HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Varlamov will be a franchise goalie in 2 years

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Mouse21*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
The Avs have a bad defense but they aren't terrible defensively, they just suck because they can't do anything other than play defense.

But the biggest problem with Varly is his consistency.
well that is incorrect.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:33 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Luckily for Varly the Avs have never had a franchise goalie so he won't feel the pressure of being compared to one.
How dare you! The Avs have definitely had franchise goalies in the past including the Swiss Sensation David Aebsicher and the Slovakian Dream Peter Budaj. To say that the Avs have not had a franchise goalie is just...just...ignorant.

Seriously though, I think Varlamov is one of the most talented goaltenders in the league. I think having JS Giguere as the other goalie will really help Varly in the long run as Giguere's positioning and calm play style will only help out Varlamov's game. He already showed me last year that he is headed in the right direction, and to see him continue to play well in the KHL is fantastic.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 1077
The dude became elite/franchise when he made everyone change how they pronounced his name.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Baby Punisher

I thought the Caps gaveup on him to quickly. I realy thing the year he spent playing with Giggy has really helped him, & Giggy as well.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

As a Pens fan, I was happy the Caps traded Varlamov. In that 7 game series, Varly was a freaking beast the first 6 games. Made an insane amount of saves and kept that series close. He definitely has a ton of potential but always seems to be hit by the injury bug.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I'd be surprised if he became a franchise goalie. The injury history isn't good and he lets in unexpected goals at unfortunate times. He'd need to become more consistent, and injuries won't help with that.

01-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

There hasn't ever been a question about his athleticism and talent. Everyone has known he's capable of stealing games and absolutely shutting down the opponent. The questions have been about his health and mental composure. His style of play had led to a bunch of injuries in his short career, which led to fears that he'd be unable to stay healthy and that some of the repeated lower body injuries could become nagging issues that impacted his play. Additionally, he'd be prone to mental gaffes and softy goals that would seemingly get in his head. Once he'd commit a mistake, sometimes it would snowball and he'd fall apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I thought the Caps gaveup on him to quickly. I realy thing the year he spent playing with Giggy has really helped him, & Giggy as well.
He forced his way out of Washington. He wanted a guarantee that he would be the #1 goaltender and a contract that matched that from the Caps. With Neuvirth and Holtby in the fold, the Caps were unwilling to do that, so Varlamov threatened to head to the KHL and play for Yaroslavl Lokomotiv. Colorado then offered an excellent package for Varlamov, so the Caps bit. They ended up with Filip Forsberg and Mike Ribeiro (at the added expense of Cody Eakin), a pretty darn good haul.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I thought the Caps gaveup on him to quickly.
holtby and neuvirth, forsberg and no controversy

vs

varlamov, holtby on the bench, neuvirth in the AHL, no forsberg

no thanks

Old
01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Halpysback

If he stops getting injured and starts playing consistently over longer periods of time he'll be the Russian version of Carey Price.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:04 PM
dahlenrules

He will get on an extremely big hot streak, and then his groin will explode.

He was my favorite Caps goalie since Kolzig, but he was like Semin in goal as far as consistency.

I didn't like trading him initially, but i'm happy with it now.

Last edited by dahlenrules: 01-04-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old
01-04-2013, 04:06 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
How dare you! The Avs have definitely had franchise goalies in the past including the Swiss Sensation David Aebsicher and the Slovakian Dream Peter Budaj. To say that the Avs have not had a franchise goalie is just...just...ignorant.
Sensations and Dreams sound like awesome late 80's nightclubs.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
HatTricK09

I remember when I first heard of him, during the Caps-Pens playoff when he kept making highlight reel saves.
So glad he is playing great, specially with my 2nd most fav team, hope he becomes a great goaltender for them for the next few years

Old
01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
holtby and neuvirth, forsberg and no controversy

vs

varlamov, holtby on the bench, neuvirth in the AHL, no forsberg

no thanks
If Washington still controlled the rights to all three of them, I have no doubt that it would be a Varlamov/Neuvirth tandem in Washington and Holtby would be in the AHL. Holtby is still waiver exempt, while Neuvirth is not. If they tried to keep Neuvy in Hershey, another team would claim him on the waiver wire.

One of the three had to be traded before Holtby became waiver eligible, or else they were going to lose one of them and get nothing in return.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:35 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Best deal in a long time for the Caps. Like someone else mentioned, they got Forsberg and Ribiero out of it. Forsberg is alot like a Backstrom or a Johansson, very good player. Ribiero could help the Caps make the Cup, they were missing a 2nd line center.

Varlamov is a great guy but very inconsistent. He's a great goalie to stop unbelievable shots, but not a very good consistent goaltender. He can stand on his head but aren't in the same company as guys like Lundqvist, Brodeur, Thomas, etc.

Holtby made miraculous saves this past season yet was consistent for the majority of the time. AND Holtby has a bigger upside.

Neuvirth is going to be a good goalie, maybe not Varlamov.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Luckily for Varly the Avs have never had a franchise goalie so he won't feel the pressure of being compared to one.
What are you talking about !?

They had Peter Budaj...

Old
01-04-2013, 04:44 PM
brom7

Talented Goaltender for sure. He won me over in that Penguins/Capitals series. He played out of his mind and made some fantastic stops.

I would agree too this.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
The dude became elite/franchise when he made everyone change how they pronounced his name.

logged in just to give this witty comment some acclaim.

Well done!

Old
01-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Gustavo Fring
-35 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Best deal in a long time for the Caps. Like someone else mentioned, they got Forsberg and Ribiero out of it. Forsberg is alot like a Backstrom or a Johansson, very good player. Ribiero could help the Caps make the Cup, they were missing a 2nd line center.

Varlamov is a great guy but very inconsistent. He's a great goalie to stop unbelievable shots, but not a very good consistent goaltender. He can stand on his head but aren't in the same company as guys like Lundqvist, Brodeur, Thomas, etc.

Holtby made miraculous saves this past season yet was consistent for the majority of the time. AND Holtby has a bigger upside.

Sums it up.

Plus the Caps gave up Varley and STILL have arguably the best goaltending core/stable in the NHL in Holtby, Nuevirth, and Grabauer. They dealt from a position of strength and gave up the oft injuried headache in the process.

Best wishes to Varley but I do this deal 100 out of a 100 times.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:46 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Bye Stefan Elliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
Sums it up.

Plus the Caps gave up Varley and STILL have arguably the best goaltending core/stable in the NHL in Holtby, Nuevirth, and Grabauer. They dealt from a position of strength and gave up the oft injuried headache in the process.

Best wishes to Varley but I do this deal 100 out of a 100 times.
do you mean young core/ or core in general, because i would take alot of other tandems over washington's. and grabauer doesnt strike me as a lights out prospect.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
He's like the Russian Leclaire, I hope the Avs have more luck with him than the Jackets/Sens did with Leclaire. Both are very fun goalies to watch when they are on

Old
01-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Mouse21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post

Holtby has a bigger upside.

incorrect.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

I agree with the OP. I can definitely see this coming true. You could see his potential with the Caps and even in his first season with the Avs. Wouldn't surprise me if he does turn into a true franchise goalie.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
There hasn't ever been a question about his athleticism and talent. Everyone has known he's capable of stealing games and absolutely shutting down the opponent. The questions have been about his health and mental composure. His style of play had led to a bunch of injuries in his short career, which led to fears that he'd be unable to stay healthy and that some of the repeated lower body injuries could become nagging issues that impacted his play. Additionally, he'd be prone to mental gaffes and softy goals that would seemingly get in his head. Once he'd commit a mistake, sometimes it would snowball and he'd fall apart.

He forced his way out of Washington. He wanted a guarantee that he would be the #1 goaltender and a contract that matched that from the Caps. With Neuvirth and Holtby in the fold, the Caps were unwilling to do that, so Varlamov threatened to head to the KHL and play for Yaroslavl Lokomotiv. Colorado then offered an excellent package for Varlamov, so the Caps bit. They ended up with Filip Forsberg and Mike Ribeiro (at the added expense of Cody Eakin), a pretty darn good haul.
Him getting traded to Colorado literally saved his life.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Gustavo Fring
-35 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
do you mean young core/ or core in general, because i would take alot of other tandems over washington's. and grabauer doesnt strike me as a lights out prospect.
Young core. Obviously I would love a Lundqvist, Quick or Price, but what he have is very nice in terms of flexibility.

And yes Grabauer is the best of the three according to all accounts.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
No problem, I'm 6'3", 213 and I have no hands I'm used to it
I'm impressed with your typing.

Closed Thread