HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

MMA General News and Discussion Pt. Deux (Lesnar rumors)

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 05:43 PM
BGDDYKWL

vCash: 500
Brief article on bloodyelbow talking about if Dana will bring Barnett back. He better. I know they've had their differences in the past, but Barnett would smoke probably two-thirds of the HW roster. Definitely some interesting matchups for him with guys like Werdum, Mir, Bigfoot, Cain, Nog, Nelson, etc.

And in other news, Bob Sapp recently beat Hunt and Overeem in a Japanese arm wrestling tournament.

Last edited by BGDDYKWL: 01-02-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old
01-03-2013, 03:25 AM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Brief article on bloodyelbow talking about if Dana will bring Barnett back. He better. I know they've had their differences in the past, but Barnett would smoke probably two-thirds of the HW roster. Definitely some interesting matchups for him with guys like Werdum, Mir, Bigfoot, Cain, Nog, Nelson, etc.

And in other news, Bob Sapp recently beat Hunt and Overeem in a Japanese arm wrestling tournament.
Jeez, I sure hope so.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:11 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Barnett would be a very interesting matchup for Cain. He's a bit sloppier than Cormier so I can see where Barnett would be able to attack him, but he would be a bit on the underdog end.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:39 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
I remember just recently watching one of those post fight scrums (might have even been 155) where Dana was asked about Josh and he said he has no problems with him and that he just needs to figure out what they're doing with each fighter from Strikeforce. Seeing as he's one of the better fighters in the promotion, you have to at least give him a chance and hopefully forget the past. He would be another legitimate threat in the HW division that really isn't all that deep currently and isn't going to get much deeper since it seems all but guaranteed that Cormier is dropping to 205.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:43 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I remember just recently watching one of those post fight scrums (might have even been 155) where Dana was asked about Josh and he said he has no problems with him and that he just needs to figure out what they're doing with each fighter from Strikeforce. Seeing as he's one of the better fighters in the promotion, you have to at least give him a chance and hopefully forget the past. He would be another legitimate threat in the HW division that really isn't all that deep currently and isn't going to get much deeper since it seems all but guaranteed that Cormier is dropping to 205.
Barnett hasn't doing anything worse then any past "trouble maker" who was kicked out and let back in. Unless I'm missing something?

Old
01-03-2013, 02:17 PM
DeathFromAbove

In the least surprising news of the day, tickets for Rousey/Carmouche are not selling well.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/1/2/...fc-157-tickets

Old
01-03-2013, 02:35 PM
AndyPipkin

^ There is really only 2 fights I want to see her in and that is Cyborg and Carano.

Not much in the way of competition yet.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:50 PM
m9

It was a no-brainer to have her on Fox and not on a PPV for a bunch of reasons. I don't know why they went down this PPV road for her first fight but I don't think it will end well.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:09 PM
kurt
the last emperor

UFC 157 looks like a Canadian card it's so bad.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:25 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
UFC 157 looks like a Canadian card it's so bad.
Really? I don't mind the card, it has 7 or 8 intriguing fights. It just happens the main event isn't one of them.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
AndyPipkin

^ Agree with m9. But as much as I dislike Rousey, she's intense and I enjoy her fights.

Theres enough fights that, while the names might not be huge, are interesting enough and could have good finishes to make a good card. Not saying I'd pay for it, but there is enough that I may have.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
157 is pretty light but I really like Faber/Menjivar, Manvel/Mendes, and Koscheck/Lawler. Plus any time that Schaub is going to get knocked out is a good time.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Barnett hasn't doing anything worse then any past "trouble maker" who was kicked out and let back in. Unless I'm missing something?
After he tested positive for steroids him and Dana had a war of words. At one point Barnett accused Dana of taking roids himself and said something along the lines of "If Dana wants I can piss in his mouth right now and he can test it". So yea, I'd say they've gotten more personal then your average Leben, but I would hope they could put things like that aside. Barnett is a legit top 10 HW, it would be a shame if he wasn't back in the UFC considering some of the other "talent" on the roster.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:00 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
I love watching Ronda take arms. Shame on the rest of you! haha

Old
01-03-2013, 05:01 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I love watching Ronda take arms. Shame on the rest of you! haha
Same. I could do without watching her talk, but just watchin a mash up of all her armbars/throws is pretty intense.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:28 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
In the least surprising news of the day, tickets for Rousey/Carmouche are not selling well.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/1/2/...fc-157-tickets
Color me shocked. No one wants to see a Main Event end in less than 2 minutes. People want to see Hendo and Machida go 5 rounds. The whole Rousey thing will blow up in Dana's face, and I will be enjoying it.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
01-03-2013, 06:53 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Really? I don't mind the card, it has 7 or 8 intriguing fights. It just happens the main event isn't one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
^ Agree with m9. But as much as I dislike Rousey, she's intense and I enjoy her fights.

Theres enough fights that, while the names might not be huge, are interesting enough and could have good finishes to make a good card. Not saying I'd pay for it, but there is enough that I may have.
Fair enough, you're right actually. Some good fights throughout the card.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:48 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Fair enough, you're right actually. Some good fights throughout the card.
Not anyone you would want to go out and see on their own but enough fights that could be wars or have nice sub/ko finishes.

You never know though.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:16 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Color me shocked. No one wants to see a Main Event end in less than 2 minutes. People want to see Hendo and Machida go 5 rounds. The whole Rousey thing will blow up in Dana's face, and I will be enjoying it.
Can you imagine if Rousey loses? The whole WMMA experiment would be over as quick as it started.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:14 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Can you imagine if Rousey loses? The whole WMMA experiment would be over as quick as it started.
These fights are as fixed as a Rwandan election.

She wouldnt lose.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:45 AM
Kitten Mittons

Dana White must be one horny ******* to have this experiment happen. It's crazy how unprofessional the UFC is but hey it keeps getting popular, so they're doing something right.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:02 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
At one point Barnett accused Dana of taking roids himself and said something along the lines of "If Dana wants I can piss in his mouth right now and he can test it".

Doesn't "moving at a similar pace to the company's last show in the Southern California market" suggest that 157 is about Anaheim, not Rousey? There have been a couple times in UFC history where we kinda looked at a weight class and thought, "jeez ... nothing going on here." Tim Sylvia is a baaad man, but he ruled over a really sorry heavyweight division (Jeff Monson? Brandon Vera?). Nobody talked about disbanding the heavyweight division, because stuff is cyclical. Frank Shamrock left / retired / whatever it was years ago because there was nobody to fight, and I'm sure at least one of BJ Penn's sabbaticals was similar.

The Cyborg fight is obviously out there, but I don't think Gina Carano is coming back. Acting is waaay easier and your tough guy / tough girl image is far more durable in Hollywood than in the octagon. Look at Rampage since he filmed A-Team: 2-3 (should probably be 1-4), missing weight badly and pulling out of at least one fight: hard to say what percentage of that is just being in his 30's and what percentage of that is losing some of the desire, but if you've won the title and scratched the competitive itch, why the hell would you turn down feature films just to get punched in the face?

Old
01-04-2013, 11:49 AM
m9

While I totally agree, it should be said Cung Le has probably never looked better and is in a similar position. Just depends on the person.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
While I totally agree, it should be said Cung Le has probably never looked better and is in a similar position. Just depends on the person.
And where they are at in their careers as well. Cung Le is still quite green for an MMA fighter at age 40. Sure he had a fairly lengthy kickboxing career and a decent run in Strikeforce, but he said himself that the opportunity to fight in the UFC is what brought back his desire. Rampage for example really has accomplished everything possible. If Rampage loses to Glover I wouldn't be all too surprised if he tried his hand a pro boxing, he barely uses anything else in the octagon anyway.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:30 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
And where they are at in their careers as well. Cung Le is still quite green for an MMA fighter at age 40. Sure he had a fairly lengthy kickboxing career and a decent run in Strikeforce, but he said himself that the opportunity to fight in the UFC is what brought back his desire. Rampage for example really has accomplished everything possible. If Rampage loses to Glover I wouldn't be all too surprised if he tried his hand a pro boxing, he barely uses anything else in the octagon anyway.
I doubt it. He can make more money fighting MMA than boxing. He'll fight MMA again regardless of what happens vs Glover IMO.

Closed Thread