HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Lockout VII: I've walked for miles, my feet are hurting

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2013, 10:11 AM
  #1
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,490
vCash: 500
Lockout VII: I've walked for miles, my feet are hurting

Continue here.

Link to previous thread.

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 10:12 AM
  #2
mzappa
Jets fans in space
 
mzappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,290
vCash: 665
First!

There was hope for a deal about 48 hours ago, now......now I'm planning what to do with my season ticket refund money

mzappa is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 10:15 AM
  #3
McLlwain
Trevor Forever
 
McLlwain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cologne/Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412769

sources tell TSN that seven or eight unresolved issues remain, the three most meaningful ones being the second-year cap number, the length of player contacts and the players' pension.


Just 7 or 8 issues to hammer out..... And they are all going to be resolved in the next week? Just don't see it.
At this point, I think, both parties know exactly how far they would need to move on the remaining issues to cut a deal. There's no more time needed to sort things out. As of now they're both just trying until the very last moment to make the opposition move further.

McLlwain is online now  
Old
01-04-2013, 10:16 AM
  #4
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,703
vCash: 500
It still seems to be alot of egos and posturing between the 2 big boys...sign a deal and fire both of them...

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 10:22 AM
  #5
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,610
vCash: 500
I think a lot of it is coming down to the PA wanting to use the disclaimer as a threat, while the league thinks that:

1. They don't have the balls to do it.

2. If they DO do it, it's going to seriously backfire on them.

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 10:31 AM
  #6
rrasco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I think a lot of it is coming down to the PA wanting to use the disclaimer as a threat, while the league thinks that:

1. They don't have the balls to do it.

2. If they DO do it, it's going to seriously backfire on them.
Word was yesterday after the disclaimer threat went away, Bettman and the league went back to their old tricks, thus why the new vote was initiated, to put that threat back on the table. Of course, that just means it is a negotiating tactic, just like the lockout itself.

rrasco is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 10:35 AM
  #7
Conflicted Habs fan
Registered User
 
Conflicted Habs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 573
vCash: 147
Bettman reacted to the threat of "disclaimer of interest" last week by pretending to negotiate, only enough to use in courts to "prove" that he was actually negotiating, I think that lasted only a few days when they were going back and forth, however whenever the PA and NHL got close Bettman would either pull away or alter the conditions. Fehr caught on that a deal will not be closing, so the PA will file a disclaimer of interest. Its not a negotiating tact as many here are saying, it's for real, the PA are being pushed here by Bettman to settle this outside of the boardroom and into the courts.

Conflicted Habs fan is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 10:39 AM
  #8
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
Bettman reacted to the threat of "disclaimer of interest" last week by pretending to negotiate, only enough to use in courts to "prove" that he was actually negotiating, I think that lasted only a few days when they were going back and forth, however whenever the PA and NHL got close Bettman would either pull away or alter the conditions. Fehr caught on that a deal will not be closing, so the PA will file a disclaimer of interest. Its not a negotiating tact as many here are saying, it's for real, the PA are being pushed here by Bettman to settle this outside of the boardroom and into the courts.
The NHL could actually be doing a whole lot less and still be negotiating in the eyes of the courts. Courts aren't going to judge the substance of the offers. They're going to judge whether or not the NHL has participated in a process designed to bring the two sides together, regardless of which side moves. This is obviously the case.

People keep saying the NHL is not negotiating. But it's not true in a legal sense. Perhaps in your moral sense where you think their offers aren't morally okay for whatever reason.

haseoke39 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 10:47 AM
  #9
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrasco View Post
Word was yesterday after the disclaimer threat went away, Bettman and the league went back to their old tricks, thus why the new vote was initiated, to put that threat back on the table. Of course, that just means it is a negotiating tactic, just like the lockout itself.
I personally find that whole notion absolutely ridiculous. Like the concept that they could disclaim interest makes the NHL bargain then they suddenly stop when its not an imminant possibility. It's not like the NHL was unaware they could just re-vote to put it back on the table. The whole disclaimer has zero effect on negotiations, until its actually followed through with, which would likely cost the season.

cheswick is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 10:48 AM
  #10
Coffe
Registered User
 
Coffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrasco View Post
Word was yesterday after the disclaimer threat went away, Bettman and the league went back to their old tricks, thus why the new vote was initiated, to put that threat back on the table. Of course, that just means it is a negotiating tactic, just like the lockout itself.
I don't understand why they need another vote regarding a DOI as that isn't necessary for the PA in the first place, to show a united front towards the league?

Coffe is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
  #11
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffe View Post
I don't understand why they need another vote regarding a DOI as that isn't necessary for the PA in the first place, to show a united front towards the league?
That's the whole position of the league in their court fillings. Its like asking your boss to fire you instead of quitting. Decertification would be like quitting, but its a long and complicated process. Instead the union disclaiming interest would be like the union "firing" the players, but the fact the players are voting on it just reeks of negotiating tactic. At least thats how one lawyer described it.

cheswick is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 10:56 AM
  #12
BoltSTH
Registered User
 
BoltSTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,108
vCash: 500
If it goes to court can the mediators be called as witnesses? If so I would think their view of if who did, didn't do any negotiating in good faith would have a major impact on the ruling.

BoltSTH is online now  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:08 AM
  #13
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
If it goes to court can the mediators be called as witnesses? If so I would think their view of if who did, didn't do any negotiating in good faith would have a major impact on the ruling.
Speaking of the mediators...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...nald-fehr.html

The NHL and players’ union are meeting separately with a federal mediator on Friday but have no plans yet to negotiate.

Federal mediator Scot Beckenbaugh is talking with representatives from the NHL players' Association and league in an attempt to return the parties to the bargaining table after they spent most of Thursday apart.


No plans to talk or negotiate....

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:17 AM
  #14
rrasco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I personally find that whole notion absolutely ridiculous. Like the concept that they could disclaim interest makes the NHL bargain then they suddenly stop when its not an imminant possibility. It's not like the NHL was unaware they could just re-vote to put it back on the table. The whole disclaimer has zero effect on negotiations, until its actually followed through with, which would likely cost the season.
It is ridiculous, but those are the reports that were coming out yesterday. I honestly don't have any clue what's going on with these fools, I just want hockey already.

rrasco is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:30 AM
  #15
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,369
vCash: 500
Can anyone doubt now what would've happened if Bettman and the owners hadn't locked out the Season until a deal was made? We should all now clearly know that negotiations wouldn't half as far along as they are, and by Playoff time if the owners didn't give Fehr what he wants, there would be a strike. Sure, the fans would've got their Season, But No Playoffs. The players would've been paid, by the cash cow of the Playoffs would've been lost. Fehr's tactics should be clear to all by now. And that Bettman and the owners are getting mighty fed up with it... Just not soon enough for my liking.

MoreOrr is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:32 AM
  #16
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,126
vCash: 500
To summarize the Winnipeg Free Press article, if a deal isn't done by Thursday, Bettman will scrap the season then demand much more than 50% revenue split.


Nice, more brinkmanship from the league. Because this has worked so well every other time.

Ernie is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:35 AM
  #17
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
To summarize the Winnipeg Free Press article, if a deal isn't done by Thursday, Bettman will scrap the season then demand much more than 50% revenue split.


Nice, more brinkmanship from the league. Because this has worked so well every other time.
It hasn't worked because the owners have been spineless to get the Season started. It's such a limp dick method of negotiating, to say you won't concede further on a certain point and a few days or a week later you go right ahead and do the very thing you said you wouldn't do.


Last edited by MoreOrr: 01-04-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo
MoreOrr is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:36 AM
  #18
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Bettman is the worst commish in NHL history. 3 lockout, 1 lost season, a secong in danger. I hope he gets booed out of the next building he hands out the cup, or at the next draft. The owners got everything they wanted in the last lockout. And now they got a bunch of concessions from the players. What a joke this lockout is.

Undertakerqc is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:41 AM
  #19
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,210
vCash: 500
one more week of this crap and we can all carry on with our lives

I expect an announced deal by Thursday BTW

CantHaveTkachev is online now  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:46 AM
  #20
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Darn, I was hoping to be here for the 1000th post so I could set the new thread title to "Death Hills, starring G. Bettman and D. Fehr".


Last edited by Crease: 01-04-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Crease is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:46 AM
  #21
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Can anyone doubt now what would've happened if Bettman and the owners hadn't locked out the Season until a deal was made? We should all now clearly know that negotiations wouldn't half as far along as they are, and by Playoff time if the owners didn't give Fehr what he wants, there would be a strike. Sure, the fans would've got their Season, But No Playoffs. The players would've been paid, by the cash cow of the Playoffs would've been lost. Fehr's tactics should be clear to all by now. And that Bettman and the owners are getting mighty fed up with it... Just not soon enough for my liking.
Locking out the players was the only thing the NHL could have done. Doesn't matter if you agree with it or not, they had no choice. The NHL knew who they were going to be facing across the table and they had an idea what his tactics are.

If the NHL HAD agreed to play the season under the old CBA while trying to negotiate a new CBA, they wouldn't have even started talking at this point.

IMO if the NHL had said, fine lets play and negotiate, Fehr would have just told Bettman..." You know exactly what we are going to do just before the playoffs start, so let me know when you are ready to capitulate".

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:46 AM
  #22
MNNumbers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Can anyone doubt now what would've happened if Bettman and the owners hadn't locked out the Season until a deal was made? We should all now clearly know that negotiations wouldn't half as far along as they are, and by Playoff time if the owners didn't give Fehr what he wants, there would be a strike. Sure, the fans would've got their Season, But No Playoffs. The players would've been paid, by the cash cow of the Playoffs would've been lost. Fehr's tactics should be clear to all by now. And that Bettman and the owners are getting mighty fed up with it... Just not soon enough for my liking.
More - I know that this is what Fehr did in MLB. I wonder, though, if that was a different situation. MLB players had no CBA right to playoff money. In this case, the players get their cut of playoff income, too. That lessens the leverage they have for a late season strike.

I rather think, that, as long as the players could play under the old CBA, that's what they would do. In other words, just keep dragging out and dragging out until the CBA expired totally. It's their best move, money wise.

MNNumbers is online now  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:49 AM
  #23
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrasco View Post
Word was yesterday after the disclaimer threat went away, Bettman and the league went back to their old tricks, thus why the new vote was initiated, to put that threat back on the table. Of course, that just means it is a negotiating tactic, just like the lockout itself.
Meh, they simply ripped a page from Fehr's playbook and moved the goal posts like he has many times.

KINGS17 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 11:51 AM
  #24
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
The players would've been paid, by the cash cow of the Playoffs would've been lost.
It doesn't work that way in a linkage world. If playoff revenue goes *poof*, player revenue goes *poof*.

 
Old
01-04-2013, 11:53 AM
  #25
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Bettman is the worst commish in NHL history. 3 lockout, 1 lost season, a secong in danger. I hope he gets booed out of the next building he hands out the cup, or at the next draft. The owners got everything they wanted in the last lockout. And now they got a bunch of concessions from the players. What a joke this lockout is.
I'd argue he's the worst commissioner in any sport not just the NHL. Fehr is his equivalent on the union side. The only positive out of all of this ia that with a 10 year CBA both of these clowns will be gone by the next time we face a new CBA.

vanwest is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.