HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Worst movie of 2012?

Old
01-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
The biggest thing I found is Christopher Nolan sucks at developing any type of secondary character.
There's also the constant need for the characters to explain things.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
for me personaly. the worst movies I viewed in 2012 are That's my boy and the Raven.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Was there anything egregiously bad about John Carter though? It's biggest crime is that it's just uninteresting.
Not really. The beginning could have explained things a bit more but it was far better than the box office figures suggested. It wasn't good though, merely ok for one viewing.

Last edited by Jussi: 01-04-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old
01-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I didn't read the rest of the thread but ill throw in Silent Hill. Also wasn't Ghost Rider 2 a 2012 flick? I didn't watch it but I saw the trailer. A skeleton pissing fire like a flamethrower told me all I needed to know.
Yup. It wasn't bad all over but Nic Cage's manerisms ruined it.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:42 PM
OfferSheet

Worst movie was definitely That's My Boy. Incredibly unfunny.

Most disappointing was The Master. I had really high expectations for it being that its PTA, but I found it very dull and boring. Without Joaquin's performance it would have been unwatchable.

OfferSheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Not really. The beginning could have explained things a bit more but it was far better than the it's box office figures suggested. It wasn't good though, merely ok for one viewing.
That's how I felt too. I hope it doesn't hurt Stanton's chances at getting future directing jobs though because his work with Pixar is incredible, and I thought the directing was actually good with John Carter. The story is just something we've seen too many times.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:14 PM
invictus

I mentioned at work today that I watched Magic Mike over the weekend. I never knew I worked with so many homophobes. It was so weird, lol. Like four different guys started calling me a homo and asking if I watched Brokeback Mountain right after. People are stupid.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:40 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I mentioned at work today that I watched Magic Mike over the weekend. I never knew I worked with so many homophobes. It was so weird, lol. Like four different guys started calling me a homo and asking if I watched Brokeback Mountain right after. People are stupid.
Sad to hear. When I saw it this summer, I noted on Facebook that I liked it and got a similar response from "friends."

The saddest thing is that immediate reaction from people. The less significant sad thing is that although there are male strippers in the movie, it isn't about that or about any sort of titilation. Fairly universal story at it's core that was well done and enjoyable.

Edit: clarification there is titilation to be had if you're so inclined, but it certainly isn't the point of the movie.

Last edited by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe: 01-03-2013 at 06:45 PM.
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:51 PM
tobo

The worst movies I've seen this year:

#1 Universal Soldier 4 (nearly gave me an epileptic seizure)
#2 Resident Evil: Retribution (Only Mila Jovovich keeps me pulling back in)
#3 Abe the vampire slayer (because the entire idea is retarded)

Movies that disappointed because I expected more:

#1 Skyfall (Once again a brilliant opening scene, but I was quite disappointed about the rest)
#2 Lawless (trailers looked very promising, but I found the film to be just slightly above average)
#3 The dicator (just not funny, is it me or has Baron-Cohen lost a lot of his magic since his Ali G-days?)

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:00 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
I got talked into seeing Magic Mike by my (ex)girlfriend, and I actually liked it. For being a movie about male strippers, it actually wasn't that bad.

Worst movie was That's my Boy. That was just terrible.
Adam sandler makes more terrible movies than good ones, and that one looked really ridiculous to begin with.

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:21 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

The last good Adam Sandler movie was Punch Drunk Love.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Seems HF isn't alone here...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7295260.story

Quote:
Sure, it featured one of the most star-studded ensembles in the history of comic book movies. And yes, it took in more box-office dollars than any other movie in 2012. But Marvel Studios' "The Avengers" can now also boast another, less noble distinction: the most overrated film of the year.
I don't agree, personally...seems like the backlash is strong with this one, though.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

For me, it's Jack Reacher.

Mario Lemieux fan 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Freezerburn

Movies I saw last year:

Looper - I didn't like some parts/characters but overall I liked the story and was interested until the end.
Avengers - Not a huge Marvel comic movie fan but I was certainly entertained, no real complaints other than the movie being a litttle too cheesy at times.
Dark Knight Rises - I am admittedly a DC/Batman fan but I thought this movie was too long. Definitely enjoyed it though and will watch it more.
Cloud Atlas - Tedious, long, and trying to be much more intellectual than it was. Wouldn't watch this again, the 'fusion engines' scene sums the whole thing up for me.
Moonrise Kingdom - I loved this movie as I do most other Wes Anderson movies.
Bourne Legacy - I love the Bourne series of movies but this was total garbage. I wished I would have seen another movie about 1 hr in.
Hunger Games - Not the best movie by any stretch and obviously geared towards a different demographic but I thought it was pretty good and would watch again.
Chronicle - Fun movie. I like original sci-fi even if the story is a little flawed.
Prometheus - Not as good as expected but I still actually liked it, no huge complaints.
Seven Psychopaths - Overrated but not terrible, I thought it was ok but I probably wouldn't watch it again.

So my top 3 least enjoyable movies from worst to 3rd worst are:

1. Bourne Legacy
2. Cloud Atlas
3. Seven Psychopaths

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:31 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
The last good Adam Sandler movie was Punch Drunk Love.
I liked the remake of the Longest Yard. That was pretty good.

As for the Avengers. The Dark Knight Rises is a lot more overrated than the Avengers. At least the Avengers felt like a comic book movie.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Norm MacDonald

From what I've seen...

1. Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai
2. Premium Rush
3. Rock of Ages

I thankfully missed out on some gems like "The Words".

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:22 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Batman. What an utter load of trash. The two "Dark Knight" movies are the worst movies I've ever seen, bar none.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:28 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

I don't agree, personally...seems like the backlash is strong with this one, though.
Well most overrated and worst movie isn't the same though.. Myself think it's a pretty good movie but it's pretty overrated I'd say. Far from the best and far from the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
Batman. What an utter load of trash. The two "Dark Knight" movies are the worst movies I've ever seen, bar none.
If that is the case I will post a number of movies that are clearly inferior. You will lose some of your "indie-cred" though so maybe it's not worth it.

Munchies
Bigfoot
The Capture of Bigfoot
Battle Queen 2020
Bloody Bender
The Trial of Billy Jack

If you don't find any of these movies worse than the Dark Knight movies. You sir, are a master.
--

I think I saw about 10 movies at the theaters this year and out of those Battleship was clearly the worst movie. Cant speak for the movies I havnt seen so I wont say if it's really the worst or not.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Haven't seen Magic Mike, my girlfriend says it's terrible so I'll take her word. But I know what you mean, I'm unapologetic when I say Brokeback Mountain is a classic, I love that movie.
Strangely didn't make me gay in the end, which was a shocker, I'm pretty sure if you watch it you're doomed like that video in the Ring.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:53 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Well most overrated and worst movie isn't the same though.. Myself think it's a pretty good movie but it's pretty overrated I'd say. Far from the best and far from the worst.
True, didn't mean to imply that. Just that there are others who are less than impressed with The Avengers.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Protest the Hero

I liked The Dark Knight Rises on first viewing, it wasn't until I read about all of the inconsistencies where it started getting more and more disappointing. I did notice the horrible fight choreography on first viewing though, so many bad guys standing around and waiting for their cue. Doesn't change my opinion on TDK though, still love that movie.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
hersky77

Quote:
There's also the constant need for the characters to explain things.
I loved batman, but the who open ended end really, threw me off, does robin become robin, does bruce wayne become batman again? So many questions left unanswered that need to be answered.

hersky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Citing a Times online survey of 2600 respondents... And their own poll at the site has 59% disagreeing with the overrated part as well. This is like trademark "website hit hunting".

The last comment there sounds just like HFBoards:

Quote:
When someone says "This is overrated," they might as well be saying "I don't like this thing that's popular and I don't understand why it's popular" When someone says "This is underrated," they might as well be saying "I like this thing that's not popular and I don't understand why it's not popular"

Old
01-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
This and last year kinda sucked for movies.

Graveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:49 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Citing a Times online survey of 2600 respondents... And their own poll at the site has 59% disagreeing with the overrated part as well. This is like trademark "website hit hunting".

The last comment there sounds just like HFBoards:
And on the other hand, we have Exhibit A: Avengers fans who can't even entertain the notion that people might not have liked the Avengers. I didn't realize it was this year's Dark Knight.

Anyway I'm not trying to "cite" anything - I just came across the link and thought it was relevant to the previous discussion about it being "typical HF" to dislike movies like the Avengers.