HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

barefoot+skates=feet stink?

Old
12-24-2008, 03:47 PM
MikeD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkd88 View Post
The smell is bacteria. If you control the bacteria, you of course control the smell. The bacteria come from your sweat.
sort of but not quite. These things do not spontaneously generate from your sweat. They are presnt on most surfaces and on your body from the moment your born until you do something to sanitize the surface. Not all are harmfull and in fact are necessary. Some of those found in your digestive tract are required and with out them you will not feel well at all. Ask any one who has had to go through dosage of very trong antibiotics and they will confirm. The smell is the gas produced by these little critters as they happily munch away an dead skin cells, sweat and the materials of your gear. Yes, microbial farts! That is what you are smelling....

Last edited by MikeD: 12-24-2008 at 03:54 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 01:44 PM
dude92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
It's all a matter of how you feel. If you like and prefer the feeling of being barfeoot, go for it.

Besides, many people I encounter in a dressing room already have plenty of nasty, stinky equipment anyway, so what's one more smell?

Not keeping your skates in a bag and letting them dry in the outside hockey bag air when you are not skating is probably your best bet. Febreeze probably wouldn't hurt either.

If I remember correctly, Paul Coffey skated barefoot, but I have no idea what he did for the smell. But seeing what an awesome player he was, I'm sure he could care less.
Gonna try Febreeze, but I think my skates are doomed lol They smell awful, and doubt anything will undo it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Him View Post
I always went barefoot in my skates, and they always smelled terrible. I had lots of teammates who wore socks and had terrible smelling skates too though.

Some people's feet just stink.
Yeah even with socks my skates and feet smell but barefoot just made everything stink 20x more. I like barefoot though, feels more comfortable.

dude92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:10 PM
OmarComin

Does anyone put baby powder on their feet while going barefoot? Is this a good idea or not?

OmarComin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:32 PM
fish7

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigg View Post
Does anyone put baby powder on their feet while going barefoot? Is this a good idea or not?
i use gold baum foot powder between that and drying my skates, they do not smell too bad

fish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:47 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJebus View Post
its so bad for you to go barefoot
do you like gang green? because thats what you can get. I used to work in a LHS and its always been recommended to wear thin socks
try the brand "Fox river hockey socks". they are amazing
Interesting, didn't know they had hockey socks. I wear their wick dry trampers every game.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Hooah4

Don't laugh but I spray my equipment with blue window cleaner. Ammonia is a great antiseptic. Between the alcohol mentioned and windex, you can save a ton of $$$. Just make sure that you aren't wearing your equipment right away!

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
fryer98

I'm curious as to why people care how bad their skates or other equipment smells? It's not like you're going to wear them to prom the next week.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:20 PM
bonnielad

Liberally spraying with Lysol will help get rid of the smell on untreated gear and make it easier to start with the alcohol spraying regiment. Make sure to get under the insole as a lot of sweat and bacteria will get into the actual footbed of the skate.

Barefoot here and loving it.

bonnielad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:42 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Used to wear a longer sock but they got holes in them by the big toe area after years of usage.

Just picked up some Hanes long thin socks and they work perfect. Very comfortable. Tried them today and got an assist!

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:43 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
I'm curious as to why people care how bad their skates or other equipment smells? It's not like you're going to wear them to prom the next week.
if something smells, nature's telling you to get away from it

it's not all about cosmetics, bacteria can be very hazardous to health

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=378102

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
My limit is when I can catch a wiff of one's stink as I skate past them. It becomes even more unnerving and distracting when I can't pinpoint exactly who it is.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:27 AM
SCritical

All I know is skating + bare feet = BLISTERS.

seriously though, use that foot odor spray in your skates when you're airing them out. Apparently you can use it on your feet before you skate like deoderant. To the poster that suggested using baby powder, that's like poor man's deoderant

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote