HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton Mako 2

Old
01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Greasy Sliders

vCash: 500
Easton Mako 2

Anyone know when it's coming out ? I'm looking forward to it, and it's supposed to be coming soon , but I haven't seen anything. HM doesn't have any advertisemt up either.

Greasy Sliders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Ozz

Tomorrow

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:28 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

It is the first thing on Total Hockey's main page. Looks like Ozz was right and you can buy it now.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Fanned On It

We just got ours in today... what's the deal with all of the blade patterns now being labeled as "E3, E7, etc" as opposed to P3, P7, etc?

I remember seeing that Easton video for their new blade pattern they had coming out but I haven't done much research into it, yet.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Seems like Easton is finally moving to numbered patterns versus named patterns. Which is long overdue.

If I were in charge over there I'd go to 3-4 digits so you can search the patterns on the internet. Worked well for Bauer. I'd also go with numbers that are fairly recognizable, like:

E05 = Lidstrom
E09 = Modano
E12 = Iginla
E15 = Heatley
E19 = Sakic
E23 = Drury

But what do I know.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:38 AM
jsykes

They're using the same numbers they have all along, they just changed to an E instead of a P for some reason.

We got our Makos in and the low end sticks still have the names on them, the Makos have just the number. Stealth sticks still have both, so those probably wont change over to number only till next release of those.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:39 AM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If I were in charge over there I'd go to 3-4 digits so you can search the patterns on the internet. Worked well for Bauer. I'd also go with numbers that are fairly recognizable, like:

E05 = Lidstrom
E09 = Modano
E12 = Iginla
E15 = Heatley
E19 = Sakic
E23 = Drury
Why would those be recognizable? They seem just as random as anything.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:39 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
I dunno, Bauer's three most popular curves (PM9, P88 and P92) seem to be easy to remember for a lot of people. Warrior uses their W_ _ nomenclature, but people don't recognize those and still are confused over the names.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:46 AM
do0glas

I may remember the name, but ill typically still refer to a blade chart for comparison etc before i take a leap on one.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:20 PM
lilphill23

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
They are reconizable becuase the number is the number on each player's jersey.

lilphill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Using player names worked well when they used guys who played for 10-15 years and didn't switch companies. Now they change the name every year. Just go to numbers.

Maybe they went from P_ to E_ to avoid confusion vs Bauer.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:29 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilphill23 View Post
They are reconizable becuase the number is the number on each player's jersey.
Ahh. Well I work in the industry and thought that might be the case, but I dont think the majority of people would have a clue. I didnt and am surrounded by hockey daily.

I think with curve numbers its just a matter of getting people to remember them as there is no way to really make them mean anything substantial.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
jsykes

Quote:

That would make sense, just trying to make it clear as no one else uses E.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:35 PM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Did anyone think they went from "P" to "E" for the sake of E standing for Easton? That's the very first thing I think of when I see it.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That would make sense, yes.

The trouble with the names as they are (were?) is you tell a beginner "try a mild curve like a Modano." But then Easton changes the name to "Forsberg" when Modano switches to Reebok. And then someone wants to know the difference between Modano and Forsberg.

Or when Easton brought back the old Shanahan curve and called it the Cammalleri, then discontinued it and renamed the Zetterberg the Cammalleri when Zetterberg went to Warrior. And now the Warrior Zetterberg is a copy of the P88.

Ugh.

Funny when I started playing 7-8 years ago it was always Modano, Sakic, Lindros curves...Now we talk about PM9, P92, and P88 more often. Smart move for Bauer I think.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:04 PM
AIREAYE

It's easier to type 'P92' as opposed to 'Backstrom' lol

Having a customer ask for a 'PM9 in Easton' or a 'P14' is slightly easier than 'Cammalleri' or 'Toews' curve as one would inevitably have to ask for further clarification.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:41 PM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:

The trouble with the names as they are (were?) is you tell a beginner "try a mild curve like a Modano." But then Easton changes the name to "Forsberg" when Modano switches to Reebok. And then someone wants to know the difference between Modano and Forsberg.

Or when Easton brought back the old Shanahan curve and called it the Cammalleri, then discontinued it and renamed the Zetterberg the Cammalleri when Zetterberg went to Warrior. And now the Warrior Zetterberg is a copy of the P88.

Ugh.

Funny when I started playing 7-8 years ago it was always Modano, Sakic, Lindros curves...Now we talk about PM9, P92, and P88 more often. Smart move for Bauer I think.
You forgot about Ovechkin getting a curve from Bauer now. Oh these silly companies using players to sell products.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:19 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
You forgot about Ovechkin getting a curve from Bauer now. Oh these silly companies using players to sell products.
All Bauer curves have a player name, but they also have a code, and that code stays constant even when they use a new player name to promote the stick. For example, when you buy a Bauer stick, on the shaft you'll see "P92 Backstrom" or "P08 Ovechkin." Even if they change the player name in the future, it's still easy to know which curve is which because the code will be the same (for example, in the future we might see the "P92 MacKinnon" or something like that, but we'll know it's still a P92).

In contrast, Easton just displays the player name, without the code, i.e. simply "Sakic," "Iginla," "Zetterberg," etc. When they change the player associated with the curve for marketing reasons, it's confusing because there's no . As Jarick mentioned, for example, the Modano became the Forsberg, then the Zetterberg, then Cammalleri. But it's extra confusing because there used to be ANOTHER Easton Cammalleri, which was a completely different curve (Shanny clone), and now Warrior have a Zetterberg curve of their own, also a completely different curve (P88 clone). If they simply displayed a code beside the name like Bauer does, we could easily refer to a "PM9", not a Modano/Forsberg/Zetterberg/Cammalleri.

By the way Easton are constantly referring to their new curve as the "E28," it seems that they've caught on, and will also be going with a code system from now on.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:13 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

I don't think a reference to Semin here would help them..

Nah just playing. I don't like Easton sticks so i'm pumped for the Easton Mako skate though. Wow does that thing look cool. Only skate in my opinion that is worth that price point.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Been using this at work just shooting around. My first impression is that it's the best stick I've ever used. Unreal balance and torque when shooting. Very light. The one flaw I notice already is its really whippy. The 100 flex feels like 85 to me.

Those are my initial thoughts on the twig.

EDIT- feels a lot like the rs line then the previous mako sticks.

Last edited by Joey Moss: 01-04-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:35 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Been using this at work just shooting around. My first impression is that it's the best stick I've ever used. Unreal balance and torque when shooting. Very light. The one flaw I notice already is its really whippy. The 100 flex feels like 85 to me.

Those are my initial thoughts on the twig.

EDIT- feels a lot like the rs line then the previous mako sticks.
I've heard from many people they like RS but hate Mako. So that could be why.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Saw this stick at the Wild scrimmage. It REALLY jumps out with that bright orange paint near the bottom. Easton seems to be doing their homework in terms of making sticks that catch your eye (Easton RS with the yellow).

Old
01-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:

Ugh.

When I started, I was ALL about the Draper!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:08 AM
neksys

This is a bit off-topic, but I have always thought the industry could use a standard naming convention for sticks. I use an Easton stick, not because I especially like Easton, but because I don't have the patience to pore over stick charts to find the most similar curve in another brand. These companies should make it easier for us to switch to them - not harder!

It would be as simple as assigning a name or letter to the key curve features (lie, curve, face, toe, length).

The PM9 might be called the "5BX1M".

Lie 5, curve B (that's arbitrary, but could be the code for mid-heel), X for open, 1 for round (0 for flat), M for medium length. At a glance I know exactly what I am getting.

Same goes for the PM92 - we might call it the "6DX1M" (6 lie, mid-toe "D", open face "X", round toe "1", med length "M") and see very quickly the similarities and differences.

If I generally like the PM92 but want a longer blade and a mid-heel curve instead of a mid-toe, I don't need to be searching the internet, I can look at a P91A (let's call it the "6BY1L") and know right away that it is close what I am looking for.

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:26 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
All Bauer curves have a player name, but they also have a code, and that code stays constant even when they use a new player name to promote the stick. For example, when you buy a Bauer stick, on the shaft you'll see "P92 Backstrom" or "P08 Ovechkin." Even if they change the player name in the future, it's still easy to know which curve is which because the code will be the same (for example, in the future we might see the "P92 MacKinnon" or something like that, but we'll know it's still a P92).

In contrast, Easton just displays the player name, without the code, i.e. simply "Sakic," "Iginla," "Zetterberg," etc. When they change the player associated with the curve for marketing reasons, it's confusing because there's no . As Jarick mentioned, for example, the Modano became the Forsberg, then the Zetterberg, then Cammalleri. But it's extra confusing because there used to be ANOTHER Easton Cammalleri, which was a completely different curve (Shanny clone), and now Warrior have a Zetterberg curve of their own, also a completely different curve (P88 clone). If they simply displayed a code beside the name like Bauer does, we could easily refer to a "PM9", not a Modano/Forsberg/Zetterberg/Cammalleri.

By the way Easton are constantly referring to their new curve as the "E28," it seems that they've caught on, and will also be going with a code system from now on.

easton had codes associated with their curves you just had to look for them

p3 was sakic
p4 was the pm9

and so on

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote