Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Ticket Holders

Old
01-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Sabadecade
LOGE Baby!

vCash: 500
After being on the waiting list last year and getting seats this year, I'm fricken going to my games. The sad part is I'll be going to less games as a member of my group with season tickets than when I was on the waiting list last year.

Anyway, my form of "boycott", if you can even call it that, was simple and a drop in the bucket no doubt but it makes me feel better, somewhat. I chose not to buy any NHL merch until the season started. I also I chose the season ticket option where they would pay me back interest as opposed to just getting my money back.

Different markets will respond differently. As for us in Winnipeg, we'll be right back into it. I have to admit it has already taken some of the excitement out of going to a game and cheering for a bunch of self-righteous players.

All I can hope for now is that, if and when the season starts, that the all the players will make it up to the fans by playing their absolute hardest each and every second of each game this season until the cup is won. Which will make for yet another unique NHL hockey season in Winnipeg!

Sabadecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Sabadecade
LOGE Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
There's no point to selling your tickets or even giving them away. They have your money if you're a season ticket holder. It'd work in some markets but not here. You'd be better off bringing a series of angry signs to hold up every game of the season.
This^

Sabadecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:59 AM
buggs
A storm is coming...

vCash: 50
Our group will be there. 48 game season means I'll give up quite a few games, but I'll still make it to five of my own and hopefully get a couple of others beyond that.

I just see no point in boycotting in this market. Too many people waiting to get your tickets anyway. Making a statement on my part is only going to allow someone else that isn't angry to go and cheer on the team, so NHL/NHLPA sees no difference - still just a warm bum in the seat that is happy to watch hockey. Might as well be me.

I do wish there was a meaningful way to get the message across that both groups are rather idiotic. But I don't see anything that will have an impact.

I will not be pleased to see the 3% increase next year after having played about half a season this year though. Still, it was laid out prior to the lockout (or early enough into it) that there is no recourse other than to bend over and take it. I would think it a great goodwill gesture on TNSE's part to waive that increase next year but I don't see it happening because it's a foolish way to run a business in some respects.

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:00 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabadecade View Post
This^
Throw frozen hamburger patties on the ice at every whistle.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:23 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Amen, if the NHL comes back this season we need a FANS revolt and boycott to show the NHLPA, owners and NHL that fans have rights too.

To me, even starting the season this late is meaningless. Records, stats. and everything else is just meaningless. The NHL is already talking about an extra four teams making the playoffs. You've got guys who haven't played in 9 months, guys that have played a little and guys who are already banged up playing in Europe, what kind of product do you think you will have on the ice with a shortened training camps and no exhibition games.

But I will be back for the 2013-2014 season.
My concern is if this doesn't get settled in the next week, what guarantee is there that there will be something to be back for in October?

If this isn't resolved by then you might as well scrap the NHL, players will sign long term contracts to play in Europe, 2-3 US franchises will fold, corporate contracts the NHL has will disappear.

Would love to see a new Canadian hockey league or WHA type league, 10 Canadian teams and 10 from the US.

Last edited by Jet: 01-04-2013 at 12:47 PM.
sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

.. on 1290 roundtable this morning, some TSN legal beagle was saying that assuming this new vote goes through on Saturday, there is a court date set for Monday AM in NYC, some prelim thing to layout the plan going forward, but the judge at that meeting will be strongly advising the parties to get a deal done that week (before Jan 11), because if it goes to court neither party is going to like the ruling that comes out of it...
... who knows what it might be, but you gotta think it's a dark scary road that even the hardline players surely aren't stupid enough to want to travel down.... or are they???
..... I'll be stunned if something doesn't get done at the last minute...... when you put it in perspective, Fehr's basically walking over dollars to pick up dimes at this point

Back in the Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:44 PM
SCP Guy

Have not put away my Christmas bells yet because I will be at the MTS Center with them on when the season starts!

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
BrokerD

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
If people keep crawling back to the nhl, they will never learn.
They will charge you more and more, and will continuously treat you like ****.

Who would want to intentionally put themselves through that?

The 04 lockout was about cost certanty and trying to fix something that was really broken
Now it's about spoiled children arguing over money that isnt theirs
I agree with you 100% King....

I have season tix and I will be selling them IF the little babies decide to accept a more than fair deal. I understand this will not affect the bottom line of the owners or the players, but at least I have the satisfaction of not having MY money lining the pockets of these idiots.

BrokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:03 PM
BrokerD

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
If people keep crawling back to the nhl, they will never learn.
They will charge you more and more, and will continuously treat you like ****.

Who would want to intentionally put themselves through that?

The 04 lockout was about cost certanty and trying to fix something that was really broken
Now it's about spoiled children arguing over money that isnt theirs

I have season tix and I will be selling them IF the little babies decide to accept a more than fair deal. I understand this will not affect the bottom line of the owners or the players, but at least I have the satisfaction of not having MY money lining the pockets of these idiots.

BrokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
GrandChelems

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I think your nuts. Im going to all my games and can't wait for them to start. Im pissed too but understand its all about business. I can't wait to see my Jets play live again and after waiting 15 years to see NHL again I will never turn my back on the Jets! Last year was an awesome winter cause of the Jets and Im thankful to Chipman for all TNSE has done to bring them back, not going to games seems childish to me.
So much sexual innuendo there

PS. I'd like to think the Jets are above the NHL.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerD View Post

Exactly
They none of them deserve our money.

Too bad more people dont think like you

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
tbsol

I'll still be going to as many games as possibly, if they figure this out this year...

There was an email going around to season ticket holders regarding protesting the lockout at the first game.
Obviously, people are not going to boycott the games completely and give up the cost of the tickets. Not going to happen.

Instead of not showing up at the games, they are asking people to just refrain from going to your seats for the first period of the first game back. Hang out in the concourse, have a drink, grab some food and talk with friends.
But DON’T go sit in your seats and cheer for the people that created this mess. I could see the players coming out the tunnel and looking around the lower bowl seeing lots of empty seats and thinking about the damage that has been done. Probably never going to happen, but interesting idea… I’d consider doing it.

Last edited by tbsol: 01-04-2013 at 04:29 PM.
tbsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole

Apparently a lot of people were caught unawares by the nature of the NHL when they signed up for their season ticket deals. Someone should've pointed out that:
1. Ticket prices ain't cheap, and they're just going to go up (note: this may have been communicated during the "Drive to 13000" campaign).

2. Players receive very large amounts of money for their services. Even borderline NHL'ers making league minimum all take home more than 10 times the average Canadian salary. This will come as a shock to many Winnipeggers as former Jet 1.0 Keith Tkachuk was only making $6 million/season when the team left town in 1996.

3. The NHL and the NHLPA are the Hatfields and McCoys of pro sports business relationships...they tend to fight for long stretches.

4. The NHL often displays the business acumen of Robert Uihlein Jr.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:07 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerD View Post

Bang on! Really don't know why anyone would want to rush back to watch these idiots and hand over hard earned cash to do it. Boycott the NHL this time, let the owners, players and NHL know that the fans have rights too.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:33 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Bang on! Really don't know why anyone would want to rush back to watch these idiots and hand over hard earned cash to do it. Boycott the NHL this time, let the owners, players and NHL know that the fans have rights too.
I pay because I enjoy watching NHL hockey. I haven't stopped enjoying NHL hockey, so I am happy to keep watching.

I really don't understand people getting emotional about missing a handful of games. Unless you lost a job, nobody lost anything. We saved money and had to find another activity for a few months. Boo hoo.

The product is still the same.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:05 PM
hoowaa

It's logic not emotion.

The value of the 2012-13 season is not the same as a full season given it's "*" status - not work full price.

The 1st 10 games of the season will be less than pre-season quality - not worth full price.

Fans are not really being factored in by the players despite the lip service we hear - I can factor them out of my spending as a result.

The NHL is pandering to fans emotions by telling them that NHL fans are the best and that they will come back just like they did last time - the old saying "fool me once...." comes to mind.

It's not logical to to continue doing the same things expecting different results - to come back after being mistreated for a 3rd time gives both sides license to mistreat fans.

The games will be on TV - I love NHL hockey too, I will watch the Jets Channel. This is bigger than TNSE; I can separate my emotions from the business of hockey and will do so.

hoowaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:20 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I disagree. I see Gary Bettman trying to make the small market teams viable. The Jets might not need his help at this very moment, but if times ever get tough we will be thankful that he got a true 50/50 split and contract restrictions.

I don't care if I come off totally pro owner, but the players have gotten too much for too long while too many of the guys who make this league actually exist lose money. If it's one or 2 unhealthy franchises, you can say its the owners or poor location. when a third or more are losing money you have to look at costs and when players are getting more than half it's easy to see what's wrong.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I respect the opinions, sentiment, and actions of those who are done. Professional sports lock outs, strikes, and work stoppages are a slap in the face to the people who pay the bills. Collectively they are treating their customers like $&&@ and deserve whatever fait falls upon them.

However on a personal level Chipman said the last lockout that brought in the salary cap made it possible for our city to get a team back. This lockout, although ugly, is step 2 on a continuing path to ensure we can afford to have a team remain in Winnipeg long term and compete for the Stanley cup. The fight although grotesque is a nessesary evil for the City I love. TNSE stepped up and put their money on the line to bring the NHL back to Winnipeg. I am not only in for this year but I am in for as long as I live and can afford it. I am mad at the league and the players but I love our owners and the game. I look forward to growing old and making memories with my friends and family at the MTS centre.
Agree with second part.

I don't take any of this personally. It is a labour dispute, that personally effects me but it is not being done to me. I'm a union guy but I'm pro owner because the more owner friendly the agreement the better for the long term survival of the Jets. Besides the NHLPA makes a mockery of what unions originally fought for. I've been personally involved in bargaining a CBA a couple times and it is not much different then what is going on between the NHL and PA, just nobody outside the room usually gives a ****.

Now that I had my rant, damn right I'm going to the games. Can't wait.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Gawd I am really gonna miss KW and sipowicz in our GDT's

01-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Wolf357

So what will we be paying for the 2013/14 season tickets come April?
If there is a 48 game season and no pre-season. Plus isnt TN giving us 3% as well?

Any ideas what the total for next year (payment this April) will be?

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:19 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
If there is a 48 game season and no pre-season. Plus isnt TN giving us 3% as well?

Sorry I can't tell you for sure. I'm on the monthly payment plan and they stopped collecting monthly payments in December, with the reason that we have paid enough for the max amount of possible games this season. Hopefully there will be a little left over in the TN bank to off set the playoff tickets

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:24 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

in the end... the ones who whine about the lockout are the ones who will be back (whether it takes a year or two matters not) and will not hurt the NHL or NHLPA

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Saunderosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbsol View Post
I'll still be going to as many games as possibly, if they figure this out this year...

There was an email going around to season ticket holders regarding protesting the lockout at the first game.
Obviously, people are not going to boycott the games completely and give up the cost of the tickets. Not going to happen.

Instead of not showing up at the games, they are asking people to just refrain from going to your seats for the first period of the first game back. Hang out in the concourse, have a drink, grab some food and talk with friends.
But DON’T go sit in your seats and cheer for the people that created this mess. I could see the players coming out the tunnel and looking around the lower bowl seeing lots of empty seats and thinking about the damage that has been done. Probably never going to happen, but interesting idea… I’d consider doing it.
I am a season ticket holder and will be attending games because I love the game and I enjoy watching it played at its highest level. Something I will take back for myself.

But saying that I would be absolutely all over something like this if it caught steam. I really can't see it happening the first period, but maybe the second.

Another thought which may be even more obvious is if everyone left their seats midway through the period and left for half a period. That would be in view of the players, maybe even the cameras.

It would only work if the fans "stood together in solidarity".

Empty seats for the players, empty seats for the cameras, yes they have our money, the players will get their share but it would at least serve as a reminder that we, the consumers, are what makes it all possible.

Last edited by Saunderosa: 01-04-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: punctuation error
Saunderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Saunderosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunderosa View Post
Empty seats for the players, empty seats for the cameras, yes they have our money, the players will get their share but it would at least serve as a reminder that we, the consumers, are what makes it all possible.
What happens at a Coyotes game though?

Saunderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:35 PM
buggs
A storm is coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post

Broadly speaking you're looking at 24/45 x your ticket price. So your ticket price times .533 is what you'll have spent out of your account, so roughly just under half your money will still be in the account plus the 3%. But remember it's 3% per year as an interest rate, so we're looking at 5 months or so, roughly 1.4% of your total in the account as interest. That's assuming a 48 game season with 24 home games and assuming TNSE is paying interest from about September 15th, the date of the lockout.

Remember though that if the Jets make the playoffs, assuming there is a season, they'll draw from the money in your account for those tickets and they'll ding you for four games per round once they start charging.

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:03 PM
bodybreak
Whiteshell Wild

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbsol View Post

Hmmm who was sending around that email? I sure didn't get it.

Also, the post above this one I am writing (and not the quoted one) speaking about interest reminded me of something I've wondered this whole lockout... Do we keep earning the 3% interest until all our money we plunked down for STs this season is gone? (Meaning, do we keep earning interest until the Jets have played 45 home games, or do we stop earning interest after the home game #1? I wasn't sure how to interpret that part of the Jets STH FAQ).

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote