HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players that disappointed the most

Old
01-04-2013, 11:28 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
over 180? isn't he in the 170 range?

Not that big a difference but hey, if we're trying to be accurate here.

And RNH ain't the problem, well...maybe a part of it actually, I mean you expect him to dominate this type of tournament. We had no clutch-ness on our team, no Eberles, no Tavares type dudes. Just some guys who rack up the points but when **** matters, they **** the bed.
He was 170 the day he was drafted. He got weighed in at 185 this year in OKC (1 pound heavier than Eberle and 2 inches taller, yet RNH is the one who needs to worry about size... lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
He is a baby face! I never would have guessed he was 6'1", 185lbs, he sure doesn't look that sturdy out there. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bash RNH, I liked him from the 1st time I saw him as a 15 year old in the WHL, but I do have some concerns over his durability....

SephF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:40 AM
DamonDRW

S. Spott and M. Varnakov

DamonDRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Atas2000

I love hfboards. Everyone expects the U20 players to score 5 points per game, then every single one of them is a disappointment because they don't.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post

Have to agree with this.

Not to take away anything from the US team but the performance by Team Canada was appalling.
I have never seen such a poor effort, lackadaisical attitude and sloppy play from what is probably the most talented team in this world juniors. (on paper)
The Canadian players really should be ashamed of themselves.
I know some will beat me up for saying it, but it's how I feel after watching the game.

Hockey Canada pampers these guys more than any other team gets pampered. The fans are second to none in supporting the players. And they do this to us?

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:29 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
And RNH ain't the problem, well...maybe a part of it actually, I mean you expect him to dominate this type of tournament. We had no clutch-ness on our team, no Eberles, no Tavares type dudes. Just some guys who rack up the points but when **** matters, they **** the bed.
This doesn't even exist. Clutchness is a fan-invented term used to describe normal events of variance.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
People are seriously saying Nugent-Hopkins? If Nuge wasn't on the team we wouldn't come close to a medal. The only line who did anything in the US game was his.

Jonathan Huberdeau went down a notch in my books. Not a fan of him at all. He looks like he doesn't care that we lost. He is slow and doesn't have game breaking abilities. And he dives constantly. No offense Panthers fans but I don't see anything special about the guy. He produces when he has the right linemates. Look at when he was playing with RNH and when he wasn't.

Oh, and Griffin Reinhart. What a ****ing mess. Slow, no hockey IQ, doesn't play physical, inconsistent. Yikes.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:03 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
No offense Joey Moss but RNH was absolutely not good against USA.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:05 PM
toewsintangibles

Face it, RNH was terrific against weak competition and flat against good one

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
No offense Joey Moss but RNH was absolutely not good against USA.
I'm sorry but I disagree. Like I said, his line was the only one getting into the offensive zone and creating chances. There wasn't production but they were the only line going and RNH was leading it.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Face it, RNH was terrific against weak competition and flat against good one
Uhmmm... 3 assists vs. Russia and 2 points vs. USA.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
(1 pound heavier than Eberle and 2 inches taller, yet RNH is the one who needs to worry about size... lol)
Well if he's 2 inches taller than Eberle he should realistically be 10-15 lb heavier as a matter of course. So he definitely is the one who needs to worry about his size; being 5'10 or 5'11 and 185 is respectably beefy. Not so much for someone who's over 6 feet.

Standard tissue mass on an average person adds another 3-4 lb per additional inch in height at those ranges, and with that extra frame comes a further increase in potential muscle mass.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:01 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Yeah RNH really shouldn't be mentioned. Sure, he didn't have a good game against the U.S., but the whole team **** the bed that game. To call him a disappointment because of one game is unfair. Huberdeau was far more disappointing than him.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:04 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

I thought RNH was the best player against the US. His linemates sucked.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Oh, and Griffin Reinhart. What a ****ing mess. Slow, no hockey IQ, doesn't play physical, inconsistent. Yikes.
I don't know about all of those, but yeah, he's been disappointing. I was really rooting for him, him being an Oil King and all that. I don't really attend WHL games, though, so I'm not sure how his play at the tournament compares to his usual play, but I've seen last year's Memorial Cup, and he seemed much stronger in his play there.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Yeah RNH really shouldn't be mentioned. Sure, he didn't have a good game against the U.S., but the whole team **** the bed that game. To call him a disappointment because of one game is unfair. Huberdeau was far more disappointing than him.
When the best player on the team does **** all... yeah he deserves to be mentioned.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:45 PM
ChillyPalmer

Hamilton and Huberdeau ainec.

ChillyPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:52 PM
SenzZen
C(as)H/CH-CH-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
When the best player on the team does **** all... yeah he deserves to be mentioned.
When you refer to him as "the best player on the team" in a thread about Players that disappointed the most, people may question opinion.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:53 PM
STL fan in IA

Yakupov
Huberdeau
Hamilton

Not that any of those there were absolutely terrible but those are the 3 I really expected more out of.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Yakupov
Huberdeau
Hamilton

Not that any of those there were absolutely terrible but those are the 3 I really expected more out of.
And to say that after the Bronze medal game, one of them is going to get it even worse.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:57 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Well if he's 2 inches taller than Eberle he should realistically be 10-15 lb heavier as a matter of course. So he definitely is the one who needs to worry about his size; being 5'10 or 5'11 and 185 is respectably beefy. Not so much for someone who's over 6 feet.

Standard tissue mass on an average person adds another 3-4 lb per additional inch in height at those ranges, and with that extra frame comes a further increase in potential muscle mass.
Eberle is 4 years older then RNH, give him 4 years and I'm sure he'll put on 10 pounds.

SephF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:13 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Another vote for Yakupov, his tournament showing was not that of an NHL ready player

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
This doesn't even exist. Clutchness is a fan-invented term used to describe normal events of variance.
I have to disagree.

Hell, even in my experience playing recreational sports alone, there are guys who constantly step up in pressure situations/big games and come through or are "clutch" and guys who wilt under pressure.

Great example, the rec league I play hockey... guy on our team crushes during the regular season and dangles through opponents, playoffs/big games come and he disapears as checking is tighter... meanwhile one of the mid tier players during regular season always seems to have more jump or elevate their game in big moments and seem to produce more.

I honestly can't explain it... but it's not something that fans make up, it exists for whatever reason.... different people handle pressure differently... it reveals character.... sometimes that character wilts, sometimes it elevates.

Find it hard to deny, but harder to explain why... but I do know it happens.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:25 AM
gretskidoo

Bengtsson was by far the worst player in the tournament this year, perhaps in the last 10 years, so that's a disappointment if you had any expectations for him.

gretskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:37 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
I have to disagree.

Hell, even in my experience playing recreational sports alone, there are guys who constantly step up in pressure situations/big games and come through or are "clutch" and guys who wilt under pressure.

Great example, the rec league I play hockey... guy on our team crushes during the regular season and dangles through opponents, playoffs/big games come and he disapears as checking is tighter... meanwhile one of the mid tier players during regular season always seems to have more jump or elevate their game in big moments and seem to produce more.

I honestly can't explain it... but it's not something that fans make up, it exists for whatever reason.... different people handle pressure differently... it reveals character.... sometimes that character wilts, sometimes it elevates.

Find it hard to deny, but harder to explain why... but I do know it happens.
You explained it yourself, the checking gets tighter, the rules get called lighter and the guy who can dangle gets shutdown. As a result, the other guys on the team who are more able to play through tend to step up as they likely are bigger guys who can fight through the extra tight checking.

There are some guys who can't handle pressure but I think the amount of those guys are pretty few.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote