HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General WJC Talk Thread - "Hoto doesn't like Editions" Edition

Old
01-04-2013, 02:00 AM
jujustan

vCash: 500
Hey I was just thinking since our golden hopes for 2013 are done maybe trying to see what the 2014 line-up might look like would be fun so here's mine of course this is a line-up with all available players and I also included the players age when the tournament will begin

Offense:
Drouin(18)-Mckinnon(18)- Mantha(19)
Hudon(19)-Shinkaruk(19)- Wilson(19)
Monahan(19)-Laughton(19)- Domi(18)
Khaira(19)-Gaunce(19)-Rychel(19)
Athenasiou(19)

Defense:
Reilly(19)-Reinhart(19)
Pouliot(19)-Dumba(19)
Koekkoek(19)-Pulock(19)
Matheson(19)

Goalies:
Patterson(19)
Driedger(19)
Fucale(18)

I based my team on Canada's historic pick's, players participations in international competitions such as U-17 and U-18 championships, the stats of the players thanks to Hockeydb and a couple of LHJMQ games I've watched. Anyways hope to hear back get some feedback

jujustan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Me too. I really like his hockey sense as well. He's very smart and poised. His passing is very good, and I like his shot too. Really good player, very intriguing.

I don't think he's a late round pick at this point. I usually see him ranked in the second. I'd probably have him there too.
You usually see him ranked in the second round by scouting services...trust me...most "real" scouts see Wennberg as a first rounder. Personally - I think he's a top ten candidate. One of the smartest players in the draft, good size, good skater, excellent defensively, good vision. Frankly I've been shocked that people haven't had him in their top 30...I have a feeling he he will be there now.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I just hope it calms down people with their analysis of Grigorenko. In no way should he have drop the way he did in the draft. No freakin way.
Get back to us after the playoffs. :-) Actually - get back to us after an NHL playoff, not a junior all-star tournament played on an Olympic ice surface where you get two minutes for being too strong.

He scored two goals thus far - not exactly earth shattering for a guy with his skill level. He's still not playing a physical game at all despite his size, he won't get his nose dirty very often. How many puck battles has he won? There is certainly skill there, always has been, but the issues he had last season are still issues now.

I want to see how he does this spring versus Rimouski and/or Halifax before I start making any definitive statements on Grigs and where he should or shouldn't have been drafted. Even then things will still be in doubt..no one can predict his NHL career. History has taught us that it's far too early to be making such definitive statements about who should have been drafted where. six months after the draft.

At this point I'd still rather start a CHL playoff game with Laughton than I would Grigorenko...maybe he'll change my mind in a few months.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Get back to us after the playoffs. :-) Actually - get back to us after an NHL playoff, not a junior all-star tournament played on an Olympic ice surface where you get two minutes for being too strong.

He scored two goals thus far - not exactly earth shattering for a guy with his skill level. He's still not playing a physical game at all despite his size, he won't get his nose dirty very often. How many puck battles has he won? There is certainly skill there, always has been, but the issues he had last season are still issues now.

I want to see how he does this spring versus Rimouski and/or Halifax before I start making any definitive statements on Grigs and where he should or shouldn't have been drafted. Even then things will still be in doubt..no one can predict his NHL career. History has taught us that it's far too early to be making such definitive statements about who should have been drafted where. six months after the draft.

At this point I'd still rather start a CHL playoff game with Laughton than I would Grigorenko...maybe he'll change my mind in a few months.
He's always struck me as the type that does great against weak teams when things are easy but he won't be the guy outmuscling the all-star d-man off the puck and setting up a game winner in a big game.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post

Just expressing an opinion on a player that I think was bashed heavily for no real reasons. If we had to wait for some NHL playoffs to make a comment about everybody, we wouldn't have a board. So I guess he will have to understand the physicality part of the game and I know it's not a small feature. To have seen him play so far, I think that will he's not your big time physical initiator, I don't see him shying away from it either. It takes everything in a team and he's one element you could more easily pinpoint in a top 6 while Laughton, who I also like very much, it might not be as clear. I would also go in a playoff with Laughton....centering my 3rd line à la Kris Draper. But I hope I'd have my talent in the top 6 to put the puck in the net. And if he ends up more of playmaking centerman than a scorer, well there are players like that as well in the league.

I believe that 2012 isn't 2013. If it was, I would have less of a tougher time to have Grigorenko leave at 10. But Reinhart and Pouliot ahead of him makes no sense whatsoever. Koekkoek was a gamble, but I would have also gamble on Grigo instead. But that's just my take. I'm not a professionnal scout, so please bare with me. I know that with the question marks he had before, in no way was he still a #1 candidate. But if we base ourselves on your analysis of Grigs....what do we think of Yakupov? Is the one trick pony, wannabe Ovechkin deserved his #1 spot? I do love his speed, balance, offensive instincts but enough to be #1? Or actually was it enough, but in 2012. If Yakupov is in the 2013 draft...where does he go? But it's also understandable to know why he left #1.

I have to say that I usually don't change or have a new evaluation on a player after a tournament like that. I agree, you don't have a good evaluation of a player after such a short stint. If so Rielly and Hamilton would be future AHL'ers, Gaudreau, future NHL star that should have been picked #1, Jerry D'Amigo would already be a 40-goal scorer in the NHL and Justin Pogge would have already won 3 Vezina trophies etc. But I had a high opinion on Grigo all year long LAST YEAR saying that, in the debate of Grigo vs Gally, that Gally was CLEARLY the way to go for us....but Grigo wasn't the slouch that some thought he was. Again just my impression.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-04-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Which 2012 draft picks are eligible to play in next year's WJC? Or perhaps more aptly, who's not?

Anyone? Much appreciated.
Anyone born in 1994 can comeback. 1993's can't.

For Canada, from the 2012 draft, the 1993's are Malcolm Subban, Ryan Murray and Cody Ceci. Everyone else can comeback.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:17 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujustan View Post
Hey I was just thinking since our golden hopes for 2013 are done maybe trying to see what the 2014 line-up might look like would be fun so here's mine of course this is a line-up with all available players and I also included the players age when the tournament will begin

Offense:
Athenasiou(19)

Defense:
Reilly(19)-Reinhart(19)
Pouliot(19)-Dumba(19)
Koekkoek(19)-Pulock(19)
Matheson(19)

Goalies:
Patterson(19)
Driedger(19)
Fucale(18)

I based my team on Canada's historic pick's, players participations in international competitions such as U-17 and U-18 championships, the stats of the players thanks to Hockeydb and a couple of LHJMQ games I've watched. Anyways hope to hear back get some feedback
Next year's first line should be:

Drouin-Monaghan-Mackinnon

Also, I think D.Altshuller from Oshawa will have a chance to be in net.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Next year's first line should be:

Drouin-Monaghan-Mackinnon

Also, I think D.Altshuller from Oshawa will have a chance to be in net.
1 to 3 of those guys could be in the NHL. At least 2 will be top 5 picks if not all 3.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
1 to 3 of those guys could be in the NHL. At least 2 will be top 5 picks if not all 3.
This

If anything I can see Canada icing a weaker team.

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:22 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
I still can't believe we got Collberg, Bozon and Thrower in the second round.
Hudon and Vail too... All 5 of those guys were listed to go in the 1st round at one point or another last year...

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:25 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:

Offense:
Athenasiou(19)

Defense:
Reilly(19)-Reinhart(19)
Pouliot(19)-Dumba(19)
Koekkoek(19)-Pulock(19)
Matheson(19)

Goalies:
Patterson(19)
Driedger(19)
Fucale(18)

Gauthier, Carrier and Duclair should be close to make that lineup.

Defense looks rather solid.

Fucale is my #1 Goaltender. Wouldn't be surprised to see Desrosiers from Rimouski invited either.

Dillon Fournier, Bussières and Beauvilier should also be in the talks to make that team.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Bozon was a 3rd rounder.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Gauthier, Carrier and Duclair should be close to make that lineup.

Defense looks rather solid.

Fucale is my #1 Goaltender. Wouldn't be surprised to see Desrosiers from Rimouski invited either.

Dillon Fournier, Bussières and Beauvilier should also be in the talks to make that team.
Bussieres and Beauvillier are 1993's so ineligible.

The Q will have a ton of candidates with a crazy deep draft class this year...Morin, Murphy, Poirier, Roy, Dauphin, Dunn should all be solid candidates next year.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:36 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Bussieres and Beauvillier are 1993's so ineligible.

The Q will have a ton of candidates with a crazy deep draft class this year...Morin, Murphy, Poirier, Roy, Dauphin, Dunn should all be solid candidates next year.
Thanks for pointing that out, wasn't really sure, but still put them in my list.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Pelech and Leipsic would seem like decent candidates to make the team too IMHO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:20 PM
That

Quote:

Offense:
Athenasiou(19)

Defense:
Reilly(19)-Reinhart(19)
Pouliot(19)-Dumba(19)
Koekkoek(19)-Pulock(19)
Matheson(19)

Goalies:
Patterson(19)
Driedger(19)
Fucale(18)

Good team.

Aaron Ekblad should make it. Despite being 16 he's the best defenceman on the Barrie Colts. Like Blind Gardien said, Brendan Leipsic should make the team as well. I'd definitely prefer him on Athanasiou.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:19 PM
SOLR

We'll have to have the McDavid conversation for next year as well. It seems like we could ice an older group and Connor would be surrounded.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:31 PM
DAChampion

How good is Connor McDavid going to be? Does he have Crosby potential?

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Bozon was a 3rd rounder.
True. On most lists I saw he was going in the second round nonetheless.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:10 PM
gusfring

Quote:
I doubt it. None are ready for the NHL at this point.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
How good is Connor McDavid going to be? Does he have Crosby potential?
He is Tavares good

Old
01-04-2013, 04:06 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
It's even more impressive since Bozon was a 3rd round pick.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:08 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
He is Tavares good
Let's try and rank NHL centers, approximately,

1-5:
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Toews
Tavares

6-10:
Giroux
Datsyuk
Sedin
N. Backstrom
Kopitar

11-15:
Nugent-Hopkins
Spezza
J. Thornton
Tyler Seguin
B. Richards

Honourables:
Elias, Getzlaf, Plekanec, Lecavalier, Couture, Bergeron, Krejci, J. Carter, E. Staal

So you're saying Connor McDavid can be a top-5 center? That's high praise !

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Let's try and rank NHL centers, approximately,

1-5:
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Toews
Tavares

6-10:
Giroux
Datsyuk
Sedin
N. Backstrom
Kopitar

11-15:
Nugent-Hopkins
Spezza
J. Thornton
Tyler Seguin
B. Richards

Honourables:
Elias, Getzlaf, Plekanec, Lecavalier, Couture, Bergeron, Krejci, J. Carter, E. Staal

So you're saying Connor McDavid can be a top-5 center? That's high praise !
Although I'd say Tavares isn't top 5 yet, McDavid is still that good.

His skating and vision is fantastic for a 15 year old, and his ability to win battles and make smart, skilled plays against older players is great.

He isn't Crosby, but he's definitely elite.

Obviously he is young and it's quite the projection but he has impressed me when I've seen him.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:31 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Huberdeau's a rag doll.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote