HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Griffin Reinhart suspended four games

Old
01-04-2013, 01:39 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
And a slash to the face is known as high sticking. So what you are saying is a high stick = 4 games missed.
It was not a high stick. A high stick is a careless use of the stick. This was not careless.

Keep trying though.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
And a slash to the face is known as high sticking. So what you are saying is a high stick = 4 games missed.
No, high sticking is when during the course of play your stick ends up in somebody's face. Slashing is when you intentionally direct your stick towards another play in order to hit them with it.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
It was not a high stick. A high stick is a careless use of the stick. This was not careless.

Keep trying though.
Wait, so what he did was not careless? now I am just confused.

There is no trying, you are wrong, that is a fact. IIHF is also wrong, that is a fact, it happens on a near daily basis with them. What conclusion they come to does not make it a correct decision. Well except in your eyes.

You - IIHF ruling = correct, no matter what
Every other logical thinking person - IIHF ruling = random draw from a hat

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:41 PM
robdicks

It looked to me like Reinhart swung that stick intentionally although I don't think you can definitively say that. I don't know enough about him tbh, but if his WHL record is clean I don't think you can give him the full suspension of an intentional stick to the face. I will agree with Spott that this is not the most violent play in the World Junior Championship that I have ever seen. It isn't even the most violent since the Russia game, but intentional sticks to the head need to be suspended. I would have given him 2-3 and instructed him that next time an incident similar to this occurs, the suspension will be much bigger.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
They already did not punish the Swiss player. It was not a deliberate slash to the face. Dude, wow...In hockey it's fast and stuff happens. A stick ramps up and hits another in the face. This is not an uncommon thing. You can't just suspend everyone 4 games for everything. If an injury occurs on the play we will now suspend guys 6 or 7 games for high sticks? It's a joke.
I'm not sure that the argument that the IIHF is incompetent is a convincing one as to why Reinhart should not be punished for slashing somebody.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Keep trying though.
Actually that is exactly what it was.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:43 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Wait, so what he did was not careless? now I am just confused.

There is no trying, you are wrong, that is a fact. IIHF is also wrong, that is a fact, it happens on a near daily basis with them. What conclusion they come to does not make it a correct decision. Well except in your eyes.

You - IIHF ruling = correct, no matter what
Every other logical thinking person - IIHF ruling = random draw from a hat
No that Swiss player should have got suspended as well.

It was not careless. He intentionally slashed a player.

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Are you F'in kidding me. you are comparing this to that? Talk about out to lunch.

There is a definite line between the 2, this one would be in the high sticking column, not the intent to kill column
This is why you don't blindly swing your stick at people.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
No, high sticking is when during the course of play your stick ends up in somebody's face. Slashing is when you intentionally direct your stick towards another play in order to hit them with it.

Sorry, but I do not agree that this was more intentional than many of the other highsticks we have seen.

But for the sake of avoiding an argument, lets say he did intend to hit him in the leg. That is now his intent and he should be reprimanded as such. Not the bad luck of his stick hitting the Americans and catching his cheek.

This getting 4 is a joke. I would even be ok with 1, since it did get his face and it "looks" bad, but the lack of consistency is just mind boggling and causes frustration for many.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:

And the Russian only getting 1 game? Is that Kosher too?

Old
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

It isn't even established that he did that. You don't know his intent and it is unclear from the video.

Old
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
This is why you don't blindly swing your stick at people.
Agreed. 4 games is still a joke for this and you know it. Not sure why you are arguing otherwise.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:47 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
They already did not punish the Swiss player. It was not a deliberate slash to the face. Dude, wow...In hockey it's fast and stuff happens. A stick ramps up and hits another in the face. This is not an uncommon thing. You can't just suspend everyone 4 games for everything. If an injury occurs on the play we will now suspend guys 6 or 7 games for high sticks? It's a joke.
there was no stick ramping up man, the dude double hand swung it at Trochecks face...you really are trying to minimize the action bigtime. it was 100% dirty and deserving of a suspension. I dont care what the Swiss player did or didnt do as your reason for a suspension or not. the Swiss player got lucky and Reinhart got caught..4 games is a bit too much, but definitely worth 2 games considering Ghost got suspended for almost 2 games with his nut shot...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Sorry, but I do not agree that this was more intentional than many of the other highsticks we have seen.

But for the sake of avoiding an argument, lets say he did intend to hit him in the leg. That is now his intent and he should be reprimanded as such. Not the bad luck of his stick hitting the Americans and catching his cheek.

This getting 4 is a joke. I would even be ok with 1, since it did get his face and it "looks" bad, but the lack of consistency is just mind boggling and causes frustration for many.
Four games seems a bit high, but using the legal world it's intent plus result. If you think you can slide through that red light and do it? You probably only get a ticket. If you don't make it and hit a pedestrian or car? You could be looking at prison time. IF Reinhart tries to hit Trochek with his stick but misses? No penalty, no suspension, despite there being clear intent. IF he tries to hit him and ends up hitting him in the face, the intent to hit him and the result end up with what we have here.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
there was no stick ramping up man, the dude double hand swung it at Trochecks face...you really are trying to minimize the action bigtime. it was 100% dirty and deserving of a suspension. I dont care what the Swiss player did or didnt do as your reason for a suspension or not. the Swiss player got lucky and Reinhart got caught..4 games is a bit too much, but definitely worth 2 games considering Ghost got suspended for almost 2 games with his nut shot...
You clearly haven't seen the video closely then. Griffin is falling, his stick starts to come across and then it BOUNCES off the American player's stick and ramps up into his face. If you can't see this I don't think we have anything more to talk about.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Agreed. 4 games is still a joke for this and you know it. Not sure why you are arguing otherwise.
I haven't argued that the suspension isn't severe. Personally I believe suspensions should be severe but in the context of other rulings it is likely harsh. Then again the rulings have been all over the map with no consistency whatsoever.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:49 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
You clearly haven't seen the video closely then. Griffin is falling, his stick starts to come across and then it BOUNCES off the American player's stick and ramps up into his face. If you can't see this I don't think we have anything more to talk about.
take your blinders off man, its getting pathetic

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You aren't very perceptive if you can't see it. If you have the video at 3:20, watch the blades come together as Griffin is falling down.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:52 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckedUpOnQuack View Post
What surprises me most is that Jenner, despite being a repeat offender in the eyes of the IIHF, only got 3 games for his hit in Pettersson (broken wrist & dislocated shoulder). I would have thought that the IIHF would have come down harder on him.

I'm not sure how the IIHF can conclude that they made eye contact unless both players said they did.
Jenner's spear last year was a joke. As I mentioned in an earlier post Gibson got away with a similar spear on Huberdeau.

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:59 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Quote:
Ha, pretty much this. Every time I watch that slo-mo, it gets worse. It looks like he almost turns away from the puck, looks at Trocheck, and then slashes him in the melon. When I saw this during the game I didn't think it was anything more than a high-stick, but this looks pretty intentional if you watch the slo-mo. 4 games seems harsh, but it's pretty obvious to me he meant to slash him pretty high.

FytinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
So since they screwed up one incident, they should let this one go? That's not how consistency works. This was an obvious suspension although maybe 2-3 games may have been more appropriate.

flyersfan018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Quote:
I haven't argued that the suspension isn't severe. Personally I believe suspensions should be severe but in the context of other rulings it is likely harsh. Then again the rulings have been all over the map with no consistency whatsoever.
Just wanted to point out how refreshing it is reading your comments on a forum that is often polarized by 2 sides arguing over the most asinine of details.

I think a 2 game suspension would have been more reasonable, although perhaps you can tack on another game from the IIHF's perspective because Reinhart wasn't ejected. In the end he's responsible for his stick, especially on a play where he intended to slash his opponent.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Watching from 3:20 on the more I see it, the more accidental it is looking.

Sticks hit, his slides up, his the glove, his the side of the head that is below board level.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
how on earth does that look 'accidental' to anyone???
Did you see Reinhart's double take? Look again, it was an accident. If it wasn't intentional, that wouldn't have been his immediate reaction.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:03 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Thought this was pretty bad when watching the game, it got worse on the slow mo replay for me. He takes a punch to the back of the head in the corner and comes back swinging, it looked intentional to me. Not to get the head, but his intention was to land a pretty big slash in my opinion, I think what he was going for was the shoulder or across the arm, well he missed. Only he knows, but I thought it was a retaliation gone wrong. It is a very good chop and almost a baseball swing.

The Islanders like to take their prospects early so maybe he won't be available next year. If not he should sit the four games when he gets back, hey if Noesen can serve his in the OHL, why can't he serve them in the WHL to get them cleared. If he cannot than I would like the IIHF to explain in better detail Noesen's absence and if they don't honor someone serving the time in another league than I call bull on them enforcing other leagues rules in these tournaments.

By the way Trocheck has been made available to the media a lot, didn't see anything from him today. I hope this isn't a case of after the game something was wrong and the IIHF knows that as well. Would stink if he was out for the Gold Medal game. They seem to suggest he isn't hurt, but I still wonder on that, with the head involved today will be telling when they get together for practice
Watch the video Rinehart most definitely didn't get punched in the corner.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote