HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Rev's All-Purpose Music Appreciation Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 07:14 AM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Favourite Genre: Conscious hip-hop, Classic Rock, Alternative Rock, Country
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Common Market, The Band, Led Zeppelin, Trophy Scars, Portugal. The Man, Aesop Rock, Eric Clapton, Foo Fighters, Allman Brothers Band, Lupe Fiasco, MF DOOM, Rolling Stones, Notorious BIG, The Reason, Zac Brown Band, Garth Brooks
Favourite Songs: The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down/I Shall be Released - The Band, Re Fresh - Common Market, Never Dead - Trophy Scars
Best Album(s) ever made: The Last Waltz - The Band, Self-Titled - Common Market
Least Favourite Genre: Electronic (no soul)
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): DeadMau5
Most Over-appreciated song: Stairway to Heaven (and I'm a fan, it's just not one of their best songs IMO)
A song that you like from an artist you don't like: With Your Friends (Long Drive) - Scrillex
Favourite Song from your birth year: Anything Mozart

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I smell a duet.

^Royal: bad decision. I don't think I'd put a song on Youtube unless it was recorded from a decent source. Thus, my webcam is not a good source. Doing it so artificial and digital completely destroys any acoustically pleasing.
I was 12 or 13, give me a break.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM
dave babych returns

Ahh what the hell.

Favourite Genre: I'm going to spare everyone yet another "I like all genres" cop-out and say that most of the music I listen to most would fall under either "Folk," "Singer-Songwriter" or "Indie."

As an aside, what the hell is "indie" - has anyone ever been asked to define it? does a means of distributing music really qualify as a genre? You might as well say 'I like MP3s'.. I guess it is really just the "alternative" of the aughts.
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): I'm just going to go through my phone for now. Animal Collective, Bill Callahan/Smog, Bonnie "Prince" Billy, I really really like one Broken Social Scene album, Caribou/Manitoba, Daft Punk, Destroyer, Fleetwood Mac, The Magnetic Fields, The Microphones, Sunset Rubdown, The Tallest Man on Earth, The Velvet Underground, Wolf Parade.
Favourite Songs: I don't know.
Best Album(s) ever made: Probably the ones that have had the most sustained listening from me over the last decade would be "You Forgot It In People" (Broken Social Scene), "A River Ain't Too Much to Love" (Smog), "Feels" (Animal Collective), "Apologies to the Queen Mary" (Wolf Parade), "69 Love Songs" (The Magnetic Fields), "Destroyers Rubies" (Destroyer).
Least Favourite Genre: Jeez, I don't know. If you try to weight against "Pop" (because that is the stuff that is ubiquitous and invites hatred) it's hard to really despise any one genre. Purely in terms of the music I don't think I have a least favourite genre, although the cultures of a lot of genres seems worthy of derision.
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Christ. Umm I saw a band open for Destroyer and the Flaming Lips back at the old plaza of nations, the something or other Mints. They sucked.
Most Over-appreciated song: "Say Valley Maker"
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: That "Call Me Maybe" song from last year was super catchy, I have no real feelings towards Carly Rae Jepsen but I don't guess I'd be a fan of her music in general so let's go with that.
Favourite Song from your birth year: "Hearts and Bones"

Instruments you play: I fool around with a guitar.
Musical Experience: I fool around with a guitar.
Favourite Song you made: N/A

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:53 PM
aandbreatheme

Favourite Genre: Doesn't matter, though I'd probably say Indie/Alternative
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Florence & The Machine, Ray LaMontagne, Of Monsters and Men, Angus & Julia Stone, Bon Iver, City and Colour, Mat Kearney, Mumford & Sons, Sia, Snow Patrol, Switchfoot...
Favourite Songs: Favourite song ATM is Brother by Matt Corby (really a great song), though I'm not sure who sings the original.
Best Album(s) ever made: No idea...
Least Favourite Genre: Country
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Not sure
Most Over-appreciated song: Halleluiah
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: Pray Tell by Anberlin

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
I was 12 or 13, give me a break.
It's not as embarrassing as some of the videos I released when I was 15.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Favourite Song from your birth year: Anything Mozart
You were born when anything Mozart came out?

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:00 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
As an aside, what the hell is "indie" - has anyone ever been asked to define it? does a means of distributing music really qualify as a genre? You might as well say 'I like MP3s'.. I guess it is really just the "alternative" of the aughts.
I'm rubbish at defining stuff but if I consider this as the ultimate indie

For me, indie is where the songs have pretty simple drumming pattern (usually), kinda happy hippy tunes that makes you dance, and the singers don't have the greatest voices but they get their job done. It's really hard to explain to be honest but I don't really think bands' popularity has anything to do with the genre indie nowadays.

But then again, I might be completely wrong.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

vCash: 600
Favourite Genre: Varies. I swing from rock to classical to metal to, well, anything. Oh, and I love the bagpipes...
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Chthonic (amazing Asian folk death metal band), Springsteen, U2, etc. Trans-Siberian Orchestra ain't too bad either, when the Christmas holidays roll around.
Favourite Songs: Hard to decide. One song that does get my blood flowing is AC/DC's Shoot to Thrill.
Best Album(s) ever made: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Least Favourite Genre: Rap/hip hop. Sorry.
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Linkin Park. Deadmau5. Skrillex. Etc.
Most Over-appreciated song: Any rendition of Hallelujah that's not by Jeff Buckley.
A song that you like from an artist you don't like: Can't think of one.
Favourite Song from your birth year: Ditto.
Instruments you play: Clarinet and piano.
Musical Experience: 10 years with piano, 7 with the clarinet.

Slot 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:23 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
You were born when anything Mozart came out?

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Just making sure can never be too sure on the Internet!

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:20 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
First, great thread idea Rev!

Second, you and I have a lot of the same taste in music feebster. Bold bands are more of what I listen to. Although I have moved into more the electronic/80's new wave stuff out there like: Twin Shadow, Neon Indian and Kavinsky. Give them a listen. M83 is phenomenal. Passion Pit is good too. If you like them I'm sure you've checked out Naked and Famous, MGMT and Phantogram?

And Morrissey is one of the best lyricists I have ever had the pleasure of listening too.

Props for listing Arcade Fire first. Best band on the planet as far as I'm concerned.
Always open to some new wave. I loved Era Extraña by Neon Indian. I tried to get some people into them, but was unsuccessful. I liked what Kavinsky did for Drive (and well that whole soundtrack was pretty good). I should give him a try. Would Crystal Castles/Cut Copy count as new wave? I like them as well.

I have Naked and Famous, their debut was given a lot of time on my rotation. Didn't list them as I tried to stick to bands with more than one album. MGMT, i liked them when they first came out, sort of lost touch with them after they got played so much... everywhere. I saw Phantogram when they opened for Metric at the Malkin Bowl, was not necessarily impressed. But i guess i haven't given their studio stuff a try yet.

Arcade Fire is great and very much deserve the awards and praise they get. Although Suburbs won a grammy, Funeral will forever be their best in my mind. It's simply flawless and timeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Its a pointless exercise to try to define what indie is. It's lost all meaning, but when you meet strangers and you tell them what kind of music you listen to, it's just simplest to say Indie because most people will understand what you are referring to even though its an awful label. That's why i use it.

I went a different route one time by saying "I like Alternative music". They then asked if i liked Tool or Linkin Park. Never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Been listening to The XX - Missing quite a bit this week! So good
Love XX, but i really dislike Missing. Personally, i thought it was the weakest song on Co-exist, Angels to Sunset was perfection... then you get to missing and its just not up to par. When i saw them in October, they played that song and it was dead quiet in comparison to every other song. However, the friend i went to the concert with, Missing was one of her favorites because she just broke up with her BF and the song meant something to her. But that's the great thing about music, everyone listens to it differently.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:44 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
For me, indie is where the songs have pretty simple drumming pattern (usually), kinda happy hippy tunes that makes you dance, and the singers don't have the greatest voices but they get their job done. It's really hard to explain to be honest but I don't really think bands' popularity has anything to do with the genre indie nowadays.

But then again, I might be completely wrong.
I wouldn't say you're completely wrong, in fact I have a hard time disagreeing with any one aspect of it - but the trouble is you could come up with five other different definitions I also couldn't disagree with.

I guess my problem is that while saying "indie" is effective in communicating the types of bands one means, it is pretty darned nebulous in terms of the actual type of music. One certainly wouldn't call Fleet Foxes and say Julie Doiron similar musically, but there they all are, "indie" artists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Its a pointless exercise to try to define what indie is. It's lost all meaning, but when you meet strangers and you tell them what kind of music you listen to, it's just simplest to say Indie because most people will understand what you are referring to even though its an awful label. That's why i use it.

I went a different route one time by saying "I like Alternative music". They then asked if i liked Tool or Linkin Park. Never again.
Yeah it is convenient shorthand. I still feel like a tool using the label, in fact I find describing my taste in music according to genre to be pretty hokey in any respects (and it invariably produces mostly "I like all genres" or "anything but _______" responses which aren't exactly useful). Not having a go at the OP, but it's just.. yeah.

Just to turn things around a bit from my attempts to subvert the OP's format.. one genre I am definitely into is Swedish pop music from the aughts. The Concretes, Jens Lekman, I'm From Barcelona, Love is All, The Tallest Man on Earth, Suburban Kids With Biblical Names.. pretty prolific little country, they are.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Always open to some new wave. I loved Era Extraña by Neon Indian. I tried to get some people into them, but was unsuccessful. I liked what Kavinsky did for Drive (and well that whole soundtrack was pretty good). I should give him a try. Would Crystal Castles/Cut Copy count as new wave? I like them as well.

I have Naked and Famous, their debut was given a lot of time on my rotation. Didn't list them as I tried to stick to bands with more than one album. MGMT, i liked them when they first came out, sort of lost touch with them after they got played so much... everywhere. I saw Phantogram when they opened for Metric at the Malkin Bowl, was not necessarily impressed. But i guess i haven't given their studio stuff a try yet.

Arcade Fire is great and very much deserve the awards and praise they get. Although Suburbs won a grammy, Funeral will forever be their best in my mind. It's simply flawless and timeless.

Yes, Chrystal Castles/Cut Copy would be categorized in that grouping.

The Drive soundtrack is really strong. I was introduced to "Desire" by way of that soundtrack and through them, found Purity Ring, College and Electric, Chromatics and more...

Era Extrana was great. Lead singer of that band often collaborates with lead singer of Twin Shadow, and you can catch one influencing the other.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I'll play along...

Favourite Genre: Classic Rock, although I'm also fairly easy going to music so long as it's not overplayed; Mrs. C and Jr. have very different musical tastes than I do, so it makes for a diverse set when we're in the car.
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Van Halen, Rush, Boston, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Kansas, Journey, The Scorpions, The Beatles, Bad Company, Bruce Cockburn, Coldplay
Favourite Songs: Lots, but to name a few - Runnin' with the Devil, Unchained, 5150, Right Now, Spirit of the Radio, Findin' My Way, Subdivisions, Marathon, Foreplay/Long Time, More than a Feeling, Hush, Highway Star, Don't Fear the Reaper, Burning for You, Carry On Wayward Son, Don't Stop Believing, Rock You Like a Hurricane, Paperback Writer, Ob la di, Ob la da, Hey Jude
Least Favourite Genre: Probably mainstream pop - simply for being overplayed on the radio. I typically don't hate many songs on first listen.
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Gotye, Nikki Minaj, Chris Brown, Carly Rae Jespen
Most Over-appreciated song: Easy answer - Stairway to Heaven. Incredibly overrated.
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: Tough to say...I don't really like Led Zeppelin, but Rock 'n Roll is pretty wicked.
Favourite Song from your birth year: Hot for Teacher, Van Halen - from their aptly titled album "1984".
Instruments you play: Nothing well - can play a little guitar, piano and I sing to my showerhead frequently.
Musical Experience: I was in a garage band in high school. To say we sucked would be somewhat offensive to people who only just suck.
Favourite Song you made: Never written one.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:05 PM
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...

Sure why not, I haven't posted here much lately because of the lockout

Favourite Genre: Lesser known stuff, I guess indie, some pop-punky type stuff

Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Said the Whale, Two Door Cinema Club, Hollerado, Blink-182, Green Day, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Weezer, Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, Modest Mouse, Minus the Bear, The Tragically Hip, This Town Needs Guns, Medics, Franz Ferdinand, The Beatles, Beck, The Black Keys, Broken Social Scene, Midi Matilda, The Smashing Pumpkins

Favourite Songs: I'll try to list those I listen to right now, they are in not particular order:
1. Americanarama - Hollerado
2. Ulysses - Franz Ferdinand
3. Camillo - Said the Whale
4. Stray Heart - Green Day
5. Josie - Blink-182
6. Juliette - Hollerado
7. Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
8. My Time - Minus the Bear
9. 1979 - The Smashing Pumpkins
10. Sun - Two Door Cinema Club

My favourites right now, not of all time, that's a whole different list that don't include most of my favourite artists right now

Best Album(s) ever made: Sargent Peppers, Road Apples, Dude Ranch, Dookie, American Idiot, White Album, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Least Favourite Genre: Rap (some), Country

Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Nicki Manaj, Kanye West, Skrillex

Most Over-appreciated song: Don't really know...

A song that you like from and artist you don't like: Can't really say, because I don't listen to a lot of their music

Favourite Song from your birth year: Only Wanna Be With You - Hootie and the Blowfish

Instruments you play: Guitar (6 Years), vocals.

Musical Experience: Been in a band for a bit. Had a guy tell me he'll give me a call for a studio to record in, if I get a new band together... I also have done musicals and plays for many years, with quite a few main roles

Favourite Song you made: I've write music, not lyrics, I have quite a few cool riffs, but haven't had a chance to record any...

JumpierPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

As far as overplay goes, it's fairly good for me I listen strictly to talk radio but I usually overplay songs myself. It's a damn curse.

Anyhow, I bought the Smile Sessions from the Beach Boys today! Excited...listening to it right now. It's brilliant.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^The only time I get stuck listening to the radio is at work, where we have muzak play all day. That's primarily the reason the Goyte/Carly Rae Jespen songs get to me so badly. It's at a point where they have become an excellent cure for my will to live.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

Muzak all day? HOW DO YOU LIVE

Old
01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Muzak all day? HOW DO YOU LIVE
For the five minute drive to-and-from the office where I usually blast either Rush or Van Halen at top volume.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:43 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
^The only time I get stuck listening to the radio is at work, where we have muzak play all day. That's primarily the reason the Goyte/Carly Rae Jespen songs get to me so badly. It's at a point where they have become an excellent cure for my will to live.
You should change radio stations then, there are actually a lot of good ones out there.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
You should change radio stations then, there are actually a lot of good ones out there.
It's cute that you think I have a choice in the station.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Tim Calhoun
Genius

vCash: 325
I'm pretty much your conventional indie fan:

The Antlers, Arcade Fire, Beach House, Beirut, Cut Copy, Death Cab, The Decemberists, Enrique Iglesias, Feist, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, Hey Rosetta, Interpol, The Lumineers, M83, The Mars Volta, Modest Mouse, Of Monsters and Men, Passion Pit, Ra Ra Riot, Radiohead, The Shins, Sigur Ros, Spoon, St. Vincent, Wilco.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
I'm pretty much your conventional indie fan:

The Antlers, Arcade Fire, Beach House, Beirut, Cut Copy, Death Cab, The Decemberists, Enrique Iglesias, Feist, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, Hey Rosetta, Interpol, The Lumineers, M83, The Mars Volta, Modest Mouse, Of Monsters and Men, Passion Pit, Ra Ra Riot, Radiohead, The Shins, Sigur Ros, Spoon, St. Vincent, Wilco.
lol - you can tell I'm an old fart when I first read that as the "Spoons"...flashback to the 80s moment:

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:52 PM
I in the Eye

Favourite Genre: Indie/Alternative, Jazz, 80's.
Favourite Band(s) or Artist(s): Smashing Pumpkins, Aimee Mann, David Bowie, Sarah McLachlan, Arcade Fire, The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Bad Plus, Aphex Twin, Leonard Cohen, The Cinematic Orchestra, Mazzy Star, U2, Sting, Pearl Jam, Pavement, The Civil Wars, Nine Inch Nails, Norah Jones, Florence and the Machine, Jack White, Sleigh Bells, Dianna Krall, etc...
Favourite Songs: Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
Least Favourite Genre: Country
Least Appreciated Band or Artist(s): Michael Buble
Most Over-appreciated song: Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye
A song that you like from and artist you don't like: Want U Back, Cher Lloyd

Instruments you play: Drums.
Musical Experience: 30+ years of drums.
Favourite Song you made: Ghost in My Genes ~ In my name is a ghost... Never drank, never smoked... I put my fingers in her, to untie the rope (that kept me grounded)... I fly above the street... Below my Mother's ashes they sweep... Across the doorway, into my Father's feet... It's just dirt, it's just time... It'll fly by... A man from the future came... A master of time and space... A new bird in the same old cage... He sat on a grassy mound... He took a cigarette out... He said "I've seen the world more clearly, since I burned my house down"... etc.

I in the Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:28 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
It's cute that you think I have a choice in the station.
Ah, I'm sorry to hear that.