HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 11:14 AM
gstommylee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
http://www.king5.com/news/arena/Seat...185630122.html

For anyone interested, this piece of news as per Chris Daniels of another Hansen land purchase.

Also, and this is probably worth a separate thread, but the Sacramento Bee is reporting the Virginia Beach mayor has set a deadline of next week for a lease to be signed with an NBA team for their proposed new arena or that deal will be set aside for this year. (Here's the article: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/04/509...-deadline.html)
Not sure how Maloofs can even sign a lease with the area if the NBA has yet to even give them the okay.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:44 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Not sure how Maloofs can even sign a lease with the area if the NBA has yet to even give them the okay.
Yep. You have to believe the NBA has to not be thrilled with this development. But I feel this is also good for Seattle in the sense there will be a resolution to this sideshow one way or the other. This IMO should not have seen air and yet it's been a sore thumb to pay attention to for the past several months.

Question BTW for the folks who follow Norfolk's AHL team - what kind of fan base is there in that region for that club, and do you believe that the market could sustain an NHL team???

Old
01-04-2013, 03:48 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Yep. You have to believe the NBA has to not be thrilled with this development. But I feel this is also good for Seattle in the sense there will be a resolution to this sideshow one way or the other. This IMO should not have seen air and yet it's been a sore thumb to pay attention to for the past several months.

Question BTW for the folks who follow Norfolk's AHL team - what kind of fan base is there in that region for that club, and do you believe that the market could sustain an NHL team???
No. I lived in Virginia up until two years ago. The Hampton Roads population, while it looks good on paper, is actually mostly transient: Military facilities and colleges, (and tourism) are the big draws down there. There just isn't a big enough permanent population to support a major league sports franchise.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:15 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:

Virginia Beach, for all intents, from what I know, has an arrogant-type attitude as compared to the rest of the Peninsula, (Norfolk/Portsmouth).... the report of this proposed arena will not impact the Admirals as it claims.... they let a USL team collapse the first few years after Norfolk, in concert, with the Blackhawks, promoted the Admirals up to the AHL, after successfully being a strong member in the ECHL.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:56 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
No. I lived in Virginia up until two years ago. The Hampton Roads population, while it looks good on paper, is actually mostly transient: Military facilities and colleges, (and tourism) are the big draws down there. There just isn't a big enough permanent population to support a major league sports franchise.
Thanks to you and the other poster who chimed in for responding to my question about the Norfolk-VB market. And this post is exactly what I think about that market, too, and why I can't imagine the NBA would allow a team to move there.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:13 PM
gstommylee

VB arena is dead for the time being. So that is good news for Seattle's arena efforts.

http://blogs.wavy.com/2013/01/08/upd...ramento-kings/

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/08/509...-about-to.html

So its a wait and see if the maloofs will sell to Hansen's group and for what price.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:54 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

With what it looks like Phoenix sticking down there...Seattle's hope for NHL..expansion?

Old
01-08-2013, 04:58 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quick question:

How many of you guys go to WHL games?

What is the situation in regards to refs letting the players fight?

It seems like some games at Showare Center for Thunderbirds, the refs will only step in once the fighters go to the ice.

Others seems like they are determined to keep them apart.

This past Saturday I was at the Thunderbirds vs Spokane Chiefs game. Both teams were getting roughing/slashing etc etc penalities all day long.

I remarked to my buddy (Refs need to let them figure it out on the ice, or this is going to turn ugly).

Well the refs kept on breaking up fights all night long. So with about 30 seconds to go in the game a big fight broke out at first..eventually going down to 2 pairs of fighters. One fight thunderbird player ripped off the chief's players helmet and beat him with it..I think he hit the refs several times as well.

What are your guys thoughts on that?

Old
01-08-2013, 05:03 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Quick question:

How many of you guys go to WHL games?

What is the situation in regards to refs letting the players fight?

It seems like some games at Showare Center for Thunderbirds, the refs will only step in once the fighters go to the ice.

Others seems like they are determined to keep them apart.

This past Saturday I was at the Thunderbirds vs Spokane Chiefs game. Both teams were getting roughing/slashing etc etc penalities all day long.

I remarked to my buddy (Refs need to let them figure it out on the ice, or this is going to turn ugly).

Well the refs kept on breaking up fights all night long. So with about 30 seconds to go in the game a big fight broke out at first..eventually going down to 2 pairs of fighters. One fight thunderbird player ripped off the chief's players helmet and beat him with it..I think he hit the refs several times as well.

What are your guys thoughts on that?
I do. I'm a semi-regular at T-Birds games. Usually the games against Portland wind up having multiple fights breaking out. It varies from one group of refs to another but generally if only a couple of players are going at it they'll let it play out but if a bunch of players are brawling they'll jump in and separate them pretty quick.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Blue Regime

So now that VB is out of the picture... what other options remain for the Kings besides Seattle? Sacramento won't build an arena, NBA said no to Anaheim, what's left? Kansas City? Vancouver? Seems to me like Seattle is far and away the leader right now.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:06 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Regime View Post
So now that VB is out of the picture... what other options remain for the Kings besides Seattle? Sacramento won't build an arena, NBA said no to Anaheim, what's left? Kansas City? Vancouver? Seems to me like Seattle is far and away the leader right now.
Kansas City was where the Kings came from in the first place.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:23 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Kansas City was where the Kings came from in the first place.
Kansas City kinda puzzles me since they already have an arena built. I wonder why Maloofs aren't looking there.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:25 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Kansas City kinda puzzles me since they already have an arena built. I wonder why Maloofs aren't looking there.
Because the Kings couldn't draw flies back when they played in KC. They split for Sacramento for a reason.

Last edited by SaintPatrick33: 01-08-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 06:37 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Because the Kings couldn't draw flies back when they played in KC. The split for Sacramento for a reason.
ah gotcha.

either way the BOG meeting is in a month we should be hearing something on the team acquiring front soon if we are getting a team for 13-14 season.

All i am hearing is mostly rumors from Balmer buying the kings to its a done deal but so far its been quiet.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:16 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Regime View Post
There have been rumors/speculation in the past that San Jose might be looking - including Larry-Ellison-to-buy-the-Grizzlies-and-move-them-to-San-Jose rumors - but I'm VERY dubious of the possibility.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:21 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
There have been rumors/speculation in the past that San Jose might be looking - including Larry-Ellison-to-buy-the-Grizzlies-and-move-them-to-San-Jose rumors - but I'm VERY dubious of the possibility.

Grizzlies is off the market. They already been bought. I don't know if NBA will accept a relocation to SJ plus there might be some issue with the golden state warriors since they play to move to SF once that arena is done.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
I'm leaning towards the thought that the Maloofs will eventually sell to Hansen's group and head to the Emerald city. It's either that or another season in Sacramento.

If the Maloofs are really hurting $$$wise their best bet may be to cash out. Plus Strern wants to get back to Seattle before he rides into the sunset.

Once the move happens, that's the big trigger to break ground on the new arena. From there the NHL can expand to 32 Sea and QC....all as Emperor Bettman as foreseen.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:00 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
I'm leaning towards the thought that the Maloofs will eventually sell to Hansen's group and head to the Emerald city. It's either that or another season in Sacramento.

If the Maloofs are really hurting $$$wise their best bet may be to cash out. Plus Strern wants to get back to Seattle before he rides into the sunset.

Once the move happens, that's the big trigger to break ground on the new arena. From there the NHL can expand to 32 Sea and QC....all as Emperor Bettman as foreseen.
EIS still needs to be finished and final vote by county/city

Old
01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Grizzlies is off the market. They already been bought. I don't know if NBA will accept a relocation to SJ plus there might be some issue with the golden state warriors since they play to move to SF once that arena is done.
I know. The Ellison rumors were from back in March before the Grizzlies sold to Pera. There have been other off and on rumors that SVSE was looking for an NBA team - and had been talking to the Maloofs at one point (about the same time they were looking at Anaheim).

Old
01-08-2013, 08:10 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
I know. The Ellison rumors were from back in March before the Grizzlies sold to Pera. There have been other off and on rumors that SVSE was looking for an NBA team - and had been talking to the Maloofs at one point (about the same time they were looking at Anaheim).
imo i think San Jose has the same chance as Anaheim had not likely.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
EIS still needs to be finished and final vote by county/city
Very true indeed! Would there be enough time to get them done for next season? If they're more or less formalities, I guess the team could play longer at Key Arena.

Would hate to see another lame duck year in Sac town if they're going to leave.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:28 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Very true indeed! Would there be enough time to get them done for next season? If they're more or less formalities, I guess the team could play longer at Key Arena.

Would hate to see another lame duck year in Sac town if they're going to leave.
last i heard that the EIS wasn't going to take as long as it initially would take which is about a year (it stated in november of 2012). Yea its looking like its nothing more formalities which is offending the port union and their idiot lawyer hence the lawsuit that will start next month.

They are suing claiming that cause there was a vote that EIS is gonna be a shame. Nevermind the whole intention that hansen was gonna do a FULL EIS and the first vote was just so the process can be started where Hansen pays for the studies.

Now the port union and their dumb lawyer will have to prove harm that the agreement would make the EIS a sham. Hansen has done his homework and has been involved in the process a lot longer than July of 2011. If the judge rules that a EIS has to be done. Hansen will show judge that EIS is already taking place and will be completed before the project can move forward aka with the 2nd vote.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Mightygoose

Thanks for the summary. Hopefully the process won't take too long. Will watch with great interest.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:13 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Rumblings that the kings have been sold to Chris Hansen

Old
01-09-2013, 01:22 AM
Blue Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post