HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLIV: The Night and the Silent Water

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 09:55 AM
dubidubidu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguee View Post
Wonderful Wednesdays
Tight rope Thursdays
Failing Fridays
Sad Saturdays
Solemn Sundays
Maybe Mondays
Talking Tuesdays

Rinse, repeat
I just want to be put under some sort of spell that makes me forget I ever cared about this damn league until the season starts, whenever that is..

Old
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie King View Post
Which is what exactly?

I'd call it posturing, and it seems pretty obvious. It's like asking a GM what he expects on deadline day.

Old
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzerman View Post
If the season gets cancelled next week, I think we finally see Bettman let go. He had his warning from the owners. Daly may be on the hot seat as well.
I doubt that very much They are carrying out the wishes of the owners.
sounds like another PA fantasy.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Alfie was on Ottawa radio this morning and basically said part of the reason this is going so bad is that the first proposal the owners sent them was sooooo bad they are actually still pissed off about it.

He didn't say that directly but that in a nutshell.
Gotta love hockey players and their "pride". NHL's original offer was pretty much the exact copy from NFL's and NBA's 1st offers and in those leagues the players weren't offended enough by those offers that they let it dictate how the negotiations went.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:57 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
If the season gets cancelled next week, I think we finally see Bettman let go. He had his warning from the owners. Daly may be on the hot seat as well.
If enough owners (enough to fire him) are not on board with cancelling the season, Bettman would not cancel the season.

I think this is the last CBA negotiation for Bettman regardless of how it ends, and that he will be commissioner until there is a new CBA regardless of when that is.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Not happening. Bettman doesn't decide to cancel the season by himself - he needs the owners permission for that. They won't fire him for carrying out their orders.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:58 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Pensions have been known to kill many a company. Many industries here in Canada are failing noe because they can't meet there pension plans that were negotiated with unions years ago. Pensions are definitley not small thing for either side.
And in the US, many States are in over their heads financially because of bloated union pensions and salaries of govt. employees.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:59 AM
8thRoundPick

It's my belief that the PA will cave on the next olive branch from the owners, even if it's very small. My guess is that the owners will give slightly in regards to the pension issue, not much, but a little. Players will take it luke warm, and they will announce the season to start January 19th.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:00 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I was 100% certain there was going to be a season..now I'm worried.
Take everything that happens through this weekend with a huge grain of salt. It's all a show from both sides to squeeze some last minute concessions out of the other side. Even most insiders predicted that this would happen so don't worry too much.
If you will follow this hour to hour the next few days, you're just going to drive yourself mad because there is going to be a lot of negativity coming out. What i'm going to do is take a break from all this until early next week when the deadline nears, that's when we'll have a better read on the situation. I expect the chirade to be over by then and for the sides to start getting serious about making a deal.

Old
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib
Told if next few days 'go badly' for #NHL and #nhlpa there is likely to be 'quick development' with a certain #C in Pittsburgh. @penguins
Yawn. Read as: If you dont give us what we want, Crosby will go play somewhere else.

Stop being petulant children with all the immature *****ing and moaning about the first owners offer, and the idle threats and votes, and act like professionals.

Make mature, rational decisions and come to the best agreement you can make and get back on the ice, where you want to be and we want you to be.

Old
RTnyr5

Quote:
Alfie was on Ottawa radio this morning and basically said part of the reason this is going so bad is that the first proposal the owners sent them was sooooo bad they are actually still pissed off about it.

I really do not understand why the players continue to sit back and whine and cry about everything. So the first offer was a huge low blow from the league, get over it and move on. The latest offer is not even close to that first offer, so why are they still worried about it. Same thing with the "HRR" problem from yesterday. Its been resolved and players are still upset. Just goes to show how much of a lie it is when they all say they just want to play

Old
01-04-2013, 10:01 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
Gotta love hockey players and their "pride". NHL's original offer was pretty much the exact copy from NFL's and NBA's 1st offers and in those leagues the players weren't offended enough by those offers that they let it dictate how the negotiations went.
He actually said that the players saw it as a declaration of war. I guess thats how it was spun to them

Other than that Alfie didn't actually go after the league or declare his undying loyalty to Fehr. He said that he had expected there to be a settlement before now and is frustrated at the pace of negotiations.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:02 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubidubidu View Post
I just want to be put under some sort of spell that makes me forget I ever cared about this damn league until the season starts, whenever that is..
"You don't care about this league, you never have. When the season starts you will care more for the league than you ever have"

Old
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
At least they put one in, the players took a month to reply but now they can do it in 24 hours...
It was just a big FU though....

Old
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
Not happening. Bettman doesn't decide to cancel the season by himself - he needs the owners permission for that. They won't fire him for carrying out their orders.
Exactly! And yet people hate Bettman, like he is the one calling all the shots. He's the evil doer.

It's the owners you pinheads! The owners as a group pull the puppet strings. Bettman is solely the mouthpiece, negotiator. Get your hatred right.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:03 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Yawn. Read as: If you dont give us what we want, Crosby will go play somewhere else.
Yup, good. Go over to Russia, pay horrible amounts of insurance, and get concussed again with no proper medical treatment.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
"You don't care about this league, you never have. When the season starts you will care more for the league than you ever have"
Compton was a complete sissy before he turned into the evil vampire god. Just saying

Old
01-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:

So are they really sniff.. sniff.. sniff... over the 57--->43 offer from months ago.

Grow up you babies, you're flushing money down the toilet over a offer that was never meant to be a serious offer. Do you guys see the owners still harping over not starting earlier? No.

Someone needs to save you guys from yourselves and it isn't, Fehr, who should be keeping you from making stupid acts/decisions like this. It's not personal, it's all business.

Old
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:

what you mean getting offered 43% of the pie is bad?

now they know how the owners felt.

Old
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:

Wow. Imagine if they had received the NBA's offer.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
WTH is Crosby going to do? It's not like he's shown that he's got the power within the NHLPA to override Fehr, which is basically what we're talking about now.

I tend to be pro-owner, but really feel like both sides are putting the squeeze on just for ego sake at this point. I think that Fehr is going to push the boundaries trying to squeeze everything that he can for his constituents. I'm just afraid that he has misread the NHL, and doesn't think the 10th is a real deadline. With what is still outstanding, not coming to an agreement at this point would be ludicrious.

For Crosby to be able to do anything IMO - he would have to have the power within the union to tell Fehr "Get us the best deal you can by Thursday, but get us a deal." I haven't seen anything to date that would let me think that Crosby has that kind of juice in the NHLPA.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:09 AM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I was 100% certain there was going to be a season..now I'm worried.
Until they step on the ice, you should never have been 100% certain.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Fehr would have spun the NHL opening offer as a declaration of war, no matter what. It was his plan and since the players are still whining about it, it seems to have worked.

Old
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Wonderful Wednesdays
Tight rope Thursdays
Failing Fridays
Sad Saturdays
Solemn Sundays
Maybe Mondays
Talking Tuesdays

Rinse, repeat
The way its starting, this might be "Final Friday". Or "Fubar Friday". Take your pick.

Old
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I'm waiting for the players to demand an 82 game schedule yet so they can collect their paychecks. It's doable - there are that many days left in February, March and April and still get the playoffs in.

C'mon Fehr - fight for that.

Closed Thread