HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What would you do if the SC Finalists were your 2 favorite teams?

Old
01-04-2013, 11:16 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Who has 2 equally favorite team besides people in Europe with no real geographical allegiance? I don't understand the mentality of being a fan of a team other than the one the you grew up closest to. One of my little cousins is a giants fan, and it pisses everyone in my family off, because little kids just choose whatever team won the most recent championship to adhere to.

Just pick one team. What's the point of being a fan of individual teams otherwise?

I understand just loving the game. I'm the same way. I'll watch any game that's on tv at any time. But i would NEVER root for any other team even close to the capacity that i root for the Flyers.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:23 AM
startainfection

isles and oilers, im only rooting for the oilers so i can see them get beat in the stanley cup finals by the isles though

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Who has 2 equally favorite team besides people in Europe with no real geographical allegiance? I don't understand the mentality of being a fan of a team other than the one the you grew up closest to. One of my little cousins is a giants fan, and it pisses everyone in my family off, because little kids just choose whatever team won the most recent championship to adhere to.

Just pick one team. What's the point of being a fan of individual teams otherwise?

I understand just loving the game. I'm the same way. I'll watch any game that's on tv at any time. But i would NEVER root for any other team even close to the capacity that i root for the Flyers.
I don't get this at all either.

How can you possibly have two teams that you are equally passionate for?

I mean there are a few teams other than the Oilers that I enjoy watching and respect, but if it came down to the finals I would proabably begin to immediately hate them.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
anyone who likes two different teams should be beaten to death with their own leg.
This probably applies to outside of NHL too?

Personally I have a favorite SM-Liiga team (Ässät) and it is not my hometown (Espoo) team. However, my wife is crazy about Blues and thus I have bought her Blues-stuff like season ticket and scarf and knit cap. Now sure, it still doesn't make me a Blues-fan, but if I go to virtually all games with her and see how happy she is when Blues is successful, how couldn't I cheer for them too?

Also, I was born in Heinola which has a Mestis (basically like Finnish AHL) team and lived there for 20 years owning season ticket to HeKi (now Peliitat) games and later I studied in University of Vaasa and went to a lot of games there, for example almost all games of two championship runs. So basically I have four favorite teams on the top-2 levels. When I began to cheer for Ässät, Heinola had a division-2 team (which correlates to something like ECHL, although, clearly, promotions are possible)

Now my question to you is: In your opinion, what should I do? Abandon three teams? Which three?

edit. For sure I know which team to cheer for when they face one another, so that's not the problem here.

Last edited by Jaymond Flurrie: 01-04-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:

So are you saying that if you live in Hawaii you have absolutely no right to select anything else than LA kings as your favorite team?

Last edited by Jaymond Flurrie: 01-04-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old
01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Preds fan 100%, but I will root for the Caps when they play as I live in DC and they're in the Eastern Conference. That said, when the Preds meet the Caps, it's not even a question who I want to win. I think it's alright to have a team in the other conference that you have a fondness for (see Senapred or Devilpred alliances during the playoffs), but being an equal fan of two teams just doesn't work.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Preds fan 100%, but I will root for the Caps when they play as I live in DC and they're in the Eastern Conference. That said, when the Preds meet the Caps, it's not even a question who I want to win. I think it's alright to have a team in the other conference that you have a fondness for (see Senapred or Devilpred alliances during the playoffs), but being an equal fan of two teams just doesn't work.

This really is my point. It's not so black and white but as long as that choice is always the same, it's okay.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Komarov77

Well it wouldn't be hard to choose between two favorite but if you count the 1st on out it would get a lot harder.

Komarov77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Oilers and Sharks.

First off, 2 western teams in the final would be baffling.

Second, I would go Oilers 100%. I like the Sharks as a number 2 to follow when the Oilers aren't playing, but they are nowhere near Oilers in terms of who I cheer for.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:01 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
So are you saying that if you live in Hawaii you have absolutely no right to select anything else than LA kings as your favorite team?
yes because there are obviously no exceptions, and hawaii wouldn't fall under the same category of having no real geographical allegiances or anything, similar to those nhl fans from europe, etc.
i'm speaking more of the type of people who've lived their entire lives in st. louis, for example, but are penguins fans for some reason.

im not saying don't do it, or insulting anyone who does. i just personally don't understand it. if i lived in hawaii, i would choose 1 team and adhere to that team as the one i remained loyal and passionate to and since there's no real logical choice based off of location, i'd just pick one i liked for whatever reason, but again, that's just my opinion.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:05 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Would root for all day every day

HisIceness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:05 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Predators and Leafs.

Yikes - that would be a tough one. On one hand, I would want the Predators to win because seeing them in the SCF seems to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Unfortunately, these days it seems like the same could be said about the Maple Leafs.

In the end, I would most likely end up cheering for the Leafs. It would be a tough one to watch though.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
yes because there are obviously no exceptions, and hawaii wouldn't fall under the same category of having no real geographical allegiances or anything, similar to those nhl fans from europe, etc.
i'm speaking more of the type of people who've lived their entire lives in st. louis, for example, but are penguins fans for some reason.

im not saying don't do it, or insulting anyone who does. i just personally don't understand it. if i lived in hawaii, i would choose 1 team and adhere to that team as the one i remained loyal and passionate to and since there's no real logical choice based off of location, i'd just pick one i liked for whatever reason, but again, that's just my opinion.
I really don't think it needs to have anything to do with the geography. But I agree with people that you just can't jump from team to team just because some happens to get good results and your old favorite didn't.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

If it ended up being the Blues v. the Penguins in the SCF, I would be one broke dude after that series .

I would still pull for the Pens though, cause they are my team, but would be very happy in the Blues pulled it off as well, being their first cup and all.

dr robbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:23 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I don't understand how anyone could be equally passionate for two teams. The Avs are my favorite western team and I always root for them when they're not playing the Panthers (or maybe Islanders). If they had a rematch of '96 against the Panthers, there's no question that I hope the Panthers destroy the Avs. I might end up completely hating the Avs after all is said and done too.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:33 PM
NJDevils7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
I guess that makes sense. If the Preds are your team but you pull for the Caps because you live in D.C. It would really only work with teams from different conferences. But like you said, you have to be pulling for one team 100%, without a doubt. I can't understand "not knowing who to root for".

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

The idea of having two favorite teams has never made sense to me. I'm a huge fan of the game of hockey as a whole and I can understand following teams that are fun to watch and geographically nearby if your favorite one is far away. That's what I do for the Flyers since they're the closest and most popular team in my area, but I would never, ever root for them over the Islanders.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:04 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Well, I am a Flames fan first but LA and NJ are my 2ndary teams. I just really enjoyed watching the series, and was happy to see LA get their first Cup. I had already watched NJ win 2 so, I wasn't too heart broken that they lost.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:07 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils7 View Post
IMO, if someone has 2 favorite teams, they aren't a true fan. Maybe a die hard hockey fan, but not a true fan of either team.
How the **** can you be a die hard fan if you don't die hard with YOUR team?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:08 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper View Post
I don't have two favorite teams. there is my favorite and the other 29 teams. some I hate less then others.
Same here, although i do have some i like, but theyre far from being favorites...

Detroit for example, i really like them and id be happy if they won the cup, but **** them if theyre playing the habs

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:09 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
How the **** can you be a die hard fan if you don't die hard with YOUR team?
One could say that a die hard hockey fan is a fan of the game and can therefore like teams based on their style of play, legacy, etc....

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils7 View Post
I guess that makes sense. If the Preds are your team but you pull for the Caps because you live in D.C. It would really only work with teams from different conferences. But like you said, you have to be pulling for one team 100%, without a doubt. I can't understand "not knowing who to root for".
Very nice post. I'm from NY/NJ but live in Buffalo now. So the Sabres are a 2nd team for me to look at and root for going to games, but when the Rangers are in town, when the Rangers are on TV, when the Rangers are playing in the playoffs, when they face eachother, It's NYR 100%.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Here comes the "oh I'm a real fan, I don't root for two teams" crowd

I think it's perfectly fine to follow another team as long as all bets are off when they're playing each other.

Nobody loves the Rangers more than I do. It doesn't mean I can't watch a Predators game here and there or buy a freakin T-shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Very nice post. I'm from NY/NJ but live in Buffalo now. So the Sabres are a 2nd team for me to look at and root for going to games, but when the Rangers are in town, when the Rangers are on TV, when the Rangers are playing in the playoffs, when they face eachother, It's NYR 100%.
This man owns a Ryan Miller jersey, don't believe anything he says!

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:10 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

dont have a second team until quebec city comes back with a franchise.

did like philly when they had forsberg though.

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:12 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Here comes the "oh I'm a real fan, I don't root for two teams" crowd

I think it's perfectly fine to follow another team as long as all bets are off when they're playing each other.

Nobody loves the Rangers more than I do. It doesn't mean I can't watch a Predators game here and there or buy a freakin T-shirt.
I agree with you, I love the Devils but if they are playing the Flames there is no question in my mind who im rooting for.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote