HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Griffin Reinhart suspended four games

Old
01-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Well that's pretty important. IIHF is claiming they know he intended to hit his head, hence the "eye contact", which is ridiculous, and the 4 game suspension.

If it was 1 game for reckless use of the stick, w/e I still wouldn't like it but that's something you can live with when you are dealing with the IIHF. 4 games is outrageous!
I don't think that statement says anything about intent, it just summarizes the result.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I don't think that statement says anything about intent, it just summarizes the result.
No that's not summarizing the result. Eye contact is them saying it was on purpose, it is suppose to separate an accidental hit in the face with a purposeful two handed slash to the face. They are saying he looked at the USA player, made eye contact, and then hit him in the face on purpose. The video shows that didn't happen at all, so again I wonder what they were watching.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:03 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I will say this.

When I saw 4 games I had to do a double take. I think it is a bit too much, but the kid slashed Trocheck in the head....and whether or not you think he aimed at his head is pretty meaningless as all players need to control their stick.

as for what the IIHF has done with other circumstances or hasnt done in the case of the Swiss player, they have always been lunatics with no semblance of common sense with trying to keep suspensions consistent. dont lose sleep over this when trying to compare the two situations as your head will explode.

I dont think Reinhart is a dirty player at all. I think he made a stupid play like Ghost and should get suspended for his actions. It could have been a lot worse then what it was and he should be thankful for that. This is a message being sent by the IIHF for these types of hits but again they lack consistency when doing this so just be prepared for why one guy got zip and another got four games..

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I will say this.

When I saw 4 games I had to do a double take. I think it is a bit too much, but the kid slashed Trocheck in the head....and whether or not you think he aimed at his head is pretty meaningless as all players need to control their stick.

as for what the IIHF has done with other circumstances or hasnt done in the case of the Swiss player, they have always been lunatics with no semblance of common sense with trying to keep suspensions consistent. dont lose sleep over this when trying to compare the two situations as your head will explode.

I dont think Reinhart is a dirty player at all. I think he made a stupid play like Ghost and should get suspended for his actions. It could have been a lot worse then what it was and he should be thankful for that. This is a message being sent by the IIHF for these types of hits but again they lack consistency when doing this so just be prepared for why one guy got zip and another got four games..
Complete lack of consistency isn't acceptable. You say whether or not he tried to hit his head isn't meaningful but that is 100% false. It is EXTREMELY meaningful.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Complete lack of consistency isn't acceptable. You say whether or not he tried to hit is head isn't meaningful but that is 100% false. It is EXTREMELY meaningful.
It may or may not be acceptable, but there isn't much we can do about it.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
1) Slash itself was absolutely intentional.
2) Placement of slash was likely unintentional.
3) Therefor, it was an intentional slash and he has to pay for the play. Be careful of your own stick and you won't get suspended.

The suspension should not be reduced a game.
So what i get from this is all slashes, no matter the outcome = suspension. We are now suspending plays for what is/always has been a 2 minute penalty.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:

Then the Russian and Swiss players should be out at least 4 games, if not more. yet here we are with the Canadian getting 4, the Russian 1 and the Swiss 0.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:12 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
So what i get from this is all slashes, no matter the outcome = suspension. We are now suspending plays for what is/always has been a 2 minute penalty.
Incorrect. The slash hit the player in the head.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It may or may not be acceptable, but there isn't much we can do about it.
Not at this moment no. Canada is going to try and get it sorted out in the appeal. They are putting together video of other people getting hit in the face and the suspensions (or lack thereof...) that accompanied them. Whether the IIHF council is any better than the 2 dumb-***** running this tourney, remains to be seen.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post

Cross-check to the face, no penalty and no suspension.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:15 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Then the Russian and Swiss players should be out at least 4 games, if not more. yet here we are with the Canadian getting 4, the Russian 1 and the Swiss 0.
Neutrality has its privileges.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:16 PM
canucksfan

Quote:

Cross-check to the face, no penalty and no suspension.
Should have been one.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:17 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
What surprises me most is that Jenner, despite being a repeat offender in the eyes of the IIHF, only got 3 games for his hit in Pettersson (broken wrist & dislocated shoulder). I would have thought that the IIHF would have come down harder on him.

I'm not sure how the IIHF can conclude that they made eye contact unless both players said they did.

Last edited by DuckedUpOnQuack: 01-04-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: thanks xokkeu
DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Should have been one.
Says who? Says the IIHF? This is the same tournament. Based on what standard should it be a suspension? Why wasn't it? How is Griffin's reckless stick worth 4 games and this reckless stick is 0?

Old
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckedUpOnQuack View Post
What surprises me most is that Jenner, despite being a repeat offender in the eyes of the IIHF, only got 2 games for his hit in Pettersson (broken wrist & dislocated shoulder). I would have thought that the IIHF would have come down harder on him.

I'm not sure how the IIHF can conclude that they made eye contact unless both players said they did.
Pretty sure he got 3 games.

Old
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
But that's not what he said. Also, so we are all aware, a slash that hits the head is called high sticking. I didn't realize that = instant suspension. In the past it has been known as a penalty unless it is very clearly malicious.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:19 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Complete lack of consistency isn't acceptable. You say whether or not he tried to hit his head isn't meaningful but that is 100% false. It is EXTREMELY meaningful.
there is a complete lack of consistency at the NHL level, what the heck do you expect from the goon squad known as the IIHF?? It is maddness when it comes to consistency and the NHL level, so my expectations for international tournaments is laughable.

I said whether YOU think he tried to hit his head is meaningless, not that the action is meaningless... you are still wrong in the whole intent part of this which was my point.. HE DID intend to hit him with the stick, whether it was the face or not I dont know, but intent was clearly there and arguing it beyond idiotic as you can see him look right at Trocheck before doing it.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckedUpOnQuack View Post
What surprises me most is that Jenner, despite being a repeat offender in the eyes of the IIHF, only got 2 games for his hit in Pettersson (broken wrist & dislocated shoulder). I would have thought that the IIHF would have come down harder on him.

The eye contact thing is a joke. The USA player is on his side and it's only when Griffin swings his stick that they are even facing eachother.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:20 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Says who? Says the IIHF? This is the same tournament. Based on what standard should it be a suspension? Why wasn't it? How is Griffin's reckless stick worth 4 games and this reckless stick is 0?
Go ask the IIHF.

Old
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
there is a complete lack of consistency at the NHL level, what the heck do you expect from the goon squad known as the IIHF?? It is maddness when it comes to consistency and the NHL level, so my expectations for international tournaments is laughable.

I said whether YOU think he tried to hit his head is meaningless, not that the action is meaningless... you are still wrong in the whole intent part of this which was my point.. HE DID intend to hit him with the stick, whether it was the face or not I dont know, but intent was clearly there and arguing it beyond idiotic as you can see him look right at Trocheck before doing it.
You do not see him look at Trocheck before doing it, no idea where you are seeing this.

Old
canucksfan

Quote:
But that's not what he said. Also, so we are all aware, a slash that hits the head is called high sticking. I didn't realize that = instant suspension. In the past it has been known as a penalty unless it is very clearly malicious.
The end result plays a factor.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The end result plays a factor.
The end result was no injury and a 2 minute penalty during the game.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:21 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Quote:
Pretty sure he got 3 games.
You are correct - my mistake. Nevertheless, in comparison to this suspension I'm still surprised. I would have thought either Jenner's would have warranted more, or Reinhart's less (not a repeat offender, no injury on the play).

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:22 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
dude, are you Griffin Reinhart? you need to relax here bud, you are getting way overworked over this. the dude almost chopped Trochecks face off and your acting like it wasnt a big deal. Canada is done, they cant win gold, move on man...

Old
01-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Go ask the IIHF.
I'm asking you. You are the one defending their incoherent suspensions.