HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Projected New Salary Cap for 2013/14.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
  #51
Nuck This
Registered User
 
Nuck This's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,103
vCash: 500
Ummm I really don't understand the doom and gloom. Isn't there a possibility of two buy outs?


CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m)
Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $60,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $42,939,167; BONUSES: $125,000
CAP SPACE (14-man roster): $17,185,833

There's still room to sign a high profile free agent and resign Edler and fill out 4th line and 6th defenseman. Luongo trade, Booth buy out and Ballard buy out.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:54 AM
  #52
Jumex
Registered User
 
Jumex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salisbury, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
I don't understand people wanting to buy-out Booth...

Yeah sure he didn't set the world on fire last season, but I think Gillis will be patient enough. If Booth is healthy he's the closest we have to a crash the net winger with speed.

The only player I can see buy out worthy is Ballard. I think he's a decent player, but not for the Canucks.

Jumex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:05 AM
  #53
Spectrefire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I doubt it. Being a young, RFA defensive defenseman looking towards his 2nd contract he's not the type of player that warrants a lot of money. Heading into last season Karl Alzner got a 2 year deal at $1.285 per year. I imagine Tanev will be close to that.
Fair enough. I was using Bozak as a comparable for Tanev.

As for the discussion on Kassian and Jensen and their roles on the roster next season, I think that they absolutely belong in the top six.

For me, it'd ideally be:

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Booth-Kesler-Kassian

I think that fills the needs of both those two lines tremendously. Jensen's a dynamic sniper and putting on on a line with two elite playmakers could potentially create some very good results.

Kesler and Booth are two shoot-first guys who are missing a natural RW playmaker to pass them the puck. Zack Kassian IS a natural RW playmaker who can do just that. He's a perfect fit for that line. He's a big speedy power forward who would be playing with two other big speedy power forwards.

That would also give Jordan Schroeder an opportunity to center a 3rd line with Burrows and Higgins/Hansen. He'd have two very good TWFs to help him out defensively, and their combined speed and offensive potential would make a very potent 3rd line combination.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:17 AM
  #54
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,938
vCash: 500
We have to give booth at least a half season yet if their is one.

For the people who are putting jensen in the first line and kassian on the 2nd next year and buying out booth it might be a bit premature. But I do have high hopes for them.

With that said the 60 million cap is doable for sure, but I still maintain its low and not much breathing room.

Orca Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:24 AM
  #55
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Ummm I really don't understand the doom and gloom. Isn't there a possibility of two buy outs?


CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m)
Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $60,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $42,939,167; BONUSES: $125,000
CAP SPACE (14-man roster): $17,185,833

There's still room to sign a high profile free agent and resign Edler and fill out 4th line and 6th defenseman. Luongo trade, Booth buy out and Ballard buy out.
Interesting take on this. Lets say though booth comes into his own, or we feel he deserves another season and jensen or kassian are not quite ready.

Thats 4.2 million if we keep booth.

Lets say we take 3 million back in the lou trade for some good prospects thats 7 million.

We resign edler for 5.5 million, now were at 12.5 million.

Add eddie lack I think he makes 1 million? Correct me if im wrong here.

13.5 million out of a possible 17 million you mentioned.

We still need bottom pairing defense and an extra, a 3rd line center, two gritty 4th line guys to play with max. We will also need to likely give max and higgins a small raise maybe equal to 1.5 million in total between the both of them.

It is doable, but then we also might have trouble and need to forget about signing a top free agent that could put us over the top this summer like cory perry. I am just saying another 3-5 million dollars added to the cap would be nice for a bit more breathing room to keep our options open. Plus we are also assuming cheap contracts like kassian and jensen can fill top spots, which is not a guarantee for next season either.

I did like the guys you removed though, probably exactly who I would dump to. Ballard, Manny, Raymond, then booth after he gets a bit more of a chance. A lower cap might have some positives to though, it will put more pressure on players to perform and open a path to give younger players more of a chance as well. Something I would like to see AV and gillis do a bit more of. I feel they can be to loyal to some players at times, simply because we can afford them. So lowering the cap a bit might help raise the bar of expectations.


Last edited by Orca Smash: 01-04-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Orca Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
  #56
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
^^^^

You need to add $2.5 million for Burrows' raise too.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:38 AM
  #57
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumex View Post
I don't understand people wanting to buy-out Booth...

Yeah sure he didn't set the world on fire last season, but I think Gillis will be patient enough. If Booth is healthy he's the closest we have to a crash the net winger with speed.

The only player I can see buy out worthy is Ballard. I think he's a decent player, but not for the Canucks.



My hope is that Ballard raises his stock enough this year that some team takes him on in the offseason. He's overpaid, but not to the point where he is a buyout candidate IMO. There are other mid-pairing Dmen that make that 4m salary...



Agreed on Booth. No way they buy him out IMO.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:23 AM
  #58
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,646
vCash: 500
I did a 60m cap without any raises. Burrows, Higgins, Lapierre and Edler need to be re-upped. You have 4m~ to do it. Can it be done?


We know 2.5m is going to Burrows. The rest would have to go to Edler in raise. Higgins and Lapierre would receive no raise... that's a tough line-up to fit together.




CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Steve Pinizzotto ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)
Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Kevin Connauton ($0.900m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Yann Sauve ($0.875m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
SALARY CAP: $60,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,785,000; BONUSES: $422,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,415,000




Raymond and Malhotra walk. Ballard is traded/waived/bought out. Luongo is obviously traded without taking any roster players back.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
  #59
Nuck This
Registered User
 
Nuck This's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Interesting take on this. Lets say though booth comes into his own, or we feel he deserves another season and jensen or kassian are not quite ready.

Thats 4.2 million if we keep booth.

Lets say we take 3 million back in the lou trade for some good prospects thats 7 million.

We resign edler for 5.5 million, now were at 12.5 million.

Add eddie lack I think he makes 1 million? Correct me if im wrong here.

13.5 million out of a possible 17 million you mentioned.

We still need bottom pairing defense and an extra, a 3rd line center, two gritty 4th line guys to play with max. We will also need to likely give max and higgins a small raise maybe equal to 1.5 million in total between the both of them.

It is doable, but then we also might have trouble and need to forget about signing a top free agent that could put us over the top this summer like cory perry. I am just saying another 3-5 million dollars added to the cap would be nice for a bit more breathing room to keep our options open. Plus we are also assuming cheap contracts like kassian and jensen can fill top spots, which is not a guarantee for next season either.

I did like the guys you removed though, probably exactly who I would dump to. Ballard, Manny, Raymond, then booth after he gets a bit more of a chance. A lower cap might have some positives to though, it will put more pressure on players to perform and open a path to give younger players more of a chance as well. Something I would like to see AV and gillis do a bit more of. I feel they can be to loyal to some players at times, simply because we can afford them. So lowering the cap a bit might help raise the bar of expectations.
Ya mine was a bit dreamy but still were not in as bad as a position as many believe and our journalists believe. Our core will be completely intact with just some younger players in the mix.


Last edited by Nuck This: 01-04-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:47 PM
  #60
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,887
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I did a 60m cap without any raises. Burrows, Higgins, Lapierre and Edler need to be re-upped. You have 4m~ to do it. Can it be done?


We know 2.5m is going to Burrows. The rest would have to go to Edler in raise. Higgins and Lapierre would receive no raise... that's a tough line-up to fit together.
If the salary cap is going to be $60 million then it's entirely likely that Higgins and Lapierre won't require a raise. In my opinion they've earned one, but wit the sudden cap drop these are the guys that are going to be hurt the most. Every other good team is going to be struggling with their own cap problems and wouldn't be able to afford to poach them with a raise, and the teams that have cap room have no incentive to spend but if/when they do it's going to be a huge buyers market. Maybe a team will look Higgins or Lapierre's way, but that's a gamble and could end up with them having to accept a minimum wage contract to stay in the NHL or end up in Europe, as has happened to other players in the past who at the end of summer were left without a contract and no one had ca space to sign them. So there best bet will likely be to resign with us at around the same value, on a short term deal so they can try free agency again when the caps gone up.

I still think Edler is going to cost us $6M though.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:09 AM
  #61
Falconator
Registered User
 
Falconator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
If the salary cap is going to be $60 million then it's entirely likely that Higgins and Lapierre won't require a raise. In my opinion they've earned one, but wit the sudden cap drop these are the guys that are going to be hurt the most. Every other good team is going to be struggling with their own cap problems and wouldn't be able to afford to poach them with a raise, and the teams that have cap room have no incentive to spend but if/when they do it's going to be a huge buyers market. Maybe a team will look Higgins or Lapierre's way, but that's a gamble and could end up with them having to accept a minimum wage contract to stay in the NHL or end up in Europe, as has happened to other players in the past who at the end of summer were left without a contract and no one had ca space to sign them. So there best bet will likely be to resign with us at around the same value, on a short term deal so they can try free agency again when the caps gone up.

I still think Edler is going to cost us $6M though.
Just my opinion, but I don't think Edler will be here next year. I too think he's gonna cost upwards of 6 million a year! I just hope like heck Gillis has enough brains to trade him before the deadline if he's not signed, I don't wanna see him walk away for nothing. Teams would pay a good price for him, even as an upcoming UFA.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:50 AM
  #62
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
If the salary cap is going to be $60 million then it's entirely likely that Higgins and Lapierre won't require a raise. In my opinion they've earned one, but wit the sudden cap drop these are the guys that are going to be hurt the most. Every other good team is going to be struggling with their own cap problems and wouldn't be able to afford to poach them with a raise, and the teams that have cap room have no incentive to spend but if/when they do it's going to be a huge buyers market. Maybe a team will look Higgins or Lapierre's way, but that's a gamble and could end up with them having to accept a minimum wage contract to stay in the NHL or end up in Europe, as has happened to other players in the past who at the end of summer were left without a contract and no one had ca space to sign them. So there best bet will likely be to resign with us at around the same value, on a short term deal so they can try free agency again when the caps gone up.

I still think Edler is going to cost us $6M though.



Good points. Yes, the incentive would be there for them to take the same contract on a short term deal. Leaving the 4m~ over to the raises of Burrows and Edler. Hopefully, Edler takes that deal and stays here. That's the hope anyways.


If Edler does, then this team loses essentially Malhotra, Alberts, Raymond, Ballard and Luongo. Then, they replace those pieces with two depth forwards, 1 depth dman, Connauten and Lack... Not a good downgrade at all. Luongo being the one that would hurt the most, but he would be leaving regardless. It's the same top end to the team though, so they would still be good overall IMO.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:34 AM
  #63
kcunac
Registered User
 
kcunac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
I don't think we're in that bad of a position. We don't have many bad contracts, and Manny/Raymond will be gone in 2013. If we buy-out Ballard, we could use our other buy-out on a bad contract taken back in a Luongo trade - which could increase the trade possibilities.

kcunac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:22 AM
  #64
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,938
vCash: 500
Apparently it's 64.3M for Year 2.

Start crunching the numbers. We MUST keep Edler.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:26 AM
  #65
Agent007
Registered User
 
Agent007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Apparently it's 64.3M for Year 2.

Start crunching the numbers. We MUST keep Edler.
If we trade Luongo and buy out Ballard then we'll have enough money to resign Edler (anywhere from $5m to $6m cap hit is affordable).

Having that cap at $64.3 is HUGE for us.

It also gives us the possibility to buy out Booth and look for a potential upgrade in the $5m range.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:57 AM
  #66
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
If we trade Luongo and buy out Ballard then we'll have enough money to resign Edler (anywhere from $5m to $6m cap hit is affordable).

Having that cap at $64.3 is HUGE for us.

It also gives us the possibility to buy out Booth and look for a potential upgrade in the $5m range.
I'd see if we can get an upgrade before buying Booth out. Or trading for a pick to another team.

Tons of options for every team with 1-2 compliance buyouts.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:34 AM
  #67
Falconator
Registered User
 
Falconator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
So it looks like next years cap will be $64.3 million, Gillis has some work to do. CBA to be ratified and the boys are back on the ice. Don't know how the rest of you feel, but I'm not spending a dime on the NHL this year!!!

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.