HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Nicklas Jensen (2011, 29th overall, Vancouver)

Old
11-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 50
Elitserien: 24 games 9 goals 3 assists 12 points

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I think he's got big potential, and I think he'll be a top 6er at worst.

Great shot/loves to shoot, nice wheels, nice stride, handles the puck very nicely. His high end potential will probably depend a lot on his hockey sense.

From his brief stint on the Canucks in the preseason last year, his hockey sense seemed to be good. Though tough to say from that small a sample.

That said, he's still hit or miss for me. He could make it, or he could struggle to find a spot in the league. The real issue will be defense. If he can hold his own in this regard, he'll make it. If he struggles...?

As to top end potential - the sky's the limit. He's one of the few gamebreakers taken in the 2011 draft. Jurco being another notable. But both have big question marks in how their game will translate.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:19 AM
topchowda

Second line upside, but IMHO, 70 points is nothing to laugh at. Parise, Iginla, Sedin, Sharp, Kane, Benn didnt hit 70.

Maybe 50-60 in his prime, which is very good

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:10 PM
canucksPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
From his brief stint on the Canucks in the preseason last year, his hockey sense seemed to be good. Though tough to say from that small a sample.

That said, he's still hit or miss for me. He could make it, or he could struggle to find a spot in the league. The real issue will be defense. If he can hold his own in this regard, he'll make it. If he struggles...?

As to top end potential - the sky's the limit. He's one of the few gamebreakers taken in the 2011 draft. Jurco being another notable. But both have big question marks in how their game will translate.
From what I know of limited times watching him play..

His game transfers awesome to the NHL/pro game, he has all the tools and a defensive presence on the ice. He doesn't have Jurco's upside though, he is a prototypical second line winger who can pitch in everywhere imo.

canucksPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Why did he leave the generals to go to the SEL ? Any explanation for this ?

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:16 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley

Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Why did he leave the generals to go to the SEL ? Any explanation for this ?
Men or boys.

MrFunnyWobbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
Men or boys.
I know that the SEL has a better compete level. Just wondering why he made the switch. It is unusual to see that happen.....

Old
11-28-2012, 08:39 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

couldve played for a mem cup in oshawa this year with lessio jenner biggs and laughton

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
couldve played for a mem cup in oshawa this year with lessio jenner biggs and laughton
OHL has some strong teams this year though, London and Kitchner being two of them. Windsor is pretty good as well.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:59 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
OHL has some strong teams this year though, London and Kitchner being two of them. Windsor is pretty good as well.
Yeah always tough but Oshawa could have easily moved some picks/prospects and made a run, that is a very solid forward core. Just saying anyways, dont mean to derail.

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Windsor is not considered a good team this year... It's a transition year... Lots of rookies (young and old). They are a .500 team.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
Yeah always tough but Oshawa could have easily moved some picks/prospects and made a run, that is a very solid forward core. Just saying anyways, dont mean to derail.
Oh yea for sure, they probably will make a big run. And teams that are good on paper like Kitchener and London can always under-achieve.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:06 PM
dannyboy8920

Quote:
I know that the SEL has a better compete level. Just wondering why he made the switch. It is unusual to see that happen.....
His head is huge. He was too good to play with the Generals for another year.

(IMO minus the stats making him look good, he was a nothing special for the Generals last year)

dannyboy8920 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:02 PM
lanky

I thought I heard that the Generals were big underachievers last year, and it was due to locker room issues that might have involved Jensen. I don't want to be starting nasty rumours about the kid, because I really don't know anything about what went on, but I think that is part of the reason why he didn't have more success with them last year and why he isn't back there this year. Maybe someone can shed more light.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
I thought I heard that the Generals were big underachievers last year, and it was due to locker room issues that might have involved Jensen. I don't want to be starting nasty rumours about the kid, because I really don't know anything about what went on, but I think that is part of the reason why he didn't have more success with them last year and why he isn't back there this year. Maybe someone can shed more light.
Never heard that, but I do know Jensen is serious about hockey. After getting lit up at the WJC last year, some of his teammates went up to the podium and joked around. I think they were saying stuff like we should've lost by even more or something, I forgot, but Jensen was furious.

I have heard of Jensen wanting to be closer to home, though.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Do you remember where you might have heard this from?

Old
11-28-2012, 10:52 PM
dannyboy8920

I heard from someone inside the Gens room that he was 'not apart of the team' and basically thought his **** didn't stink. Seemed that he was 'going through the motions', without showing much interest; because he was the best thing coming out of Denmark.

dannyboy8920 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:57 PM
lanky

I think I heard it on a Sportsnet CHL broadcast. The generals were featured once this year, maybe it was during that game. Anyways, not much was said on the topic.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
I believe Jensen's game is better suited to pro, and I think he wanted to develop in an environment where he felt he could improve more productively.

I think it was a good decision for him, as he is doing well there.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I believe he said in an interview that the pro game suits him better than junior, as it's more orderly and there's more skill involved, or something like that, which is probably why he's doing better than expected. Does Johan Franzen sound like a good comparison?
I think he is a better skater than Franzen.

For some reason I always think of Loui Eriksson when I think of Jensen.

So maybe a poor mans Eriksson? Or maybe the next Eriksson, I think he has the ability and upside to be a borderline 1st liner.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:59 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstairs View Post
Great is an overstatement, we thought the same with Schroeder and Hodgson, we were wrong.
Way to count them out before they have been given a fair chance, Coho seems to be doing alright and Schroeder is doing great in the AHL, gotta have some patience.

Quote:
He doesn't have high end skill, that would make him great, he has 2nd line skill at best.
Yes he does, High end hands, high end wrist shot, definitely has high end skill.

Quote:
Grabner is a goal scorer, Jensen is a guy who is good at doing both, so obviously I did not expect Grabner to be a PPG guy, 2 different types of players.

And are you kidding me, if you have elite skills in junior then you should be putting up the points to match it, there is no excuse for not doing so.

Bartschi obviously has more skills than Jensen, put up more numbers, and yet he is still projected to be just a 2nd line NHL player, so there is no way Jensen could be more than that.

Seguin has elite skills, know how I know, because he put up numbers on a crappy Plymouth team.
Quinton Howden scored 30 Goals and was PPG in the CHL.

Does he have higher end skill than Jensen? No.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
I think he is a better skater than Franzen.

For some reason I always think of Loui Eriksson when I think of Jensen.

So maybe a poor mans Eriksson? Or maybe the next Eriksson, I think he has the ability and upside to be a borderline 1st liner.
Don't see much of Eriksson at all? I see more of a Jussi Jokinen type player...

20g 20a 2nd line winger. Solid pick at 29.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:26 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Don't see much of Eriksson at all? I see more of a Jussi Jokinen type player...

20g 20a 2nd line winger. Solid pick at 29.
Only 40 Pts? C'mon the guy has high end skill, with the size, skating ability and work ethic to go along with it.

He has higher potential than that, If he makes the NHL I would say 30g 25a.

25g 20a minimum, and as a max if he catches fire I could see 30-40+ goals and 60-70+ points, thats an abosolute ceiling though.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:07 AM
Spectrefire

Jensen's OHL record isn't at all reflective of how good of a player he is or could be. It's been pretty clear over the last year that he's meant to play with men instead of boys.

Jensen has so far excelled beyond expectations playing at the prof level. While the sample size has been small, the results are pretty amazing.

When he was called up to the Wolves, he had 4 goals in 6 games. He's one of the SEL's leading goal scorers with 12 goals in 32 games playing on one of the worst teams in the league. When he played for Denmark's National Men's team, he lead in scoring with 3 goals and 3 assists in 6 games. By comparison, the second leading scorer on the team only had 3 points in 6 games.

Give his stellar record at the pro level so far, he could potentially climb as high as a top line winger in the NHL, but I think it's safe to say that he projects as clear top six material.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Greeningfan14

I remember wanting Ottawa to take him at 21 in 2011.

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote