HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Elias Lindholm vs Barkov

View Poll Results: Who would you take between Barkov and Elias Lindholm
Barkov 116 64.44%
Elias Lindholm 64 35.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
toewsintangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
lindholm has like 2 + hits in every game. barkov never hits, is not his game.
When a small player hits and nobody notices, did that hit even exist?

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:55 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
6'3 210 pounds vs 6'0 190 pounds for instance. There never has been any doubts about the roughness of Barkov and Lindholm isn't that physical to begin with..
Just because Barkov has the size doesn't mean he hits more. Lindholm has a more aggresive style of play than Barkov does.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:59 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:

he is not small, he is 6'0" and 192 lbs and he is strong.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
nki

Quote:
You should ask Mike Richards...or David Booth but he probably doesn't remember.

Last edited by nki: 01-04-2013 at 02:15 PM.
nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:08 PM
thomast

Quote:
why? he hits more + harder and plays more intense game.
Lindholm is more aggressive and intense player you're right and that is the flashy side but Barkov is much stronger and more effective player near the boards which is very important in the NHL in offensive and defensive game. Barkov outpowers clear majority of men in FEL like he is the man and other guy is an kid. Barkov is going to be much stronger than he is now. Barkov has very very high compete level and he fights/works hard for every puck.

Barkov doesen't hit much but his game is based on smart positioning, giving good pressure and hard work. I don't think that Lindström or Datsyuk are/were aggressive. Barkov has that veteran presence in the game. Never seem to be in hurry and is ice cool in every situation. Barkov is the player who can control the game effectively even without the puck. Giving more space for his teammates in offensive zone and in the defensive zone forcing the puck in the corners by taking space away for opposite players. Barkov is amazing at the receiving attacks at the neutral zone with his positioning. Alot of times Barkov forces the puck carrier go near the boards when he tries to into offensive zone. Near the line at the boards Barkov gives an small body bump which end as offside or defenseman getting the puck. That is one of the invisible plays where Barkov is very good at.

IMO different type of players. That hard hitting style of Elias Lindholm will make him very effective winger aswell but if he need to control the game as a center Lindholm can do it very well but not as good as Barkov.

Quote:
Hitting is all about timing. If you're smallish you can be very effective hitter and Lindholm is good hitter.

Last edited by thomast: 01-04-2013 at 02:22 PM.
thomast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Gaps

Quote:
lindholm is much more physical than barkov.
So what? More physical= more talented? Ummm nope.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:14 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Never seen Barkov. I would love the leafs to somehow get Lindholm. Is he a center? Reminds me of Backstrom. Swedish players prove to be solid.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:15 PM
nki

Barkov certainly has the size factor, which is going to play a role in his puck possession game and reach. I would compare him to Kopitar in that sense, Kopitar does not initiate a lot of physical contact but uses it to protect the puck both because he's heavy and because he utilizes his reach, both of those factors come into play in his own zone as well. But I believe Lindholm actually plays a more "truculent" direct game to borrow Burke's phrase . He is more decisive, abrasive with the puck a quick strike type of game if you will, where Barkov tends to play a more calm calculated game. You could see the same dynamic in play on the Kings championship team where you had both styles in Kopitar and Richards. I see the same dynamic stylistically in Barkov and Lindholm.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:16 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
6'3 210 pounds vs 6'0 190 pounds for instance. There never has been any doubts about the roughness of Barkov and Lindholm isn't that physical to begin with..
lol

Spezza is bigger than Chris Neil, doesn't mean Spezza is a better hitter and more physical.

I would take Lindholm, I like his offensive much more, much more creative and a great shot.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:21 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Barkov certainly has the size factor, which is going to play a role in his puck possession game and reach. I would compare him to Kopitar in that sense, Kopitar does not initiate a lot of physical contact but uses it to protect the puck both because he's heavy and because he utilizes his reach, both of those factors come into play in his own zone as well. But I believe Lindholm actually plays a more "truculent" direct game to borrow Burke's phrase . He is more decisive, abrasive with the puck a quick strike type of game if you will, where Barkov tends to play a more calm calculated game. You could see the same dynamic in play on the Kings championship team where you had both styles in Kopitar and Richards. I see the same dynamic stylistically in Barkov and Lindholm.
Pretty amazing post. A lot of truth in it.

I don't know if Burke would take Lindholm instead of Barkov. Sure Lindholm is his type of player but Barkov would be much better fit in the line with Kessel etc. Barkov could take care of the defensive side and make alot of space to Kessel in the offensive zone which is dangerous idea. Barkov could step into leaf roster right away. There is not much difference in Sundin and Barkov.

Last edited by thomast: 01-04-2013 at 02:26 PM.
thomast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

I don't like a prospect whose skating is not extraordinary. Not to compare Barkov, but in Montreal, we already have our problems with Guillaume Latendresse. Lindholm is a very strong 2-way player and he's been called the next best Swedish player. I went with him.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Smallz

I think I would take Lindholm right now

Barkov looks like he might become a Jordan Staal/Sean Couturier type player (not style wise, but output wise)

Nothing wrong with that but if I'm picking in the top 5 I'd rather take a chance on a guy with higher offensive upside

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:52 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Barkov, AINEC.

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:53 PM
EverybodyLovesRay

Easily Barkov for me.

I just love his smart overall play.

EverybodyLovesRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Loffer

Lindholm will be number one European skater in the post WJC rankings.

1. Jones/McKinnon
2. McKinnon/Jones
3. Drouin
4. Lindholm
5. Barkov

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:57 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
Barkov, AINEC.
Oh but it is close, please share your wisdom on how it's not even close. I like it when people say that but don't even explain.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:08 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
It's kinda of silly for people to judge Barkov based on what they've seen in the WJC.

From someone who has watched about a dozen games of his in the FEL, this kid has offensive potential through the roof. I completely agree that Lindholm is more physical and feisty and a better skater and flashier. But Anze Kopitar isn't flashy, and Joe Thornton isn't flashy. Those are the two guys I'd liken Barkov to, if I had too. He has elite passing skills and vision, but he can absolutely put the puck in the net (Kopitar is always good for 25 and Thornton had one of the longest streaks of 20+ goals going until he only got 19 two years ago). He's an elite defensive player and he just turned 17 four months ago. He may not be overtly physical, but it's bloody impossible to knock him around on the boards or behind the net. team-first kind of offensive player.

I'm a huge fan of Lindholm, and despite having only seen him play 2 or 3 times outside of the WJC, I see a potential superstar in this kid as well. However, I just can't take him over Barkov, who is such a complete player, in a man's body, playing as well as he has against men. If he can bring his skating up to even average, he's a force to be reckoned with.

The amazing thing is that we can even have a debate over two players of this caliber who are probably going to go 3-5.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:10 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
Oh but it is close, please share your wisdom on how it's not even close. I like it when people say that but don't even explain.
Bigger, NHL-ready, younger.. and he doesn't benefit from the Swedish hype machine (you know, the yearly next Forsberg, Zetterberg or Lidstrom)..

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:15 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Bigger, NHL-ready, younger.. and he doesn't benefit from the Swedish hype machine (you know, the yearly next Forsberg, Zetterberg or Lidstrom)..
Please, you North Americans are far better at hyping our players then we are tbh. Also it's no secret that the SEL produce a lot more NHL'ers than the FEL.
With that said, I can't answer this poll.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:16 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Please, just because Barkov has all of the things you mentioned doesn't mean that he is far above Lindholm. If you compare them defensively yes it's not close Barkov is way better. But Lindholm has better hockey IQ, is a better skater and overall is better offensively and shows more upside than Barkov does. Barkov is very young and still has alot of room for improvement and might end up being better who knows?

Old
01-04-2013, 03:18 PM
JacketsFanWest

I've seen a lot more of Lindholm than Barkov, and I understand that Barkov is younger. I want to like Barkov, but... I've been less than impressed in the WJC games I've watched.

The only thing I see Barkov has over Lindholm is size. Lindholm has great offensive instincts, passing ability, playmaking and shot. He's aggressive, and willing to go into the crease to make plays. He's a good skater and great on the forecheck.

With Barkov, last year at the WCJ I noticed how slow he seemed and I'm not sure his skating has improved since then. Maybe he's still growing, and that can have an impact on players (Mats Sundin, for instance, I recall having trouble adjusting his skating around that age)

I'd rate Lindholm better in every category currently. Barkov might have higher potential since because of his size. But I like Lindholm's compete level as well. As a Jackets fan, I'd rather they draft someone like Lindholm who's highly competitive and has an intensity to his game.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:21 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
Lindholm has better hockey IQ
Well that just isn't true. I would be interested to hear how Lindholm has better hockey IQ, Barkov has some of the best hockey smarts I've witnessed.

YARR123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:22 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Can only base my opinion on what I have seen from the WJC. And then it's Lindholm by quite the margin. But I wont vote since I havnt seen Barkov play in the SM-Liiga and he's been dynamite there so I cant really have an honest opinion on him.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Tuomaz

Many says Lindholm is better offensively but I have yet to see proof of this. I mean shouldn't he be already producing more points than Barkov if that is the case?

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:27 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Many says Lindholm is better offensively but I have yet to see proof of this. I mean shouldn't he be already producing more points than Barkov if that is the case?
Don't be a stat hogger please, Lindholm is playing against better competition in the SEL and is putting up stats that are incredible for a guy his age.