HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Discussion XLIV: The Night and the Silent Water

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 10:11 AM
ChiefWampum

vCash: 500
Long time lurker, but first time post. Take it for what it's worth:

Boomer Esiason on WSCR in Chicago offered what he knew about the lockout at the end of his segment. He said that according to people at NBC, expect something by Monday (if not Monday itself). NBC paid the league upfront for this season, so the owners have the money in pocket. If they don't play the season, the league will give NBC a free year at the end of their contact, which they don't want.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:12 AM
ODCapital74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Bruins Fan View Post
The way its starting, this might be "Final Friday". Or "Fubar Friday". Take your pick.
Either way, it's Final Friday.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Isildur1

Is anyone else hoping there ISNíT a season?

I was supposed to go to the Winter Classic, but with no Winter Classic, no 24/7, no All Star Game, months and months of bickering from both sides, etc., I am hoping the season is just canceled and they can start fresh in October.

Plus, I really hate the idea of a 40-something game season.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Yawn. Read as: If you dont give us what we want, Crosby will go play somewhere else.

Stop being petulant children with all the immature *****ing and moaning about the first owners offer, and the idle threats and votes, and act like professionals.

Make mature, rational decisions and come to the best agreement you can make and get back on the ice, where you want to be and we want you to be.
And Crosby is going to risk his $100+M NHL contract playing overseas? With his concussion history? Have fun with that one Sid.

I actually read the Tweet as Crosby would get more involved in the negotation process, not go overseas.

Old
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Man....

If Thursday comes and there's no CBA agreement and Bettman is given the authority to cancel the season, the pissing and moaning from the players is going to be taken to a whole new level.

It's already bad enough with Twitter and radio interviews and whatnot, but you know that Reporters will be picking up on their Twitter quotes and conducting interviews, and we're going to be treated to a whole bunch of "I just can't believe they cancelled the season. We were here, we were ready to negotiate, we just needed a willing partner."

And we'll see the NHL's response as, "We told the Union our final date, we attempted to resolve the dispute before then but just couldn't come to an agreement. But they shouldn't be shocked, we told them what would happen if there wasn't an agreement."

And us fans are left standing there wondering how these Millionaires and Billionaires let some Pension details and what is amounting to 150 million (extra $5 million in cap space per team) derail any form of an NHL season.

Old
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWampum View Post
Long time lurker, but first time post. Take it for what it's worth:

Boomer Esiason on WSCR in Chicago offered what he knew about the lockout at the end of his segment. He said that according to people at NBC, expect something by Monday (if not Monday itself). NBC paid the league upfront for this season, so the owners have the money in pocket. If they don't play the season, the league will give NBC a free year at the end of their contact, which they don't want.
Interesting, but doesn't Boomer work for CBS? He probably has sources, but still, seems odd.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
And Crosby is going to risk his $100+M NHL contract playing overseas? With his concussion history? Have fun with that one Sid.

I actually read the Tweet as Crosby would get more involved in the negotation process, not go overseas.
If Crosby wants to go overseas and have some junior B reject end his career then I say "To ahead. Knock yourself out."

I've had it with these child players.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:17 AM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

I think people are reading a little too much into Crosby simply going somewhere to play hockey if the NHL isn't an option this year. Not everything is some diabolical scheme by the PA.

Old
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Man....

If Thursday comes and there's no CBA agreement and Bettman is given the authority to cancel the season, the pissing and moaning from the players is going to be taken to a whole new level.

It's already bad enough with Twitter and radio interviews and whatnot, but you know that Reporters will be picking up on their Twitter quotes and conducting interviews, and we're going to be treated to a whole bunch of "I just can't believe they cancelled the season. We were here, we were ready to negotiate, we just needed a willing partner."

And we'll see the NHL's response as, "We told the Union our final date, we attempted to resolve the dispute before then but just couldn't come to an agreement. But they shouldn't be shocked, we told them what would happen if there wasn't an agreement."

And us fans are left standing there wondering how these Millionaires and Billionaires let some Pension details and what is amounting to 150 million (extra $5 million in cap space per team) derail any form of an NHL season.
You forgot to put the word "disappointed" in the NHL's response...

Old
Yzlamic Extremist

vCash: 629
The moment war was declared in these negotiations was when the NHLPA rejected the league's realignment.

Old
ChiefWampum

Quote:
Interesting, but doesn't Boomer work for CBS? He probably has sources, but still, seems odd.
Good point, he does work for CBS. NYC is his home base, though, so he may have some various network contacts.

Old
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
It's more or less common knowledge that the NHL would owe NBC a free season if this one is cancelled. That's part of the reason a cancelled season is "not an option" - because, unlike last time, the NHL has an active TV contract.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:18 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
You forgot to put the word "disappointed" in the NHL's response...
Ah...so I did Bubba...so I did.

Touche!

Old
njdevil26

Quote:
Yeah Boomer works for CBS and does a morning show on The Fan660 in NYC. He's a crazy die hard Ranger fan and his radio partner Craig Carton hates hockey and complains any time Boomer brings it up... so I wouldn't be surprised Boomer tried to go talk hockey somewhere else.

That radio station is horse-****. It's the home station for the Devils... and Mike Francesa does a run down at 6pm every day of what sports are on TV at night and doesn't even mention that the Devils are playing... an hour before they are on THAT STATION.

You want to find reasons why hockey is kept down in the USA... people go out of their way to make sure no one talks about it.

Old
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Man, you wouldn't believe they are actually in mediation right now. NOTHING is filtering through.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:19 AM
ODCapital74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzerman View Post
The moment war was declared in these negotiations was when the NHLPA rejected the league's realignment.
True. That's when you knew they weren't going to give the owners anything at all.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildur1 View Post

I was supposed to go to the Winter Classic, but with no Winter Classic, no 24/7, no All Star Game, months and months of bickering from both sides, etc., I am hoping the season is just canceled and they can start fresh in October.

What makes u think they will play in October? If u want the league to crumble, then sure, miss another full season

Old
01-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Players act irrationally because they are rich people.
Owners act differently because they are rich businessmen and don't take everything to heart. And then moan and groan about "loyalty" and "trust".

Old
01-04-2013, 10:22 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:

As much as I missed 24/7 this year, the ASG, WC and 24/7 are hardly the most important parts of a hockey season. They're novelties than have been implemented to boost revenue and little more. I'm fine with a 40+ game season because it's miles better than no hockey at all. What do I care if I turn on MSG in February and it's game number 55 or 15? What do I care in April if the teams vying for the 6-8 seed have played 40 games a piece or 78? What do I care if the number one seed in the playoffs had a better record over 48 games than everyone else in the league, rather than over 82 games? Will I not still be watching playoff hockey? Yep. Not trying to miss that opportunity.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:23 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Fehr would have spun the NHL opening offer as a declaration of war, no matter what. It was his plan and since the players are still whining about it, it seems to have worked.
I wonder how far Beatlejuie is really going to end up taking this thing. I'm afraid to know.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:23 AM
RTnyr5

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Yeah Boomer works for CBS and does a morning show on The Fan660 in NYC. He's a crazy die hard Ranger fan and his radio partner Craig Carton hates hockey and complains any time Boomer brings it up... so I wouldn't be surprised Boomer tried to go talk hockey somewhere else.
Yes, and even though he works for CBS, being a high profile former NFL qb and still a popular media figure, im sure he still has sources all around. And it is also not like Boomer to just throw random information out there just for the sake of saying somethingor creating buzz. If he said that, I am sure he really feels his source at NBC is reliable and may have something.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:24 AM
luongo321

Quote:

Funny, these are all of the things that I don't give a damn about.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:24 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
People have to stop taking Rossi tweets out of context. Rob Rossi knows nothing. He's been a proven idiot multiple times. All he probably did was texted Sid's agent to see if he'd play w/ Geno is the season was cancelled. Once he got a yes, he disguises his tweets to get hits.

He's a joke of a writer and people need to realize that.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Ugene Malkin
BŁck Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post

Crosby tried, and I highly doubt he'll stick his neck out again. This is based on both sides demeanor.

There's just to many times I've seen him just lower his head like.. is this really happening?

The ones who still can get through this without emotion should be front and center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
I think people are reading a little too much into Crosby simply going somewhere to play hockey if the NHL isn't an option this year. Not everything is some diabolical scheme by the PA.
Agreed.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Man....

Just to clarify Rocklobster - the 2013-14 cap has a ZERO impact on what the NHL will pay the players. There is NOT a potential "$150M" impact. The players would get 50% of HRR + whatever makewhole dollars are agreed to. ALL the extra capspace means that the teams would have more flexibility to pay UFA/RFA's a "market rate", and ALL NHLPA member would end up giving back more in escrow.

Simple example: A team has $59M committed to 22 players. Let's say they've got a RFA who made $1M last year, but on the market would probably make $4M.

If Cap is set at $60M, they could any of the following:
1) Use one of the amensty buy-outs to buy out another player to free up cap space. This might or might not be an option depending on team budget, and if there is a bad contract on the books.
2) Make a deal to trade a player to free up cap space. Again - might or might not be possible, and the trade would potentially just open up another hole that would have to be filled.
3) Tell the player to take the $1M, or he'll have to be traded if someone is willing to pay "full price" in a trade. Might or might not happen, which could result the player either signing a below market deal, or not playing.

Cap at $65-67M:
1) Sign him to a fair deal, and all the NHLPA member get less back from escrow as salaries will certainly exceed 50% of HRR and any make dollars.

The only impact the cap at $60M has it is really reduces the flexibility of teams to offer contracts. It does NOTHING to impact the total $'s paid to players in 2013-14.

Closed Thread