HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry rants about foreign players in the CHL

Old
01-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

vCash: 500
It must burn Don Cherry's ass that Seth Jones, an American, is playing in Portland.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:39 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
You can't play in a private non-government funded league because your parents don't pay taxes in Canada!
We already limit the number of non North Americans on a team. I rarely if every hear complaints about that. OMG! We are already xenos!!

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Surely it costs more to send your son over from a new continent than someone already living in Canada?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Shawnathon

I think people are misunderstanding the true meaning of this comment. Cherry even admits he's being a sore loser. What he's getting at is Canada is developing all these hockey players and you may as well slap Canada as the team name of every team in this tournament because its Canada's hockey programs that's developing them into the future stars they are.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:46 PM
TOML

Don's been this way forever.

Call me when he supports euros.

TOML

TOML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:47 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
I think people are misunderstanding the true meaning of this comment. Cherry even admits he's being a sore loser. What he's getting at is Canada is developing all these hockey players and you may as well slap Canada as the team name of every team in this tournament because its Canada's hockey programs that's developing them into the future stars they are.
And? Did we hear anyone complain about foreign players the NHL after Nagano and Torino?

The CHL is a for-profit organization who looks to field the best possible talent; their restriction on foreigners is there just so that they don't push buttons of pseudo patriots like Cherry too much.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Absolutely preposterous. I wonder how many of the Canadian kids playing in the CHL nowadays are second or third generation Canadians themselves? The idea that the door should be shut on someone playing hockey in a great league because of where they were born is moronic.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:48 PM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
So we should praise him for having an unusually uneducated opinion?

Allowing foreign kids to come to the CHL is a win-win scenario for both talented Canadians, the CHL and the NHL:

-Talent pool is expanded, which means:
*Tougher competition for Canadians; better development
*More skilled players for spectators to watch; increased revenues; less likelihood of taxpayer money going to support the leagues

-Foreign kids adapt easier to the North American game, which speeds the transition from junior to the AHL/NHL and improves the talent pool for those leagues. Also helps them want to stay in the continent instead of playing abroad.

So what if some kids end up being "pushed away" because of better talent? Is Cherry advocating for the CHL to be a charity case now? Or does he think that parents spending thousands on a sport for his kid entitles him to participate in a competitive league? Does he think parents abroad never have to spend a dime on hockey either?
No. Like I said I don't share his opinion and don't think we should "praise" him on anything. I just like the fact that he wasn't afraid to voice his opinions in a public manner. It's refreshing. That's all I stated.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:50 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Does this mean that Canadian players aren't allowed to play overseas in lockouts? After all. It's not there leagues.

Noting but Xenophobia. If players weren't able to come over the game as a whole would be worse.
I would understand other counties wanting to keep their junior hockey leagues for their own kids.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:52 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Absolutely preposterous. I wonder how many of the Canadian kids playing in the CHL nowadays are second or third generation Canadians themselves? The idea that the door should be shut on someone playing hockey in a great league because of where they were born is moronic.
We restrict many things in this country based on where you were born.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
We restrict many things in this country based on where you were born.
I understand that - but hockey shouldn't be added to the list.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:55 PM
pigpen65

Cry Baby. Need that gif of Crosby crying replaced by Cherry.

pigpen65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Ryker

I don't agree nor disagree with him, but I don't like his reasoning. It all comes down to what the CHL has as its goal. If they want to be a developmental league for Canadians only, then sure, he has a point. But if they are going for a status of, say, the best junior league in the world, then they have to allow foreigners to play there. I don't think any of the two goals is inherently "better" than the other, it comes down to the preference of people running the CHL.

Having said that, I would find it a bit strange if a league as large as CHL acted as a huge development camp for Team Canada, which is what the first of the two options would basically imply. Personally, I like the current format where the number of foreigners is limited just due to a charm a league has if most of the players are from the home country.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Kshahdoo

Sure, he is right! All non-canadians must be thrown out of CHL!

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffy66 View Post
He would have a point if the chl was a govt program paid for by the canadian govt. Other than that its a sneaky way to say he doesnt like foreigners in Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Cherry would have a point if the CHL was a publicly-funded entity that offered positions based on equitable principles. Which obviously isn't. It's like saying a Canadian shouldn't accept a scholarship to play in the NCAA because he doesn't pay taxes to the US government. That doesn't even make sense.
+1 on these comments.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
I don't understand the mindset of some Canadians. So what if a few Swedes, Finns, and Russians play in the CHL. It's a top junior league and playing in it is a great way to garner the attention of NHL teams.
Hey, it's "our game" ok? I hate when that excuse gets pulled out but sadly many believe we shouldn't allow these Euros in the CHL because it's our game- which to me doesn't mean we own it exclusively, are the be-all and end-all 100% authority, have the right to dominate or the right to say what's best, it only means we created, popularized and love the game more than any other country. We want to be the best, fair enough. But it shouldn't come while shunning others. So the whole "our game" thing can be taken in many different contexts. For me, I believe if it's our game we should share it once in a while and that includes allowing select European imports. There's a cap on them anyway, which is fair.

It bothers Don Cherry even though these Canadian bantam kids who get kept out would likely never get drafted, never get so far as to receive scholarship money and be lucky to make an ECHL career at best. But of course, any Canadian kid who is denied the chance to play in the CHL even for a cup of coffee is an injustice caused by allowing foreign kids to play in the CHL This is the sort of mentality and culture that inhibits the game's growth instead of strengthening it. The game is already huge in Canada. What's 2 teenagers realizing they should pursue other dreams going to do to hurt that? It ain't PC and he has the right to say it, but I have the right to say Cherry's being a loudmouth letting his patriotism blind him once again.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:04 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I understand that - but hockey shouldn't be added to the list.
So what's the imaginary line in the sand?

Old
01-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Doesnt the CHL allow only 2 or 3 non NA players per team already?

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:08 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

It doesn't look like he distinguishes import players from non-Canadians in the CHL. What about the US kid whose Dad never contributed a penny to Canada, but who is drafted and reports to his CHL team?

The man is a dinosaur, but he's effective -- if we're talking about something preposterous he's said, he's done his job.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Does this mean that Canadian players aren't allowed to play overseas in lockouts? After all. It's not there leagues.

Noting but Xenophobia. If players weren't able to come over the game as a whole would be worse.
To be fair Don Cherry has said on numerous occasions that he doesn't like having locked out NHL players go overseas to play as they are taking away someone's job.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:20 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
The W allows 2, I assume it's the same elsewhere. No xenophobic outrage over the actual rule, but Cherry brings something up (and clearly several people here didn't actually read the article) and suddenly it's news.

Don uses the same 2-3 tricks over and over to keep relevant. You have to applaud his shamelessness.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Do Americans count as an Import Player? Because in this instance Don Cherry is probably referring to American players.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:22 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
To be fair Don Cherry has said on numerous occasions that he doesn't like having locked out NHL players go overseas to play as they are taking away someone's job.
I take serious issue with that as well, players in the middle of a labour dispute just going elsewhere to play. I wonder what those same guys would think about scab players next year?

Old
01-04-2013, 02:22 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Do Americans count as an Import Player? Because in this instance Don Cherry is probably referring to American players.
It's non North American.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
And he's wrong. Its not like these kids are born in Sweden or the US or in Finland and come over to Canada at 2 years of age. These guys are coming over as 15, 16, 17, 18 year olds. They have a ton development still left, but their base was developed in the country they grew up in.

====
I also thought that Cherry was referring to the Americans. To me its a "meh" reaction from me. Cherry is a tool. Let him continue to be a tool. The CHL aren't bringing in these kids for altruistic reasons. They want to win, plain and simple.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote