HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Name a city you were surprised to see another fan of the NHL

Old
01-03-2013, 05:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Myself, I'm a Flames fan living in Pennsylvania!

?

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post

?
Brandon Dicamillo

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:38 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Brandon Dicamillo

Well how many can there be right?

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:18 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Once had a nice chat about the Dallas Stars with a fan at a pool bar in Cancun Mexico.

Last edited by iPunch: 02-01-2013 at 10:16 PM.
iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
Was in Europe for a trip over the winter break and saw a guy wearing a NY Rangers hat.
Asked him whether he was a rangers fan. I pointed at his hat and he took it off and looked at it and then pretty much said that he didn't know who the rangers were.

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:31 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Last month when I was driving back home from Orlando, Florida I spent the night in a town called Lima, Ohio which is about 2 hours from Cincinnati. Anyway that night I was having dinner at an Olive Garden and as I was walking to where my table was I happen to see someone wearing a Jeff Carter Columbus Blue Jackets jersey. I thought to myself what are the odd's off seeing another NHL fan in a small city like that, because Columbus is a fair distance from Lima and their local Walmart store doesn't sell anything Blue Jackets related. All they had was Ohio State, Cincinnati Reds and Cincinnati Bengals merchandise for sale. So has anyone ever been in a small town and was surprised to see another NHL fan?
Lima isn't that far away. In fact, it's probably closer to Columbus than it is to Cincy. At most, it might be 80-90 mi from Columbus. My hometown is about the same distance and is probably just as small and there are Penguins jerseys everywhere.

Not much of a surprise in my opinion.

Last edited by iamjs: 01-03-2013 at 09:39 PM.
iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Well, i know there is at least one NHL-fan in the Netherlands. What that tells us is we should'nt be surprised that the greatest game on earth sometimes finds its ways to someone living in any hockey neverland.
And old ex from Holland was a big Habs fan. Asked her why the Habs? She said the history, great team and all that. Had so much gear! We hit it off great!

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

In LA at a Rush concert I saw a Sabres fan. Man was she ... very attractive

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:37 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

i saw a turtle wearing a sean avery jersey so i picked him up and put him on his back... in cement.

for serious tho i saw a sharks fan when i visited my bro at ucla.

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:41 AM
dahrougem2

I'm Lebanese, so when I went to Lebanon this past summer I encountered a restaurant that had a bunch of hockey pictures everywhere, and it was mostly Flames merchandise. And this wasn't the capital city of Beirut either, it was a town of about 3,000 people

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:46 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slot 3 View Post
I wouldn't be too surprised. There are a lot of Canadian expatriates in Hong Kong. Plenty of fans of Canadian teams.
Yup. A good chunk of the Vancouver population are 1st/2nd generation people from Hong Kong and a lot of them spend time there so it isn't surprising to see some "exporting" of hockey happening.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:08 AM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
I'm Lebanese, so when I went to Lebanon this past summer I encountered a restaurant that had a bunch of hockey pictures everywhere, and it was mostly Flames merchandise. And this wasn't the capital city of Beirut either, it was a town of about 3,000 people
What city? I'm prolly visiting back home next summer and definitely would want to see that

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:40 AM
mercury

I gave a compliment to a young African-American gentleman in Philadelphia rocking this Sakic jersey:

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:48 AM
CatOTails

Here in Liepaja, Latvia (relatively small town) we have a pub named Atlanta Thrashers.

CatOTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:24 AM
Minor Boarding

About 10 years ago on my Croatian island Rab vacation I saw a guy wearing a Buffalo Sabres jersey (The Hasek era one)...

Minor Boarding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

i don't know if vacation spottings at tourist destinations should count...but along those lines - i typically will wear a penguins t-shirt every single day of vacation. the penguins and their fans are hated, and it's fun to antagonize. over the years i've come to find that penguin apparrel gets me more dirty looks than steeler apparrel.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Shoes View Post
i don't know if vacation spottings at tourist destinations should count...but along those lines - i typically will wear a penguins t-shirt every single day of vacation. the penguins and their fans are hated, and it's fun to antagonize. over the years i've come to find that penguin apparrel gets me more dirty looks than steeler apparrel.
The only penguins stuff that legitimately pisses me off is cooke and crosby stuff. I hate football so any football stuff annoys me. There are certain teams that if you even sport a hat or socks or something people will hate you. It's amazing

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Saw some knucklehead wearing a Canucks jersey in London, UK

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Emory Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Last month when I was driving back home from Orlando, Florida I spent the night in a town called Lima, Ohio which is about 2 hours from Cincinnati. Anyway that night I was having dinner at an Olive Garden and as I was walking to where my table was I happen to see someone wearing a Jeff Carter Columbus Blue Jackets jersey. I thought to myself what are the odd's off seeing another NHL fan in a small city like that, because Columbus is a fair distance from Lima and their local Walmart store doesn't sell anything Blue Jackets related. All they had was Ohio State, Cincinnati Reds and Cincinnati Bengals merchandise for sale. So has anyone ever been in a small town and was surprised to see another NHL fan?
Been a lurker for a while, but decided to create an account after seeing this post as Lima is my hometown! It is quite a small town, but there is still a decent hockey following there. Not the best choice of town to stop in though, you are quite the brave soldier!

Emory Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:14 AM
gja

I was drinking at a cafe in Dubrovnik, Croatia when a local came up to me and starting excitedly talking about Joe Sakic (pronounced Sak-eech). The Canadian flag on my pack and my Canucks hat was enough to satisfy this guy that I would be able to talk Sakic with him. I don't speak Croatian, so I didn't understand much of what was said, except that Croatians are very proud of Burnaby Joe.

gja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:31 AM
FlutteringSaucer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Last time i saw NHL gear in Finland was when i was in kindergarden and friend had mighty ducks pencil holder..
Where the hell do you live if you didn't see any NHL snapbacks last summer in Finland?

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:57 AM
cynicism

When I lived in the UK (Birmingham) I met a Sabres fan

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

I live in the middle of nowhere in a small town in South Carolina. Saw a couple of people wearing Caps shirts at the gas station not too long ago.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
Was in Europe for a trip over the winter break and saw a guy wearing a NY Rangers hat.
Asked him whether he was a rangers fan. I pointed at his hat and he took it off and looked at it and then pretty much said that he didn't know who the rangers were.

It's not uncommon around here... a lot of the "hip swagger etc" kids wear these snapbacks with the stupid stickers on it of north american sports teams, mainly basketball and baseball. The kings and rags seem to be the most "popular" hockey teams.

I always thought these kids had no idea what they are wearing... nice to see it confirmed

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Anton13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post
Where the hell do you live if you didn't see any NHL snapbacks last summer in Finland?
Was coming to post this. There are NHL fans even in the smallest Finnish village. It sound so ridiculous I thought he was joking. Other people are posting places from Africa and Asia and he comes up with Finland, probably the hockey craziest nation after Canada

Anton13 is online now   Reply With Quote