HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Lindros Rumor Again

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Big Mama*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
The Pension Plan expects and annual rate of return of 8% - that is good, but not unreasonable considering ING gives me 3% on my piddly cash on hand.

Asset value does not translate into cash flow remember. And MLSE does have finanical obligations such that it needs to be profitable year over year.

Of course they could decide to become junk bond status in order to piss away an extra $30 million on payroll each year. But why?

Besides, besides typing on a local chat room what self interest do you have invested in the organization?

Your pension?

Your child's university education?
A 10 fold increase in value over ten years is a 26% annual rate of return. Far in excess of 8% annual rate of return. Cash flow ? Sell the team. Every leaf fan has contributed to that high rate of return. Certainly leaf fans can clamour for more spending to win the cup in this unique year. But of course it won't happen because leaf fans will continue spend money on the leafs ensuring MLSE profitablity. Why spend extra to win the cup if it does not improve returns. Until leaf fans withhold their cash it will be the same old story.

Old
12-09-2003, 06:31 PM
Evileye

I say go for him...

If the Rangers fall out of playoff contention and if he can be had for very little, I'd say get him.
Because he's a risk, the Leafs shouldn't have to pay too much for him since they will be able to sign him as a FA the moment he's available if they want to anyway.

I'm not saying I'm a Lindros fan, I just strongly believe that you would see the Lindros of old if he were a Leaf.
Yes he has shown to be very self-centred with his trade demands but he wouldn't have played for Team Canada those years if he demonstrated that type of personality on-ice or with his teammates.
He's very similar to Jagr in that if he's happy and motivated - there aren't many better hockey players around.

Just imagine a motivated Lindros laying it all out in a physical playoff series.

This shouldn't really be a hot topic until March though.

Old
12-10-2003, 03:35 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Tucker
A 10 fold increase in value over ten years is a 26% annual rate of return. Far in excess of 8% annual rate of return. Cash flow ? Sell the team. Every leaf fan has contributed to that high rate of return. Certainly leaf fans can clamour for more spending to win the cup in this unique year. But of course it won't happen because leaf fans will continue spend money on the leafs ensuring MLSE profitablity. Why spend extra to win the cup if it does not improve returns. Until leaf fans withhold their cash it will be the same old story.
But it is a good story. The Leafs have been very good for the past 6 years. They will probably make a tweak or two by the trade deadline and hopefully have a good run for the playoffs.

I just don't agree in spending money for the sake of spending money.

The Cup is great; I live north of the city, but if the Leafs ever win the Cup I am going to drive downtown right after the game and party until sunrise. Until then, I hate it when they lose a single game; I would rather have a consistent winner. I really enjoy just following this team on a daily basis.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:06 AM
nordique

vCash:
Maybe after Corson and Leeman we should stay away from players who have boinked teammates' wives.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:11 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
Maybe after Corson and Leeman we should stay away from players who have boinked teammates' wives.
Who did Corson do? I keep hearing this story all over the place.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:13 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
Corson didn't boink Almo's wife, it was a stupid rumour started by conspiracy theory freak on a bulletin board which of course spread through out the entire controversy loving peons of the public.

"IF" Corson did, do you really think Roberts or Domi would have allowed him to walk out of the dressing room in one piece?

Old
12-10-2003, 06:24 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Who did Corson do? I keep hearing this story all over the place.
It went like this. The team was on a road trip, Corson didn't accompany the team due to illness, on the road trip Almo suddenly left the team for "family related" reasons and it was never released as to the details. This started the wheels turning in someones head who decided to come up with a cockamany theory that ALmo left because he found out that Corson had screwed his wife. And it simply went from there. All BS.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:10 PM
Big Mama*

Quote:
But it is a good story. The Leafs have been very good for the past 6 years. They will probably make a tweak or two by the trade deadline and hopefully have a good run for the playoffs.

I just don't agree in spending money for the sake of spending money.

The Cup is great; I live north of the city, but if the Leafs ever win the Cup I am going to drive downtown right after the game and party until sunrise. Until then, I hate it when they lose a single game; I would rather have a consistent winner. I really enjoy just following this team on a daily basis.

I agree the leafs under Quinn have been excellent. But to tweak the roster they will have to add salary. I agree that spending money for the sake of spending is foolish. But this is a unique year where you can spend on a Lindros or Peca or an Aucoin, Matvichuk or Hamrilik and give up little in the way of players. You can take the salary on for this year only (except Peca) then go back to being frugal.

Old
12-10-2003, 07:09 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

ok how would it work

lindros poti for jagr,
then washington trades jagr to us:

lindros for jackman druken and ponikarovsky ?
maybe they can throw in gonchar too

Old
12-11-2003, 10:33 AM
theleafs

vCash:
Quote:
Lindros for Antropov?

Pass. Pass. Pass. Oh my god, Pass. please pass!

I feel faint...

I am going to PASSSSSSSS out!

No Lindros in Toronto PLEAAAAAAAASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's talk Defenceman!!!!

Old
12-11-2003, 12:10 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

listening to wfan in nyc last night.
comments on lindros:

-this guy is a shadow of his former self
-he cant handle the puck any more
-get rid of him, please
-they gotta do that deal: poti lindros for jagr

lindros has a no trade clause ( i think) and wouldnt like washingtown so a 3 way with toronto or detroit would have to do it.

Closed Thread