see the insane amount of potential in him. On top of that, he is extremely determined to get better and better every year and he is doing just that. The guy is going to be a beast, I think he'll eventually edge out Stamkos as the 3rd best forward in the league.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:06 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Exactly. People who don't watch JT on a daily basis just won't get it, his game is much more than his point totals and you can just see the insane amount of potential in him. On top of that, he is extremely determined to get better and better every year and he is doing just that. The guy is going to be a beast, I think he'll eventually edge out Stamkos as the 3rd best forward in the league.
I fully agree with everything you wrote here, but a ton of it applies to RNH too.

I think Tavares/RNH are close at the top, Hall is a lot lower, and Landeskog isn't anywhere near the other 3.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

Tavares and his line absolutely dominated the Flyers in a game last year. It was unreal.

It was a Crosby level of play. The puck seemed to be in the Flyers end the entire game. Scoring chance after scoring chance.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Tavares and his line absolutely dominated the Flyers in a game last year. It was unreal.

It was a Crosby level of play. The puck seemed to be in the Flyers end the entire game. Scoring chance after scoring chance.
I'm not going to call it "a Crosby level of play" but I've seen Taylor Hall dominate games plenty of times too with the same result of never ending scoring chances.

Tavares is a great player, but he hasn't lived up to the hype he got when he entered the league by any stretch of the imagination and I believe that in the long run RNH has a better chance of winning both the Art Ross and a Stanley Cup so I take the Nuge.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Jray42

vCash: 86
If I'm starting a franchise, I'd pick Tavares ahead of anyone not named Malkin, Crosby, or maybe Stamkos.

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie41987 View Post
I find it a disservice to Crosby when people are constantly putting Tavares play along side him, Crosby was so much better at the same age it's not even funny, points or no points.

And I wasn't the one to bring up points, you guys want to brag about the fact that he has a ppg season under his belt, I counter with the fact that he only has ONE ppg season/took him 3 years to it, you guys say it's not about points...ironic..

Tavares is easily the best player atm, he also has potential bounds above Hall and Landeskog, however if you guys don't think it's close between him and RNH you're kidding yourselves, he thinks the game at least on the same level as Tavares if not higher.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:08 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I wonder if RHN will shrink under pressure like Thornton too?
Clearly never seen Joe play. He's often one of the few guys giving it his all.

CanadienShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Steve Holt
Embrace the hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Tavares/RNH
Hall
Landeskog
This.

Steve Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Tavares is a great player, but he hasn't lived up to the hype he got when he entered the league by any stretch of the imagination and I believe that in the long run RNH has a better chance of winning both the Art Ross and a Stanley Cup so I take the Nuge.
How exactly has John Tavares not lived up to the expectations?

RNH hasn't exactly been performing above Tavares' standards in some kind of generational bracket. How was this guy managing only a point a game playing in the AHL with Hall, Eberle and Schultz all lighting it up?