HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry rants about foreign players in the CHL

Old
01-04-2013, 01:03 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

vCash: 500
Don Cherry rants about foreign players in the CHL

Quote:
Don Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC

Just listening to the sports experts on radio and tv talking about our Canadian defeat. Saying we must give credit to the coaches and their development in foreign lands. Check out the stars on the foreign teams where the majority of them played and where they got their development and what coaches are coaching them in their development. You’ll find that it was Canadians in Junior Hockey.

I still say the Canadian Hockey League should be for Canadians either that or change the name. Some Canadian guy spends thousands on sticks, travel, equipment, pays his taxes and his kid is cut from the CHL for some kid who’s father never contributed a cent to Canada. I know alot of people don’t agree with me and I look bad saying stuff like this.But I’ve gone a long time without worrying what people say. I know we lost. I am not a gracious guy. Lets see how many guys from the tournament make the NHL. You’ll find Canada will be number one. Hey maybe I am a spoiled sport. But that’s the way I am and feel. Lots of people agree with me but when asked say the safe thing. I don’t blame them. As my mother used to say, if you don’t like my gate, don’t swing on it.
Thoughts? Personally I find Cherry to be a xenophobic dinosaur but I'm interested in hearing other opinions on his thoughts on the CHL.

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Thoughts? Personally I find Cherry to be a xenophobic dinosaur but I'm interested in hearing other opinions.
With your comment there, are you wanting to know what people think of Don Cherry or are you asking about the point he's trying to make. Huge difference, here.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:04 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Thoughts? Personally I find Cherry to be a xenophobic dinosaur but I'm interested in hearing other opinions.
Agree

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:05 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

strange. he likes john persson, rickard rakell, gabriel landeskog....all swedish players.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:06 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
With your comment there, are you wanting to know what people think of Don Cherry or are you asking about the point he's trying to make. Huge difference, here.
His point here, my bad.

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
There is a 2 player limit for foreigners per team.

I think the CHL is fine, and if it helps keep them in NA when they are drafted instead of running back to the KHL I am happy with that.

I think we all agree it sucks when you draft a player and he never even gets on the boat to come over.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
wolffy66

He would have a point if the chl was a govt program paid for by the canadian govt. Other than that its a sneaky way to say he doesnt like foreigners in Canada.

wolffy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Another thing, the average age of hockey drop outs is down to 12 from 14 a few years ago. If a Canadian kid gets beat out by a over seas player, very doubtful he would have made it further.
The over seas players have to be good. If they are going to be taking up 1 of 2 spots for them. This makes the league better, higher quality of competition and helps develop the Canadian kids too.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:17 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Bandwagon since 2008

Don Cherry is always looking for attention.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
strange. he likes john persson, rickard rakell, gabriel landeskog....all swedish players.
Exactly. Some see his comments as racism. They confuse, in my opinion, racism with patriotism. He likes a lot of players from other countries and he has never shied away from saying it, just like he'll pounce on a Canadian player not doing the right things.

Grapes is simply showing a bit of patriotism and in his opinion, he would like to see the CHL be reserved to young Canadian players to be developed.

Personally, I don't see that as a crime. If it is, crucify me with him on that one.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:20 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
I don't think he is hating on Swedes, it's the idea that the CHL continues to gives chances to foreign players despite the fact it is a Canadianish league. I am not a fan of Cherry at all, but his point on this is at least debatable. Is the point of the CHL to develop CDN/American players or is it to attract the best junior players in the world?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:22 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Cherry would have a point if the CHL was a publicly-funded entity that offered positions based on equitable principles. Which obviously isn't. It's like saying a Canadian shouldn't accept a scholarship to play in the NCAA because he doesn't pay taxes to the US government. That doesn't even make sense.

VinnyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:23 PM
SCBruCrew4

As much as I don't necessarily agree with his comments/views I honestly must say it's refreshing to have someone like him where he doesn't go all PC (Politically Correct) on these kidns of issues.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:24 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
I don't really understand the need to bring over kids from Europe to play. The US, I kind of understand, but if it is a league for Canadian kids to develop, then it should remain as such.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
premadonna

vCash: 520
Clubs should be free to make their own decisions concerning their roster. If a CHL club thinks that a foreign player can help them win games and make them a better team then they should be free to sign him.

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
zoA

Quote:
That's cause Swedes are our classier blond brothers!

zoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:26 PM
jekoh

Just because he likes a few select foreigners, it doesn't follow that he's not a xenophobe.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

In other news, water is wet and the sun rises in the east.

And just to clarify, it's not racism, it's xenophobia. And it's stupid. He wants to shut doors in kids' faces because of where they're born. Pathetic.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Cherry would have a point if the CHL was a publicly-funded entity that offered positions based on equitable principles. Which obviously isn't. It's like saying a Canadian shouldn't accept a scholarship to play in the NCAA because he doesn't pay taxes to the US government. That doesn't even make sense.
Shouldn't Canadians NHLers be limited to Canadian NHL teams?

I still say the American Hockey League should be for Americans either that or change the name.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

You can't play in a private non-government funded league because your parents don't pay taxes in Canada!

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:33 PM
M Gaz
Who needs a captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I don't really understand the need to bring over kids from Europe to play. The US, I kind of understand, but if it is a league for Canadian kids to develop, then it should remain as such.
Don Cherry? Is that you?

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:35 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
There are a few teams in the US that are in the CHL. It would be unfair not to allow Americans into the CHL. Cherry can't use his typical excuse "We didn't have this player or this player etc." so he uses this one.

The CHL is a business. I would rather watch a talented Euro than a fourth line plug Canadian.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Does this mean that Canadian players aren't allowed to play overseas in lockouts? After all. It's not there leagues.

Noting but Xenophobia. If players weren't able to come over the game as a whole would be worse.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:36 PM
M Gaz
Who needs a captain?

I don't understand the mindset of some Canadians. So what if a few Swedes, Finns, and Russians play in the CHL. It's a top junior league and playing in it is a great way to garner the attention of NHL teams.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:38 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
As much as I don't necessarily agree with his comments/views I honestly must say it's refreshing to have someone like him where he doesn't go all PC (Politically Correct) on these kidns of issues.
So we should praise him for having an unusually uneducated opinion?

Allowing foreign kids to come to the CHL is a win-win scenario for both talented Canadians, the CHL and the NHL:

-Talent pool is expanded, which means:
*Tougher competition for Canadians; better development
*More skilled players for spectators to watch; increased revenues; less likelihood of taxpayer money going to support the leagues

-Foreign kids adapt easier to the North American game, which speeds the transition from junior to the AHL/NHL and improves the talent pool for those leagues. Also helps them want to stay in the continent instead of playing abroad.

So what if some kids end up being "pushed away" because of better talent? Is Cherry advocating for the CHL to be a charity case now? Or does he think that parents spending thousands on a sport for his kid entitles him to participate in a competitive league? Does he think parents abroad never have to spend a dime on hockey either?

VinnyC is online now   Reply With Quote