HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Varlamov will be a franchise goalie in 2 years

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2013, 03:24 PM
  #26
Mouse21*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
The Avs have a bad defense but they aren't terrible defensively, they just suck because they can't do anything other than play defense.

But the biggest problem with Varly is his consistency.
well that is incorrect.

Mouse21* is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:33 PM
  #27
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,043
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Luckily for Varly the Avs have never had a franchise goalie so he won't feel the pressure of being compared to one.
How dare you! The Avs have definitely had franchise goalies in the past including the Swiss Sensation David Aebsicher and the Slovakian Dream Peter Budaj. To say that the Avs have not had a franchise goalie is just...just...ignorant.

Seriously though, I think Varlamov is one of the most talented goaltenders in the league. I think having JS Giguere as the other goalie will really help Varly in the long run as Giguere's positioning and calm play style will only help out Varlamov's game. He already showed me last year that he is headed in the right direction, and to see him continue to play well in the KHL is fantastic.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:41 PM
  #28
Shakey Rustie
2L
 
Shakey Rustie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Western Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 1077
The dude became elite/franchise when he made everyone change how they pronounced his name.

Shakey Rustie is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:46 PM
  #29
Baby Punisher
Registered User
 
Baby Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,511
vCash: 500
I thought the Caps gaveup on him to quickly. I realy thing the year he spent playing with Giggy has really helped him, & Giggy as well.

Baby Punisher is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
  #30
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!
 
Jules Winnfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,853
vCash: 500
As a Pens fan, I was happy the Caps traded Varlamov. In that 7 game series, Varly was a freaking beast the first 6 games. Made an insane amount of saves and kept that series close. He definitely has a ton of potential but always seems to be hit by the injury bug.

Jules Winnfield is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
  #31
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,913
vCash: 156
I'd be surprised if he became a franchise goalie. The injury history isn't good and he lets in unexpected goals at unfortunate times. He'd need to become more consistent, and injuries won't help with that.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:55 PM
  #32
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,805
vCash: 500
There hasn't ever been a question about his athleticism and talent. Everyone has known he's capable of stealing games and absolutely shutting down the opponent. The questions have been about his health and mental composure. His style of play had led to a bunch of injuries in his short career, which led to fears that he'd be unable to stay healthy and that some of the repeated lower body injuries could become nagging issues that impacted his play. Additionally, he'd be prone to mental gaffes and softy goals that would seemingly get in his head. Once he'd commit a mistake, sometimes it would snowball and he'd fall apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I thought the Caps gaveup on him to quickly. I realy thing the year he spent playing with Giggy has really helped him, & Giggy as well.
He forced his way out of Washington. He wanted a guarantee that he would be the #1 goaltender and a contract that matched that from the Caps. With Neuvirth and Holtby in the fold, the Caps were unwilling to do that, so Varlamov threatened to head to the KHL and play for Yaroslavl Lokomotiv. Colorado then offered an excellent package for Varlamov, so the Caps bit. They ended up with Filip Forsberg and Mike Ribeiro (at the added expense of Cody Eakin), a pretty darn good haul.

Mystlyfe is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
  #33
Harvey Specter
Boooooone
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oxford-Malmö-Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,145
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I thought the Caps gaveup on him to quickly.
holtby and neuvirth, forsberg and no controversy

vs

varlamov, holtby on the bench, neuvirth in the AHL, no forsberg

no thanks

Harvey Specter is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
  #34
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
If he stops getting injured and starts playing consistently over longer periods of time he'll be the Russian version of Carey Price.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:04 PM
  #35
dahlenrules
Registered User
 
dahlenrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,094
vCash: 500
He will get on an extremely big hot streak, and then his groin will explode.

He was my favorite Caps goalie since Kolzig, but he was like Semin in goal as far as consistency.

I didn't like trading him initially, but i'm happy with it now.


Last edited by dahlenrules: 01-04-2013 at 04:12 PM.
dahlenrules is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:06 PM
  #36
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
How dare you! The Avs have definitely had franchise goalies in the past including the Swiss Sensation David Aebsicher and the Slovakian Dream Peter Budaj. To say that the Avs have not had a franchise goalie is just...just...ignorant.
Sensations and Dreams sound like awesome late 80's nightclubs.

craigcaulks* is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
  #37
HatTricK09
Registered User
 
HatTricK09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,412
vCash: 50
I remember when I first heard of him, during the Caps-Pens playoff when he kept making highlight reel saves.
So glad he is playing great, specially with my 2nd most fav team, hope he becomes a great goaltender for them for the next few years

HatTricK09 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
  #38
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
holtby and neuvirth, forsberg and no controversy

vs

varlamov, holtby on the bench, neuvirth in the AHL, no forsberg

no thanks
If Washington still controlled the rights to all three of them, I have no doubt that it would be a Varlamov/Neuvirth tandem in Washington and Holtby would be in the AHL. Holtby is still waiver exempt, while Neuvirth is not. If they tried to keep Neuvy in Hershey, another team would claim him on the waiver wire.

One of the three had to be traded before Holtby became waiver eligible, or else they were going to lose one of them and get nothing in return.

Mystlyfe is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:35 PM
  #39
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Best deal in a long time for the Caps. Like someone else mentioned, they got Forsberg and Ribiero out of it. Forsberg is alot like a Backstrom or a Johansson, very good player. Ribiero could help the Caps make the Cup, they were missing a 2nd line center.

Varlamov is a great guy but very inconsistent. He's a great goalie to stop unbelievable shots, but not a very good consistent goaltender. He can stand on his head but aren't in the same company as guys like Lundqvist, Brodeur, Thomas, etc.

Holtby made miraculous saves this past season yet was consistent for the majority of the time. AND Holtby has a bigger upside.

Neuvirth is going to be a good goalie, maybe not Varlamov.

I Am Score* is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
  #40
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Luckily for Varly the Avs have never had a franchise goalie so he won't feel the pressure of being compared to one.
What are you talking about !?

They had Peter Budaj...

Analyzer is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:44 PM
  #41
brom7
Registered User
 
brom7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Talented Goaltender for sure. He won me over in that Penguins/Capitals series. He played out of his mind and made some fantastic stops.

I would agree too this.

brom7 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
  #42
The Colonel
Registered User
 
The Colonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
The dude became elite/franchise when he made everyone change how they pronounced his name.


logged in just to give this witty comment some acclaim.

Well done!

The Colonel is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 05:24 PM
  #43
Gustavo Fring
-35 ;)
 
Gustavo Fring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Best deal in a long time for the Caps. Like someone else mentioned, they got Forsberg and Ribiero out of it. Forsberg is alot like a Backstrom or a Johansson, very good player. Ribiero could help the Caps make the Cup, they were missing a 2nd line center.

Varlamov is a great guy but very inconsistent. He's a great goalie to stop unbelievable shots, but not a very good consistent goaltender. He can stand on his head but aren't in the same company as guys like Lundqvist, Brodeur, Thomas, etc.

Holtby made miraculous saves this past season yet was consistent for the majority of the time. AND Holtby has a bigger upside.

Neuvirth is going to be a good goalie, maybe not Varlamov.
Sums it up.

Plus the Caps gave up Varley and STILL have arguably the best goaltending core/stable in the NHL in Holtby, Nuevirth, and Grabauer. They dealt from a position of strength and gave up the oft injuried headache in the process.

Best wishes to Varley but I do this deal 100 out of a 100 times.

Gustavo Fring is online now  
Old
01-04-2013, 05:46 PM
  #44
skip2mybordeleau
Bye Stefan Elliott
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,021
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
Sums it up.

Plus the Caps gave up Varley and STILL have arguably the best goaltending core/stable in the NHL in Holtby, Nuevirth, and Grabauer. They dealt from a position of strength and gave up the oft injuried headache in the process.

Best wishes to Varley but I do this deal 100 out of a 100 times.
do you mean young core/ or core in general, because i would take alot of other tandems over washington's. and grabauer doesnt strike me as a lights out prospect.

skip2mybordeleau is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 06:09 PM
  #45
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?
 
Jovavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ClosedDoorMeeting
Country: Qatar
Posts: 10,760
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
He's like the Russian Leclaire, I hope the Avs have more luck with him than the Jackets/Sens did with Leclaire. Both are very fun goalies to watch when they are on

Jovavic is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 06:38 PM
  #46
Mouse21*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post

Holtby has a bigger upside.

Neuvirth is going to be a good goalie, maybe not Varlamov.
incorrect.

Mouse21* is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 06:46 PM
  #47
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions
 
Dragon Priest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Metalheaven
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
I agree with the OP. I can definitely see this coming true. You could see his potential with the Caps and even in his first season with the Avs. Wouldn't surprise me if he does turn into a true franchise goalie.

Dragon Priest is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 06:55 PM
  #48
Shawnathon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
There hasn't ever been a question about his athleticism and talent. Everyone has known he's capable of stealing games and absolutely shutting down the opponent. The questions have been about his health and mental composure. His style of play had led to a bunch of injuries in his short career, which led to fears that he'd be unable to stay healthy and that some of the repeated lower body injuries could become nagging issues that impacted his play. Additionally, he'd be prone to mental gaffes and softy goals that would seemingly get in his head. Once he'd commit a mistake, sometimes it would snowball and he'd fall apart.



He forced his way out of Washington. He wanted a guarantee that he would be the #1 goaltender and a contract that matched that from the Caps. With Neuvirth and Holtby in the fold, the Caps were unwilling to do that, so Varlamov threatened to head to the KHL and play for Yaroslavl Lokomotiv. Colorado then offered an excellent package for Varlamov, so the Caps bit. They ended up with Filip Forsberg and Mike Ribeiro (at the added expense of Cody Eakin), a pretty darn good haul.
Him getting traded to Colorado literally saved his life.

Shawnathon is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 07:29 PM
  #49
Gustavo Fring
-35 ;)
 
Gustavo Fring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
do you mean young core/ or core in general, because i would take alot of other tandems over washington's. and grabauer doesnt strike me as a lights out prospect.
Young core. Obviously I would love a Lundqvist, Quick or Price, but what he have is very nice in terms of flexibility.

And yes Grabauer is the best of the three according to all accounts.

Gustavo Fring is online now  
Old
01-04-2013, 07:47 PM
  #50
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,949
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
No problem, I'm 6'3", 213 and I have no hands I'm used to it
I'm impressed with your typing.

Bender is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.