HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Offensive flash is a beauty but defensive presence rules.

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Sundinisagod
King Joffrey 2.0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
The only real issue I have with this is that Nichushkin is before Barkov/Lindholm, and this is coming from someone that loves Nichushkin more than most.
What is Nichushkin's contract status? I read somewhere that he signed a 3 year khl contract in 2012...that could drop him out of the first round I think.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:35 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
What is Nichushkin's contract status? I read somewhere that he signed a 3 year khl contract in 2012...that could drop him out of the first round I think.
I don't know why that would be a problem. Kulemin signed an extension in Russia before coming over.

Draft at 18, Burke always leaves them in junior 1-2 years, 1 year in AHL and then audition for the NHL. Total time 3 years.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
01-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Sundinisagod
King Joffrey 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I don't know why that would be a problem. Kulemin signed an extension in Russia before coming over.

Draft at 18, Burke always leaves them in junior 1-2 years, 1 year in AHL and then audition for the NHL. Total time 3 years.
It doesn't seem like a problem for me either, but it seems to be the reason he's outside the top 10 on most draft lists...maybe the fear is the player will get extended to a lucrative contract over there instead of coming here and fighting for a job, possibly spending time in the AHL etc...

Old
01-03-2013, 07:51 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
It doesn't seem like a problem for me either, but it seems to be the reason he's outside the top 10 on most draft lists...maybe the fear is the player will get extended to a lucrative contract over there instead of coming here and fighting for a job, possibly spending time in the AHL etc...
Well the NHL should have to compete for the best players.

I know there is always the fear they won't come over, but you have to select who you think is the best option and make it work.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Jones

The rest.

I'll probably put top 10 or 15 list up soon, If anyone cares(Probably not)
Button is proud of you somewhere

I am quite interested, we seem to match out rankings quite well from time to time me thinks.

01-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Button is proud of you somewhere

I am quite interested, we seem to match out rankings quite well from time to time me thinks.

Yea, Usually we do.

I've got my top 3 locked in and I think I've got #4 as well. But after that it's murky.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Dangles McGavin
Embrace the Petri

I still really want Monahan.

Mackinnon or Monahan would be my dream pick. I'd think that they'd both go back down to Juniors again next year and will make team Canada.

Would be fun to watch a Leafs forward dominate.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:46 PM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
I still really want Monahan.

Mackinnon or Monahan would be my dream pick. I'd think that they'd both go back down to Juniors again next year and will make team Canada.

Would be fun to watch a Leafs forward dominate.
Historically, 1st overall picks do not go back to Juniors. I think Mackinnon would have the talent required to slide into the top 6 or 9 on our team in a sheltered role. Much like Boston did with Seguin.

Monahan might be better served back in Junior though to finely tune his offensive game. But, who knows. With his complete game he could make it in 2013 as well.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:06 PM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

For once i want to see our guys play in these tournaments as premiere guys.

It's great for their confidence and development.

I sure hope they let Reilly play in this tournament again next year, even if they send him from the AHL.

I hope for Mackinnon, but Monahan wont be a bad consolation. Drouin looks great, but the number 1 center plays a big factor.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:31 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
For once i want to see our guys play in these tournaments as premiere guys.

It's great for their confidence and development.

I sure hope they let Reilly play in this tournament again next year, even if they send him from the AHL.

I hope for Mackinnon, but Monahan wont be a bad consolation. Drouin looks great, but the number 1 center plays a big factor.
Rielly's unable to play in the A next year, so it'll probably all come down to whether he's still in juniors or the NHL. Should be an interesting case, if he makes the team it probably means that he's too valuable to give up for any extended period of the schedule, but if he's with Moose Jaw still, then you can pretty much guarantee he'll be there, barring any injury issues. I agree though, it would be nice to see him on the world stage again with another year of experience under his belt and in a better position to be counted on as a leader for Team Canada.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:38 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
Rielly's unable to play in the A next year, so it'll probably all come down to whether he's still in juniors or the NHL. Should be an interesting case, if he makes the team it probably means that he's too valuable to give up for any extended period of the schedule, but if he's with Moose Jaw still, then you can pretty much guarantee he'll be there, barring any injury issues. I agree though, it would be nice to see him on the world stage again with another year of experience under his belt and in a better position to be counted on as a leader for Team Canada.
I hope next year he rips it up in the next year in the WJC if he is still in the juniors. Which is where I'd hope he hones his skills to the max. As well with this draft passing by I hope we have another player in that WJC roster.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:27 AM
Interactif

Probably no surprise but a New top 3 will be released by a scouting service very soon.

1-Jones
2-Mackinnon
3-Drouin

Old
01-04-2013, 08:53 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Probably no surprise but a New top 3 will be released by a scouting service very soon.

1-Jones
2-Mackinnon
3-Drouin
I still have my doubts about Jones. Still wasn't all that impressed by his Canada game. Better than some earlier games but still not amazing by any means.

I'd say MacKinnon still last one, drouin at two and Jones three with lindholm at four, and barkov (who while less offensively potent, still had a better all around tourney than Jones so far IMO) at five

Old
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Lupul - Lindholm - Kessel

Old
01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Yes please

Old
01-04-2013, 11:04 AM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
What style of game does Lindholm play anyways? I haven't read up or watched any videos on him

Old
01-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
What style of game does Lindholm play anyways? I haven't read up or watched any videos on him
I don't want to say it, But it's the closes comparable.

Foppa

Needless to say I'm a huge fan.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:25 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
I don't want to say it, But it's the closes comparable.

Foppa

Needless to say I'm a huge fan.

A lot about him compares favourably to Backstrom. Older in the draft year, one of the best for his age in the SEL, playmaker with skill and shifty style. Small.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

Hey guys, could you please tell me what kind of style do: Lindholm , barkov and Monahan play??

And can they all play center??

Thanks a lot

Old
01-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

1-Jones
2-Mackinnon
3-Drouin
Good list. I am glad to see we, along with TSN, agree on Seth Jones. I guess his comments about him thinking the USA are the best team (after humilitating Canada) are also ignored now, now that he was right

I would love to see the Leafs draft him, but I am starting to conspirically think that he ends up in an American market. Potential to be the best American d-man ever? Playing on a Canadian team?! No way!

Quote:
He's a nice consolation prize. Very good everything, but nothing elite. If he goes top 5, I can't see him doing better than his past Swedish counterparts. I don't see franchise\build-around player in him. He's just a very good piece to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I still have my doubts about Jones. Still wasn't all that impressed by his Canada game. Better than some earlier games but still not amazing by any means.
What game did you watch? Because the game that I saw had him dominating the Canadian top-line, the Canadian d-men afraid to jump into the rush, him still creating offensive chances, and a complete package of size, elite skating, and impact on the game. It's undeniable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I'd say MacKinnon still last one, drouin at two and Jones three with lindholm at four, and barkov (who while less offensively potent, still had a better all around tourney than Jones so far IMO) at five
I have to ask, do you just have something against Seth Jones? Because this list is downright scary and shows clear symptoms of denial. TSN even says he is the clear #1 at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Where? Mackinnon is still the clear #1, as has been said by many analysts.
It was mentioned during the broadcast by their commentators. If you search on HF, you will see some other posters mentioning it as well.

Mackinnon was #1 before, but probably will still battle [and could upset Jones] when it is all over.

Last edited by Epictetus: 01-04-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old
01-04-2013, 11:38 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
I have to ask, do you just have something against Seth Jones? Because this list is downright scary and shows clear symptoms of denial. TSN even says he is the clear #1 at this point.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
A lot about him compares favourably to Backstrom. Older in the draft year, one of the best for his age in the SEL, playmaker with skill and shifty style. Small.
I can see that as well.

But Lindholm bring a physical edge over Backstrom. He's a natural center, But he plays Wing for Brynas and has shown to be aggressive and effective fore checker.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:50 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
I can see that as well.

But Lindholm bring a physical edge over Backstrom. He's a natural center, But he plays Wing for Brynas and has shown to be aggressive and effective fore checker.
I like ... Kessel needs a centre like that, one reason why I reeeeaally want Mackinnon since he's similar in that he's an aggressive forechecker down low

Old
01-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Which analysts?
Most lists had MacKinnon at #1, but seemed to suggest it was close between them. After the WJC ,would have to think its pretty even between them.

As much as I like MacKinnon, you can see why some scouts would be drooling over Jones. He has areas of his game that need improved, but he looks big and very mobile, with a lot of composure. Also, he looks very young in the face and I think he still has a bit of growing to do. Could end up being about 6'6" and 240lbs.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:52 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1099093

Closed Thread