HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 01:18 AM
SephF
Visually Better

vCash: 500
This kid is the real deal, his skill level and IQ is off the charts.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:31 AM
WarriorofTime

I'm definitely more of a believer in Gaudreau than I was when this thread started. Small guys have a chance to make it when they are as skilled and possess the hockey IQ Gaudreau has shown. I think he's the real deal.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:56 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

This kid is the flavor of the week. Last year it was Mark Stone.

Many of the goals I've seen him score, he won't be able to do against the top Dmen in the NHL. His skillset makes fools out of boys, but when he plays against men, it's less likely to translate. Given that he is a top 6 guy or bust, he would mostly be playing against other teams top 4 Dmen, making his chances even slimmer.

Yes, Martin St-Louis, Tyler Ennis and David Desharnais exist... but for every one of those, there are 100's if not 1000's of Corey Locke's.

I'm not saying he's going to be Corey Locke. I'm not saying he's not going to be Ennis. I'm just sating it's stupid to speculate how good a guy like this will be, because his size makes it almost impossible to predict.

And for the record... he looks shorter than Grimaldi, and 2 months ago, people were saying Grimaldi > Gaudreau. Funny how one tournament can make a guy a superstar, lol
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1266933

Old
01-04-2013, 03:06 AM
Sean Monahan
#boring

vCash: 50
^
I think that has more to do with people not actually seeing him play and him being a Calgary prospect

Old
01-04-2013, 03:10 AM
nogger
Missed the Net AINEC

He's dominating the NCAA as well and they really aren't 'boys' over there.

What more do people want?

Old
01-04-2013, 03:17 AM
Ashasx

When I saw him at the Flames summer camp, he was a good 1-2 inches taller than me, and I'm a little shy of 5'6".

I figure he's closer to 5'8" than 5'6", probably around 5'7.5".

Two summers ago when the Flames first drafted him, he couldn't have been much more than 5'6", so he did grow a bit.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:53 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Can you imagine if Johhny DOES hit the growth spurt...
he does look like he haven't gone through puberty yet...

Old
01-04-2013, 03:56 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
I think it's ridiculous people would suggest he's only worth a second rounder. He's a top scorer in the WJC and NCAA. Why would the Flames trade that sort of promise for a 2nd or even a 1st rounder? They should keep him, he's worth more to them than to any potential suitors.
flames already made the mistake getting rid of another small guy called Martin St Louis. Perhaps they've learned and pull the Theo Fleury route for Johnny Hockey.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:19 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
^
I think that has more to do with people not actually seeing him play and him being a Calgary prospect
That's true - it does seem to be a likely factor. Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post

There's nothing more he can do. He's doing as well as he realistically can, but it's still almost impossible to predict the next step for him.

Will he be St.Louis - probably not.. that's pushing it
Will he be Ennis or Sulliavan.. maybe
Will he be an AHL star... maybe

Everything looks good, but he's still small. If he keeps proving people wrong... great, but history is against him, and history has taken down many just like him before.

I honestly don't think it's fair to say he will or will not be good at the NHL level. I'm just saying the chances are slim given his style of play and size. He's very very skilled though, and that's the only reason he's even a thought.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:31 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Stay on topic, this is a John Gaudreau thread not sam gagner value evaluation.

01-04-2013, 05:30 AM
PZA
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

The guy looks 12 years old... seems like his testosterone potential hasn't been reached yet... I have a feeling he'll grow maybe a couple inches and gain some size in the next few years.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:34 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post

Many of the goals I've seen him score, he won't be able to do against the top Dmen in the NHL. His skillset makes fools out of boys, but when he plays against men, it's less likely to translate. Given that he is a top 6 guy or bust, he would mostly be playing against other teams top 4 Dmen, making his chances even slimmer.

Yes, Martin St-Louis, Tyler Ennis and David Desharnais exist... but for every one of those, there are 100's if not 1000's of Corey Locke's.

I'm not saying he's going to be Corey Locke. I'm not saying he's not going to be Ennis. I'm just sating it's stupid to speculate how good a guy like this will be, because his size makes it almost impossible to predict.

And for the record... he looks shorter than Grimaldi, and 2 months ago, people were saying Grimaldi > Gaudreau. Funny how one tournament can make a guy a superstar, lol
Most people have been high on Gaudreau since he tore apart the NCAA as a freshmen last year. And now he's improved on those numbers as a sophomore and just had the 3 most prolific games in US WJC history, all in elimination games against good to great teams.

I agree his size makes him a bit tough to predict, but really no more so than Patrick Kane, who had like the exact same build but was like 1-2 inches taller.

The biggest thing Gaudreau needs to work on is his top speed. He's obviously quick but lacks top end NHL power.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post

People will repeat aphorisms about small players rather than assessing Gaudreau as an individual player.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:09 AM
FrankMTL

He's got great skill, but these small players are so hard to project...For every Brian Gionta, there's a Corey Locke, Brandon Reid and Jordan Schroeder. I've been impressed by him, but i'll hold off judgement until I see him at a higher level.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Broad Street Elite

There is absolutely nothing the kid can do at this point before playing at the NHl or, at least, the AHL level. The knock is that his game doesn't translate to the highest levels of the sport. That's a fair stance given the past failings of other diminuitive prospects.

My opinion is that Gaudreau will be an NHL caliber player, but I would personally be surprised (pleasantly) if his game translates enough at the NHL to be a star. I'm not a Calgary fan at all, but it's easy to cheer for a kid who has been told his whole life that he can't do what he wants and has thus far proven the naysayers wrong.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:45 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Nathan Gerbe also tore apart the NCAA at, that's right, Boston College.
Average player in the NHL sure but he will never be more than that.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
bsmith14

Ennis, St. Louis, Desharnais, Fleury, Gerbe all are either ridiculously fast and shifty, or very very strong, or both. How does Gaudreau`s footspeed compare to Ennis? I know his hands and IQ are great. Also a guy like Ennis is fearless when playing against the biggest defenders, does Gaudreau compare in that area?

Old
01-04-2013, 11:28 AM
SaintMorose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Nathan Gerbe also tore apart the NCAA at, that's right, Boston College.
Average player in the NHL sure but he will never be more than that.
Just as a comparison to gerbe doing the same thing...

Gerbe rookie at BC 39GP 11-7-18
Gaudreau same age rookie at BC 44GP 21-23-44 + 2 MVP awards

the next year Gerbe broke out
41GP 25-22-47 1.1pts/game

so far Johnny Hockey
14GP 11-12-23 1.6pts/game still leading the league in goals + leader in goals at WJC while he's away from hockey east

at the WJC...
0goals in 2 years for Gerbe
at least 7goals in 1 year for Gaudreau

Gaudreau now listed as 5'9" in places (I don't think he is but I do think he'll likely grow to it)

So I'm going to continue to think his ceiling is a bit higher than becoming Nathan Gerbe (not that Gerbe is a bad player)

Old
01-04-2013, 11:37 AM
bsmith14

Thing about Gaudreau is how physically immature he looks. This is a good thing. At 19 Gerbe was 5'5" but was built like a man. Gaudreau may not grow a lot more but he certainely is not done developing. If he can do what he is doing while being that young looking then I can imagine by 24 years old he will be that much faster and stronger.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:52 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Ennis, St. Louis, Desharnais, Fleury, Gerbe all are either ridiculously fast and shifty, or very very strong, or both. How does Gaudreau`s footspeed compare to Ennis? I know his hands and IQ are great. Also a guy like Ennis is fearless when playing against the biggest defenders, does Gaudreau compare in that area?
He is not as fast as Ennis but same level agility. But Ennis plays a higher tempo game in comparison where JG might be more cerebral.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:20 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Yeah, as someone who's watched a lot of Ennis, Gudreau seems more deliberate while Tyler is more chaotic and skittering.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:25 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post

for every bobby ryan/james neal/pat marleua there is 100's of benoit pouliot's. its no different for any other player, not just short ones.

and its not just ome tourney. its last season for bostom, this season for boston, the wjc's, outscoring him in the ushl...

his iq is off the charts and hes excelled at every level hes played. hes got a pn eberle like knack for the game. and eberle isnt much bigger,

Old
01-04-2013, 01:16 PM
CaptainCrunch67

There's no pressure for the Flames to push him into the pro's, he'll continue to develop in one of the best coached programs in the NCAA, who knows what kind of leaps this kid will take both physically and hockey wise over the next 2 and a half seasons.

This kid is what you call a intriguing prospect, you don't trade him at any point unless the offer makes real sense and since the Flames need good prospects the offers aren't going to make sense.

In terms of value as a fourth round pick, his value is off the charts.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:17 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Kid is like 5 foot nothing. I hardly expect his game to translate as well to the NHL.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:49 PM
bloggerfanthe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Kid is like 5 foot nothing. I hardly expect his game to translate as well to the NHL.

Closed Thread