HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Griffin Reinhart suspended four games

Old
01-04-2013, 04:46 AM
JFG

vCash: 500
Griffin Reinhart suspended four games

Islanders draft pick Griffin Reinhart will be suspended for four games after his high stick to the face of USA forward Vince Trocheck.

http://www.worldjunior2013.com/en/ch...rt-suspension/

JFG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:53 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Yeah you cant do it like that Griffin.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:11 AM
Mr Writer

So that means even if he is available next year, he'll be suspended for the first 3 games of the 2014 U20 Championship.
Hockey Canada should name him as one of the 25 players on the senior men's world championship team if he's available, put him on the roster and burn off his 3 game suspension. It's not like we are going to send a serious team to Europe in the spring anyway.

Or, they have to leave him off the team. You can't play the first 3 games with 6 D-men? But Hockey Canada will obviously try. They are dumb as dirt at Hockey Canada.

The only other d-man eligible to return is Rielly.

No forwards are eligible to return except for Drouin and Mackinnon and realistically, both will be in the NHL. So no returning forwards either.

So, for 2014 in Sweden we may have only 1 returning player or 0 returning players. The gold medal drought continues next year. My early prediction.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:14 AM
helicecopter

i have to say, that was well deserved.

helicecopter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:16 AM
MISC*
Negged.

I haven't seen a replay of the incident, but at first glance it didn't seem malicious... Was it?

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:21 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

I thought it looked rather unintentional, but maybe they thought it was too hard of a slash so they just had to suspend him.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:35 AM
LOFIN

Careless and idiotic play, but I don't think it was intentional. Looked far worse than it was. IMO one game if any at all just as a reminder how to controll your stick. If it's 4 games there should be more to it than just reckless controll of your stick, especially when there was no injury on the play.

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:45 AM
orcatown

Clearly swung at the US player. Should have been 5 and a game. Just one more example of the terrible way the game was reffed.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I haven't seen a replay of the incident, but at first glance it didn't seem malicious... Was it?
I always tend to give the players the benefit of the doubt in these situations, and that's the case in this sitaution too. That said, I am not sure I mind the suspension.

But back to the "intent" issue, McSorley, Simon and co had intent behind their swings. After those type of hits, its definitely a falling scale IMHO behind what actually was on purpose or not. I think it was Christian Thomas who was suspended like 10 games in juniors after hitting someone in the head with his stick after being knocked down while still being in the air before he landed on the ice almost. Like we aren't even talking 1/10 of a second in that case.

This slash was definitely not thought true, but you are still responsible for your stick.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:14 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Thought this was pretty bad when watching the game, it got worse on the slow mo replay for me. He takes a punch to the back of the head in the corner and comes back swinging, it looked intentional to me. Not to get the head, but his intention was to land a pretty big slash in my opinion, I think what he was going for was the shoulder or across the arm, well he missed. Only he knows, but I thought it was a retaliation gone wrong. It is a very good chop and almost a baseball swing.

The Islanders like to take their prospects early so maybe he won't be available next year. If not he should sit the four games when he gets back, hey if Noesen can serve his in the OHL, why can't he serve them in the WHL to get them cleared. If he cannot than I would like the IIHF to explain in better detail Noesen's absence and if they don't honor someone serving the time in another league than I call bull on them enforcing other leagues rules in these tournaments.

By the way Trocheck has been made available to the media a lot, didn't see anything from him today. I hope this isn't a case of after the game something was wrong and the IIHF knows that as well. Would stink if he was out for the Gold Medal game. They seem to suggest he isn't hurt, but I still wonder on that, with the head involved today will be telling when they get together for practice

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 01-04-2013 at 06:21 AM.
The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Ola

One thing, I want to say that I think the two guy crew who looks at this situation has done a great job.

Discipline reviews has been a complete and utter embaracement of IIHF for a long time. Most things pass completely, and when it don't it has been politics about it.

Mika Hannula's suspension for his cross-check on Sidney Crosby is the best example. Two members of the review board were on vaccation summer time and the brought up the case again and gave him 4 more games. I have no problem with the suspension, but it just shows how utterly politicised that board was.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:23 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Thought this was pretty bad when watching the game, it got worse on the slow mo replay for me. He takes a punch to the back of the head in the corner and comes back swinging, it looked intentional to me. Not to get the head, but his intention was to land a pretty big slash in my opinion, I think what he was going for was the shoulder or across the arm, well he missed. Only he knows, but I thought it was a retaliation gone wrong. It is a very good chop and almost a baseball swing.

The Islanders like to take their prospects early so maybe he won't be available next year. If not he should sit the four games when he gets back, hey if Noesen can serve his in the OHL, why can't he serve them in the WHL to get them cleared. If he cannot than I would like the IIHF to explain in better detail Noesen's absence and if they don't honor someone serving the time in another league than I call bull on them enforcing other leagues rules in these tournaments.

By the way Trocheck has been made available to the media a lot, didn't see anything from him today. I hope this isn't a case of after the game something was wrong and the IIHF knows that as well. Would stink if he was out for the Gold Medal game.
You make an excellent point there about serving the suspension in the WHL. The suspension is under appeal, HC wants it reduced. And if it is not reduced, and the IIHF refuses to recognize his sitting out 4 WHL games, then you indeed have a beef with regards to what happened with the Noesen suspension. Next year HC may have to leave him off the team in that case. Can't play the prelim rd. with 6 d-men.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 01-04-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old
01-04-2013, 06:26 AM
n00bxQb

Skip to the 3-minute mark

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:53 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
You make an excellent point there about serving the suspension in the WHL. The suspension is under appeal, HC wants it reduced. And if it is not reduced, and the IIHF refuses to recognize his sitting out 4 WHL games, then you indeed have a beef with regards to what happened with the Noesen suspension. Next year HC may have to leave him off the team in that case. Can't play the prelim rd. with 6 d-men.
He isnt going to serve the suspension in the WHL. No chance. This is a complete overreaction and a ridiculous amount of games on a play that was called a two minute minor where the player sustained no injury and the offender has no prior record.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:54 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
It was though.
Make your case.

"It was though" isnt good enough.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He isnt going to serve the suspension in the WHL. No chance. This is a complete overreaction and a ridiculous amount of games on a play that was called a two minute minor where the player sustained no injury and the offender has no prior record.
I don't disagree with you at all. ))) Lets hope HC's appeal works.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:09 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Make your case.

"It was though" isnt good enough.
Taking a whack at someone is bad enough, I don't buy the not malicious thing some of you are talking about because it's obvious he was taking whack at him as hard as he could given the situation and even if it wasn't his purpose to hit him in the face.. he did hit in the face and that could have ended really bad even if it didn't (this time). Gotta keep your cool even if frustrated and not whack someone in the face with your stick. I want hard punishments for those infractions and Griffin got it. Just like I would not have objected if McSorley had gotten 50 games for his on Brashear back in the days. Just how I see it, obviously not how you do but that's ok.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:14 AM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Can't go around whacking people in the face with your stick, Griffin.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:23 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I'm not surprised by this.

I don't think it looked all that accidental, either...I don't think he meant to do it that badly...but his stick didn't just accidentally slip, either

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:24 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Taking a whack at someone is bad enough, I don't buy the not malicious thing some of you are talking about because it's obvious he was taking whack at him as hard as he could given the situation and even if it wasn't his purpose to hit him in the face.. he did hit in the face and that could have ended really bad even if it didn't (this time). Gotta keep your cool even if frustrated and not whack someone in the face with your stick. I want hard punishments for those infractions and Griffin got it. Just like I would not have objected if McSorley had gotten 50 games for his on Brashear back in the days. Just how I see it, obviously not how you do but that's ok.
Comparing this to what McSorley did is completely ridiculous. Reinhart was falling/lost his footing, and there is question as to whether this was accidental or not.

Ive watched pretty much every game Reinhart has played in the last two years and this is completely out of character for him. Boone Jenner on the other hand is a known repeat offender who took a late run at a player, knocking him out of the tourney and possibly ending his season completely. But for this Jenner gets less games than Reinhart, who didnt even get a major penalty on the play in the view of the four on ice officials, and no injury was incurred on the play.

Not sure how this can be justified tbh.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:27 AM
stlblues9

vCash: 50
Quote:
I watched the replay over and over again and it looked like he was trying to shoot the puck away and Trochek got his stick underneath Reinharts when he was trying to shoot it and Reinharts stick just rode up Trocheks to his face. I don't think he meant to do it at all.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:27 AM
WaltWhitman

lol@ people that think it was unintentional

Did he think the puck was in Trochek's mouth or what? LOLOLOL

WaltWhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:29 AM
MIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
Skip to the 3-minute mark
Whaa?? Skip ahead and miss seeing all those goals again!

MIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:32 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Kevin Gibson ‏@TSNResearch
Players at WJC have been suspended a total of 13 games, CAN representing 8 of those games. If you're not first, you're last.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:32 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltWhitman View Post
lol@ people that think it was unintentional

Did he think the puck was in Trochek's mouth or what? LOLOLOL
You missed my point, he intended to slash him, there is just too much power there and he is looking at his target (according to what they ruled) and wheels into it. He didn't expect it to ride up the stick (Reinhart's statement, don't know that I agree with that either, looks like his hands are on his stick hard to tell if his stick really rode up the shaft of Trocheck stick) and miss the shoulder but guess what, it did. The intention was to slash though in my opinion, the result wasn't what he wanted, but hey I don't think this matters. Pause at 3:23 he is looking right at him face to face when the stick is making comment. I understand it is hard to control that and these things happen in split seconds, but I think it can be argued this was a slash that just went flat out wrong. 4 games seems pretty long given what they have given some other intent to injure plays. The Russian kids hit actually gets off very lightly if you consider this as Hockey Canada has pointed out.

The IIHF has said he has to serve it at an IIHF event, so now I would really like an answer on Noesen, this is garbage. If Reinhart wanted to serve it in the WHL he should be allowed to. That is a terrible double standard and one I think a lot of people should complain about.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 01-04-2013 at 07:40 AM.
The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote