HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2013, 12:24 PM
  #226
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?
 
Nizdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
So it was all Thomas & Chara? What about Bergeron, Seguin, Horton, Lucic, Marchand... they all played pretty significant roles during that playoff run.



A lot of leaf & habs fans were cheering for Vancouver, leaf fans because of Seguin/the Kessel trade and habs fans because of the rivalry.
It couldn't have been because of the divisional rivalry thing

Nizdizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:24 PM
  #227
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
I hate all the other Canadian teams(more so their fan bases) so no chance in hell am I going to cheer for them just because they play in Canada. It's a silly reason to cheer for a team really.
So why do you cheer for the Canucks then?

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
  #228
Darth Handsome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
I still can't stand the Oilers from a grudge back in the 80's.

Darth Handsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:35 PM
  #229
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Middle of nowhere
Country: United States
Posts: 1,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
So it was all Thomas & Chara? What about Bergeron, Seguin, Horton, Lucic, Marchand... they all played pretty significant roles during that playoff run.
Really, pretending Ryder wasn't a big part of the win because he resigned elsewhere?

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:45 PM
  #230
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
This whole thread is a strawman since polls show that Canadians do generally want Canadian teams to win the Stanley Cup.

Example. http://www.harrisdecima.ca/fr/node/1354
Canadians as in the general population may but that's not the same as Canadian hockey fans.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:47 PM
  #231
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Looks like a largely media-driven thing to me, and by "media" I mean non-sports. Living in New England I didn't see them myself, but I heard plenty of reports of local Canadian news anchors urging their audiences to "root for Canada" in the 2011 playoffs. I wouldn't expect them to know that the Bruins had more Canadian players than the Canucks; they probably wouldn't be able to name more than a couple of players on either roster, if that.

There are plenty of reasons to root for another team when/if yours is eliminated from the playoffs - perhaps you're a fan of their farm team (there are 30 AHL cities in North America); perhaps you're a big fan of a player or two or three on their roster; perhaps you like their style of play. I can't see a "Canadian" team or an "American" team being a tangible reason.
The Canadian media does it because they want to increase the Canadian ratings. A lot of those news anchors (CTV CBC) also own NHL rights (TSN CBC) so it's pretty transparent and self serving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
Oh come on, what has Bieksa done to merit such hate?
Have you not watched/listened to any of his pompous interviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
It couldn't have been because of the divisional rivalry thing
The Bruins don't have a rivalry with the leafs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeyMonster View Post
Really, pretending Ryder wasn't a big part of the win because he resigned elsewhere?
Totally forgot about Ryder. I Edited it.


Last edited by Neely2005: 01-04-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:23 PM
  #232
Puritania
Skooma Addict
 
Puritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Canadians as in the general population may but that's not the same as Canadian hockey fans.
Indeed. I'd wager your average Canadian would jump on any Canadian bandwagon come playoffs. It's a completely different story with dedicated hockey fans.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:11 PM
  #233
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Have you not watched/listened to any of his pompous interviews?
I think you're hating a bit too hard. He is mostly sarcastic or tongue in cheek. It's funny to those in the know, maybe it comes off differently to others. Or maybe he needs to use emoticons to help the internet generation.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
  #234
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I think you're hating a bit too hard. He is mostly sarcastic or tongue in cheek. It's funny to those in the know, maybe it comes off differently to others. Or maybe he needs to use emoticons to help the internet generation.
I'll have to disagree and I was born long before the internet.


http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/10...up-shenanigans

http://nesn.com/2011/11/kevin-bieksa...ucks-arrogant/

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:13 PM
  #235
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Like I said, maybe you just don't get it. I assume you googled Bieksa and arrogant and hoped for the best.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:18 PM
  #236
Deebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
So it was all Thomas & Chara? What about Bergeron, Seguin, Horton, Lucic, Marchand, Ryder... they all played pretty significant roles during that playoff run.



A lot of leaf & habs fans were cheering for Vancouver, leaf fans because of Seguin/the Kessel trade and habs fans because of the rivalry.
FWIW, most of the Leaf fans I know were cheering for the Bruins and I know quite a few.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:33 PM
  #237
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Handsome View Post
I still can't stand the Oilers from a grudge back in the 80's.
haha Ya Jets fans are like nerds still hating the jocks from high school because they beat them up all the time.
And high school was 30 years ago.

Glad you guys are back, we can't win a cup without beating you in the playoffs.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:36 PM
  #238
KahunaBaby
Registered User
 
KahunaBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Like I said, maybe you just don't get it. I assume you googled Bieksa and arrogant and hoped for the best.
I can't believe people actually take BXA seriously. Most of everything he says is tongue in cheek. I could definitely see him having a career outside of hockey in broadcasting...guys hilarious.

KahunaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:40 PM
  #239
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Na'ē panjā
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Well the whole finger biting incident definitely didn't help the Canucks gain any fans. Keep in mind this is from a guy who has pulled hair before, and publicly stated that he was happy that Avery suck punched Smid (who suffered a concussion). Then you have Kesler who was diving all over the ice. The Sedins (who I thought played fine in the playoffs) but they let themselves get pushed around too much. Marchand treating Daniel like a punching bag, Thomas crushing Henrik infront of the net... etc etc.

Boston is by no means a super clean team but Vancouver did it all to the MAX.
Again, it's all about selective memories and choosing own narratives. Ryder gave Blair a blindside hit to the head away from the play. It was just an "accidental collision". Horton threw a bottle on the crowd after a loss. He was just "angry". Chara fell down countless times. He simply "lost balance" because he's a big guy. Boychuk interfered with Raymond and broke his back. A "terrible accident". And so on. Put a Canucks jersey on these guys and we'd probably still be talking about each one of those incidents on a daily basis.

The matter of fact is that other fans didn't like the fact that the Canucks had a dominating 2010-11 season and actually had a shot at winning the Cup; if they had actually won it all it would completely destroy their narrative that Vancouver doesn't deserve a Cup and that the team could never win the Cup with a "soft" European captain and a "headcase" goalie. The outcome supported the narrative so a looot of people were glad of it.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
  #240
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
I will cheer for any Canadian team except Vancouver. I used to like them until they went to the finals and really found out what kind of team they had. I cannot stand the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, and Lapierre. They all dive, and dive alot. That team is also really dirty. Least favourite team in the league easily.
As I posted on the leafs board which I got a lot of hate from, I have grown a fondness for the Sens. I cheered for them last year because of the heart and never say die attitude. They were not even supposed to make the playoffs with many people predicting last place in the east. They brought the rags to 7 games and fought right to the bitter end. They are a team deserving of praise. I will find myself cheering for them this upcoming year.


Yup you know those dirty Canucks! What exactly have they done to make them "really dirty"? Especially when compared to a team like the Bruins.

@SephF

A finger biting incident helped sway your opinion when it came to liking Van? What about Marc Savard biting Carcillo? I mean he clearly did it first so your hate should originate there... no?

People are so selective in what they remember when it comes to hating. Also EVERY TEAM DIVES! Whats that saying about throwing stones & a glass house?


Last edited by MoreMogilny: 01-04-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:26 PM
  #241
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 1303
Burrows bite Bergerons finger...

If you need more evidence than that that Vancouver is a classless team, go watch the entire series again and count the Dives/Flops.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:30 PM
  #242
leeaf83
Registered User
 
leeaf83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
I will cheer for any Canadian team except Vancouver. I used to like them until they went to the finals and really found out what kind of team they had. I cannot stand the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, and Lapierre. They all dive, and dive alot. That team is also really dirty. Least favourite team in the league easily.
As I posted on the leafs board which I got a lot of hate from, I have grown a fondness for the Sens. I cheered for them last year because of the heart and never say die attitude. They were not even supposed to make the playoffs with many people predicting last place in the east. They brought the rags to 7 games and fought right to the bitter end. They are a team deserving of praise. I will find myself cheering for them this upcoming year.
I'm a leafs fan (the one who created that thread you're referring to actually) and I see where you're coming from;

I like the sens as a roster, Karlsson is very exciting, I like the way they play and admire how well they did in a rebuilding year as well as Paul Macleans methods. I actually felt the same way about the habs when Guy Carbonneau was coaching but in both cases I had to cheer against them because of hating the sens/habs for years


with the canucks it's the other way around. They're a team full of rats and frankly I'm surprised they haven't acquired Sean Avery. I don't hate them for being the canucks, I hate their on ice roster.

Truthfully I have no clue who I'd have cheered for if the sens met the canucks in the finals least year, I might have actually cheered for ottawa

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:35 PM
  #243
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Burrows bite Bergerons finger...

If you need more evidence than that that Vancouver is a classless team, go watch the entire series again and count the Dives/Flops.
Can you do it for me then count the Bruin dives and cheap garbage.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:37 PM
  #244
leeaf83
Registered User
 
leeaf83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Can you do it for me then count the Bruin dives and cheap garbage.
I'd be surprised if more than 25% of the total dives in that series were by the Bruins. Seems by game 7 there were far more people cheering for Boston who'd normally be cheering for Vancouver in a Canucks/bruins series (ie Sabres, Habs, Leafs, Sens fans) than the other way around.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:58 PM
  #245
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
You did read where I said "that's my point of view anyway" right? Meaning that the entire impetus of my post was that I cheer for teams and cities I deem deserving of a Cup. So in that context, I can decide how and whom I want to cheer for no? You don't get to tell me I'm wrong. It's my opinion and my own set of standards that dictates who I cheer for, nothing else. My standards for a team deserving a Cup are completley my own. And that was clear in my post.

And I'm not sure the second part is even that much of a stretch really, never mind hyperbole...
It isn't that much of a stretch to say that a Stanley Cup party (singular... same party, continuously) would still be going in Vancouver or Calgary, but the party ended in ten minutes in Los Angeles? What?

Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean it's exempt from being hyperbolic. A gross exaggeration is still an exaggeration even if it's your opinion.

__________________
She runs through my veins like a long, black river, and rattles my cage like a thunderstorm.
ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:24 PM
  #246
M A K A V E L I*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: van Coevorden
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Burrows bite Bergerons finger...

If you need more evidence than that that Vancouver is a classless team, go watch the entire series again and count the Dives/Flops.
Savard bites Carcillo's finger ...
Savard bites Tucker's finger ...

If you need more evidence that Boston is a classless team, go watch youtube for dives from Marchand, Thomas, Chara, Thornton, Seguin, Peverley, Kelly, Ference, etc.

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:30 PM
  #247
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,224
vCash: 500
Guys, this isn't a thread about the Vancouver/Boston series from 2011. Bringing up reasons you don't like a team is one thing. Going off course to bicker back and forth about what happened in a series from nearly two years ago is another. Especially when the very things being argued were driven into the ground back then.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:29 PM
  #248
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,707
vCash: 500
the disgraceful amount of people in vancouver who cheered on the flames in '04 proved once and for all that vancouver may have many great fans, but by and large is not a true sports city.

our biggest natural rival, that knocked us out in the first round that year no less. a disgraceful showing. disgraceful.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:52 PM
  #249
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
FWIW, most of the Leaf fans I know were cheering for the Bruins and I know quite a few.
I was also one of the Maple Leafs fans cheering for Boston. However my reason was wanting to see Tomas Kaberle winning the Stanley Cup.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:57 PM
  #250
Ringmaster316
Registered User
 
Ringmaster316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
the disgraceful amount of people in vancouver who cheered on the flames in '04 proved once and for all that vancouver may have many great fans, but by and large is not a true sports city.

our biggest natural rival, that knocked us out in the first round that year no less. a disgraceful showing. disgraceful.
flames are our rival? really since when?

oilers yes but flames have done NOTHING...they are lucky they won in 89

Ringmaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.